Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Just watching Rory Best on Off the Ball. Jesus.

Rory, why did you go to the trial?
    Rory, why do you feel Irish?
    Rory, why can't you throw?
    Rory, why did you slag off Joe Schmidt?
    Rory, why did youse fail at the 2019 RWC?
    Rory, was it worth it?
    That's enough, Rory, thanks for that.
    Blydy hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Just watching Rory Best in off the wall. Jesus.

Rory, was it worth it?
    Blydy hell.
    What's 'off the wall'?

Just watching Rory Best in off the wall. Jesus.

Rory, was it worth it?
    Blydy hell.

I thought the bit where they told him that he was in fact bald was a bit harsh. He didn't take it well.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    What's 'off the wall'?

Autocorrect. Fixed it.

I loved the bit where the presenter told Best he didn't really think the team get-togethers on the mornings of games could be that important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

The more i hear Best speak since he retired.....

Edit: deleted. dont want to derail this or besmirch a former Ireland Captain
    Suffice to say im just not happy with the stuff he is saying

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Too much looking back with a lot of journalism nowadays.

Rory finished up at the world cup. Then it was his last ever game for the Barbarians. Then his last appearance off the bench. Then his last time talking at the post match interview. Then his last time leading out a team. Then his last time taking off his scrum cap.
    Now we have to have a microphone in front of his face every 2nd day to get his thoughts. Any little soundbite and the vultures are ready to pounce. Any sentence needs to be used out of context for "clicks".
    To be honest Rory should be standing ankle deep in cow shìte at this time of year not rehashing the same answers that he's been giving the last 4 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭2020Vision

mfceiling wrote: »
    Too much looking back with a lot of journalism nowadays.

Rory finished up at the world cup. Then it was his last ever game for the Barbarians. Then his last appearance off the bench. Then his last time talking at the post match interview. Then his last time leading out a team. Then his last time taking off his scrum cap.
    Now we have to have a microphone in front of his face every 2nd day to get his thoughts. Any little soundbite and the vultures are ready to pounce. Any sentence needs to be used out of context for "clicks".
    To be honest Rory should be standing ankle deep in cow shìte at this time of year not rehashing the same answers that he's been giving the last 4 months.

Two possibilities occur to me:

1. He's missing the limelight a bit. That's understandable and will fade away after a while.

2. He's too decent to turn down requests from the Irish media for a few words.

Other possible cause: he resents Joe Schmuck's demands for omerta from his players and is getting everything off his chest so he can get on with his life after rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

It's one hundred percent because he has a book coming out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I'm glad he's been pulled up on his attendance at the trial. It was madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

errlloyd wrote: »
    You waited until everyone had posted their most off the wall theories before posting this.

Well done! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭2020Vision

errlloyd wrote: »

If it's about rugby then he's missed the Christmas market and he'll be yesterday's man by the time Christmas 2020 rolls around.

But if it's about breeding pedigree Angus cattle, then the very best of luck to him!

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

I have just got my hands on tickets for game on Saturday - will be travelling down from Tyrone - I have never attended a match in Aviva coming this direction as I use to live in Dublin on the other side of the Aviva.

Where is the best place to park - I assume down the tunnel is the best option?

Any advice would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Tunnel and then the bridge is pretty handy, worth the few quid in my book to avoid the traffic.

Always parking in at Clanna Gael Fontenoy GAA Club
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/b4b7i4quvVfBqgND7

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

I know the Clanna Gael Club alright have been there before to play - Do they charge?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,293 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I know the Clanna Gael Club alright have been there before to play - Do they charge?

loads of little roads at the end of the Sean Moore that you could park and walk from

• Registered Users Posts: 21,630 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I think it's about a tenner or so to park in clanna gael these days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Yes, can't remember how much though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

https://www.ulsterrugby.com/2020/01/rea-and-moore-recommit-to-ulster/

Rea signed on for two more years, which is well deserved. Not like we have many options anyway.

Stewart Moore gets a senior contract and graduates from the academy a year early (I think). He's been injured most of the time since he left school, so this speaks volumes about how the coaches feel about him. He could see game time soon with Hume and Curtis out, and with McCloskey and Addison possibly called up for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I have just got my hands on tickets for game on Saturday - will be travelling down from Tyrone - I have never attended a match in Aviva coming this direction as I use to live in Dublin on the other side of the Aviva.

Where is the best place to park - I assume down the tunnel is the best option?

Any advice would be great

Would you consider parking up in somewhere like Drogheda or Skerries and taking the Dart from there? Fare isn't particularly expensive and saves sitting in traffic, tolls, walking etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Scythica

Looks like McCloskeys just become a dad from Instagram.

Probably quite glad he isn't playing on Saturday!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Scythica wrote: »
    Looks like McCloskeys just become a dad from Instagram.

Probably quite glad he isn't playing on Saturday!

You obviously don't have kids 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Scythica

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    You obviously don't have kids ��

True I don't!

Although I was thinking more about I imagine he's missed a lot of training sessions and that rather than the get away from the wain!

Thought Lewis Finlay was excellent tonight -snappy passing, decent box kicks and good defensive reads. Played like someone with a lot to prove, as I expect seeing a schoolboy getting senior game time ahead of him would have been frustrating. Doak is probably certain to get an academy place next season after he leaves school, but I think Finlay is making a good case for bringing two 9's in.

Tom Stewart nailed all (I think) of his lineouts. Nice run down the wing as well. Looks promising.

McCann was solid, nothing spectacular. Kept busy and had a nice offload to set up a try.

McIlroy was decent. Looks very confident in the air and with ball in hand. Didn't look too quick and fell off a couple of tackles.

Hyde went off early and I missed some of the match before finding a stream. Had a really nice run, and generally looked more promising than what he's shown for the A's.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Thought Lewis Finlay was excellent tonight -snappy passing, decent box kicks and good defensive reads. Played like someone with a lot to prove, as I expect seeing a schoolboy getting senior game time ahead of him would have been frustrating. Doak is probably certain to get an academy place next season after he leaves school, but I think Finlay is making a good case for bringing two 9's in.

Tom Stewart nailed all (I think) of his lineouts. Nice run down the wing as well. Looks promising.

McCann was solid, nothing spectacular. Kept busy and had a nice offload to set up a try.

McIlroy was decent. Looks very confident in the air and with ball in hand. Didn't look too quick and fell off a couple of tackles.

Hyde went off early and I missed some of the match before finding a stream. Had a really nice run, and generally looked more promising than what he's shown for the A's.

They should make room for two 9s. Cooney still has a good 5 or 6 years left in him, but there isn't a lot behind him.

From what I saw of it Finlay looked very good, very lively.

Doesn't Doak play 10 as well?

Are there any decent 10s in the Academy or at age group level in Ulster?

bilston wrote: »
    They should make room for two 9s. Cooney still has a good 5 or 6 years left in him, but there isn't a lot behind him.

From what I saw of it Finlay looked very good, very lively.

Doesn't Doak play 10 as well?

Are there any decent 10s in the Academy or at age group level in Ulster?

Houston is the only 10 in the academy but I wouldn't have high hopes for him and he hasn't looked great for the A's from what I've seen. Don't think there's any decent prospects out of school tbh. The lad from Methody last year was very good, but he's quit rugby to study medicine.

Doak played 10 for Ireland u18 last year and I've seen some people suggest it's his better position. But Ulster seem to have plans for him at 9 so you'd imagine that's where he'll stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

https://twitter.com/enhance_p/status/1217528363243442178?s=20

And the center stats from 18/19 season
    https://twitter.com/enhance_p/status/1134432084519510016?s=20

Sorry just had to get one last dig out of my system before 6n starts...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/enhance_p/status/1217528363243442178?s=20

And the center stats from 18/19 season
    https://twitter.com/enhance_p/status/1134432084519510016?s=20

Sorry just had to get one last dig out of my system before 6n starts...

I was going to say that his position for turnovers conceded may be significant, but then I see Ringrose is actually worse!

It's a strange one, maybe a case of his face just not fitting. If he was a Leinster or Munster player the southern media would be in meltdown over his exclusion.

bilston wrote: »
    I was going to say that his position for turnovers conceded may be significant, but then I see Ringrose is actually worse!

It's a strange one, maybe a case of his face just not fitting. If he was a Leinster or Munster player the southern media would be in meltdown over his exclusion.

I agree...his exclusion has barely been mentioned. Off the ball just wants to talk about Murray being the correct choice and how Aki is keeping henshaw out of the team

• Advertisement

Ringrose and Stu are 1st and 2nd for clean breaks...that might explain higher turnovers as they don't have support with them

Advertisement