Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Non book readers" - Season 8 Episode 4 "The Last of the S" - Spoilers post 2 fo

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Anyone else watch "The 100" tv show? Genuinely good, alot of surprising darkness in there for a CW show, but it's waned in later seasons and like GOT, various plot lines and threads are just forgotten about/brushed over but the main character Clarke is pretty much The Dragon Queen in space. S6 just airing now.

nix wrote: »
    How much book material do they have to work with, with the spin offs?

As if its not much, they may not last long :pac:

I'm really hoping The Witcher isn't complete dog ****. There's a wealth of source material to work with there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

A few random thoughts.

I thought Missandei was going to grab Cersei and hop off the battlements with her, she actually had the opportunity and was about to die anyway. Her death was ultimately painfully straightforward and quite dull.

I'm not too bothered by Greyworm's suffering, which will inevitably be focused on, as it's basically a full reset into Unsullied mode for him, so meh. He didn't exactly have a huge personality anyway. He will be extra killy now.

You would imagine that the small force Daenerys brought to parley is being supplemented by a very close larger army as otherwise they can surely be obliterated immediately in opening scene of e5, with Tyrion getting plugged full of arrows. I don't know why Cersei would not kill him directly anyway, she's after sending a hitman to kill him ffs; the Lannisters are rarely so shy.

Cersei who was reasonably balanced at a point in time has become a bit one dimensional. Who are her allies? What are her plans? Seemingly has learnt nothing.

Another dragon killed, seemingly quite easily.

The North/ Targaryen army breaking apart as many go off on their own was odd. As to her army, I don't see how she has one as surely 95% of the Dothraki available were killed and a good 60% of the Unsullied.

The aftermath of the battle and in particular the feast was very muted and quite flat. The feast in particular had an odd tone, too civilised and rigid by far. This is a feast after surviving the battle to end all battles - fighting death itself. To have fought and won, heroes all, I'd be dancing on the bloody rafters with my nob out. I appreciate they were advancing the Daenerys/ John question here but it seemed off. The scale seemed off for this too, in the small banquet hall.

Overall, this was a weak episode for me and it certainly felt rushed. Feels like they are cramming two seasons into one, or just running out of steam.

The Brienne and Jaime tryst was just introduced and summarily ended in one episode. It felt icky and wrong and was awkward and painful to watch. Brienne's subsequent breakdown was totally out of character and cheapend her somewhat.

I liked Varys here though. He seemed to be quite passionate for once, but with Conleth Hill, you still don't trust the bastard.

Sansa being subconsciously pushed around by John is wearing a bit thin. Especially after his revelation. You expect Sansa to be stronger - what about the North? Arya just fecks off again on another hit.

Disappointed with Bron angle as he worked best as an honourable rogue. He has been lessened.

Good god. I sometimes forget people like this exist. Am I falling for clickbait?

"Worst of all, though, was the treatment of Missandei. As Game of Thrones’ only regular female character of colour, the show had a responsibility to not mess her arc up."

https://amp.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/may/08/game-of-thrones-has-betrayed-the-women-who-made-it-great

J Mysterio wrote: »
    The Brienne and Jaime tryst was just introduced and summarily ended in one episode. It felt icky and wrong and was awkward and painful to watch. Brienne's subsequent breakdown was totally out of character and cheapend her somewhat.

I genuinely agree with all your points, but the Jaime/Brienne arc isn't so bad if you think about it. It's been building for seasons now, and people can say it's out of character, but it's really not.

What she had with Jaime is purely emotional, built on how much they've shared since S2...she has a unique insight into his thinking and personal growth that virtually no-one else has - not even Cersei at this point.

She witnessed Jaime at his lowest, weakest and best; exposed the rawest part of her to Jaime in turn, and is understandably left emotionally fragmented by his leaving.

Doesn't take away from her as the warrior she is though, or how she sees him.

It's arguably not even that sexual despite their coupling, but Brienne knows Jaime in a way that almost no-one does. She sees him as a great man - but only she has seen the lenghty path he's trodden, and only she truly sees the Kingslayer for what he truly has become.

Starks don't like him - Dany loathes him - the broader northmen hate him - and so on. He's a univerally loathed figure, yet Brienne knows better.

At this point I'd almost hedge bets on Brienne survive, if only to keep the memory of the righteous Kingslayer alive against what the history books will record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

Why are people saying this season is "fan service"?

If they were trying to do the fans a service they wouldn't have released this utter tripe.

Slightly odd thought but are Cerci and Danerous kind of being mirrored in the show.

3 kids(dragons) die {the last dragon will likely die}

There 1 true love is incestuous in nature.

Both lose a father figure they respect and that holds them in check some what.

Maybe there is more just a thought that popped into my head.

Asus X540L wrote: »

If they were trying to do the fans a service they wouldn't have released this utter tripe.

I presume people that say that are talking about the social media related stuff although I have not got a clue about any of that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

Slightly odd thought but are Cerci and Danerous kind of being mirrored in the show.

3 kids(dragons) die {the last dragon will likely die}

There 1 true love is incestuous in nature.

Both lose a father figure they respect and that holds them in check some what.

Maybe there is more just a thought that popped into my head.

And of course they're both mad as hatters

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

"Wah wah, my entertainment isn't what I want it to be like."

Get a fckng grip you whiny pissants.

• Advertisement

I presume people that say that are talking about the social media related stuff although I have not got a clue about any of that

It's an admittedly crap way of saying that the writers are pandering to the broadest demograph given the sheer rise in popularity.

EG, if we now have 12m viewers verus the 6M of earlier seasons, let's write what we think the majority of those want to see on screen, rather than maintain the consitency we've observed thus far.

Imagine if other HBO shows followed this narrative. Sopranos would have Tony illogically whip out a shoulder mounted rocket launcher to take out his enemies.

sabat wrote: »
    "Wah wah, my entertainment isn't what I want it to be like."

Get a fckng grip you whiny pissants.

A carefully constructed argument. Here we were griping over the widely documented drop in scripting, narrative and direction that is reflected in most critical reviews also, not realising how pedantic we've been.

You've given us much to think about with your blow-by-blow account of how GOT has, in fact, maintaned it's quality this season.

Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Asus X540L wrote: »

You need to realize that the fans of the show they are targeting aren't the people who have watched since S01 (probably because they were fans of the books) who care about it being a well written and well produced show.

They are targeting the social media users who jumped on halfway through just to be part of something that they could hashtag who will endlessly repost the "YASS KWEEN" ****e and buy a boatload of merch.

It's not a TV show anymore, it's an event. People just want to be part of a thing happening.

I know people who are watching this season alone as a one off, just because its become so popular.

They would have followed it either very minimally or not at all before and they seem to like it so it kinda is what it is.

An FU to fans of the show from the start, but they know thier new demographic

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

A carefully constructed argument. Here we were griping over the widely documented drop in scripting, narrative and direction that is reflected in most critical reviews also, not realising how pedantic we've been.

You've given us much to think about with your blow-by-blow account of how GOT has, in fact, maintaned it's quality this season.

Thank you.

There are people here complaining that they didn't like how John Snow said goodbye to his dog ffs. It's a tv show.

There are people here complaining that they didn't like how John Snow said goodbye to his dog ffs. It's a tv show.

If that was the only yardstick - it's "just" a TV show?

The worst declines in TV would all be acceptable. Why should GOT be any different?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Ghost isn't a dog, he's a direwolf and deserved a pet and a steak before leaving. And it's Jon, not John. Ffs attention to detail please.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

threeball wrote: »
    Bran has been pointless sincè he was pushed out the window. I can't think of a more pointless and utterly unlikable character in any major tv show. If he had died in that scene we'd have just as much info as we do now.

Memory of man, who doesn't talk or relay any info. What a load of crap. What's the point in knowing everything if you tell no one. It's like newton figuring out gravity but just saying fcuk it, I'm not telling them, I'm going to enjoy my apple.

Bran along with the Night King are both completely pointless characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

namloc1980 wrote: »

Bran is strange in that you can't say that his 3 eyed raven ability made any great impact on the show, rather than allowing the NK to find him at Winterfell.
    Kinda feel like an awful lot more could have been done with his character, they didn't try to leverage his ability to get any insight in to anything really.

The NK was a central character in leading the army of the dead and he was the focus for all in S7 and up to Episode 3 in S8.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

threeball wrote: »
    Bran has been pointless sincè he was pushed out the window. I can't think of a more pointless and utterly unlikable character in any major tv show. If he had died in that scene we'd have just as much info as we do now.

Memory of man, who doesn't talk or relay any info. What a load of crap. What's the point in knowing everything if you tell no one. It's like newton figuring out gravity but just saying fcuk it, I'm not telling them, I'm going to enjoy my apple.

Other than editing a single scene (in relation to why Jon wants to join with Daenerys) you could cut all the white walker and wight stuff from every season and you still have the same ultimate story. That's bonkers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

Good god. I sometimes forget people like this exist. Am I falling for clickbait?

"Worst of all, though, was the treatment of Missandei. As Game of Thrones’ only regular female character of colour, the show had a responsibility to not mess her arc up."

https://amp.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/may/08/game-of-thrones-has-betrayed-the-women-who-made-it-great

Surely a trolling article for clickbait, although there is no shortage of morons particularly online who see everything through the prism of modern day identity politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

At this point I'd almost hedge bets on Brienne survive, if only to keep the memory of the righteous Kingslayer alive against what the history books will record.
    It'd be nice to see her completing his pages in the White Book at the end (though I don't think we'll get such subtleties at this stage).

Brienne, as the character who truly embodies everything good about being a Knight (in a way that only Ser Barristan could have rivaled) is the obvious choice for Captain of the Kings/Queensguard at the story's conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,298 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Jackman25 wrote: »
    Surely a trolling article for clickbait, although there is no shortage of morons particularly online who see everything through the prism of modern day identity politics.

That's some load alright - a desperate attempt to produce anything that's evidence of inherent misogyny

Funnily enough I'd have viewed the Varys and Tyrion subterfuge as more a case of stupid lads not seeing that Jon Snow would be a terrible choice of leader...

And the bit about Sansa is reaching real hard..

As for Missandei and the 'only woman of color' - there was even a pointed reference to the 'breaker of chains' when Missandei was cuffed... The unexplained capture apart which was just poor production surely the tragic irony of a re-chained former slave was a reasonable enough plot point... Seems when writing medieval fantasy or indeed anything that involves slavery - writers need to remain cognisant of today's norms and try not to put colored people in chains for fear of being accused of being tone deaf - some serious levels of clutching. Would the author prefer that we all pretend that people of color were never enslaved at all?

However personally I was a bit disappointed about Brienne being reduced to a blubbering mess..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

2 episodes left, and you'd imagine at least one of them will have a prolonged battle scene.

So not much time for various strands to be tied up in the way people hope. Either not tied up at all, or rushed through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

namloc1980 wrote: »

Bran "I have to go now" Stark. :D

turbbo wrote: »
    Bran "I have to go now" Stark. :D

Bran "Richmond" Stark.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭PressRun

The problem with Bran's story is that it was linked with the Night King and Jon's revelation, and they've made a balls of both so Bran's story has also been affected. There was a great chance to really make him integral to the climax of the show, but it's just all been really poorly executed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

Other than editing a single scene (in relation to why Jon wants to join with Daenerys) you could cut all the white walker and wight stuff from every season and you still have the same ultimate story. That's bonkers.

How would it be the same story? If you take half the story away it's a different story. Your point is nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭gargargar

I might have missed it, but is Aragorn still alive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭Hitchens

They fúcked it up when the books ran out

Advertisement