Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Non book readers" - Season 8 Episode 4 "The Last of the S" - Spoilers post 2 fo

Options
1161718192022»

Comments

threeball wrote: »
    You'd have to laugh that when Jamie rode away from KL at the end of season 7 it was starting to snow. 2 months later they're back and it's desert. Unusual weather they get. Apparently winter wasn't coming after all.

Was that not just a sign that "winter is coming" the tree felling has some excuse given the need for resources (has no one ever played warcraft :p)

The flat nature of the surroundings is inexcusable and I'd have like a reason for desert like ground maybe you could put it down to deforestation

• Registered Users Posts: 14,561 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Was that not just a sign that "winter is coming" the tree felling has some excuse given the need for resources (has no one ever played warcraft :p)

The flat nature of the surroundings is inexcusable and I'd have like a reason for desert like ground maybe you could put it down to deforestation

Previous seasons Kings Landing scenes were shot in Croatia.
    Its all been green screen on a former shipyard in Belfast for Season 8.
    Could be cgi budget costs limiting how it looks .

• Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

lawlolawl wrote: »

Not too much positivity there from any cast member.

Could just be clever editing but it doesn't seem that way..

Hardhome was my favourite episode. The struggle against the White Walkers.
    Jon fighting for his life to kill 1 walker.
    The stare down with the Knight King as he rose the dead.
    No music, nothing. Just silence as they escaped on the boats. Relieved to escape but terrified of what was to come.

Back then, who knew they'd be killed off without any White Walker taking part in the battle. Never seeing the Knight King in actual combat. Never really knowing what they really wanted or were they were for thousands of years.

It really was a terrible ending for such a terrifying army.

I can forgive the coffee cups, some inconsistencies, some plot armor and things like that. But binning off the White Walkers so easily is my biggest gripe with the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,561 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Hardhome was my favourite episode. The struggle against the White Walkers.
    Jon fighting for his life to kill 1 walker.
    The stare down with the Knight King as he rose the dead.
    No music, nothing. Just silence as they escaped on the boats. Relieved to escape but terrified of what was to come.

Back then, who knew they'd be killed off without any White Walker taking part in the battle. Never seeing the Knight King in actual combat. Never really knowing what they really wanted or were they were for thousands of years.

I can forgive the coffee cups, some inconsistencies, some plot armor and things like that. But binning off the White Walkers so easily is my biggest gripe with the show.

We know what they wanted and it was to wipe out men and the memory of men ,( hence why they where after Bran ) ,

The White Walkers where always used as a plot devices to build story arch's for the human characters ,

Without them all of character would have remained as they always where ,So so many of the actions of characters where because of white walkers,

off the top of my head, no Wildings ,no Hoder, no point in Bran , No Nights Watch, No north accepting Danny, No Jamie going North , No red witch , No arch in Hounds story , No Brotherhood , No redemption for Theon , I'm sure there is plenty more,

• Advertisement

We know what they wanted and it was to wipe out men and the memory of men ,( hence why they where after Bran ) ,

The White Walkers where always used as a plot devices to build story arch's for the human characters ,

Without them all of character would have remained as they always where ,So so many of the actions of characters where because of white walkers,

off the top of my head, no Wildings ,no Hoder, no point in Bran , No Nights Watch, No north accepting Danny, No Jamie going North , No red witch , No arch in Hounds story , No Brotherhood , No redemption for Theon , I'm sure there is plenty more,

But thats exactly it. They were central to so many story-lines. It would have been great to give them a fitting ending.
    It felt like a bit of a cop out when they very very briefly discussed that they were just evil and wanted to wipe out humans and all memories.

Where were they for so many years? Why now? What was with the connection between the Knight King and the 3ER?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The difficulty is that he and they were linked and there was no other ending to him that could be used.

is_that_so wrote: »
    The difficulty is that he and they were linked and there was no other ending to him that could be used.

Would have been nice to see a white walker actually engage in combat though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I thought we did in the earlier sequences of them in Season 7 beyond the wall?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,071 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

is_that_so wrote: »
    I thought we did in the earlier sequences of them in Season 7 beyond the wall?

And Jon did have a big swordfight with one at Hardhome

• Advertisement

All the more reason to see them right at winterfell, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Who should they have fought?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

They were at Winterfell. The were right at the back of the army and created an ice storm when they saw Jon on the dragon. It wouldn't make any sense for the WW's to engage in a sword fight. They learned at Hardhome that Jon has a sword that can shatter them with one touch. Why would they be dumb enough to go up against that when they can simply whip up a storm?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    They were at Winterfell. The were right at the back of the army and created an ice storm when they saw Jon on the dragon. It wouldn't make any sense for the WW's to engage in a sword fight. They learned at Hardhome that Jon has a sword that can shatter them with one touch. Why would they be dumb enough to go up against that when they can simply whip up a storm?
    Or send in the massive army they created instead to wear everyone down, then raise the newly killed.

The logic behind keeping the WW back was that if one went down, a chunk of the wights went with him. Better to attack with volume than risk losing large parts of your army due to one walker falling.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

There weren't many white walkers 7 or 8?
    Did Jon kill 2? One at hardhome and 1 at the frozen lake?
    And why did everyone assume if you kill the King the other walkers and their wights would vanish,
    If he could make multiple walkers, why didn't he just make more,? Or why did he bother with any?
    If they were made from craster's baby sons shouldn't there have been more of them... (and why only Craster 's? They wiped out wildling villages, it would have been easy to take their live infants ... Anyway ....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Markcheese wrote: »
    There weren't many white walkers 7 or 8?
    Did Jon kill 2? One at hardhome and 1 at the frozen lake?
    And why did everyone assume if you kill the King the other walkers and their wights would vanish,
    If he could make multiple walkers, why didn't he just make more,? Or why did he bother with any?
    If they were made from craster's baby sons shouldn't there have been more of them... (and why only Craster 's? They wiped out wildling villages, it would have been easy to take their live infants ... Anyway ....
    Jon killed one, maybe two, can't remember.
    Sam killed one

The thought was that seeing as the wights die when their walker dies, the same would happen if the NK dies to all of them.
    Of course, no one actually knew that for certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Jon killed one, maybe two, can't remember.
    Sam killed one

The thought was that seeing as the wights die when their walker dies, the same would happen if the NK dies to all of them.
    Of course, no one actually knew that for certain.
    And of course it doesn't have to make sense... Its GOT.

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 16,071 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Markcheese wrote: »
    And of course it doesn't have to make sense... Its GOT.

Reminds me of something Harrison Ford once said about Indiana Jones. When the character was being developed, he questioned whether an archaeologist working in warm climates would be wearing a leather jacket all the time: "Then I found out he was going to carry a whip so I realised it didn't make any sense anyway.":P

Advertisement