Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Buer wrote: »
    Is it due to Moore being injured? And basically none of the others available are deemed useful into the future i.e. it's far better to invest time in TOT rather than have John Ryan holding tackle bags?

I don't think Moore is that injured. He hasn't been ruled out of the game this weekend at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Ulster A vs Leinster: CIYMS RFC on Friday 17th January, kick off 6pm.

(15-9) Conor Rankin, Ben Moxham, Stewart Moore, Ben Power, Luke Pollock, Bruce Houston, Lewis Finlay.

(1-8) Callum Reid, Zack McCall, Kyle McCall, Matthew Dalton, Jack Regan, Joe Dunleavy, Marcus Rea, Azur Allison (Capt.)

Replacements: Tom Stewart, Adam Hanna, Peter Cooper, Conor McMenamin, Matthew Agnew, Jack Milton, Conor McKee, Gregg Hutley, Ethan McIlroy, Andy Bryans.

Not sure what sort of team Leinster will put out, but realistically they should hammer us. Could see them playing a lot of u19/u20's like they did against Munster.

Reid, Moore, Stewart, McIlroy and maybe Allison I expect to have good futures with Ulster. Glad to see Stewart Moore back getting a run of games since his injury problems - I could see him getting minutes in the pro14 with Hume out for a while yet.

The scrumhalves would be interesting to watch, as I could see our next academy intake bringing in an extra 9 besides Doak. Finaly looks likely to start for the u20's and I think he's training with the sub-academy, and McKee is with the irish u20's as an u19. Not really sure on their quality though.

Interesting to see Moxham moved out to the wing. Thought he was primarily a 12 and I'm not sure about his pace, but it would be useful if he could add more strings to his bow. Not sure where he is in the pecking order for the irish u20's, but I hope he gets some game time as an u19.

Jack Milton is still u18 but never seen him play. Lots of players there who will want to put their hand up for one reason or another - some hoping to make the academy, some probably hoping to stay in it. Leinster's a tough game to do it in anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

Ulster A vs Leinster: CIYMS RFC on Friday 17th January, kick off 6pm.

(15-9) Conor Rankin, Ben Moxham, Stewart Moore, Ben Power, Luke Pollock, Bruce Houston, Lewis Finlay.

(1-8) Callum Reid, Zack McCall, Kyle McCall, Matthew Dalton, Jack Regan, Joe Dunleavy, Marcus Rea, Azur Allison (Capt.)

Replacements: Tom Stewart, Adam Hanna, Peter Cooper, Conor McMenamin, Matthew Agnew, Jack Milton, Conor McKee, Gregg Hutley, Ethan McIlroy, Andy Bryans.

Is Kyle McCall being converted to a Tighthead?

Ulster team to play Bath Rugby, Heineken Champions Cup Round 6, Saturday 18 January at Kingspan Stadium, kick-off 3.15pm:

(15-9) Will Addison, Robert Baloucoune, Luke Marshall, Stuart McCloskey, Jacob Stockdale, Billy Burns, John Cooney.

(1-8) Jack McGrath, Rob Herring, Tom O’Toole, Alan O’Connor, Iain Henderson (Capt.), Sean Reidy, Jordi Murphy, Marcell Coetzee.

Replacements: Adam McBurney, Eric O’Sullivan, Ross Kane, Kieran Treadwell, Nick Timoney, David Shanahan, Bill Johnston, Craig Gilroy.

• Advertisement

Strong team. What sort of side are Bath sending?

15. Tom Homer

14. Gabe Hamer-Webb

13. Jackson Willison

12. Max Wright

11. Ruaridh McConnochie

10. Freddie Burns

9. Ollie Fox

1. Beno Obano

2. Jack Walker

3. Will Stuart

4. Matt Garvey

5. Charlie Ewels (C)

6. Tom Ellis

7. Sam Underhill

8. Josh Bayliss

Replacements

16. Ross Batty

17. Lucas Noguera

18. Sam Nixon

19. Josh McNally

20. Mike Williams

21. Chris Cook

22. Rhys Priestland

23. Aled Brew

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

That back line kind of picks itself now. A very good sign for Ulster

Was hoping Bath would send a weaker side, but there's still some very good players there. We should win, but this has the potential to be a bad slip up imo. I think this is pretty much a must win game as far a permutations go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Ulster should fear no one at home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Ulster will win this at a canter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,382 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Delighted to see EOS back. Hopefully he gets more time during the Six Nations.

My rule of thumb is to give every new signing a season to settle in before writing them off, but not surprised at Faddes' absence. I'd have him behind every player named, Ludik, Hume at centre and Lyttle on the wing. Will the "development players" - Baloucoune et al - be available during the Six Nations? Might be the only way Faddes starts.

Hope FF is right and we handle them easily, and get some of the bench on early for some gametime. Treadwell, Shanahan, McBurney, Johnson going to be crucial over the next few months. Aren't Lowry and Carter due back soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Delighted to see EOS back. Hopefully he gets more time during the Six Nations.

My rule of thumb is to give every new signing a season to settle in before writing them off, but not surprised at Faddes' absence. I'd have him behind every player named, Ludik, Hume at centre and Lyttle on the wing. Will the "development players" - Baloucoune et al - be available during the Six Nations? Might be the only way Faddes starts.

Hope FF is right and we handle them easily, and get some of the bench on early for some gametime. Treadwell, Shanahan, McBurney, Johnson going to be crucial over the next few months. Aren't Lowry and Carter due back soon?

Most of the players not in the Ireland matchday squad will be available during the 6Ns, so Balacoune, O'Toole, Burns and possibly McGrath should all be available.

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    That back line kind of picks itself now. A very good sign for Ulster

I remember under Kiss our backline changed every bloody week. There was no chance to build cohesion.

Burns, McCloskey and Marshall have played a lotmof rugby together this season which is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

Went to A game.

Leinster just bigger, faster and smarter, not to mention ruthless in Ulster's 22. Adam Byrne 14 v Luke Pollock 11 perfect example of size and experience difference.

Scrums were even.

1 try down within 2 min. Ulster fought back. Held up. Penalty under posts etc. Went to corner. Lineout ball over the top to Leinster who clear it. It was one of those nights. Chance to level game gone.

Marcus Rea & Azzur Allison pick of the pack. Rea's try was superb. Real speed. Leinster's O Dowling 4 nearly had a long range run in but his team mate impeded a tackler so was ruled out but both freakishly quick for forwards.

Ulster backs rarely had the ball and generally messed it up when they did. S Moore the pick of the bunch. Hardly had the ball but beat his opposite man easily twice but then dropped one and cover got him on the other. Another time sub 10 (first year out of school) took too much out of the ball and by the time he passed it was behind S Moore (who was on a hard line) who couldn't catch it and got smashed. Not good.

Hard to understand why one or two boys are playing on that team. A few of the Leinster's tries were just too easy. Eg,
    Missed clearance kick caught on halfway line by L 15. L 15 runs in under posts.
    L 10 (still 18 apparently) runs between Ulster 9 and 10 off scrum in his own half. Try.
    U sub 10 got a bad pass in his own 22 and threw an even worse pass, a daisy cutter to noone. L 13 ran through picked it up and ran under posts unopposed.

Ulster tbf defended well for periods but Leinster had very fast direct runners, lots of ideas and options. L dominated most of the collisions.

I felt sorry for the v young and the very good Ulster players.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,382 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Went to A game.

Leinster just bigger, faster and smarter, not to mention ruthless in Ulster's 22. Adam Byrne 14 v Luke Pollock 11 perfect example of size and experience difference.

Scrums were even.

1 try down within 2 min. Ulster fought back. Held up. Penalty under posts etc. Went to corner. Lineout ball over the top to Leinster who clear it. It was one of those nights. Chance to level game gone.

Marcus Rea & Azzur Allison pick of the pack. Rea's try was superb. Real speed. Leinster's O Dowling 4 nearly had a long range run in but his team mate impeded a tackler so was ruled out but both freakishly quick for forwards.

Ulster backs rarely had the ball and generally messed it up when they did. S Moore the pick of the bunch. Hardly had the ball but beat his opposite man easily twice but then dropped one and cover got him on the other. Another time sub 10 (first year out of school) took too much out of the ball and by the time he passed it was behind S Moore (who was on a hard line) who couldn't catch it and got smashed. Not good.

Hard to understand why one or two boys are playing on that team. A few of the Leinster's tries were just too easy. Eg,
    L 10 (still 18 apparently) runs between Ulster 9 and 10 off scrum in his own half. Try.
    U sub 10 got a bad pass in his own 22 and threw an even worse pass, a daisy cutter to noone. L 13 ran through picked it up and ran under posts unopposed.

Ulster tbf defended well for periods but Leinster had very fast direct runners, lots of ideas and options. L dominated most of the collisions.

Looking at the teams, it was a c complete mismatch. However, if the scrums were even, that is very promising.

Went to A game.

Scrums were even.

So basically Marcus Rea, Azur Allison and Stewart Moore the best players? Hardly a surprise.

You say the scrums were even...how did Callum Reid go?

David McCann wasn't playing was he?

I hope Moore, Allison and Rea Jnr get a shot during the 6Ns. We have the Cheetahs and Dragons at home during that period so while we still need to win the games involving one or two even from the bench shouldn't hurt us

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

bilston wrote: »
    So basically Marcus Rea, Azur Allison and Stewart Moore the best players? Hardly a surprise.

You say the scrums were even...how did Callum Reid go?

David McCann wasn't playing was he?

I hope Moore, Allison and Rea Jnr get a shot during the 6Ns. We have the Cheetahs and Dragons at home during that period so while we still need to win the games involving one or two even from the bench shouldn't hurt us

I'm a back so not qualified re the front row but didn't really notice him in open play.

No MCCANN.

Agree with the last point.

Banbridge Academy prop was on the bench and Jack Milton, u18, from Ballyclare RFC was also there so fair do's to both of them. Milton was MOTM for Irish u18 clubs v Italy u18 recently and is involved with the u18 B side this year. Played 7 for Ulster Clubs u18 in the summer and was a real influence on the games. Great to see a young club player coming through.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Toulouse away is going to be a massive battle, will require a top performance but I think a fit Ulster team can put up a fight

Toulouse away is going to be a massive battle, will require a top performance but I think a fit Ulster team can put up a fight

It will be very tough. We will see where we are post Six Nations with injuries.

It's a big chance though, if we win we get a semi at the Aviva against either Exeter or Northampton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

The commentators were saying that Toulouse were playing for 2nd place and a possibly home semi? Was that incorrect, and by finishing 3rd seed they can get home semi? I forget the pre determined draw formula.

Edit: I checked rules on epc website. there is an advantage for second seeds. If Exeter and Ulster both win, Ulster are away to Exeter. Toulouse would have been in that position had they scored another try??

Brewster wrote: »
    The commentators were saying that Toulouse were playing for 2nd place and a possibly home semi? Was that incorrect, and by finishing 3rd seed they can get home semi? I forget the pre determined draw formula.

They finished 3rd due to points difference behind Exeter, I'd they'd scored another try they'd have leapfrogged Exeter into 2nd and gotten a guaranteed home semi as long as they won their quarter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

They finished 3rd due to points difference behind Exeter, I'd they'd scored another try they'd have leapfrogged Exeter into 2nd and gotten a guaranteed home semi as long as they won their quarter.

Yeah that’s it, Bliston saying Ulster would get a home semi if they win confused me. The only way Ulster can get a home semi is if Saints beat Exeter also....

Brewster wrote: »
    Yeah that’s it, Bliston saying Ulster would get a home semi if they win confused me. The only way Ulster can get a home semi is if Saints beat Exeter also....

Fair enough

The last time we played Toulouse in a quarter didn’t work out too badly.

awec wrote: »
    The last time we played Toulouse in a quarter didn’t work out too badly.

When Balacoune and Stockdale were still in nappies and Tom O'Toole was about 3 months old!

McCloskey called up to the Six Nations squad. Delighted for the bloke, should have been in the original squad and just hope he gets a chance to show how he's improved over the last couple seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

What was the score in the A match?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

What was the score in the A match?
    62 - 12.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

McCloskey called up to the Six Nations squad. Delighted for the bloke, should have been in the original squad and just hope he gets a chance to show how he's improved over the last couple seasons.

Yeah should have been in the from the start without a doubt.
    Looks like Farrell's knock has ruled him next up.

You'd imagine he's third choice at 12 was it stands with Aki and Henshaw preferred.
    Hopefully he can shine in training and give AF something to think about.

Advertisement