Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭durthacht

I don't see why the union would move away from their 'no NIE props' policy. It's worked a treat since 2012. And project players are a less attractive option now that they take five years to qualify. It'd be difficult to find a project player on the level of Dooley, Byrne and Milne anyway, I'd say. Better just to back them.

I'm not sure Munster would agree as prop is probably a difficult area for them. Wrong thread for that chat though I guess.

But like you, I would prefer to continue with the lads already on the books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Just looking at the seat availability for Saracens on Ticketmaster, seems to be heading for a sellout.

If it goes ahead...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,320 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Just looking at the seat availability for Saracens on Ticketmaster, seems to be heading for a sellout.

If it goes ahead...

Bit on social media earlier saying tickets being released that are sent back by Sarries wording seemed to suggest its close alright

salmocab wrote: »
    Bit on social media earlier saying tickets being released that are sent back by Sarries wording seemed to suggest its close alright

My gut feeling is that this game wont go ahead.

If there is no slowdown in new cases and the UK follows a similar trend to Italy then by the 4th of April they could be looking at quarantine zones and restricted travel.

Playing behind closed doors is an option, but with 3 French teams in the final 8 there are going to be real difficulties playing quarter and semi final games and if it's all going to be loss making then who knows what will happen to the competition this year.

I'm probably more inclined to think it's going to be abandoned than completed at this stage. The collapse of the public health system in Italy and the subsequent mass quarantine has dramatically altered the stakes and I think everything non essential is going to be pulled.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,061 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Should just award all the trophies to Leinster tbh.

• Advertisement

Clegg wrote: »

Save time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Sarries posted on twitter they sold out their quantity....

Now I know youc an believe Sarries as far as you can throw them :-)

Shefwedfan wrote: »

Yeah just checked on FB Leinster said ‘due to returns from the visiting team’.

Yeah just checked on FB Leinster said ‘due to returns from the visiting team’.

Its seems like Sarries twitter account can tell a few porkies as well :P:P:P:P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Including the 6Ns. For the craic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,061 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

EPCR say that at the moment all the European Quarter Final games will go ahead as scheduled.

https://www.epcrugby.com/2020/03/09/epcr-statement-quarter-final-matches/

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

EPCR say that at the moment all the European Quarter Final games will go ahead as scheduled.

That's all well and good , but yesterday Ireland were playing France this week-end and the St Patricks day Parade was going ahead..

Things are changing really fast and none in a positive way for mass gathering etc. sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,702 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

The fact that the final is in France is a huge issue. Whatever about enforcing a quarter final being played behind closed doors in the interim, the grand final of the competition is just a non-runner. Obviously there's a lot more at play and a lot more to happen between now and then but the competition could be abandoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,633 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Zebre are reportedly cancelling all training sessions and Italian government cancelling all sports events until April. At the moment the Pro14 are continuing with the 0-0 draw results for their games but I can't see that being feasible for the rest of their fixtures especially if any of the other Nations start cancelling games.

I can't see this season finishing this year at this rate. The time period for playing potential rescheduled pro14 games, Champions Cup games as well as Internationals is extremely small, especially when you take into account the summer tours and Autumn series.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,380 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Shefwedfan wrote: »

Sold tickets to all their fans.....but still had some remaining :D

This could rightly mess up our perfect season.
    I think within two or three weeks we may see some big shifts on just closing out the season. Maybe a contingency plan to finish out what’s possible with things like end of season tours getting dropped and aiming to finish the 6N and all play offs, knock outs finals etc in May and June. If too much stuff builds up nothing will get finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

This could rightly mess up our perfect season.
    I think within two or three weeks we may see some big shifts on just closing out the season. Maybe a contingency plan to finish out what’s possible with things like end of season tours getting dropped and aiming to finish the 6N and all play offs, knock outs finals etc in May and June. If too much stuff builds up nothing will get finished.
    cant see end season tours being cancelled to allow 6 nations be finished. Either 6 nations will be played early next season or not at all.

cant see end season tours being cancelled to allow 6 nations be finished. Either 6 nations will be played early next season or not at all.

Travel to Southern Hemisphere winter might not be an option by then

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I'm probably more inclined to think it's going to be abandoned than completed at this stage. The collapse of the public health system in Italy and the subsequent mass quarantine has dramatically altered the stakes and I think everything non essential is going to be pulled.

But rugby is essential!! To my mental health. I need to be able to watch rugby at the weekend :mad: I suppose I can survive on Super Rugby alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Leinster v Saracens going ahead unless told different by the government. And that's from a meeting in the Aviva today.

• Advertisement

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    Leinster v Saracens going ahead unless told different by the government. And that's from a meeting in the Aviva today.

That's going to be the case for every event for liability reasons.

FACECUTTR wrote: »

No surprise, European rugby dont want a big claim on hands for the few Saracens supporters who are travelling.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

According to the French, Ireland will play Italy on the 24th of October and then France on the 31st of October. Which will seriously impact on the amount of access Leinster have to their internationals early in the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,702 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

stephen_n wrote: »
    According to the French, Ireland will play Italy on the 24th of October and then France on the 31st of October. Which will seriously impact on the amount of access Leinster have to their internationals early in the season.

Three years in a row so. 2019 - WC, 2020 - Rescheduled 6N, 2021 - Lions. If anything, it opens the door to potentially retaining some of our senior players who may be heading off at the end of the season to keep experience in the team if we're to have a six - eight week international period with international training camps.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The Lions may get kicked to the kerb as the relief valve for all the other inevitable congestion. Its one event that does not HAVE to take place.

Of course the risk with that there is never another Lions tour again if it falls off people's radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Larbre34 wrote: »
    The Lions may get kicked to the kerb as the relief valve for all the other inevitable congestion. Its one event that does not HAVE to take place.

Of course the risk with that there is never another Lions tour again if it falls off people's radar.

Wont happen. We'll just have a packed calendar next season.

Larbre34 wrote: »

Send the English over, give our lads a rest and we can win the 6 nations in 2022

I'm guessing the quarter final is now almost certainly postponed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭scott1974

I'm guessing the quarter final is now almost certainly postponed.

Unless it's behind closed doors but a week is a long time with this virus...

• Advertisement

EPRC might just go behind doors as they cannot cancel the game as nowhere else to play it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement