Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭rizzee

Did my midweek run yesterday (HH 10km) straight after work yesterday. Managed to hit the 7km mark and hobbled back to the car around the corner. Have been running with a support on the right ankle. It's not 100%, anytime I stretch or do ankle rolling exercises it keeps cracking. Albeit it's not too bad this morning and the work route was very silly in places. Not sure whether to leave today's 5km, rest tomorrow, so I'll be better for the 12 mile Saturday (have to sort out gels for this one too but that's another story)

Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

rizzee wrote: »
    Did my midweek run yesterday (HH 10km) straight after work yesterday. Managed to hit the 7km mark and hobbled back to the car around the corner. Have been running with a support on the right ankle. It's not 100%, anytime I stretch or do ankle rolling exercises it keeps cracking. Albeit it's not too bad this morning and the work route was very silly in places. Not sure whether to leave today's 5km, rest tomorrow, so I'll be better for the 12 mile Saturday (have to sort out gels for this one too but that's another story)

Any suggestions?

Can you get to a physio?

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭greentea is just wrong

cailineile wrote: »
    Morning All,

Not logged on for a few weeks, a quick update as to where I am now, Wk 6 of the plan will be done this Sunday and so far so good.

I'm doing a good bit of mobility on hips and glutes and finding its helping massively simple stuff but doing it 3/4 times per week, means i've zero niggles which i like, and feel like a new woman after doing them only takes 15 mins .

C:)

Hey Cailineile,

Sounds like you're doing mighty.

Curious to know what sort of mobility work are you doing? I have been doing some but would be great to have something a little more solid :)

Thanks

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Can you get to a physio?

Not this week anyway unfortunately. I think I will rest today and tomorrow and get as much as a LSR I can on Saturday. Will try out some mobility stretches. I'm sure I could run on it now but i don't want to make it worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

rizzee wrote: »
    Not this week anyway unfortunately. I think I will rest today and tomorrow and get as much as a LSR I can on Saturday. Will try out some mobility stretches. I'm sure I could run on it now but i don't want to make it worse.

Running with an injury will only cause it to get worse, especially if that run is a 12 mile LSR.

Would definitely try to get to a physio and get it looked at. They will be able to advise if you can carry on running or not, and also provide stretches/exercises to help it. Mileage ramps up over the next few weeks so now is the time to get it looked at

• Advertisement

Thanks, I'll make it a priority to get seen asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 kemcloughlin

On my easy runs this week I have generally slowed down my pace from last week - but my heart rate on average is only 119-129 ... am I working hard enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

On my easy runs this week I have generally slowed down my pace from last week - but my heart rate on average is only 119-129 ... am I working hard enough?

Just look at your question....why should easy be hard work? You are now properly running easy. This will pay huge dividends. I had an average HR of 115 this evening on a short easy run, it's ok.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Just look at your question....why should easy be hard work? You are now properly running easy. This will pay huge dividends. I had an average HR of 115 this evening on a short easy run, it's ok.

I hear you... my panic this evening was from browsing through the easy runs of a lot of our group on Strava - everyone’s heart rate seems to be higher than mine. I am a bit anxious about this running slow as the HH plan doesn’t have anything that requires PMP...

I hear you... my panic this evening was from browsing through the easy runs of a lot of our group on Strava - everyone’s heart rate seems to be higher than mine. I am a bit anxious about this running slow as the HH plan doesn’t have anything that requires PMP...

Then consider yourself to be in a better place to many in your group! We all have a max HR, we also have limits on how long we can run at any HR. The fact that you have such a difference between your easy pace HR and your max is a great thing :-)

• Advertisement

Then consider yourself to be in a better place to many in your group! We all have a max HR, we also have limits on how long we can run at any HR. The fact that you have such a difference between your easy pace HR and your max is a great thing :-)

OK..so stick with me on this one...I carry on with the slower pace and the lower heart rate over the next few weeks... then its half marathon time...do I then just go out at PMP and try to stick with it...what kind of heart rate should I be aiming for on a race day? What if PMP is too fast / too slow...how will I know in enough time to adjust on race day? This is all new to me SkyBlue46!

OK..so stick with me on this one...I carry on with the slower pace and the lower heart rate over the next few weeks... then its half marathon time...do I then just go out at PMP and try to stick with it...what kind of heart rate should I be aiming for on a race day? What if PMP is too fast / too slow...how will I know in enough time to adjust on race day? This is all new to me SkyBlue46!

Training and racing by heart rate is not that simple. You need to know your resting HR and your max HR to get a better picture. What is true is that the longer you can run easy without your HR rising much, the better. You are all novices finding your feet. It will take more than one marathon to get anywhere near what you are capable of. If you are doing a half at PMP it should be quite comfortable all the way. If you find it a hardship then it's time to revisit PMP

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Hi kemcloughlin :)
    Here's my probably quite simplistic understanding of how running to HR works in practice. I'm doing the same as you, but I *think* I'm a bit further along the HR process than you? So I can describe for you how it has been going for me, because it's really only kicking in over the past couple of weeks, after almost 5 months of sticking with it!
    I think we chatted a bit on Strava about the rule of thumb being to subtract your age from 180 (without actually having your VO2max measured, this is only a rule of thumb). That figure of 180 minus your age marks the upper limit of what you should allow for on your training runs. If you pass it, you slow down until you're back under your figure.
    At first, I'd have to walk a bit to bring it back down. Now, I moderate my pace a tiny bit in the knowledge it'll come back down over the next 50-100m without me having to disrupt the running flow too much!
    The upper limit I'm running to is 140. I try to maintain my HR at somewhere between 135-139 once I'm warmed up. I slow down on inclines. I speed up on declines. And now, as I said above, after 5 months, I'm definitely able to run consistently faster than I could 1, 2, 4 months ago, without hitting that maximum HR. It's also taking longer for my HR to get near my limit, and it slows back down much quicker now than it used to.
    As you know, running to your HR means you're pretty much guaranteed to feel comfortable, and able to run further, without feeling wiped out afterwards (as was the case for me before I started HR training).
    However, when it comes to racing, as long as you've built up a bit of fitness, if you're racing, you're racing! This is what your slow training has built you up for. The adrenaline surge before and around the start of the race is going to have your HR higher than normal anyway, so trying to stick below it is going to be difficult. I do monitor my HR when racing, but it generally doesn't exceed 170 for any length of time, which is fine by me. If you're anything like me, you'll be surprised at how much you can up the pace, and maintain it for some distance, despite training at a considerably slower pace all along.
    For example, my recent training runs have mostly been around 11.30-12 mins/mile, all keeping my HR below 140. I ran the 10 mile race in Edenderry a couple of weeks ago at 9.58 mins/mile (avg HR 166bpm), and I was comfortable at that, despite a lot of steady uphill drags in it.
    I'll be hoping for similar in the Tullamore HM at the end of this month... I suppose that'll help to inform what my PMP will be?
    I hope this helps to reassure you a bit... I have had my doubts about it too, but was assured that I needed to be patient, because keeping that HR low, and paces manageable, builds up your aerobic base and teaches your body to feed off your body fat reserves as a fuel source... Yay! :D
    It does seem to be kicking in for me now.

To be honest with you I would stick to the advice that the mentors give you on training paces above all else. Hopefully for most of you by now they are based on race times. These race times are real, not notional. They are singularly the best guideline to use. Using 220-age or 180-age to find training zones is simply not accurate enough to base training on.

While Strava is a great app the worst thing about it is that it leads to comparing oneself with others. There are so many variables at play that make it impossible to draw many conclusions from the training of others. Human nature being what it is we invariably see weakness in our training by comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Training and racing by heart rate is not that simple. You need to know your resting HR and your max HR to get a better picture. What is true is that the longer you can run easy without your HR rising much, the better. You are all novices finding your feet. It will take more than one marathon to get anywhere near what you are capable of. If you are doing a half at PMP it should be quite comfortable all the way. If you find it a hardship then it's time to revisit PMP

Yep - I wouldn't really race the half by HR for the reasons SB mentions. You can run the half at PMP or do it as an all-out race effort. How you get on in the half marathon will be used as a guide for setting PMP.

On your training HR being low relative to others, I had a look at your raced 5k and your HR max was 163. My max HR is 196, so if you look at my training HR, it will look quite high compared to yours but it's probably the same relative effort, if that makes sense? So, as Skyblue says, there's no real point in comparing yourself to others on Strava. HR can't really be taken out of context in that way. You're doing well slowing the runs down this week. I think it will stand to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭frash

Legs still a bit on the stiff side from the 10km race on Monday.
    To think I was contemplating doing a 5 mile race on this coming Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Completely jinxed myself, had to get 5 stitches in my chin after an accident at football training.

So plan is cancel running for a few days and reevaluate later in the week.

I cracked, back running tonight needed it.

Did the 4 easy miles I missed on Thursday, no adverse effects.

Will try and get out for the PMP run from Wednesday tomorrow morning as haven't time for the lsr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Doc76

Who’s excited for a rainy LSR tomorrow ;) Hope everyone doesn’t get too soaked! Got a ziplock bag to cover my phone... really must invest in a garmin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Doc76 wrote: »
    Who’s excited for a rainy LSR tomorrow ;) Hope everyone doesn’t get too soaked! Got a ziplock bag to cover my phone... really must invest in a garmin :)

The thoughts of it! :) I am going at 7am - 11miles alone and will join parkrun for the final 3, then breakfast with friends. According to weather forecast I'm choosing the best possible time to go.

Best of luck to all doing LSRs tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

I spent almost 5 hours in the hairdressers today getting my hair done just to get soaked tomorrow doing a 14M run :O haha that is dedication & commitment ;)

Enjoy all :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pd79

Planning on 12 miles in Phoenix park at 10am, actually looking forward to it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

I spent almost 5 hours in the hairdressers today getting my hair done just to get soaked tomorrow doing a 14M run :O haha that is dedication & commitment ;)

Enjoy all :D

Why do we do it to ourselves? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Why do we do it to ourselves? :P

No idea!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Best of luck with your long runs this morning folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

LSR completed ... my longest run ever....20km
    Any tips for runners nipple issue.

Soulsun wrote: »
    LSR completed ... my longest run ever....20km
    Any tips for runners nipple issue.

Vaseline or Bodyglide. You can get Bodyglide in most running shops. I find it better than Vaseline because it doesn't leave oily marks on material. It's great for preventing chaffing.

https://www.bodyglide.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Rega

14 miles this morning. Went out at 7.30. Felt like I was the only person in the world awake. Didn't meet a car or anyone else for ages as I trundled through the countryside. Took a gel at mile 7 and no ill effects so happy with that. Great to get back and get a bit of breakfast. Logged onto strava to see loads of you had your runs done. Well done everybody! Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

Treviso wrote: »
    Running with an injury will only cause it to get worse, especially if that run is a 12 mile LSR.

Would definitely try to get to a physio and get it looked at. They will be able to advise if you can carry on running or not, and also provide stretches/exercises to help it. Mileage ramps up over the next few weeks so now is the time to get it looked at

Just an update. Yesterday and Thursday after work I was elevating and using ice pack on and off. I feel brand new.

Called the physio Thursday (local) had no appointments til early next week. I'm going to go to them anyway to ensure it doesn't happen again.

I'm heading on the LSR shortly. Last week I really needed that sign to show that an injury or even a niggle is to be taken seriously and not messed around with. I will update with log tomorrow evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Wombled

LSR done, delighted to get it done . Pace was going okay up to mile 9 and 10. Very slow here at 13, 13.30. I was running on grass here to give my feet a break. Pace overall 12.25, lots of hills incorporated . I was wrecking my head thinking about how I am going to pace this marathon. 5 hours running with no toilet break. Is it possible?(I am female).

This week I am going to have to do my LSR Thursday morning as I am on 12 hour night shifts over the weekend ?. Is that too soon for a long run?. I don't really have much choice?. Thanks again everyone for all the support esp the mentors

Advertisement