Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Non book readers" - Season 8 Episode 4 "The Last of the S" - Spoilers post 2 fo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

The Khalasar was supposed to be 100k so 50k would make sense if half survived.
    Same with the Unsullied, that leaves about 4k ish, not including the ones that haven't completed their training when she got them.

Which means she has 50k+ of an army, plus a dragon, plus whatever Jon brought with him.

How they survived is another thing though..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,610 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Most annoying part of the episode I think. Despite there being about 50 people left alive that we could see in the ruins of Winterfell....we're told in the warroom in E04 that 'half' of Unsullied and Dothraki magically remain.

Furthermore, Vary's talks about how their combined remaining forces, versus those of Cersei (who has 10-20,000 Lannister soldiers, 20,000 Golden Company, and the Ironborn) are pretty much on an equal footing. :confused:

Could Daenarys buy some more Golden Company troops for her side or pay the current Golden Company to switch sides ?
    Meereen is a rich city and I'm sure Daenarys could raise alot of money .

That would be too logical though ,it seems the writers are doing everything in their power to weaken one side whilst strengthening the other.
    They seem intent on driving Daenarys over the edge ,to the dark side so to speak .
    Jorath gone ,Missandei gone ,Rhaegal ridiculously slaughtered by the savage Euron who seems invincible .

All the while Daenarys is intent on storming Kings Landing instead of playing the strategic game .

Its all a bit like the demise of Stannis Baratheon isnt it ,the greatest commander in Westeros reduced to a laughing stock by the same writers.
    Strategy and logic out the window .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Could some of the forces been left to protect dragonstone
    While the rest were in winterfell

• Registered Users Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Could some of the forces been left to protect dragonstone
    While the rest were in winterfell

Find it mad that Cersei and the Lannisters have left Dragonstone open and available as basically a forward operating base for any enemy to use that close to King's Landing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

J. Marston wrote: »
    A fan edit of how the farewell to Ghost could've gone drew more emotion from me than both Rhaegal and Missandei's deaths...

He's a good boy.

oof!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

A fan edit of how the farewell to Ghost could've gone drew more emotion from me than both Rhaegal and Missandei's deaths...

He's a good boy.
    The actual scene was naff but the effort to produce this one aside, that's all a bit Lassie Come Home.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Was just thinking that Missandei's final words (or word) were actually a poor choice.
    It is reported that her utterance of 'Dracarys' was said in final allegiance to Dany.
    Would she not have had Greyworm to the forefront of her thoughts at that moment given they were holding hands on the ship just before (relatively speaking)?

I think if had to speak to Dany and she had said something relating to 'Valar morghulis' it would have been more interesting given her and Dany's conversation on that in Season 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,005 ✭✭✭threeball

biggebruv wrote: »
    So did you predicted the white walkers and nk would be done early season?

Once the NK showed up at winterfell in episode 4 he was done. There was no alternative to having him defeated there with only two episodes left.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

He's a good boy.

I'm not crying :(

The fact that the best actors on the show last couple of seasons have been a giant CGI wolf and a young girl says alot about the quality on offer. Props to for the Dragons it must be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,129 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Was just thinking that Missandei's final words (or word) were actually a poor choice.
    It is reported that her utterance of 'Dracarys' was said in final allegiance to Dany.
    Would she not have had Greyworm to the forefront of her thoughts at that moment given they were holding hands on the ship just before (relatively speaking)?

I think if had to speak to Dany and she had said something relating to 'Valar morghulis' it would have been more interesting given her and Dany's conversation on that in Season 3.

Bros before hos.....or whatever the female equivalent is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,127 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Bros before hos.....or whatever the female equivalent is.

Sistas before mistas?:pac:

How they plan on getting people to invest in the spin offs after this sh1t show is a anyone's guess. The show has dropped from a potential all time great to car crash television. You're only watching because you want to see how bad it gets.

I was a late comer who didn't bother with it because I have no time for fantasy in general but I watched two episodes on sky Atlantic one night when nothing was on and I was hooked. I've watched every episode at least twice as I'd often rewatch because the options of other good tv are so limited at the moment. This season I can barely get through the first watch. There's not a hope I'd give it a second watch.

The whole premise of Dany standing 100m from the gates with 50 unsullied while at least a dozen cannons/crossbows are trained on her and no one bothers to fire a shot is farcical. The bloody Dragon is sat on his arse only 50m further back but Cersei seems to think it's better to wait for the army to arrive so they can have a decent knock or maybe she just believes in fairness all of a sudden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

threeball wrote: »
    How they plan on getting people to invest in the spin offs after this sh1t show is a anyone's guess. The show has dropped from a potential all time great to car crash television. You're only watching because you want to see how bad it gets.

The ratings have never been higher because they've turned the show into something people can talk about on Monday morning and post "YASS, SLAY KWEEN!" memes on social media about it.

It's been turned into junk TV to sell Funkopops.

lawlolawl wrote: »
    The ratings have never been higher because they've turned the show into something people can talk about on Monday morning and post "YASS, SLAY KWEEN!" memes on social media about it.

It's been turned into junk TV to sell Funkopops.

This show yes, the spinoffs will have to be exceptional to get people on-board.

This show yes, the spinoffs will have to be exceptional to get people on-board.

Even the mediocre Marvel/Star Wars films make colossal amounts of money at the box office.

This will be no different.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

How much book material do they have to work with, with the spin offs?

As if its not much, they may not last long :pac:

lawlolawl wrote: »
    Even the mediocre Marvel/Star Wars films make colossal amounts of money at the box office.

This will be no different.

They're one off events, 90 mins and you're out. Different story investing an hour of your week or regularly bingeing on 4-5hrs of crap tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

nix wrote: »
    How much book material do they have to work with, with the spin offs?

As if its not much, they may not last long :pac:

I'm not sure about spin-offs for this.

I imagine the audience will be much less as people might naturally be looking for something different anyway and this will mean the budget will be less meaning less impressive CGI and visuals. This is unlikely to lead to gaining viewers.

What made GOT so impressive at outset was variety and qty of key characters, expansive and interwoven plot lines and then CGI started to become relevant.

It'll have to be there from day one on a spin off.

XoBwLZI.jpg

Wasn't expecting this ending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 OneEyedORourke

Should I know who he is?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Any knock off would likely be like The Walking Dead knock-offs. Reasonable viewing figures, reduced budgets. They'll never capture the audience of the later seasons, though there'll certainly be interest.

Now, interestingly, the point is easily made that TWD knock-off, Fear The Walking Dead, is actually much better than TWD - this is especially true when comparing concurrent seasons, EG TWD S7 v FTWD S4.

However, viewing figures are still relatively low for the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

To my mind the writers had three big things to wrap up this season:

John being a Targaryen: made an arse of it. Totally downplayed, barely even discussed on screen

Winter is coming: from scene 1, episode 1, season 1 this has been built up so much and what did we get? A single battle that due to the dark and the ice storms we could barely see. No understanding of their motivations apart from some cryptic Bran sh*t and an unlikely (to say the least) rushed conclusion.

The Iron Throne: hasn’t happened yet but they are making an absolute balls of it so far.

Overall it has been a disaster and I am so so disappointed :(

While S7 isn't quite as bad as S8 so far, god knows I wish they would go back to this amazing exit from S6, so full of promise, and do it proper justice.

Again....all the more unforgivable given the same people that penned S7/S8 also penned most of S6 without GRRM, so we know they're capable of better.

David Benioff in fact himself wrote an award winning book which is described as a major inspiration for The Last of Us.

Baffling.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

It's basically her saying "burn them all" like the mad king did, and I think Dany is going to do just that. The scene doesn't actually make much sense so the choice of word is probably the least of its problems.

It is as silly a scene as Stalin walking up to the Reich Chancellery in May 1945, and Hitler appears on the roof with a dozen snipers and Stalin's daughter, who was somehow kidnapped.

"Do you surrender Hitler?"
    "No, but I will now execute your daughter. Stalin's daughter, do you have any last words?"
    "Build the wall"
    *Stalin's daughter is shot, and Hitler's snipers watch as Stalin walks off*
    *Hitler smirks*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwQV89TE8DQ#t=872s

For some bizarre reason, Missandei was CGI in that last scene.

While S7 isn't quite as bad as S8 so far, god knows I wish they would go back to this amazing exit from S6, so full of promise, and do it proper justice.

Again....all the more unforgivable given the same people that penned S7/S8 also penned most of S6 without GRRM, so we know they're capable of better.

David Benioff in fact himself wrote an award winning book which is described as a major inspiration for The Last of Us.

Baffling.

Yeah we seem at that 'Where did it all go wrong?' point, the Season 6 finale sure would be a nice system restore point to go back to.

I can't help but look back and think that the series really hasn't been the same since 6 words were uttered by Tyrion: "We bring the dead to her."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Maybe I'm not saying anything new here but turning it into "Drinking Games of Thrones" with losing virginity scenes? What did they think they were making, American Pie meets The Hunger Games?
    I'm just waiting for Bran to turn into his descendant Tony Stark and power pack up out of his wheelchair to save the day in the fibnal battle for Kings Landing thus closing off so many loops, putting Ironman on the Iron Throne.

To my mind the writers had three big things to wrap up this season:

John being a Targaryen: made an arse of it. Totally downplayed, barely even discussed on screen

Winter is coming: from scene 1, episode 1, season 1 this has been built up so much and what did we get? A single battle that due to the dark and the ice storms we could barely see. No understanding of their motivations apart from some cryptic Bran sh*t and an unlikely (to say the least) rushed conclusion.

The Iron Throne: hasn’t happened yet but they are making an absolute balls of it so far.

Bran has been pointless sincè he was pushed out the window. I can't think of a more pointless and utterly unlikable character in any major tv show. If he had died in that scene we'd have just as much info as we do now.

Memory of man, who doesn't talk or relay any info. What a load of crap. What's the point in knowing everything if you tell no one. It's like newton figuring out gravity but just saying fcuk it, I'm not telling them, I'm going to enjoy my apple.

Bran has been pointless sincè he was pushed out the window. I can't think of a more pointless and utterly unlikable character in any major tv show. If he had died in that scene we'd have just as much info as we do now.

Memory of man, who doesn't talk or relay any info. What a load of crap. What's the point in knowing everything if you tell no one. It's like newton figuring out gravity but just saying fcuk it, I'm not telling them, I'm going to enjoy my apple.

While Bran has served a sort of limited purpose, I would largely agree. And what's worst, is that unless the show radically pulls it out of the bag in the next 2 episodes (unlikely), re-watching the show will be nigh-on impossible knowing the majority of it goes nowhere.

• Advertisement

gibgodsman wrote: »
    Honestly I feel so far Season 8 could have just been a 2 hour long movie because we have had nothing but Filler with a let down episode 3.

Most of season 1-6 was filler to be fair

Advertisement