Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭eagerv

Dropped my ID.3 in for the 2.1 update this afternoon, so far they have done about 5 with no problems so far. Will keep my fingers crossed.:)
    They say will be ready tomorrow afternoon, but due to work commitments will be picking up on Wed morning all going well.

I have a garage ID.3 Plus, 20 reg with same mileage as my own. Looking forward to trying the matrix lights later, but otherwise cannot see much advantage over my own base model. The seats are softer, I feel not as supportive or comfortable. And there is some ware already on the side bolsters. Also I think my 18" Goodyears are a little quieter than the 19" Continentals.

There was a 211 ID.3 and an ID.4, both white parked out the front. The camera angle doesn't do the ID.4 justice, but its a big car in comparison. White also suits it, particularly with the seat colourings. Sat in it briefly, nice machine. First I have seen, though my niece in south Wexford got a blue one last week. They love it, looking forward to a drive when ever..

5xvRCiz.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭heron_joe

The ID4s look very nice too, looking forward to seeing one in the showroom.

Got the blank screen issue today mid journey. Left the car for 15 min after reaching destination but it didn’t correct itself yet.
    Still on original software version and I’m booked in for the update early next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

My cars is still at the dealers. Screen replaced but failed the update yet again. They’ll try again tomorrow and hopefully the car will be ready Thursday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭rx8

My cars is still at the dealers. Screen replaced but failed the update yet again. They’ll try again tomorrow and hopefully the car will be ready Thursday morning.

Jeez, that sucks. Did they give you a better loaner than the polo?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

My car is bricked since an attempted update on Monday. No ETA on a replacement part.

At least I have an ID.3 1st Plus as a replacement, but I want my car back soon!

These bricking issues have been known about since the first attempts to update cars to 2.0 last December. Why have VW done nothing to have a stock of ICAS1 and ICAS 3 units available to keep customer cars on the road?

I will be very unhappy if my car isn't fit for purpose again in 2 weeks time.

• Advertisement

rx8 wrote: »
    Jeez, that sucks. Did they give you a better loaner than the polo?

Nope. I drive my golf to the shops:)

My car is bricked since an attempted update on Monday. No ETA on a replacement part.

These bricking issues have been known about since the first attempts to update cars to 2.0 last December. Why have VW done nothing to have a stock of ICAS1 and ICAS 3 units available to keep customer cars on the road?

I wonder whether the part they replaced in mine is different? Some screen control module. The part cane from the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,964 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Would it be possible to request VW cover the repayments on the car while it's off the road because of their error?

I wonder whether the part they replaced in mine is different? Some screen control module. The part cane from the UK.

That's the ICAS3 unit. I think that's more available than the ICAS1 unit. That's the car's brain.
    TitianGerm wrote: »
    Would it be possible to request VW cover the repayments on the car while it's off the road because of their error?

No repayments involved. I paid by bank transfer.

At the moment, I'm just getting my ducks in a row in case it becomes a battle. Everything is now in writing. But I really hope it doesn't come to that.

That's the ICAS3 unit. I think that's more available than the ICAS1 unit. That's the car's brain.

No repayments involved. I paid by bank transfer.

At the moment, I'm just getting my ducks in a row in case it becomes a battle. Everything is now in writing. But I really hope it doesn't come to that.

Sorry to hear Silent, you are doing the sensible thing recording everything. One very quickly forgets dates, who said what to whom etc.
    I am sure every thing will be sorted quickly however, so far I have found VW good to deal with.
    Any idea where the part is coming from? I am still waiting on my replacement Zappi from the UK. Five weeks tomorrow:mad:. Not unusual with a larger package apparently, delay is at the Irish side now.

Just got a call from Murphys to tell me I can collect car after update, I am one of the lucky ones.. Hope you and others here will be sorted soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Have to say I'm really enjoying driving this car (and that comes from someone who loves/owned big petrol engine cars).
    It's so much fun to drive while also being so easy and responsive.

But....always a but :) I drove it to work the other day, first time I've been outside 5km in it and the lane keep is a PITH, it is awful and annoying. I wish I could have it off permanently. Maybe try with my obdeleven.
    And my other dislike is the haptic buttons everywhere, they are a terrible idea. So so so unsafe, if you want to do anything you need to take your eyes off the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

lafors wrote: »
    Have to say I'm really enjoying driving this car (and that comes from someone who loves/owned big petrol engine cars).
    It's so much fun to drive while also being so easy and responsive.

But....always a but :) I drove it to work the other day, first time I've been outside 5km in it and the lane keep is a PITH, it is awful and annoying. I wish I could have it off permanently. Maybe try with my obdeleven.
    And my other dislike is the haptic buttons everywhere, they are a terrible idea. So so so unsafe, if you want to do anything you need to take your eyes off the road.

I found the lane keep annoying at first, but after 6 months driving, now I hardly ntice it and the odd time I do is because my mind has wandered from driving and it is a useful reminder to pay attention.

I'm after getting used to the buttons too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

lafors wrote: »
    [...]But....always a but :) I drove it to work the other day, first time I've been outside 5km in it and the lane keep is a PITH, it is awful and annoying. I wish I could have it off permanently. Maybe try with my obdeleven.[...]

Is it much different to the lane keeping you'd find on other cars? Or is it a case this is your first time with lane keeping?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

JohnK wrote: »
    Is it much different to the lane keeping you'd find on other cars? Or is it a case this is your first time with lane keeping?

It's more lane departure warning than lane keeping. If the cars wanders out of lane it'll warn the driver and try to jerk back to the middle of the lane. If you leave it to itself it'll sort of ping pong between the lines

It's designed as a safety system rather than a driver aid. The Travel Assist system in VWs does the proper lane following where it'll actively stay within the lane

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

It's more lane departure warning than lane keeping. If the cars wanders out of lane it'll warn the driver and try to jerk back to the middle of the lane. If you leave it to itself it'll sort of ping pong between the lines

It's designed as a safety system rather than a driver aid. The Travel Assist system in VWs does the proper lane following where it'll actively stay within the lane

And I have to say that the Travel Assist is excellent. The Ioniq was good, the Niro was better, but the ID.3 is better again. The Niro needed two lines to latch on to and once it did, everything was great. The VW recognises the edge of the road even with nothing more than grass to latch on to. It does need a little more input to stop the nag though.

The Niro sensed resistance on steering movement to stop the nag, so a quick flick of the thumb on the wheel was enough to cancel the warning. The ID.3 senses the hands on the wheel, so a grip is needed.

No more bottles of water stuck into the steering wheel. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭eko

We're coming from an eGolf to the ID.3. Anyone else have an eGolf before their ID.3? How does the ID.3 compare in terms of driving feeling, space and comfort?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ROSSWATSON

I've been having problems getting my First Mover's We Charge credit activated.

It's not resolved yet, but I did get this info from VW this evening:

"Furthermore, kindly note that the deadline for activating the We Charge charging credit of 2000 kWh has been extended from 31st March 2021 to 30th June 2021 all over Europe."

That may be of interest to some others who have been idling during lockdown ..........

heron_joe wrote: »
    The ID4s look very nice too, looking forward to seeing one in the showroom.

Got the blank screen issue today mid journey. Left the car for 15 min after reaching destination but it didn’t correct itself yet.
    Still on original software version and I’m booked in for the update early next week.

Holding down the console on/off button resolved this for me later that day. The console rebooted after 10/12 seconds.

What are peoples thoughts on mudflaps? Initially thought I wouldn’t get them fitted, was considering then perhaps just getting them fitted on the back.

What are peoples thoughts on mudflaps? Initially thought I wouldn’t get them fitted, was considering then perhaps just getting them fitted on the back.

I'm not a big fan of mud flaps. They can and will have a detrimental effect on the air flow around the car. Have you noticed the design of the plastic piece on the side, low, between the 2 wheels? That shape is to control air flow. I can't imagine adding mud flaps will help with that.

The back of the car will get filthy anyway as that's just a downside of a car designed to be slippy through the air: it pulls the air and dirt on to the back of the car.

The upside of mud flaps is that they can stop stones kicking up onto the paintwork. People say they can stop tar spots. This hasn't been my experience though.

• Advertisement

I'm not a big fan of mud flaps. They can and will have a detrimental effect on the air flow around the car. Have you noticed the design of the plastic piece on the side, low, between the 2 wheels? That shape is to control air flow. I can't imagine adding mud flaps will help with that.

The back of the car will get filthy anyway as that's just a downside of a car designed to be slippy through the air: it pulls the air and dirt on to the back of the car.

The upside of mud flaps is that they can stop stones kicking up onto the paintwork. People say they can stop tar spots. This hasn't been my experience though.

Thanks for above :) I was thinking similar, and I have noticed tar on previous cars with mudflaps fitted, so think I will leave them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

Mine went in for the update (original sw to 2.1) on Wednesday morning and I picked it up yesterday afternoon. I was given a rental loaner for the 2 days which I just used to drive home and back but I took it when offered in case anything went wrong.

All good so far. The interface seems much snappier and CarPlay works nicely. It’s great having music, podcasts and a choice of maps.

Mine went in for the update (original sw to 2.1) on Wednesday morning and I picked it up yesterday afternoon. I was given a rental loaner for the 2 days which I just used to drive home and back but I took it when offered in case anything went wrong.

All good so far. The interface seems much snappier and CarPlay works nicely. It’s great having music, podcasts and a choice of maps.

And WhatsApp message/calls:)

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭alfa_aficionado

I really hope the 2.1 update fixes the remote fob being "forgotten" by the car (no difference on 2.0) - it's starting to really annoy me now - always seems to happen when it's raining!

9.1kWp (5.6E/3.5W)

And WhatsApp message/calls:)

Does it automatically read out incoming messages? Depending on what people are sending me, I might not want that blaring out with my kids in the back :D

Does it automatically read out incoming messages? Depending on what people are sending me, I might not want that blaring out with my kids in the back :D

No, gives you the option.

Thankfully..:D

eagerv wrote: »
    No, gives you the option.

Thankfully..:D

Phew :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Greenbin

Spent hours removing tar spots from mine last Saturday. Lots over the wheel arches etc but both front doors were very bad. Back door too but not as much. Never had a car that picked them up so easily. Booked in for 2.1 update next week so phoned dealer to ask about mud flaps. They will fit @ €55 per pair while update taking place. Going to have a look at them before they are fitted and if I think they look out of place I might pass on them. Might just go for front ones to see if it helps with the tar.
    I don’t mind spending time polishing it but removing tar is a pain..

• Registered Users Posts: 18 richardob50

Greenbin wrote: »
    Spent hours removing tar spots from mine last Saturday. Lots over the wheel arches etc but both front doors were very bad. Back door too but not as much. Never had a car that picked them up so easily. Booked in for 2.1 update next week so phoned dealer to ask about mud flaps. They will fit @ €55 per pair while update taking place. Going to have a look at them before they are fitted and if I think they look out of place I might pass on them. Might just go for front ones to see if it helps with the tar.
    I don’t mind spending time polishing it but removing tar is a pain..

The car is definitely sensitive to picking up road debris on to itself. We have a gravel drive and you hear the gravel that's worked it's way into the tyre pinging off the inside of the wheel arch when I set off in the morning. I have mud flaps front and back, they're discreet and they definitely save the lower half of the car from the worse of road crap.

• Advertisement

True story: in the early days of mobiles I had a company car with hands free. There was one guy that called me regularly, my kids called him Fucking Jimmy. :D

Advertisement