Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,221 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

No Idea what to do, I'm not sure I fancy another 400 odd volt car at the fast charger with a cold battery, 800 volts will help a lot here.

I wouldn't be too hung up on pack voltage if I were you. It will be some time before ordinary cars are really high voltage. If ever.

Tesla Model 3 nominal pack voltage is about 350V, yet it can charge at 250kW. My own 6 year old car that had its charging limited (nerfed), can still charge at 100kW.

It would be great if you could offload your ICE car and join us EV owners :pac:

Even teslas are effected in the cold according to Bjorn.

Hyundai are moving or at least releasing 800 volt tech 2020/21, according to Hyundai themselves.

The problem is that most manufacturers will not have more than around 110 Kw charging at 400 volts, like VW id.3 at 400 volts and that's all fine and dandy except the current is the main issue in cold, not the voltage and its the watts that count, voltage times amps = watts, so while cold will effect 800 volts somewhat the effects shouldn't be nearly as negative as with current tech. Still 110 Kw is acceptable if it can actually charge at that rate with a cold battery which I seriously doubt the id.3 can achieve.

I still didn't hear you offer me your S for a day ! :D

The id.3 is sadly the only half decent car coming out by November, and I doubt I'll find a 2nd hand M3, I'm not sure I can live with the boot. Model S ? well I might put you on the task of finding me one with Auto Pilot! :D

I still didn't hear you offer me your S for a day ! :D

The id.3 is sadly the only half decent car coming out by November, and I doubt I'll find a 2nd hand M3, I'm not sure I can live with the boot. Model S ? well I might put you on the task of finding me one with Auto Pilot! :D

You haven't driven Model S yet? Free test drives from Sandyford!

If you want to find a good (value) Model S, you need to do a lot of daily looking. And join the club!

But I'll gladly take you for a spin in mine once the lockdown is over and tell you everything I know about the car :)

unkel wrote: »
    You haven't driven Model S yet? Free test drives from Sandyford!

If you want to find a good (value) Model S, you need to do a lot of daily looking. And join the club!

But I'll gladly take you for a spin in mine once the lockdown is over and tell you everything I know about the car :)

No I haven't driven the Model S yet, I'd like to take one on some back roads. Don't want it to be like the Outlander where it wants to keep going straight on a bend which is not good coming from an i3 and you forget. :eek: Not good for most of the roads around here either.

I'm also not sure about the lack of CCS and not being able to use Ionity even.

Do Tesla do PCP ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

No I haven't driven the Model S yet, I'd like to take one on some back roads.

Back roads?
    You do realise the Model S is as wide as a wide, wide thing?
    Like super tanker wide?

I've heard reports of some authorities insisting on the Model S having "wide load" plates fitted & warning flags at each corner.

:D

• Advertisement

Kramer wrote: »
    Back roads?
    You do realise the Model S is as wide as a wide, wide thing?
    Like super tanker wide?

I've heard reports of some authorities insisting on the Model S having "wide load" plates fitted & warning flags at each corner.

:D

Ha ha funny, well the i3 is as wide as some of my roads here ffs, lol :D

I'm also not sure about the lack of CCS and not being able to use Ionity even.

Any Model S or Model X can be retrofitted with CCS for €475 incl. VAT from Tesla Sandyford. That's similar enough to what you paid for a few extra cables on your i3? :p

Should be able to charge at up to about 120kW on Ionity

Any more questions, take it to the Model S thread before some of the users get angry again. Usually the ones that have very little else to contribute to this forum, but their negativity :p

Any Model S or Model X can be retrofitted with CCS for €475 incl. VAT from Tesla Sandyford. That's similar enough to what you paid for a few extra cables on your i3? :p

Any more questions, take it to the Model S thread before some of the users get angry again. Usually the ones that have very little else to contribute to this forum, but their negativity :p

Haha yeah gotcha.

Indeed, I paid a bit for the 3 phase lead for the i3. :D

CCS vs Tesla ?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,058 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

... the current is the main issue in cold, not the voltage...

That doesn't make any sense wrt pack charge rates.

The cell is the limiting factor, and the cell doesn't know whether it's wired into a nominal 400V or 800V pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,145 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

How many places are there to charge at 100kw, you could probably live with the range if you can top up nearly 300km in 30 minutes, how quick can you charge it at home/work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,111 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Lumen wrote: »

The cell is the limiting factor, and the cell doesn't know whether it's wired into a nominal 400V or 800V pack.

The higher the current the more heat. Heat is bad for charge efficiency and cell longevity.

By doubling the pack voltage they can half the current and still get the same charge rate.

If the pack is cold you cant send high current through it but if you have an 800V pack you only need half the current so it will charge faster, all things being equal.

How many places are there to charge at 100kw, you could probably live with the range if you can top up nearly 300km in 30 minutes, how quick can you charge it at home/work?

There's some Ionity points around more on the way for the N7 which shouldn't take much longer.

300Kms in 30 mins would be a lot better than most of us have now.

Is there any at the moment, can't see any on the esb map, it's mainly around cork/limerick/ennis I'd get caught out if I was going to, I'd love one for a day just to see how I'd get on, one of my routes I do regularly is a 340km round trip with about 200km of that motorway.
    Have we a return on them, I thought they mentioned something if we're not happy can return in 2 weeks. Starting to think I'll go for a max in moonstone grey, deposit is still down and it's going to attract very little bik.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

ESB don't have any >50kW chargers installed yet, they intend to install some but they are probably at least a year away.

Do the private guys?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Do the private guys?

Just Ionity at the moment.

Lumen wrote: »

The colder the battery gets the slower the chemical reactions within the battery limiting the amount of current that can be put in and taken out, the BMS isn't limiting the power or the charger, "unless" the battery temperature is low enough to cause damage, not likely in Ireland.

In other words, internal resistance increases the colder the battery gets.

Different batteries might be more or less prone to poorer cold temps just as much as heat can effect some batteries more than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Smck1983

Older cars up to 120kW the newer ones are actually faster than superchargers up to 150kW.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

Has there been any indication of reviewers getting to test these before sales begin? If test drives aren't available I'd expect at the very least they would get some review cars to journalists before buyers have to sign contracts completely blind. There are a few decent videos online from Fully Charged, Autocar etc but they're all at least a year old in the camouflaged prototypes.

I think you've 2 weeks to hand it back if your not happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

I think you've 2 weeks to hand it back if your not happy.
    You don’t, as you have to sign the waiver during the handover.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

You don’t, as you have to sign the waiver during the handover.

I asked the question when I was at the dealer last. He categorically said "No! You take delivery and it's yours".

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

I asked the question when I was at the dealer last. He categorically said "No! You take delivery and it's yours".

Ok, maybe if you pay cash. Def not with finance.

With mid July for ordering the 1st edition in RHD, what does that mean for actual delivery of the car? Anyone know?

https://twitter.com/jstackmann/status/1257739983303184385?s=20

The UK vw site has October down for delivery in the FAQ's. Late summer has turned into early winter.

The UK vw site has October down for delivery in the FAQ's. Late summer has turned into early winter.

That sounds about right considering the ordering window was meant to be apr and is now 3 months behind.

Will VW Ireland allow a 211 reg instead of a 202, I wonder. Probably not.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

Oct delivery would be OK in the UK given their reg change in Sept - not so much here obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Irishjg

KCross wrote: »
    That sounds about right considering the ordering window was meant to be apr and is now 3 months behind.

Will VW Ireland allow a 211 reg instead of a 202, I wonder. Probably not.

Might be no harm to check with your local VW dealership as the time gets closer. There may be a waiting list and all ordered cars may not arrive at the same time. You could ask if they could place you near the end of the list with a view to holding your car registration until the new year. It’s no harm in asking at least.

When's the normal one meant to be delivered...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Is this one of the most drawn out pre orders ever for a car? And still people don't know the cost. Quite bizarre.

Advertisement