Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

- Did you complete all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?
    I’ve dropped the Monday recovery lately, might start adding it back but happy enough with the extra rest day at the moment. Switched the LSR to Sunday. Headed out Saturday evening in the rain, felt like my stomach wasn’t really settled and didn’t want to chance the long run.

- Did you complete all the runs at an appropriate pace?
    Happy with the paces. For the most part runs are slower than the slowest McMillan paces which were based on 5k time. Ran the 14 miles a fair bit quicker than the previous weeks 16. I was feeling pretty good from the start so decided to try and even pace it. Happy with the result.

- Any regrets in signing up for a marathon?
    Interesting question. Seemed to be having a lot of negative thoughts last week. I’ve been feeling a bit like I’m losing fitness, weight has stagnated or even creeped up the last few weeks, I’ve no injuries but I’ve been tired at times.

I’ve always suffered from headaches with tiredness/dehydration and find it hard to avoid them. Was pretty bad Sunday, even though I’d had the best part of a litre of water in my hydration pack and I’d been sipping water with a zero tab all morning before heading out. I wear a cap now to keep the sun off my face, and it seems to help most times but not this week. Maybe hadn’t hydrated enough over the previous days. I was off work so probably not sipping water as much as I would in normal routine.

Found myself question why I was pushing myself to run a marathon when I could have been happy running 5 and 10ks and enjoying myself. I rushed into a bit because I suppose I feel like it might be the only chance I get to do it again. I’ve mentioned before having foot pain since before the 2014 marathon and only getting a psoriatic arthritis diagnosis last year. With the pain under control I want to do this just in case it suddenly gets much worse or starts to effect a lot more than just two metatarsal heads in my right foot!

Anyway, negative thoughts be damned. I’m trusting the process and getting focussed again. Really looking forward to the 10 mile and planning to be a bit more strict on the diet and regular fluid intake.

I had to google psoriatic arthritis - fair play for taking on this marathon with that affecting your foot. Also, nicely done for getting out yesterday evening - it can be the last thing we feel like doing sometimes but 9 times out of 10 it turns out to be a great decision.

I've noticed a few times you've let the LSR drift a bit before finally getting out later in the day/weekend. It doesn't really matter once it gets done I suppose, but I like to plan ahead, get out reasonably early on the Saturday morning (when possible) and have it done and dusted, rather than "hanging over me" for the whole weekend. It might just help with the mental side of things too - a day/weekend spent satisfied and content that the run is done, rather than getting increasingly anxious that it's not done yet.

On the paces - I'd be inclined to go with PMP of 9:00/mile and easy/LSR paces around 10:00/mile for the moment. Just think you're going a touch too fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭jackc101

Charleville Half booked and first run done with the PMP of 6.15/km this morning:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭passinginterest

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    I had to google psoriatic arthritis - fair play for taking on this marathon with that affecting your foot. Also, nicely done for getting out yesterday evening - it can be the last thing we feel like doing sometimes but 9 times out of 10 it turns out to be a great decision.

I've noticed a few times you've let the LSR drift a bit before finally getting out later in the day/weekend. It doesn't really matter once it gets done I suppose, but I like to plan ahead, get out reasonably early on the Saturday morning (when possible) and have it done and dusted, rather than "hanging over me" for the whole weekend. It might just help with the mental side of things too - a day/weekend spent satisfied and content that the run is done, rather than getting increasingly anxious that it's not done yet.

On the paces - I'd be inclined to go with PMP of 9:00/mile and easy/LSR paces around 10:00/mile for the moment. Just think you're going a touch too fast.

Thanks. I’m lucky with the arthritis in that’s it’s very localised and the mildest treatment options are working well for me at the moment.

Absolutely agree on getting out the door. Nicest run I’ve had in ages yesterday when I was five minutes from writing it off. Getting out earlier on the Saturday for the LRs is something I’m trying to work on. It’s one of those fit running around life rather than life around running things.

I’ve no problem generally keeping the LRs above 10. The slight drop in mileage last week made me push slightly under (and I avoided the steeper hills). I’ve been gradually easing back the pmp, I had a lot of 8.40ish in the early weeks and mostly 8.50’s now. Part of the reason for keeping them a little quicker is the McMillan suggested paces, I picked the slower end of my 5k time to check them and I’ve still been running well outside them. I partly feel running too slow and with the lower intensity is giving me that ‘losing fitness’ feeling. I know the focus is the marathon though, and that running a quicker 5 or 10k is largely irrelevant. I’ll try keep it closer to 9 today and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

I have been following this thread silently as I couldnt get a place for Dublin and I have been doing the training plan also as i am half thinking of doing Frankfurt the same day.

I had always ran in Asics GT 1000s and never had any problems, recently switched to a pair of GT 2000s and broke them in with a slow 5k. Then I done a 23k slow run at the weekend in them and my left leg was nackered about an hour after it, hurts to put a lot of weight on it, anyone ever experience this? I am wondering if its coincidence or the new shoes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

mutley18 wrote: »
    I have been following this thread silently as I couldnt get a place for Dublin and I have been doing the training plan also as i am half thinking of doing Frankfurt the same day.

I had always ran in Asics GT 1000s and never had any problems, recently switched to a pair of GT 2000s and broke them in with a slow 5k. Then I done a 23k slow run at the weekend in them and my left leg was nackered about an hour after it, hurts to put a lot of weight on it, anyone ever experience this? I am wondering if its coincidence or the new shoes?

I run in both, although I generally favour the 1000s because I'm cheap. I'm not sure there's a big enough difference between them to cause that kind of issue, to be honest. Might be worth having it checked out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Sunday Runner

How often should running trainers be replaced? Opening a can of worms here....

I have almost 500km done on my current pair and strava is advising that I invest in a new pair.

I should probably get them soon and break them in a bit before October?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

I have almost 500km done on my current pair and strava is advising that I invest in a new pair.

There will be a lot of different opinions on this.. it really depends on how quickly they get worn down. Some people are so light on their feet that could be 1000 miles +, others not so much and find they need to replace them much sooner! I'd take a look at the soles and inside of the shoe and see if there's much wear and tear. If your feet and legs are suddenly feeling strange aches and pains, then I'd say you're fine for now.

If you do end up going for new ones, personally I've always tried to get them to 50 miles or so before wearing them for a race, but that's just personal feeling. Zero science!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭py

That's the default setting in Strava but you can actually customise the reminder. Check your settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Anyone wanna do my run for me :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Sunday Runner

And me!

I HAVE to get out tonight, even though i have some family dropping in for tea. If they aren't gone by 8pm i'll be turfing them out. My marathon buddy has backed out for this year, she just isn't in the zone. Some evenings you just need the company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

And me!

And me? :o

The Wednesday sessions are getting longer so i can't get them done on my lunch, which is defo my preferred time! Anyways was dreading this run but so glad i went out! I really enjoyed it & its the strongest I've felt in a while whilst enjoying the speed( sorry mentors i know it was a little faster than i should be going!!) My watch kept telling me i was on pace then coming upto the end of the mile it would say ahead of pace!!
    Glad to have gotten it done & actually gave me a bit of confidence that i will be able to race the 10 mile :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Have a look at this to see if anything seems familiar.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Wombled

Have a look at this

Thanks, some good advise there

Nicest run I’ve had in ages yesterday when I was five minutes from writing it off.

You inspired me to get out and do my run tonight with this sentence. I was very close to letting it go. Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭passinginterest

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    You inspired me to get out and do my run tonight with this sentence. I was very close to letting it go. Thank you :)

In a dramatic twist, I somehow forgot to put my running gear in my bag yesterday so didn’t get out at lunch and with plans after work had to push it out to today. On the plus side, if I’d skipped Tuesday and that happened I’d be two runs down!

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Irishder

Anyone else eating like a horse. Every time I look I either have food in my hand or mouth?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Irishder wrote: »
    Anyone else eating like a horse. Every time I look I either have food in my hand or mouth?

Ah, runger. I know it well. It makes it hard to make good food choices. Try and ensure you’re eating quite soon after a run and that you’re getting the appropriate mix of carbs/protein/good fats.

Another thing to consider is whether you’re well enough hydrated. Sometimes dehydration presents as hunger.

If it continues, it might be worth tracking your calorie intake using an app, just to make sure you’re taking in enough calories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Doc76

Yes! Ravenous especially the day after a long run!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Ais_Byrne7

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    I am the sane with my stomach I’ve had a few good long runs the last few weeks with cut up fig rolls they do the job with fueling and don’t seem to be impacting on my stomach.

oh wow, this is something i've never thought of - will def give them a try. thank you :)

• Advertisement

Ais_Byrne7 wrote: »
    oh wow, this is something i've never thought of - will def give them a try. thank you :)

A single fig roll has 12.4g of carbohydrate (according to google), so you would need to eat 20-25 of them during the marathon to provide adequate fuelling. You would also need to carry them with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    A single fig roll has 12.4g of carbohydrate (according to google), so you would need to eat 20-25 of them during the marathon to provide adequate fuelling. You would also need to carry them with you.

Haha...there simply is no better choice than gels for anyone without a support crew. It's a no brainer....

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Haha...there simply is no better choice than gels for anyone without a support crew. It's a no brainer....

Unfortunately my support crew are busy the 27th ;)
    After my jelly baby fiasco last week (still brings a tear to my eye :( ) i shall stick to the gels :D

Best of luck with the long runs over the weekend folks, and well done to those who have already completed theirs! Also, good luck to those of you racing over the weekend :)

A propos absolutely nothing....I'll be hanging around the Frank Duffy. Who is running it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭py

skyblue46 wrote: »
    A propos absolutely nothing....I'll be hanging around the Frank Duffy. Who is running it?

I'm doing the FD10 next week. Curiously waiting for advice on how to race it as I've not raced anything longer than 10Km before.

I find that if I'm not eating food, I'm preparing it. Either that or I'm drinking water, stretching, sleeping, napping, packing a running gear bag or ... running. :pac: It's full on!

If I can help anyone out with number collection for the Kilcock 10mile, would be happy to. I will be walking down to collect mine tomorrow evening so can pick up for others and then meet you somewhere Sunday morning if you are worried about time.

py wrote: »
    I'm doing the FD10 next week. Curiously waiting for advice on how to race it as I've not raced anything longer than 10Km before.

I'm doing this too & like you have never raced past 10k :eek:

I'm doing this too & like you have never raced past 10k :eek:

It's an easy enough course to plan for. Panic not

• Advertisement

py wrote: »

What time do race predictors give for a 10 mile race for you?

Advertisement