Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,950 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

There was probably no real danger of Stockdale leaving. But it's always good to have confirmation.

https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/1225366590377594883?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Good stuff - we'll need that money for Jack McGrath coming off a central contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Baloucoune getting one should free up a bit of cash in the near future as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Baloucoune getting one should free up a bit of cash in the near future as well.

How near future? He's contracted until the end of next season meaning that this time next year he's going to want to be in talks for a central contract. Meaning he has less than 10 international games to prove that he is worthy of a central contract (and realistically 4 of those are a write off as he's already been sent back to his province)

Much more likely he will get another 2 year deal with Ulster and can be assessed where he is in 2023.

I certainly wouldn't be calling 2023 the near future.

I don't doubt his time will come. But probably not as soon as you think

How near future? He's contracted until the end of next season meaning that this time next year he's going to want to be in talks for a central contract. Meaning he has less than 10 international games to prove that he is worthy of a central contract (and realistically 4 of those are a write off as he's already been sent back to his province)

Much more likely he will get another 2 year deal with Ulster and can be assessed where he is in 2023.

I certainly wouldn't be calling 2023 the near future.

I don't doubt his time will come. But probably not as soon as you think

I was being entirely sarcastic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I was being entirely sarcastic

:pac::pac:

Big whoosh on my part.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Good stuff - we'll need that money for Jack McGrath coming off a central contract.

Similar to Ryan I’d imagine Ulsters contribution to Stockdale will go up not down. Doubt he was on that much for his first contract. Assuming that was his first contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Treaders cleared by disciplinary committee (vs Bath)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    Treaders cleared by disciplinary committee (vs Bath)

Sensible decision

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I mentioned about Henderson after the match, I think he can do so much more. He has shown before as well

I would drop him for a game just to give kick up bum

And yes I would also drop Ryan if required....

• Advertisement

bilston wrote: »
    Sensible decision

I thought it was madness, especially given the Paddy McAllister decision. But they're two different competitions, so you never know how it'll shake out.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,294 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I mentioned about Henderson after the match, I think he can do so much more. He has shown before as well

I would drop him for a game just to give kick up bum

And yes I would also drop Ryan if required....

as an aside, welsh scrum V had henderson on their team of round 1 ;)

Thoughts on the Ulster u20's tonight:

Tom Stewart was MOTM for me. Cleaned up the opposition overthrows excellently and nailed every one of his own in difficult conditions. His lines of running were great and I love how he changes direction at the point of contact. Good line speed and tackling technique as well. Still u19.

McCann improved form last week, but still pretty meh. Big lad but needs to learn how to use his body more effectively when taking contact. Might be imagining it but while he looks much bigger this year, he looks slower as well. Less explosiveness when carrying. Great awareness to set up a try.

Moxham was caught out very badly in defence and never really got the ball in attack. He won't enjoy the video session. Find it very odd that he if preferred to Rankin, who's actually in our academy already. Especially as Rankin is a back three by trade and Moxham has played the majority of his rugby at centre as far as I know. Hope he gets another shot at it anyway. Still u19.

Finaly was ok. The forwards weren't securing the ball properly and he was getting caught out as a result. Still a decent all round game from him.

Thoughts on the Ulster u20's tonight:

Tom Stewart was MOTM for me. Cleaned up the opposition overthrows excellently and nailed every one of his own in difficult conditions. His lines of running were great and I love how he changes direction at the point of contact. Good line speed and tackling technique as well. Still u19.

McCann improved form last week, but still pretty meh. Big lad but needs to learn how to use his body more effectively when taking contact. Might be imagining it but while he looks much bigger this year, he looks slower as well. Less explosiveness when carrying. Great awareness to set up a try.

Moxham was caught out very badly in defence and never really got the ball in attack. He won't enjoy the video session. Find it very odd that he if preferred to Rankin, who's actually in our academy already. Especially as Rankin is a back three by trade and Moxham has played the majority of his rugby at centre as far as I know. Hope he gets another shot at it anyway. Still u19.

Finaly was ok. The forwards weren't securing the ball properly and he was getting caught out as a result. Still a decent all round game from him.

Is McCann not playing out of position?

Is McCann not playing out of position?

Don't think so. He's played across the backrow and has plenty of experience at 8.

Don't think so. He's played across the backrow and has plenty of experience at 8.

Plays 6 usually?

Plays 6 usually?

That's what I thought.

In fact I think he played second row at school...or at least he did in his Lower Sixth year, not sure about the year after.

Anyway as Paul says does he not play 6 for Ulster A with Allison at 8?

That's what I thought.

In fact I think he played second row at school...or at least he did in his Lower Sixth year, not sure about the year after.

Anyway as Paul says does he not play 6 for Ulster A with Allison at 8?

I actually think he's been shoehorned into 7 a lot for the A's with Dunleavey at 6, and I remember thinking to myself it was never going to be his position going forward. His best position is probably 6, but I reckon he'll still be asked to play 8 in the future.

I actually think he's been shoehorned into 7 a lot for the A's with Dunleavey at 6, and I remember thinking to myself it was never going to be his position going forward. His best position is probably 6, but I reckon he'll still be asked to play 8 in the future.

He played 6 for the U20s last season, and yeah, 7 at least once for the As. At Malone, I think.

So in theory we should be able to send a pretty strong team to the Ospreys at the weekend.

We are probably only going to be missing Herring, Henderson and Stockdale...based on previous years the Irish bench players are usually released in the Six Nations down week so Cooney will hopefully play.

The Cheetahs have been busy catching us over the last two weeks so a win this week and then the following week over the Cheetahs are imperative.

If there is one young guy I'd like to see get a shot over the next few weeks it's Stewart Moore, but if McCloskey and Marshall are fit and available I'm not sure where he will get a shot.

• Advertisement

So in theory we should be able to send a pretty strong team to the Ospreys at the weekend.

We are probably only going to be missing Herring, Henderson and Stockdale...based on previous years the Irish bench players are usually released in the Six Nations down week so Cooney will hopefully play.

The Cheetahs have been busy catching us over the last two weeks so a win this week and then the following week over the Cheetahs are imperative.

If there is one young guy I'd like to see get a shot over the next few weeks it's Stewart Moore, but if McCloskey and Marshall are fit and available I'm not sure where he will get a shot.

Players have had plenty of rest and we have no reason not to go full strength, so something like: 1.O'Sullivan 2. McBurney 3. Moore 4. Treadwell 5. O'Connor 6. Reidy 7. Murphy 8. Coetzee 9. Cooney/Shanahan 10. Burns 11. Gilroy 12. McCloskey 13. Marshall 14. Baloucoune 15. Addison

No idea if Addison will be fit, and if he isn't then we could be in trouble. Ludik, Lyttle and Lowry all out. Curtis and Hume are both out, so Stewart Moore is the only centre left I think. Not sure when Sam Carter is due back but I'd love to have him for games where the internationals are away.

Ludik, Lyttle and Lowry all out. Curtis and Hume are both out, so Stewart Moore is the only centre left I think......

Have you forgotten about your leading Pro14 try scorer??

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Have you forgotten about your leading Pro14 try scorer??

Honestly drawing a blank. Faddes?

Players have had plenty of rest and we have no reason not to go full strength, so something like: 1.O'Sullivan 2. McBurney 3. Moore 4. Treadwell 5. O'Connor 6. Reidy 7. Murphy 8. Coetzee 9. Cooney/Shanahan 10. Burns 11. Gilroy 12. McCloskey 13. Marshall 14. Baloucoune 15. Addison

No idea if Addison will be fit, and if he isn't then we could be in trouble. Ludik, Lyttle and Lowry all out. Curtis and Hume are both out, so Stewart Moore is the only centre left I think. Not sure when Sam Carter is due back but I'd love to have him for games where the internationals are away.

Unless he has had another setback Lowry should hopefully be back, at that was the aim a few weeks ago

Honestly drawing a blank. Faddes?

yes :D

sydthebeat wrote: »
    yes :D

I'm still holding a candle for him. He hasn't been great and Ulster fans haven't really taken to him yet, but he's capable of a lot more. Just look what happened to the Highlanders without him.

I'm still holding a candle for him. He hasn't been great and Ulster fans haven't really taken to him yet, but he's capable of a lot more. Just look what happened to the Highlanders without him.

He's had a few weeks off now so hopefully will come back refreshed

oohh that cuts deep !!!! :D:D:D

its a rebuilding year for us.
    Plenty of young potential.....but no challenging for silverware this year

• Registered Users Posts: 21,630 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Burns, McCloskey, McGrath and O'Toole released back for the pro14, Stockdale, Henderson, Herring and Cooney held on to for the camp in CIT.

• Advertisement

So we could field

1) McGrath
    2) McBurney
    3) Moore
    4) Treadwell
    5) O'Connor
    6) Rea
    7) Murphy
    8) Coetzee
    9) Shanahan
    10) Burns
    11) Gilroy
    12) McCloskey
    13) Marshall
    14) Baloucoune
    15) Faddes

Surely that enough against the Ospreys missing AWJ, Tipuric, North etc? In fact, I might be tempted to start Stewart Moore, Johnston or Rea Jr, if it wasn't for the fact that we don't want to be rusty against the Cheetahs.

Advertisement