Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

First two bugs in 2.1 for me yesterday and today.
    Yesterday my phone connected to the car and then continuously called itself on the car screen. Phone wasn't calling anything on itself if you get me, the phone wasn't calling.
    I could stop the call and the radio sound would come back on for a few seconds then it would call it's own number again on the car screen.
    Disconnected Bluetooth on the phone and it stopped. Got out of the car for a while and got back in and it still kept doing it. This morning it was back to normal.

Then today while driving had the radio on and the kids were asking me something so I lowered it. Then when I went to higher the volume on the steering wheel it was bringing the volume bar up on the bottom of the screen but wasn't going up. Then tried the head unit itself and same. Would lower but not higher. Ended up powering off the head unit and powering it on and then it started working again.

So 2.1 is not bug free

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

lafors wrote: »
    First two bugs in 2.1 for me yesterday and today.
    Yesterday my phone connected to the car and then continuously called itself on the car screen. Phone wasn't calling anything on itself if you get me, the phone wasn't calling.
    I could stop the call and the radio sound would come back on for a few seconds then it would call it's own number again on the car screen.
    Disconnected Bluetooth on the phone and it stopped. Got out of the car for a while and got back in and it still kept doing it. This morning it was back to normal.

Then today while driving had the radio on and the kids were asking me something so I lowered it. Then when I went to higher the volume on the steering wheel it was bringing the volume bar up on the bottom of the screen but wasn't going up. Then tried the head unit itself and same. Would lower but not higher. Ended up powering off the head unit and powering it on and then it started working again.

So 2.1 is not bug free

Loads of owners on 2.1 are reporting bugs. The loaner ID.3 I have is on 2.1 but won't start a timed charge. Occasionally the keyless won't work, I pull the handle and nothing happens. After I touch the outside of the handle, it clicks then it'll open normally with the inside of the handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭coward

The loaner ID.3 I have is on 2.1 but won't start a timed charge.

Yeah, that is annoying. Hard to see how that feature passed testing! The 3-month software update release cycle to the customer is too long - at least initially when bugs like this exist.

I tried a timed charge last night. Just setting a "preferred times". I know night-rate ends at 9am now but I needed the car sooner.

At the start the battery was at 45%. I guess it tries to be smart and finish the charging near the end of my preferred time. Nothing happens for the first few hours after 12:00. (I have immediate charge set to 0%). It was charging around 4:30am until 7:55. It started with a rate of 23km/h. Dropped to 12km/h. Finished at around 27km/h. Without timed charging I would get a fairly steady 29km/h.

The battery charge finished with 69%. Way off the 80% which it should have reached.

Slightly better than having to plug-in close to midnight for night-rate.

Things I will try:

+ Set charge immediately to 50%. Hopefully it starts at 12:00 and brings it up to 50% so that the latter charge period can do a bit more.

+ Define two charge periods during the night - maybe not finishing a bit of both will leave it with a higher charge than just a single charge period?

I'm only using the supplied cable, which for the 1st is marked as a 20A cable. Usually see about 29km/h in the app. For those of you with 32A cables, what charging rate do you see in the app?

548569.jpg

Anyone having issues after an update to 2.1 should make their dealer aware of the problem, so that they can enter a DISS report on their system. Enough reports of the same problems might just get them looked at.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭eagerv

coward wrote: »
    Yeah, that is annoying. Hard to see how that feature passed testing! The 3-month software update release cycle to the customer is too long - at least initially when bugs like this exist.

I tried a timed charge last night. Just setting a "preferred times". I know night-rate ends at 9am now but I needed the car sooner.

At the start the battery was at 45%. I guess it tries to be smart and finish the charging near the end of my preferred time. Nothing happens for the first few hours after 12:00. (I have immediate charge set to 0%). It was charging around 4:30am until 7:55. It started with a rate of 23km/h. Dropped to 12km/h. Finished at around 27km/h. Without timed charging I would get a fairly steady 29km/h.

The battery charge finished with 69%. Way off the 80% which it should have reached.

Slightly better than having to plug-in close to midnight for night-rate.

Things I will try:

+ Set charge immediately to 50%. Hopefully it starts at 12:00 and brings it up to 50% so that the latter charge period can do a bit more.

+ Define two charge periods during the night - maybe not finishing a bit of both will leave it with a higher charge than just a single charge period?

I'm only using the supplied cable, which for the 1st is marked as a 20A cable. Usually see about 29km/h in the app. For those of you with 32A cables, what charging rate do you see in the app?

548569.jpg

Our charge point is tethered so gives the full 7kW+. Usually see between 40-44 km/h. The standard cable that came with the ID.3 1st will only give half that speed on single phase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

This is why I only use charging scheduling on my wallbox:)
    Got my car back last Thursday after 11 days at the dealership. The car was washed but not charged as they “forgot”. Fast system start up and wireless Android Auto are great, although the latter takes couple of min to connect. There’s def stronger regen in B mode (comfort setting). The acc is still practically unusable on n40 towards the tunnel due to phantom breaking, especially between Bandon and Wilton roundabout flyovers. Overall, glad it’s back as it’s real fun to drive it:) actually going to tint the back of the car, was quoted €170 with 3 weeks waiting time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭Mr Q

I got the update from 2.0 to 2.1 last week and thankfully it went a lot smoother than some people here.

The dealer collected the car from my workplace at 09:00 and had it back at 15:30. No issues so far.

Mr Q wrote: »
    I got the update from 2.0 to 2.1 last week and thankfully it went a lot smoother than some people here.

The dealer collected the car from my workplace at 09:00 and had it back at 15:30. No issues so far.

Likewise, must say I find the screens pretty snappy now. Otherwise the car feels same as before. Was mentioned here possibly stronger regen in B, but cannot say I have noticed. I don't use B much anyway.
    The tech fella in my dealer now claims to have done more than 15 with 100% success. But sad to hear of others with problems.

eagerv wrote: »
    Likewise, must say I find the screens pretty snappy now. Otherwise the car feels same as before. Was mentioned here possibly stronger regen in B, but cannot say I have noticed. I don't use B much anyway.
    The tech fella in my dealer now claims to have done more than 15 with 100% success. But sad to hear of others with problems.

Great to hear that your update went well.

I'm a week and a half without my car at this point. I've given VW three weeks from the car becoming a brick to being fully fixed. Then I want my money back. I think that's a reasonable time frame.

I'm just looking for Volkswagen to repair one of their own cars. How hard can it be? (said in a Jeremy Clarkson voice)

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭kris_2021

Anyone did update in Tipp Town? Doing update next Tuesday and getting worried now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 ROSSWATSON

Anyone had successful 2.1 with Joe Duffy M50 ???

• Registered Users Posts: 11,114 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

If anyone with the latest software is doing any long trips anytime soon, can they try setting a fast charger as destination in the onboard navigation and see how their charging speed goes? Maybe next week when the weather gets a bit worse so the battery is cold

I was watching bits of Bjorn's livestream trip to the Arctic circle and there seems to be indications that the battery will now precondition for max charging speed if a charger is set as the destination. VW may have snuck that feature in but I wonder if it isn't fully up and running yet

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

If anyone with the latest software is doing any long trips anytime soon, can they try setting a fast charger as destination in the onboard navigation and see how their charging speed goes? Maybe next week when the weather gets a bit worse so the battery is cold

I was watching bits of Bjorn's livestream trip to the Arctic circle and there seems to be indications that the battery will now precondition for max charging speed if a charger is set as the destination. VW may have snuck that feature in but I wonder if it isn't fully up and running yet

I’ll do it tomorrow. Return cork to Dublin (for essential reasons) via Ionity in Cashel and Kill.

I’ll do it tomorrow. Return cork to Dublin (for essential reasons) via Ionity in Cashel and Kill.

I will also probably be dropping into Ionity, Gorey tomorrow (Today!) around lunch time, will give it a try. Looks to be fairly warm, perhaps 15c so probably not the best testing day..

eagerv wrote: »
    I will also probably be dropping into Ionity, Gorey tomorrow (Today!) around lunch time, will give it a try. Looks to be fairly warm, perhaps 15c so probably not the best testing day..

Yeah it'd really need to be tested in winter to be sure, bit hit and miss at the moment with the good weather

Not that I'm complaining :)

Yeah it'd really need to be tested in winter to be sure, bit hit and miss at the moment with the good weather

Not that I'm complaining :)

The battery should be cold enough as temperature dropped to 5.4C overnight. The road to cashel is hilly so consumption will be high enough. I won't preheat the car either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭rx8

I was looking at the charging rates last night.
    Yesterday I managed to get 42.1kwh into the battery in 37 minutes, 2 weeks ago when it was much colder, it took 1hr to charge 43.8 kwh.
    Both times starting below 12%, but using the exact same charger at Ionity Kill North. (probably doesn't make any difference).

Really happy now with the car after the software update, definitely feels like it's more efficient.

rx8 wrote: »
    Yesterday I managed to get 42.1kwh into the battery in 37 minutes, 2 weeks ago when it was much colder, it took 1hr to charge 43.8 kwh.
    Both times starting below 12%, but using the exact same charger at Ionity Kill North. (probably doesn't make any difference).

Really happy now with the car after the software update, definitely feels like it's more efficient.

That's 68kW average which seems about right for 10% -> 80%. Did you set the charger as destination in the charger so it would know to precondition the battery?

Although given the warm day yesterday the battery probably wouldn't need preconditioning

Just watched a video for the ID.4 charging with an ambient temp of 10C and it definitely took a few mins to ramp up but it got to the full 125kW speed.

I don't think he was navigating to the charger and the battery didn't seem to have preheated, so it could just be the warmer weather helping charging speeds

• Registered Users Posts: 12,111 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I did a Cork-Dublin run on the original software back in Dec when the temp was <8°C and I got the full 100kW back then so I dont think the test tomorrow will add much value.

Any long motorway run should get you the full 100kW as the battery will be up to temp by the time you burn through 50kWh+

The real test would be to do a short run, say, <50km and plug in the charger to the sat nav and if you see your consumption going higher than expected and getting the 100kW at your destination. That would be a better indication that the system is actively heating the battery.

KCross wrote: »
    I did a Cork-Dublin run on the original software back in Dec when the temp was <8°C and I got the full 100kW back then so I dont think the test tomorrow will add much value.

Any long motorway run should get you the full 100kW as the battery will be up to temp by the time you burn through 50kWh+

The real test would be to do a short run, say, <50km and plug in the charger to the sat nav and if you see your consumption going higher than expected and getting the 100kW at your destination. That would be a better indication that the system is actively heating the battery.

Or a fairly slow run, 80-90km/h to stop the battery self heating. If anyone has the patience for it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,111 ✭✭✭✭KCross

rx8 wrote: »

More likely to do with the temp than the software update though.

Until we can access/see the battery temperature readings its alot of guesswork really.

KCross wrote: »
    More likely to do with the temp than the software update though.

Until we can access/see the battery temperature readings its alot of guesswork really.

Can use EVNotify and an OBD dongle for that, if anyone is bothered

Ok, 100km to cashel at 123kmh indicated (120kmh gps, 102 average) with consumption 20.8kWh/100km. Burned 50% of the battery (84% to 34%) which doesn't really add up, isn't it? This would indicate the battery is only 42kWh?
    Only managed to get working the 3rd ionity charger and the speed is not great 5km/min which is less than 50kW. So far the stats are not great... BTW outside temp is 12C and I had a electric motor malfunction error just before I left. Had to lock the car for couple of min.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

None of the DAB stations are working for me today (in Wilton), is this just me or do others in Cork have this today? FM is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭KildareMan

DAB is being switched off

Tried today, but didn't notice any difference after putting in the destination. Drove gently initially, then put in Ionity Gorey as a destination. There was no range decrease in the GOM as you would expect if the battery was being heated. Was about 11c earlier, but warmer when got there, so probably too warm to see if this feature is available.

As an aside, this was probably about my 20th visit to Ionity Gorey and as yet have not seen any other car charging there. ( Apart from the occasional one at the ECars unit)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,959 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Folks am I missing something from my jack kit?

TitianGerm wrote: »

I was very worried about opening that image :)

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

I think that's the tow kit. There's no spare tyre so no jacking to be done.

You should have a kit with a can of goo and a pump/compressor that plugs into the 12 V

• Advertisement

Mines the same, but what made me go out and have a look was wondering what the metal ring is for? Turns out it's only for lifting the pack out..:D

Don't know what the bar is for, but Bjorn could probably tell us.:rolleyes:

Advertisement