Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Rega wrote: »
    14 miles this morning. Went out at 7.30. Felt like I was the only person in the world awake. Didn't meet a car or anyone else for ages as I trundled through the countryside.

It's funny because for me it's the opposite. I run most of my LSRs along the Royal Canal and have started as early as 6:45am at times (not that early at all for some :pac: ) and there are so many people out running at that hour, passing you by, giving you the nod as they go past. It feels like a little secret society that meets while the rest of the world is asleep :)

14miles this morning. They were tough enough to be honest. Strange weather. The sky was threatening to rain but it held off until I finished. Still quite humid though. I did 11miles on the canal before joining the back of parkrun.

I met the lovely ReeReeG this morning too! Thank you so much for coming over and saying hello - you are even nicer and more encouraging in real life than you are online! :)

Enjoy a well-deserved rest this evening everyone and if anybody is doing the RocknRoll half tomorrow, the best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Bananaleaf wrote:
    I met the lovely ReeReeG this morning too! Thank you so much for coming over and saying hello - you are even nicer and more encouraging in real life than you are online!

I'll slip ya the 50 euro next time for that :p
    Well done again, great to put a face to at least one name on here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 kemcloughlin

Oh lads...that 12 miles this morning was tough! I set off to do it in good enough form - although I woke up with a headache that I thought would go with the water, the electrolytes, the endorphins... it didn’t and that was at 8am - I still have it! Paracetamol now taken so fingers crossed.

I chose Lough Boora Blue cycle route for the 12 miles. I planted two bottles of water at 6k and 12k in advance. Before leaving home I had my weetabix and milk and a banana as is usual for me. I drank 800ml with a Nuum tablet and en route I enjoyed one packet of Stingers.

The first three miles were lovely. But I was running those with my husband and in hindsight I was going too fast - although he finds that hilarious - he reckons I have an art of moving my legs and not actually going anywhere! Anyway I have told him from now on we have to run alone. By mile 6 he had gone ahead of me - from mile 7 onwards it was very tough. I got slower and slower but i didn’t give up.

After it was finished I didn’t feel the same euphoria as usual. Very quiet in myself and absolutely exhausted - no pain (except for the fecking headache) I didn’t go for coffee and cake as usual as there was no way I could face food, sitting on a chair or people.

We went home and I had some Gosh! Sag Aloo bites and hummus and I fell asleep on the sofa for two hours.

I woke up with the same headache...

At this precise moment I am fairly fed up...based on this there is no way I am going to be able to run 26.2 miles. 12 miles took me 2 hours 27...and I feel utterly miserable and exhausted!

But trying to stay positive, I felt like this after the Roscommon 10 miles - worse in fact as I had terrible cramps - but the 10 mile I did a couple of weeks ago on this plan I felt great after...maybe it’s just the headache.

Sorry to be so miserable! Looking forward to tomorrow’s swim. I will keep going and reevaluate after the Tullamore half marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Oh lads...that 12 miles this morning was tough! I set off to do it in good enough form - although I woke up with a headache that I thought would go with the water, the electrolytes, the endorphins... it didn’t and that was at 8am - I still have it! Paracetamol now taken so fingers crossed.

I chose Lough Boora Blue cycle route for the 12 miles. I planted two bottles of water at 6k and 12k in advance. Before leaving home I had my weetabix and milk and a banana as is usual for me. I drank 800ml with a Nuum tablet and en route I enjoyed one packet of Stingers.

The first three miles were lovely. But I was running those with my husband and in hindsight I was going too fast - although he finds that hilarious - he reckons I have an art of moving my legs and not actually going anywhere! Anyway I have told him from now on we have to run alone. By mile 6 he had gone ahead of me - from mile 7 onwards it was very tough. I got slower and slower but i didn’t give up.

After it was finished I didn’t feel the same euphoria as usual. Very quiet in myself and absolutely exhausted - no pain (except for the fecking headache) I didn’t go for coffee and cake as usual as there was no way I could face food, sitting on a chair or people.

We went home and I had some Gosh! Sag Aloo bites and hummus and I fell asleep on the sofa for two hours.

At this precise moment I am fairly fed up...based on this there is no way I am going to be able to run 26.2 miles. 12 miles took me 2 hours 27...and I feel utterly miserable and exhausted!

But trying to stay positive, I felt like this after the Roscommon 10 miles - worse in fact as I had terrible cramps - but the 10 mile I did a couple of weeks ago on this plan I felt great after...maybe it’s just the headache.

Sorry to be so miserable! Looking forward to tomorrow’s swim. I will keep going and reevaluate after the Tullamore half marathon.

Don’t let it get you down! It’s a long road to DCM; you’ll have tough runs; you’ll have great runs and everything in between. You got it done despite it being so tough. These are the runs that will stand to you when the going gets tough on DCM day.

Do you know what caused the headache? Are you keeping hydrated?

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Irishder

Could be worse, I had to jump a fence for a toilet break. Assumed No one could see me until a double decker bus passes by!!

Well done on completing the 12 miles if it was easy anybody could do it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Irishder

Could be worse, I had to jump a fence for a toilet break. Assumed No one could see me until a double decker bus passes by!!

Well done on completing the 12 miles if it was easy anybody could do it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭py

It's the longest run to date, it was always going to have an effect on us physically and mentally as both body and mind are not used to running that distance. Next week's LSR is not much longer than today's so you shouldn't feel the same after that as the body will have adjusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭py

Preemptive post about week 7 as I'll be travelling tomorrow so unsure if I'll get a chance to report in.
    Mr. Guappa wrote:
    Did you get in all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?

Yup, all done.
    Mr. Guappa wrote:
    Did you run all the runs at an appropriate pace?

LSR a little quick but really enjoyable. Wanted to get some hills/drags when the legs were tired and it seemed to work well for me during the LSR.

Midweek runs
    1 -  5Km, 6:29/Km,  132avg HR
    2 -  10.5Km,  6:16/Km,  138avg HR
    3 -  5Km,  6:21/Km,  142avg HR
    LSR
    21Km, 6:29/Km,  143avg HR

Mr. Guappa wrote:
    Are you satisfied with how your training is progressing?

Much better week this week and looking forward to the weeks ahead where the distance is constantly increasing.

I'm away on holidays for about 2 weeks now but have the gear with me to get the runs in. I'm sure the heat and humidity training will serve me well come the end of October :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Doc76

I’m sorry you had a bad run today but please don’t be too hard on yourself! It’s all part of the training, these bad days and self doubt. Make sure you rest and hope your headache goes away. And at least you didn’t face plant during your run today in front of a big audience like I did ;) it took me nearly the same amount of time to run the 12 miles as it took you today (and I only sped up at the end because I was so embarrassed!!) ... trust me you will have plenty of company towards the back of the pack at the marathon... there’s a great atmosphere back there and as long as you keep your pace easy you can really enjoy the day/experience. I have to tell myself this too all the time—train to complete the 26.2 happy and healthy and throw specific time goals out the window for this one. There are loads of fast runners on this thread but trust me there are slower ones out there too (me included!). Keep going :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Keep the chin up kemcloughlin, it kinda sounds like you've a bit of a dose on you. If you're not in the full of your health, your body is going to let you know when you head out for a 12 mile run! It was so humid today too, despite the drizzle and wind.
    If it's any consolation, I'm wondering how the hell I'm going to keep going for 26.2 miles too... But we're not half way through this process yet and the plans are designed to get us to the start line ready to do this!
    I'll be at the back too, we'll keep each other going :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pd79

Really hard run today too, 12 mile took 2 and half hours, which I don't mind, but my knees ! The pain ! Off to physio this week also just found my head slipping with negative thoughts but feel great now, delighted to have run that length of time at any pace, that's 40km in a week, I've never ran that much before! Well done on all the runs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Really sorry to hear you had a bad run, but as many others have said some days will just be harder but the fact that you kept going shows so much strength & will defo stand to you on the day! I myself have found this mentally my toughest week but like you i am hoping being able to deal with it early on will help on the day :) My major disaster of the day was watching all my jelly babies fall into a puddle whilst i was taking a gel out of my belt :D On a serious note well done for getting through it!! You've got this ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Sorbet

It can be a bit of a rollercoaster but you should be proud that you got it done. The last few kms of my last LSR I was shuffling like a zombie and really really wanted to stop - the getting it done is the important bit because I'm guessing no matter how well we train we'll need a bit of staying power on the day - you just got some training on that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Sorbet wrote: »
    It can be a bit of a rollercoaster but you should be proud that you got it done. The last few kms of my last LSR I was shuffling like a zombie and really really wanted to stop - the getting it done is the important bit because I'm guessing no matter how well we train we'll need a bit of staying power on the day - you just got some training on that!

You've hit the nail on the head there. Couch to 5k is an 8/9 weeks plan. For people with very little running base attempting a marathon on the back of an 18 week plan is a huge ask. It will be beyond tough. These weeks of hardship will stand to you. Set a realistic goal pace and run to that. Don't be remotely concerned about whether that places you to the back of the field or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Naoise14

Hi guys! Did RNR half today as a race rather than an lsr. Found the route had a lot of drags and was really congested at some areas in Phoenix park where it was really hard to overtake people as the path was quite narrow. Don’t know if I love the whole RNR experience- I find the support at the local races is lovely, and the start time is so early for RNR that just makes it logistically annoying, but I suppose DCM will prob be similar.
    I am just wondering if someone could advise me- I’m in a bit of a limbo zone with what time to be aiming for for DCM... I have my plan, which is covering me for sub 4 or thereabouts, but I am wondering if that is where I should be aiming? I have done a few half’s and my fitness is there abouts the 1hr50 mark these days- today I did 1:50:38. Best Hm was 1:46, but life and kids blah blah blah🙂... I know the aim is just to finish on the first one, but the competitive side of me won’t let me think that way🀦*♀️ Based on my times, is sub4 doable? I struggle after some half’s with severe cramping in my legs so I am worried doing a marathon🀔

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Naoise14

Hope you are feeling better today Kemcloughlin...we all have days like that. Make sure to refuel properly today and take it easy.x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Naoise14 wrote: »
    Hi guys! Did RNR half today as a race rather than an lsr. Found the route had a lot of drags and was really congested at some areas in Phoenix park where it was really hard to overtake people as the path was quite narrow. Don’t know if I love the whole RNR experience- I find the support at the local races is lovely, and the start time is so early for RNR that just makes it logistically annoying, but I suppose DCM will prob be similar.
    I am just wondering if someone could advise me- I’m in a bit of a limbo zone with what time to be aiming for for DCM... I have my plan, which is covering me for sub 4 or thereabouts, but I am wondering if that is where I should be aiming? I have done a few half’s and my fitness is there abouts the 1hr50 mark these days- today I did 1:50:38. Best Hm was 1:46, but life and kids blah blah blah🙂... I know the aim is just to finish on the first one, but the competitive side of me won’t let me think that way🀦*♀️ Based on my times, is sub4 doable? I struggle after some half’s with severe cramping in my legs so I am worried doing a marathon🀔

Sub 1:50 is generally given as being a pre-requisite for a sub-4 marathon, so it looks like you’re not far off. I would try and quiet that competitive side if you can. Nothing wrong with having a goal that’s more than just finishing, but for your first, that goal should err on the conservative side.

Any idea what causes the cramping? Were you well hydrated?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭eabha19

Oh lads...that 12 miles this morning was tough!

Kemcloghlin - you finished it, despite feeling crappy and that will stand to you probably even more than the runs where it comes easy. This time last year I was training for the Dublin Half Marathon and I went out to do a 20k, not even my first 20k, but for whatever reason I just had a crap run. I ran out the canal 10k and back in for 20 and if I had been looping closer to home I would have given up. I walked half of it and felt like crying and felt like my confidence was totally knocked. One of my running friends commented on strava that finishing a run when you feel like that is worth a lot more and I took heart in that. The following week I went out and did the same distance and it felt much better (not easy like but much better). So well done you - getting tougher every mile! I found this week tough too and it was a step back on the boards plan to 14 miles after 16 last week. But I've been tired all week, not just running but energy levels felt low in general and my legs felt tired in mile one yesterday which doesn't bode well for the other 13! Hoping to get my mojo back this week in time for the Kilcock 10 mile race on Sunday.

Naoise14 wrote: »
    Hope you are feeling better today Kemcloughlin...we all have days like that. Make sure to refuel properly today and take it easy.x

Feeling one hundred times better today! Slept like a log last night and headache gone. I don’t know what caused it - maybe sinus related or I could blame the yoga and soundbath workshop I went to on Friday evening...Went swimming this morning and that has loosened everything up again and I am more positive today! Your stories of buses, jellies and face plants really made me smile.

At the end of the day those 26.2 DCM miles are really just the final lap of weeks and weeks of ups and downs for us all. Considering this time last year I could not run for 20 seconds - I am doing ok! Thanks for all your encouragement and wise words. Planning a nice run along Galway bay for next weeks 14 miles followed by a swim!

Let’s all keep the faith and trust the process

• Registered Users Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

WEEK 8 PREVIEW

First off, well done to those of you who raced the Rock 'n' Roll half marathon today. It's great seeing strong performances on strava and the reports here.
    Well done also to the HH guys who had their longest run and toughest week to date - nice job folks :)

How was week 7 for you?
    - Did you complete all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?
    - Did you complete all the runs at an appropriate pace?
    - Any regrets in signing up for a marathon? :eek:

Week 8 will look like this:
    Plan|Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    HHN1|rest|3m easy|6m easy|3m easy|rest|14m lsr|rest
    Boards|rest,cross or 3m rec|4m easy|1m w/u +6m pace + 1m c/d|4m easy|rest,cross or 3m rec|16m lsr|2m rec

It's another small step up in mileage on the HH plan this week, but nothing that you guys can't handle.
    Nothing new for the boards crew this week, just a routine little 16 mile long run. Please keep the midweek PMP miles realistic!

It's great to see you all supporting each other, both here and on strava. As previously mentioned, don't get too caught up worrying about other people's paces or miles - trust your plan.
    Less than 80 days to go now- best of luck for week 8 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭eabha19

WEEK 8 REVIEW

How was week 7 for you?
    Yes - was feeling tired and sluggish every run this week but did them all the same. The 14 mile stepback felt harder than last week's 16 miles but I think I was just feeling it all a bit more this week - had a bit of a cold and was falling asleep whenever I sat on the couch all week.
    I think so - my easy runs are getting slower and not necessarily intentionally. I find it hard to get the PMP just right - if I lose concentration I'll either go too fast or too slow so keep having to watch the pace. I'm aiming for 10 min miles or just over which would be 4hrs 20 min marathon I think (my maths may be faulty!)
    - Any regrets in signing up for a marathon?
    No - not a super week energy wise but I still did it. Still here and looking forward to seeing the end of the line in October. Have the Kilcock 10 mile on Sunday - hoping to do it under 1hr 30 mins which will be quite a bit pacier than current runs - hoping the legs will respond ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Did you complete all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?

Yes, all runs completed.
    Did you complete all the runs at an appropriate pace?

Yes, appropriate pace. Kept the easy runs even a tad easier on the advice of Huzzah! following a hilly LSR last week. Feel great this week.
    Any regrets in signing up for a marathon? :eek:

Regrets? No. Doubts? A few. They come and go, but as we advance through the plan I feel they are lessening in their frequency.

For those of us racing the Kilcock 10mile next Sunday, will we just swap weeks 8 and 9 entirely?

Thanks so much.

Yes.

3 mile easy 11.56/mile; 6 mile easy 12.04/mile; 3 mile easy 11.29/mile and 12 mile LSR 12.18/mile
    So doing ok pace wise on average but the 1st 6 miles of that LSR were too fast - and I think that was my downfall by the end. Anyway, learned a lesson and onwards and upwards.

No. I'm halfway through the training and there are 11 weeks to go. Still early days. Really looking forward to doing my 14 mile on Galway Bay next Saturday and I am loving my weekly swim.

Question - I am assuming I don't need to modify anything this week - Tullamore Half isn't until 31st August?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Doc76

Yes

Yes but I think the LSR could’ve been a bit slower (as I mentioned I tripped and fell toward the end of it and really sped up after that as was self conscious of my bloody knee!) good news is I didn’t do any serious damage and felt totally fine today on recovery run.

Nope! For many years I didn’t have time to properly train for a marathon and am grateful to have a bit more time to do it now. I really enjoy the little escape when I go out for these runs and doing something for myself. Hopefully this optimism will stick as the mileage creeps up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Fraggle07

No. Did RnR today so am short on the Sunday 3m rec.
    I took an extra rest day earlier in the week after physio piled on extra exercises.

My 2nd 4mile easy was a little fast. It was raining and got quite dark, I was eager to get home! I did pretty well to keep pace down in today's RnR as I was running this at LSR pace.

I really enjoyed LSR today. It felt comfortable. I didn't break a sweat or feel tired. A million miles away from last weeks' 16mile which I found tough.

Despite enjoying today's RnR half marathon. Once I stopped agony kicked in. Ive had really bad hip pain all evening. I'm hobbling about. Physio had me doing extra squat and hip exercises earlier this week. Something has gone wrong!! Will see how things go but I reckon I'll need to wind things back this week.

Nope. Just frustrating now that the injuries / pain are starting.
    I'm really enjoying the running so far.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

-Did you complete all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?

Yes, all done with a bit extra added to each.

Did you complete all the runs at an appropriate pace?

Yes. Feeling stronger than ever this week, as I'm running along I have "you can do this!" thoughts going through my head!
    The last 3 miles of the lsr yesterday were frustrating, because my heart rate was slightly up, presumably getting a little tired. But I did not feel like slowing down to accommodate this, I felt comfortable to keep going at a similar pace of earlier miles... I was getting annoyed at my watch buzzing at me! So I sort of ignored it and ran those last few miles at a pace I found comfortable.
    Love the easy running, the fact that I ran further yesterday than I've ever run in my life, but could still go about my normal day afterwards!

Tuesday: 4 miles, 11:32 mins/mile, avg HR 140bpm
    Wednesday: 7 miles, 11:25 mins/mile, avg HR 138bpm
    Thursday: 4 miles, 11:51 mins/mile, avg HR 138bpm
    Saturday: 14 miles, 11:59 mins/mile, avg HR 141bpm

Any regrets in signing up for a marathon?

No, definitely no regrets. But like Bananaleaf, some doubts :o
    Doubts that I'll actually feel ready to run as far as 26.2 miles, because 13 and14 miles I've done have felt long enough! But... 6 months ago I'd have laughed at you if you'd said I'd be out at stupid o'clock on a Saturday morning, reasonably comfortably running 14 miles :D
    So I assume that 80 days from now, the 26.2 will seem a more likely prospect :D

Good luck to all doing the Kilcock 10mile next weekend!
    Have a good week everyone! :)

Bananaleaf wrote: »

For those of us racing the Kilcock 10mile next Sunday, will we just swap weeks 8 and 9 entirely?

Thanks so much.

Yep, I'd swap them, with a slight tweak:

Week|Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    8|rest,cross or 3m rec|4m easy|4m easy w/ 5 x strides|5m easy|rest,cross or 3m rec|2m easy|RACE
    9|2m rec|rest,cross or 3m rec|1m w/u + 6m pace + 1m c/d|4m easy|rest,cross or 3m rec|16m lsr|2m rec

See how the legs are then come week 9 and perhaps adjust the PMP session if needed by reducing the number of PMP miles (you could increase the w/u and c/d to compensate).

eabha19 wrote: »
    WEEK 8 REVIEW

How was week 7 for you?
    Yes - was feeling tired and sluggish every run this week but did them all the same. The 14 mile stepback felt harder than last week's 16 miles but I think I was just feeling it all a bit more this week - had a bit of a cold and was falling asleep whenever I sat on the couch all week.
    I think so - my easy runs are getting slower and not necessarily intentionally. I find it hard to get the PMP just right - if I lose concentration I'll either go too fast or too slow so keep having to watch the pace. I'm aiming for 10 min miles or just over which would be 4hrs 20 min marathon I think (my maths may be faulty!)
    No - not a super week energy wise but I still did it. Still here and looking forward to seeing the end of the line in October. Have the Kilcock 10 mile on Sunday - hoping to do it under 1hr 30 mins which will be quite a bit pacier than current runs - hoping the legs will respond ok.

I noticed you are running the sixth day most weeks - don't be afraid to give yourself that extra day off, particularly if you're feeling overly tired and sluggish. An extra days rest can often be the best thing to do. Not sure if you're planning a few miles tomorrow, but I'd take the rest tbh.

4:20 would be 9:55/mi, but I'd stick to 10:00/mi anyway for now. Nice job on the easy pacing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

No, missed Thursdays run with a niggle.

Yes and no. Getting slower by the week. I've no plan for a finishing time, just to complete it is my goal so I'm happy.

- Any regrets in signing up for a marathon

Absolutely not! Loving the challenge.

On another note, after resting the ankle Thursday and Friday I went for the planned 19-20km yesterday afternoon.

30mins before hand got 500ml electrolytes, started the stretches and got some final details on planning out the course (my longest run ever)

Got the jacket on and the earphones connected, phone on a plastic food bag in the pocket and playlist started, off I went. 5 minutes in I heard thunder over the music, then it started p!ssing down! There was rivers on the old country roads I was on, got absolutely drenched. The first 10 - 11km flew in, the music kept me going and i had 2 longish phone calls while running too.

The last 5 km was on a main road and the rain was clearing up by then. I had a 500ml with me and was sipping every 4km or so. The last 2km was torture, almost limp and running on the spot, I think it was a mental barrier because I knew I was close to home.

Got in the door 19.05km done in 1:56:57, straight in for stretches and the fridge for a big feed! I realise this way too fast and will take it on board especially with the 14mile this Saturday. Stiff last night but fresh as a daisy today with no pains or niggles!! Delighted. Definitely my favourite run I've done so far!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

A bit late with the LSR this week but 14 hilly miles done in West Cork this morning.

My running partner's longest run.

She's ready for more, unlike me.

Advertisement