Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

With rugby off for the foreseeable would now not be the perfect time to start the rds redevelopment??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

With rugby off for the foreseeable would now not be the perfect time to start the rds redevelopment??

Yes but not feasible

salmocab wrote: »
    Yes but not feasible

Plans not finalised or is the problem financial?

Plans not finalised or is the problem financial?

I’d imagine both plus the builder even if already appointed would be unlikely to be ready. There’s also logistics in a live site to be sorted as other parts of the RDS will remain active.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,486 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

salmocab wrote: »
    I’d imagine both plus the builder even if already appointed would be unlikely to be ready. There’s also logistics in a live site to be sorted as other parts of the RDS will remain active.

Plus there's also the issue that the season has only been postponed rather than cancelled.

Whilst we all know that it's likely done and dusted given the global outbreak; unless it's 100% confirmed as cancelled, that stadium is still required to host games until the end of the season as well as gigs in the Summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Plus there's also the issue that the season has only been postponed rather than cancelled.

Whilst we all know that it's likely done and dusted given the global outbreak; unless it's 100% confirmed as cancelled, that stadium is still required to host games until the end of the season as well as gigs in the Summer.

And the slight matter of the horse show, should that be going ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭VANG1

They only got 10m and needed 15m from Shane Ross. Connacht got 20m. Can’t see it happening without more government support. It would be a huge benefit to rugby and the horse show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Clegg wrote: »
    The decision to postpone/cancel is absolutely the right one. People's lives are far more important than sport. It's a shame for this Leinster squad though. I'm convinced that would have done the League and European double this season. Been playing magnificent rugby since the season began. I think that may have been the peak of this particular side too. Fardy, Sexton, Toner etc are all brilliant players, but getting in a bit now. May have seen the best of them.

Toner will be 34 in the Summer, compared to Fardy turning 36 around the same time. 34 isn't necessarily past it for a second row. He could go on for another two or even three seasons.

Healy might be a better example than Toner of someone approaching the end. I wonder will we see Dooley overtake him soon enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

With the season now over more or less they would be better to review the whole of rugby and move to a world calender, they wont get a better chance

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Minuscule silver lining, but might it convince the IRFU to give Fardy another year?

I thought the rumour was that he had been signed up for another season?

If he does stay on, maybe Baird should move to Munster? Leinster could have Ryan, Toner and Fardy in the first choice XXIII, with Molony and Dunne as backup, and Munster could have Baird and Snyman starting the big games, with Holland, Beirne and Kleyn providing cover.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Scottmactom

I thought the rumour was that he had been signed up for another season?

If he does stay on, maybe Baird should move to Munster? Leinster could have Ryan, Toner and Fardy in the first choice XXIII, with Molony and Dunne as backup, and Munster could have Baird and Snyman starting the big games, with Holland, Beirne and Kleyn providing cover.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Why would Baird leave? Leinster would be nuts to let him go! On top of that what about Ahern? Why stifle his development?
    Baird may well be promoted and I reckon he's going to pass Toner over the next 18 months. Dunne will be right behind him. He has been injured, so we can't really assess him yet. But, he's certainly one for the future.

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Why would Baird leave? Leinster would be nuts to let him go! On top of that what about Ahern? Why stifle his development?
    Baird may well be promoted and I reckon he's going to pass Toner over the next 18 months. Dunne will be right behind him. He has been injured, so we can't really assess him yet. But, he's certainly one for the future.

It won’t happen and Baird would also be crazy to move for his own development

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭jacothelad

stephen_n wrote: »
    And the slight matter of the horse show, should that be going ahead.

Neigh.......

Sorry. Couldn't help myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

jacothelad wrote: »
    Neigh.......

Sorry. Couldn't help myself.

And you usually keep the puns reigned in.

stephen_n wrote: »
    And you usually keep the puns reigned in.

I don't want to rain on your post. I Reined myself in.....:D

Dubinusa wrote: »

I'd hate to see Baird leave, but it's simply a matter of numbers. If Fardy's available, the temptation will be to stick him in the XXIII for the biggest games. James Ryan wouldn't have made his European debut as soon as he did if Fardy hadn't had to go and be with his pregnant wife who was about to give birth to a baby.

My feeling is that Baird has already proved himself in regular league games. When Leinster are winning most games with a bonus point, and often putting up 40 or 50, do you need to keep him at that level for another year, or can he push on? The opportunity needs to be there for him to move up the ladder and on to the next challenge, i.e. the biggest regular season league games, Pro14 knock-outs, and European Cup games.

The argument for Fardy as a wise old head while the internationals are away also lessens if Toner is going to be available more during those periods. Ross Molony is more experienced than at any point in the past too.

All in all, as good as Fardy has been for Leinster, I think I'd like to see Ryan, Toner and Baird as the locks in a first choice matchday squad next saison.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

If Fardy's available, the temptation will be to stick him in the XXIII for the biggest games.

That seems like unnecessary effort instead of just typing 23 as everyone else does.
    My feeling is that Baird has already proved himself in regular league games.

He has played under three and a half games collectively with only two starts, he has a bit more to do to prove himself.

I see the projected total cost of the new stand is now north of 46.5 millions surely questions need to be asked in weather to 2 and a half k extra capacity is worth such a spend.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,262 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

I see the projected total cost of the new stand is now north of 46.5 millions surely questions need to be asked in weather to 2 and a half k extra capacity is worth such a spend.

COVID-19 is going to severely delay this, can see the Horse Show getting cancelled so that's a key revenue stream for the RDS gone.

Would to be interesting to know if the commercials stipulate whether LR have to pay rent to the RDS when games are not happening. They used to have to play a minimum number of games a year, perhaps business interruption insurance will kick in.

• Advertisement

The whole of Kingspan was under £20,000,000.

It will be the same builders as well, just when they cross the border it seems to add 30-50% margin

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Its about a lot more than just capacity though. It is a crappy old stand with poor to non-existing corporate facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭ongarite

The old stand should be condemned. It's barely fit for purpose at all.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,262 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    It will be the same builders as well, just when they cross the border it seems to add 30-50% margin

Built in different times too - builder inflation.

As for the old stand, full of asbestos which adds to the redevelopment costs overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,037 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Presumably pre June 2016, when 1GBP was approximately EUR4000.

I agree about the stand needing to be replaced, but the cost is a bit eye watering. With only 10 million coming from the large scale sports grant that's a hefty price for the irfu at a time where there already under considerable strain. Can't see it going ahead for the foreseeable now.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,614 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I agree about the stand needing to be replaced, but the cost is a bit eye watering. With only 10 million coming from the large scale sports grant that's a hefty price for the irfu at a time where there already under considerable strain. Can't see it going ahead for the foreseeable now.

Correct me if I'm wrong but IRFU won't be paying for it directly, the original plan was a 15mil grant, the naming rights deal and then the RDS company paying the remainder. The IRFU don't have a stake in the actual stadium itself they're just tenants

Do STH get anything back?

• Advertisement

Correct me if I'm wrong but IRFU won't be paying for it directly, the original plan was a 15mil grant, the naming rights deal and then the RDS company paying the remainder. The IRFU don't have a stake in the actual stadium itself they're just tenants

Think irfu/Leinster were paying some and the relationship with the RDS changes from just tenants.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement