Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Mad_Lad

Deleted no quote displayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Yeah I just can't believe that anyone thinks a Kia Ceed is a nicer interior than an ID3.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,261 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭denismc

I picked up a used ID3 (2021) last year and it had the original software 2.X, and there were definitely a few glitches, but since I upgraded to 3.2 earlier this year the car has been pretty much fault free. I'm very pleased with the car overall, now starting to get over 400km per charge due to the warmer weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I think he's enjoying the attention lads. The only time I touch my screen is at 3 o'clock to change away from Ray Darcy. I don't drive sitting in the back seat like Hightower so the front speakers are perfectly adequate.

Post edited by CoBo55 on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

The idea that the buggy software is dangerous is kind of silly. You have buttons on the steering wheel to change the station/song, adjust volume and activate voice commands. You don't need the screen to do anything, even if it was a buggy mess on V2. If you find yourself looking at the screen enough while driving to say it's dangerous then you're just an idiot.

And V3 has been available for two years now...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,112 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I think the whole "can't sell 2nd hand EVs" story is total BS

It would be closer to the truth to say a bunch of dealerships offered high trade in prices for 2nd hand EVs thinking they could flip them for a profit without any problems

There's plenty of stories from the past 2 years of people getting calls from dealerships asking to buy back their EV for almost what they paid in the first place

Now those dealerships got their arses ripped out by the price cuts. They could sell their stock no problem, but they know they'll be taking a big loss on it

Personally I've no sympathy for them, going for rampant greed and then getting burnt is pure karma

Problem is now dealerships are reluctant to risk another loss making trade, so they're low balling the trade in value

Only way to get a decent offer is to probably trade in against new

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

To be fair, NCAP aren't impressed with the shift to touchscreens either

https://www.carscoops.com/2024/03/has-touchscreen-tech-gone-too-far-euro-ncap-thinks-so/

Personally I have caught myself messing with the touchscreen too much when driving. I noticed the new software now forces you to pause if you press too many buttons

I'm not sure it's any worse than any of my previous cars with buttons though. Again I tend to use the steering wheel controls more

The Travel Assist is very helpful for when you need to adjust something on the screen when driving on the motorway

"The Travel Assist is very helpful for when you need to adjust something on the screen when driving on the motorway"

LOL I nearly spat out my beer there, lol.

So you admit that travel assist is helpful while playing with the screen, not see an issue there ? travel assist won't prevent a crash neither will adaptive cruise. lol

• Advertisement

"I think the whole "can't sell 2nd hand EVs" story is total BS"

Yeah I made the whole thing up when I said I couldn't trade my id3, I did it for attention…………..ffs !

"The idea that the buggy software is dangerous is kind of silly. You have buttons on the steering wheel to change the station/song, adjust volume and activate voice commands. You don't need the screen to do anything, even if it was a buggy mess on V2. If you find yourself looking at the screen enough while driving to say it's dangerous then you're just an idiot."

LMAO, oh dear, hahahaha love it !

I think a few less beers might be in order 😉

Sober up and re-read my post man, I wasn't accusing you of making stuff up, I was accusing car dealerships of spreading lies

If you want some proof, go onto Donedeal and look at some ID.3s from various dealerships. 2021 cars can be anywhere from €20k to €34k

A lot of them have had their prices cut recently from the high 20s down closer to €20k

To me, that indicates they probably offered around €25k on trade and are now struggling to sell the car for a profit, so they're cutting prices to minimise their losses

It also means the next guy who tries to trade in will be getting a low value, since the dealership doesn't want to get burnt twice

apologies, i get you now, how did you know i was on the Peroni ? lol

They can advertise for high price but they won't move because people don't want to buy them but if they cut the price enough then maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭denismc

I was watching about a dozen ID3s on Carzone earlier this year, they all have disappeared, presumably sold.

Despite all the FUD there are plenty of savvy buyers out there picking up these cars that are good value.

As for dealers not taking in EVs, my dealer rang me up out of the blue last month asking if I wanted to trade in my Ioniq5 for a newer one, now I didn't do anything as I don't typically change my car every two years.

So does my anecdote cancel out MadLads one ?🤔

Nobody is cancelling anyone else out

It's likely your dealership had an interested customer and thought they could make two sales in a quick interval

If you're trading for cash you'll always get a lower amount than trading against new, and a non VW dealership is likely to offer a lower amount for a VW

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Comer1

Anybody here have the problem of the temperature continuously rising to the max with nothing touching the screen or buttons?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭fits

• Advertisement

I haven't seen that in my ID.4

There's been cases where the preheating temperature got overridden by the app versus what was set in the car

That looks like a busted temp slider, the way it's steadily ticking up

Agree, I think it needs a replacement infotainment screen.

"So does my anecdote cancel out MadLads one ?"

HMmmm, that's interesting, funny actually, I remember the VW sales lad telling me at the time " we'll probably be calling you up after 2 years because we expect high demand" hahahaha

I don't think VW finance people were lying to me when they said many people are handing back their id cars, I wasn't able to establish whether this was related to software, the absolute sh!t ergonomics or was it EV related, first timers, perhaps it didn't work out ?, range, charging etc, I don't know, I do remember being told "it was causing ruptions internally"

I'm not entirely anti screen, I have screen now in the Cee'd but it's only for media, it's small and it's anti reflective lol. that's it. it's so refreshing to be honest. Not everyone is into all this messing around with screens and menus. I absolutely hated the haptic "buttons" and the unlit temp controls.

I haven't driven the Ionic 5 but I did drive the EV6 and they had a better system, but it was a sh*te drive to be honest, VW should really be ashamed of the crap they churned out.

That didn't happen me, the whole thing with software is anything can happen which is why I prefer dedicated buttons and knobs for basic functions.

I have basic manual climate now and f1ck, it's brilliant !

No need to turn the round wheel back to square ffs.

I do wonder what Sheehy Motors would have said if I said I wanted to buy a brand new id3 ? See I was looking to dump the car there and possibly get cash but the sales lad did seem p1ssed off with electric cars, I got a strange vibe off him this time but no other dealer would touch it, before I was used to hearing " yeah we'll just sell it to the trade"

But, I don't think it was a bad move to get rid of it under the half rule to be honest and the folks in VW finance were more sympathetic to me than anything lol, at least I didn't get stung for excess mileage !

I think I was caught up in strange times this time around but I just couldn't live with the id3 any longer. Loosing Infotainment and speedo a couple of times was so irritating and the last time I said, that's it no more I'm getting out of this and I think I might send a video to a respected member here of my loosing infotainment and speedo and maybe he can verify here, I just can't deal with this crap working in I.T and all the bugs and shyte I have to deal with in work I want to get into a car and the bloody thing just work !

Imagine, in court, " Mad_Lad how do you plea to going 120 Km/h on the N7 ?" " Not Guilty Judge, I'm terribly sorry Judge but my instrument cluster crashed and I had only an open boot warning and no speedometer " lol. Pull the other one he'd say, 400 Euro fine and 4 penalty points !

And he'd be 100% correct, it's the drivers responsibility to ensure their vehicle is roadworthy which includes having a working speedometer. The correct thing to do in situation would be to stop driving. Anyone else would use the phone satnav to tell them their speed or use their intelligence and slow down.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

Looking at buying an EV in the next few months. Three times a week I do a 250km round trip. About 180km of the 250 would be motorway, the rest regional roads.

Taking degradation into account would a 2020/2021 58kWh ID3 do that journey in winter if I was doing let's say 100 to 110kph on the motorway? I have a zappi at home.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

Lets so some sums, say average speed on motorway is around 21 kwh/100 km ( can be higher in poor conditions )

That's 4.71 Kwh/km times 58 Kwh = 271 Kms to empty and that would be cutting it tight in my opinion, if there are chargers on route and you can live with possible 10-20 min top up then you'll be fine. You might want to give it longer charge depending on how much you might need for the rest of the day when you get home again.

Bear in mind that's a brand new battery with 58 Kwh available.

Do spend some time in the car first, get a days test drive before you buy make sure you're happy with the interior and the infotainment, don't let the wow factor of EV driving be the deciding factor in buying the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Liam2021

I have a 2020 1st, during tgecwinter I get a consistent range of 340km on a full charge. During the summer this increases to 400km. I can do a trip from Meath to Clare regularly so motorway and national routes used will average around 17kw/100 km.

Advertisement