Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Non book readers" - Season 8 Episode 4 "The Last of the S" - Spoilers post 2 fo

Options

Comments

I personally thought the white walkers would be used in a way to kind of teach the humans a lesson, that there are bigger issues than a throne.
    I thought some of the characters would get cool heroic deaths fighting the army of the dead and they’d all grow as characters in the process.

Now I think we’ll get more of a humans are **** ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Yes it was stupid

But Dani was flying to dragon stone a safe place she was at before she’s clearly been through a lot over the past however many weeks and it’s made clear she is struggling and not very good at making decisions and While flying she was focused on rheagal too.

I don’t think it’s that bad we all know once the internet gets its claws in they will dig and dig away making it out to be the worst turd ever

It’s not as good as the early years yes but season 6 7 8 are basically comic book fantasy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

biggebruv wrote: »
    How is Jon supposed to send all of the locals from winterfell to Kings landing and bran too Cersei is hardly gonna be cooperative and let them into the city
    Seems a bit much to fake a battle also then have to actually fight aswell for the real thing

Winter fell was closest to the wall it was always gonna come down to that in the end I suppose

I bet if the night king went to kings landing first people would bitch and moan about why did he not do winterfell first

. They've known the WW have been coming south for like 4 seasons plenty of time to send people south. Also faking a battle buys time and pulls Cersei into the fight which she should be in anyway. Doesnt really matter it was just a doodle of what they could of done which imo would have been a better way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭threeball

I bet if the night king went to kings landing first people would bitch and moan about why did he not do winterfell first

This would have been a much better scenario. Cersei would have got her comeuppance for going back on her word and abandoning the living.

The night king would have obtained an even bigger army.

And the outcome would show that all the fighting over thrones was basically fruitless as death is coming for us all.

What we got instead was something that could have been written by a 10yr old who was explained the story up to now.

Yes it was stupid

But Dani was flying to dragon stone a safe place she was at before she’s clearly been through a lot over the past however many weeks and it’s made clear she is struggling and not very good at making decisions and While flying she was focused on rheagal too.

I don’t think it’s that bad we all know once the internet gets its claws in they will dig and dig away making it out to be the worst turd ever

It’s not as good as the early years yes but season 6 7 8 are basically comic book fantasy

Why would it be safe? It's quite absurd that you have this gigantic castle that has been unlived in and unguarded since Stannis left 3 seasons ago lapart from a short tenure by Dany. It quite unbelievable that it wouldn't be commandeered by someone. Especially an enemy who knows it's empty and will be used as a base against them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

threeball wrote: »
    Why would it be safe? It's quite absurd that you have this gigantic castle that has been unlived in and unguarded since Stannis left 3 seasons ago lapart from a short tenure by Dany. It quite unbelievable that it wouldn't be commandeered by someone. Especially an enemy who knows it's empty and will be used as a base against them.

"Dany sort of forgot about Dragonstone".

Yes it was stupid

Its not really that, you could accept she was like that easily, especially if they put in a scene where someone told her she has been distracted lately or something of the like.

But from her vantage point she would have seen the ships a mile off, they were barely covered from sea view by the rocks/cliffs

But for the writers to make the excuse she forgot about them especially given the timeline of what happened in the episode, as an excuse for really poorly thought out scene is insulting in many ways

Dragonstone is right next to KL. It's in Blackwater Bay.

Screen_Shot_2017-08-04_at_5.17.11_PM.png

Not only does it make absolutely no sense for it to be empty, it is obviously a dangerous spot to come back to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

I've seen a lot of people say this, and i think its a bit harsh on season 6. 1-4 were the highlight. 5 and 6 are on the same level i think. If 7 and 8 were on the same level as 6 i don't think there would be anywhere near as much bitching going on about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,126 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I think people let Dorne influence their opinions a bit too much on season 5.

I thought it was a very good season, Dorne aside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Dorne didnt bother me at all, I'd say the combined scenes in dorne probably added up to a total of 30mins..

I wasnt bothered at all, heck Oberyn was such a cool and interesting character, i was glad to see a smidgen of where he came from, the only problem i see with it looking back was the handful of characters that were introduced to werent developed enough, I would have liked to see more Dorne tbh :confused:

No, after watching it all back season 5 was ok..It was just a sort of a state of dissolution or something..A lot of **** happened/ changed..The rot was kind of half setting in season 6..season 7 just went to the dogs..
    But yeah, season 5 was ok..

Dorne brought us your one's jebs in an episode aptly named The Gift. Worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Dragonstone is right next to KL. It's in Blackwater Bay.

Screen_Shot_2017-08-04_at_5.17.11_PM.png

Not only does it make absolutely no sense for it to be empty, it is obviously a dangerous spot to come back to.

Is that map accurate anymore since they moved Kings Landing up a bit on the map in the latest intro?

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

J Mysterio wrote: »
    A few random thoughts.

I thought Missandei was going to grab Cersei and hop off the battlements with her, she actually had the opportunity and was about to die anyway. Her death was ultimately painfully straightforward and quite dull.

Yes !!!! Exactly what I was thinking .. was sure Missandei was going to take Cersei down ... otherwise the whole scene was going to be pointless. And boom - she just stands and takes it. Balls. Pointless scene ...

Yes !!!! Exactly what I was thinking .. was sure Missandei was going to take Cersei down ... otherwise the whole scene was going to be pointless. And boom - she just stands and takes it. Balls. Pointless scene ...

Nah, it wasn't pointless.

We learnt that lovely Missendei from Naath, the most peaceful nation in the world, whose religion causes them to not engage in violence even to defend themselves, has had her arc capped off with her deciding that a city of a million people should burn because she got taken captive.

Fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Its not really that, you could accept she was like that easily, especially if they put in a scene where someone told her she has been distracted lately or something of the like.

But from her vantage point she would have seen the ships a mile off, they were barely covered from sea view by the rocks/cliffs

But for the writers to make the excuse she forgot about them especially given the timeline of what happened in the episode, as an excuse for really poorly thought out scene is insulting in many ways

I could maybe, possibly, perhaps, accept Dany being completely oblivious to the Fleet even when she's flying right into their path over open sea in broad day light.

I can't for the life of me figure out how everyone else forgot about them and missed them too. When we cut to Tyrion's after Dany retreats on Drogon, we can clearly see Euron's fleet off starboard. There is simply no way they could have been missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,298 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

That would have been an utterly crap end to Cersei

J. Marston wrote: »
    I think people let Dorne influence their opinions a bit too much on season 5.

I thought it was a very good season, Dorne aside.

It's the only season I couldn't sit through for a second time for whatever reason

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

threeball wrote: »
    This would have been a much better scenario. Cersei would have got her comeuppance for going back on her word and abandoning the living.

The night king would have obtained an even bigger army.

And the outcome would show that all the fighting over thrones was basically fruitless as death is coming for us all.

What we got instead was something that could have been written by a 10yr old who was explained the story up to now.

Oh I'd have paid good money to see the Golden Company and Zombie Glegane go up against the Night King.

It would have been a really good answer to Cersei's hubris of saying "good" when she heard that the dead had broken through the wall. How would Qyburn's machine fair against an undead dragon? Would Qyburn, as a necromancer of sorts, have any answer to the wights that are created out of the fallen defenders of King's Landing? There's so many interesting things that could happen. The absence of dragonglass and valyrian steel in King's Landing would presumably mean that Cersei's forces would lose, but it would be fun to see it happen!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Wow. I don't understand why people have to dissect every detail. Why not enjoy it for what it is - (mostly) edge of the seat entertainment. Complaining about timelines, cups, military tactics, a dog not getting enough attention etc. And yet, there you have a few dragons flying around, and thousands of blue eyed zombies, but that's ok. It's fictional fantasy. Anything can happen. Leave your 2reality" hormones at the door.
    Season 7 was unreal. Building to the last 10 mins of episode 7. Best piece of TV I have seen in a while. Well actually, last 10 mins of champions league games during the week are up there too!!!!!!!!!

I watched the first 7 seasons from December to March. So maybe the fact that it's all happening together, like one big plot, makes it all easier to take in.
    Maybe most of the begrudgers were following it as it was shown throughout the years. And the earlier episodes are kinda nostalgic to them now, and seem falsely superior.

Anyway, I can't wait for Sunday night/Monday morning. Alarm clock will be set for 2am.

Wow. I don't understand why people have to dissect every detail. Why not enjoy it for what it is - (mostly) edge of the seat entertainment. Complaining about timelines, cups, military tactics, a dog not getting enough attention etc. And yet, there you have a few dragons flying around, and thousands of blue eyed zombies, but that's ok. It's fictional fantasy. Anything can happen. Leave your 2reality" hormones at the door.
    Season 7 was unreal. Building to the last 10 mins of episode 7. Best piece of TV I have seen in a while. Well actually, last 10 mins of champions league games during the week are up there too!!!!!!!!!

I watched the first 7 seasons from December to March. So maybe the fact that it's all happening together, like one big plot, makes it all easier to take in.
    Maybe most of the begrudgers were following it as it was shown throughout the years. And the earlier episodes are kinda nostalgic to them now, and seem falsely superior.

Anyway, I can't wait for Sunday night/Monday morning. Alarm clock will be set for 2am.
    No ones stopping you from enjoying it. Have at it. Other people, like myself, found it complete and utter garbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭mr_cochise

Joshua J wrote:
    No ones stopping you from enjoying it. Have at it. Other people, like myself, found it complete and utter garbage.

Stop watching it so!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

mr_cochise wrote: »
    Stop watching it so!!!

In fairness, no-one's who sat through the entirety of seven seasons is going to suddenly stopp watching after a bad run in S08 with two episodes left in the whole franchise.

I sat through the entirety of Dexter S8, each episode actually worse than the last and the finale was truly a golden turd, worst finale I've personally seen.

But I had so much invested in the characters over the years I couldn't not watch it (and kept hoping it was going to improve, or just offer a decent finale).

Game of Thrones is the same in terms of investment. It's nowhere near as bad as Dexter was to be fair, but it is turning into a shadow of its former self.

Mostly in E03 and E04 though. Most people were OK with the first episode, and most thought the second was pretty decent in fact.

See ratings for this season. E04 is now the lowest rated in GOT's history, but the first three episodes have reasonable ratings (though a little lower than others).

It's honestly just because it's gotten so sloppy, rushed and careless compared to other seasons.

No-ones trying to claim it's not pretty good entertainment but it's not exactly unreasonable to expect more from a show known for its razor sharp dialogue and narrative.

Because it spent 5 or so seasons being different than the mindless marvel comic drivel that you describe. It was the exact opposite in fact with well developed characters, intelligent plot lines and acres of layers to the stories that only became apparent as seasons went by.

It's now mindless drivel trying to please the masses who love avengers, movies by the Rock and other quick fix rubbish that passes for entertainment these days. In other words it's now everything it originally endeavoured to avoid and rail against. Edge of your seat it certainly isn't

mr_cochise wrote: »
    Stop watching it so!!!

Tf.

You're asking people to stop watching something they've been invested in for nearly a decade, or for book readers, two decades. People are allowed to complain about their favourite thing going off the rails.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭vetinari

As TerrorFirmer mentioned, it's the last 2 episodes that have left a sour taste.
    I for the most part liked season 7.
    I also liked the first 2 episodes of this season.

The battle of Winterfell was so dumb (tactics wise) and so bloated length wise for the first half that it really broke by suspension of disbelief.
    I remember turning to my wife halfway through and saying this episode is pretty poor. It got better near the end of the episode.
    The last episode was okay but again the scenes with the ballista and the meeting with Cersei were so dumb.
    This show was known for having characters act in a realistic manner and great build up of storylines.
    Now in 2 episodes, you have some absolutely ridiculous (not in a good way) setups. It's really really sloppy writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Petition to rename the GoT forum to Ballista

• Registered Users Posts: 23,126 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I'm guessing the showrunners are in a mad dash to get started on the Star Wars trilogy they signed up for, that's why everything is rushed.

• Advertisement

fpg1lpy.jpg

Advertisement