Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Non book readers" - Season 8 Episode 4 "The Last of the S" - Spoilers post 2 fo

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

^^^ He's still family though. Albeit not their bastard illegitimate half brother but their cousin with the most legitimate claim to the Iron Throne.

Something more apt would be along the lines of Jon telling them, Varys finding out and the punchline being "a problem shared is gossip" :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Joshua J wrote: »
    fpg1lpy.jpg

This meme is inaccurate because he got Bran to tell them........ off camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,610 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

J. Marston wrote: »
    I'm guessing the showrunners are in a mad dash to get started on the Star Wars trilogy they signed up for, that's why everything is rushed.

They announced that they would be working on a new show called Confederate in 2017.
    https://eu.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2017/07/19/game-thrones-creators-benioff-weiss-plan-new-show-confederate/493660001/
    I was wary when I heard the news and as I feared they have taken their eye off the ball big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,126 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

• Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

And yet, there you have a few dragons flying around, and thousands of blue eyed zombies, but that's ok. It's fictional fantasy. Anything can happen. Leave your 2reality" hormones at the door. .

I hate this attitude.
    Sure it's fantasy... but it still has to make sense within it's own universe... within the narrative it has built over the previous 7 years.

LOTR is fantasy... yet they didn't use a transporter to beam themselves to Mordor or hop into a land rover.
    By your argument they could have and we should all just go with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

GreeBo wrote: »
    I hate this attitude.
    Sure it's fantasy... but it still has to make sense within it's own universe... within the narrative it has built over the previous 7 years.

LOTR is fantasy... yet they didn't use a transporter to beam themselves to Mordor or hop into a land rover.
    By your argument they could have and we should all just go with it.

One does not simply beam into Mordor.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Folks, I've made a decision.

/breaths heavily

I'm going to hold out and watch the last two episodes together. It means a week of keeping clear of a lot of sites, but think the payoff will be better if the next episode is another head melter, knowing I'll go straight into the last one will numb it's effect. Wish me luck, I shall pray to the spoiler gods.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

delly wrote: »

/breaths heavily

I'm going to hold out and watch the last two episodes together. It means a week of keeping clear of a lot of sites, but think the payoff will be better if the next episode is another head melter, knowing I'll go straight into the last one will numb it's effect. Wish me luck, I shall pray to the spoiler gods.
    Your Strong, Godspeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'd love to have held out for block viewing, but I expected it would be impossible to avoid spoilers - which has actually turned out to be not the case at all...... mostly because there were essentially zero controversial or majorly impactful spoilers to share thus far.

NK dies, Jorah dies, Beric dies, even Missandei - none of these are remotely surprising really, but I think we all expected a far greater body count among the main cast, as well as far more radical plot twists, up to this point.

Expect that to change entirely with E05 though, so I'll most definitely be watching it Monday evening.

Arya being the one to slay the Night King is probably the only spoiler that would genuinely bother me if I hadn't yet seen S8 at all. The others, not really.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I might stop reading other people's opinions until its all over. While I share a lot of conerns over this season so far, the overwhelming negativity makes it harder and harder to enjoy the last 2 episodes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,005 ✭✭✭threeball

I might stop reading other people's opinions until its all over. While I share a lot of conerns over this season so far, the overwhelming negativity makes it harder and harder to enjoy the last 2 episodes.

Should be the other way round. The negative reaction should reduce your expectations and therefore make it easier to enjoy. It can only go up from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,358 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Great twitter thread regarding how and why the show is different since they ran out of books and picked how much longer the show would run before bringing it to an end, which makes a hell of a lot of sense.

https://twitter.com/DSilvermint/status/1125856091261136896

• Registered Users Posts: 16,123 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

/breaths heavily

I wish you good fortune in your spoiler avoidance efforts to come.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭RickBlaine

/breaths heavily

I really want to do this too. I don't think I'd have a problem avoid spoilers online because I have the will power to stay away from social media and Youtube for a week. The problem is work. There is usually a conversation about it on Tuesday in the office. All it would take is for someone to say something like "so what did you guys think of Drogon toasting Cercie last night?".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

I expect some major twists and series to turn around quickly...bran and night king story is not over yet..I see something happening in that arc..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I expect some major twists and series to turn around quickly...bran and night king story is not over yet..I see something happening in that arc..
    With Tyrian and Varys, and with Jaime riding back towards KL, and Arya and the Hound heading off somewhere, there is plenty of scope for twists, not to mention the conflict between Jon and Danaerys. But with only 2 episodes left, how much time can be devoted to them.

One I can think of is that Euron realises that the baby is not his and switches sides or just sails off.

Or else, it turns out Cersei is not pregnant at all, and it was all a ploy to ensure loyalty from Jaime and then Euron. It would also make it easier for Cersei to be killed if she is not pregnant.

It seems like Danaerys needs a boost of soldiers from somewhere. Where will they come from? Dorne? Daario Naharis?

Will Jaime fight for Danaerys and cause some of Lannister army to switch sides? Will we see a Braveheart-style scene in which troops confront each other only to reveal themselves as allies (I hope not)?

Have we seen the last of Brianne (a blubbering mess is not a fitting last appearance)?

Plenty of potential for intrigue, but so little time.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

threeball wrote: »
    Because it spent 5 or so seasons being different than the mindless marvel comic drivel that you describe. It was the exact opposite in fact with well developed characters, intelligent plot lines and acres of layers to the stories that only became apparent as seasons went by.

It's now mindless drivel trying to please the masses who love avengers, movies by the Rock and other quick fix rubbish that passes for entertainment these days. In other words it's now everything it originally endeavoured to avoid and rail against. Edge of your seat it certainly isn't

It was going to come to this - the equivalent of the big explosions, because of the trajectory they set it on. There's just not that much scope for layers when it's largely going to wrap up as a headbutting competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Hope you're right.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,123 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

bran and night king story is not over yet..I see something happening in that arc..

I think you're overestimating the imagination and ingenuity of the showrunners. They don't seem to have any handle on or much interest in the more 'mystical' aspects of GoT and seem happy to have 'resolved' that storyline in the most simplistic and uninteresting way that could be envisaged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

/breaths heavily

Try the God of tits and wine ;)
    I hear he’s great lol

• Advertisement

I think you're overestimating the imagination and ingenuity of the showrunners. They don't seem to have any handle on or much interest in the more 'mystical' aspects of GoT and seem happy to have 'resolved' that storyline in the most simplistic and uninteresting way that could be envisaged.

They seem like twits and have fallen out with RRM by all accounts. They got permission to use the books and were fine when it was spoon fed to them. As soon as they had to go it alone the truth of their talents was exposed and the lure of the almighty dollar to move to the next thing was a handy excuse to cut and run.

I wonder if Disney are regretting their decision to give them the new show seeing the hames they made of this one. They're not even on the same planet talent wise as the RRM's, David Chases and Vince Gilligans of this world. In fact I'd love to see Gilligan take it on from season 6. He has a wonderful way of layering his writing with little nods like the early GOT series had.

Lackey wrote: »
    Try the God of tits and wine ;)
    I hear he’s great lol

My personal favourite anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

osarusan wrote: »
    With Tyrian and Varys, and with Jaime riding back towards KL, and Arya and the Hound heading off somewhere, there is plenty of scope for twists, not to mention the conflict between Jon and Danaerys. But with only 2 episodes left, how much time can be devoted to them.

One I can think of is that Euron realises that the baby is not his and switches sides or just sails off.

Or else, it turns out Cersei is not pregnant at all, and it was all a ploy to ensure loyalty from Jaime and then Euron. It would also make it easier for Cersei to be killed if she is not pregnant.

It seems like Danaerys needs a boost of soldiers from somewhere. Where will they come from? Dorne? Daario Naharis?

Will Jaime fight for Danaerys and cause some of Lannister army to switch sides? Will we see a Braveheart-style scene in which troops confront each other only to reveal themselves as allies (I hope not)?

Have we seen the last of Brianne (a blubbering mess is not a fitting last appearance)?

Plenty of potential for intrigue, but so little time.

I can't see Euron been accepted if he switches sides as he's always been for his own gain.

Whereas Jamie Tormund Tyrion and The Hound have always had a conscience about what is just and right Euron is more like Littlefinger with brawn instead of brains.
    My guess for what happens over the next two episodes is Fuk knows at this stage but it's shaping up to be a Disney ending unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I think Euron is too one-dimensional to do anything except come to a sticky end, probably cooked! He is another example of what the show has been sloppy about - supercharging minor baddies.

threeball wrote: »
    They seem like twits and have fallen out with RRM by all accounts. They got permission to use the books and were fine when it was spoon fed to them. As soon as they had to go it alone the truth of their talents was exposed and the lure of the almighty dollar to move to the next thing was a handy excuse to cut and run.

I wonder if Disney are regretting their decision to give them the new show seeing the hames they made of this one. They're not even on the same planet talent wise as the RRM's, David Chases and Vince Gilligans of this world. In fact I'd love to see Gilligan take it on from season 6. He has a wonderful way of layering his writing with little nods like the early GOT series had.
    That's not entirely true. Season 5 & 6 are off the books and no where near as dire as 7 & 8. Hardhome is my favourite episode of the entire series. I watched it again last night and it's just epic. It gives me chills every time. It was done completely differently in the books and was a long winded, drawn out boring affair.

Wow. I don't understand why people have to dissect every detail. Why not enjoy it for what it is - (mostly) edge of the seat entertainment. Complaining about timelines, cups, military tactics, a dog not getting enough attention etc. And yet, there you have a few dragons flying around, and thousands of blue eyed zombies, but that's ok. It's fictional fantasy. Anything can happen. Leave your 2reality" hormones at the door.
    Season 7 was unreal. Building to the last 10 mins of episode 7. Best piece of TV I have seen in a while. Well actually, last 10 mins of champions league games during the week are up there too!!!!!!!!!

I watched the first 7 seasons from December to March. So maybe the fact that it's all happening together, like one big plot, makes it all easier to take in.
    Maybe most of the begrudgers were following it as it was shown throughout the years. And the earlier episodes are kinda nostalgic to them now, and seem falsely superior.

Anyway, I can't wait for Sunday night/Monday morning. Alarm clock will be set for 2am.
    The earlier episodes are superior and seasons 7 & 8 are sh!te. Go back and watch Hardhome and the Battle of the Bastards. Both are vastly superior to the Long Night and the battle scenes were only 15 mins long. Binge watching 7 seasons in four months means you don't properly digest the episodes. You are the only person I've seen claim that season 7 is just as good as season 1.

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    That's not entirely true. Season 5 & 6 are off the books and no where near as dire as 7 & 8. Hardhome is my favourite episode of the entire series. I watched it again last night and it's just epic. It gives me chills every time. It was done completely differently in the books and was a long winded, drawn out boring affair.

Hardhome is ridiculous in its own right. The NK can take a dragon down with a spear yet he can't kill a few lads on a boat a few yards from shore. You could claim he didn't want to kill them but if thats the case he didnt let his army know as they did their utmost to insure they killed them.

They also seem to kill about 10000 wildlings outside the gates in the blink of an eye but spend half the episode killing the remaining 200 or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

is_that_so wrote: »
    I think Euron is too one-dimensional to do anything except come to a sticky end, probably cooked! He is another example of what the show has been sloppy about - supercharging minor baddies.

The guy that plays Euron posted on social media that he would have preferred to play the character more like the version in the books but he was hired to do it a certain way which he thinks is rather one dimensional, so, "ah well!".

I don't think I've ever seen a show with so many of the actors openly ****ting on it while it is still on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Paddy Cow wrote: »

It would be less frustrating if the show immediately fell off a cliff after running out of material and we could cleanly blame the ineptitude of the writers....

But the truth is D&D did a pretty OK job with seasons 5 and 6. They were certainly not as solid as S1-4, especially in terms of dialogue - which is where the departure was most evident.

But they had their moments and were fundementally pretty sound seasons and most importantly still felt like GOT.

They wrote Battle of the Bastards and Winds of Winter, a stunning back-to-back ending to S6 so perfectly capable.

The writing in S7 and particular S8 is ridiculously sloppy and lazy even by their own standards, putting GRRM aside altogether.

I would say the last decent episode they penned was The Spoils of War in S7. Talking purely about the scripting/dialogue and not pure spectacle (eg Battle of Winterfell).

• Advertisement

lawlolawl wrote: »
    The guy that plays Euron posted on social media that he would have preferred to play the character more like the version in the books but he was hired to do it a certain way which he thinks is rather one dimensional, so, "ah well!".

I don't think I've ever seen a show with so many of the actors openly ****ting on it while it is still on.
    Kit Karrington forgot himself and called the ending disappointing. Skip to 2.50 because the interview is really boring.

Advertisement