Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,179 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Fantastic prospect! Really like Bryn Ward too! A no doubters for the academy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

He did a much better job against Ox Nche than O'Toole. No shame in being pressured by Ox but Wilson dealt with it ably with no fanfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Expecting Wilson to be first choice THP next season would be madness. He is still developing and adjusting to pro rugby, he can't yet have the conditioning to go through the season playing the lions share of minutes in that position. He'd either be crocked come the business end of the season or it'll catch up with him later in his career. Who would even be the back up, an unfit and regularly injured MM and/or some AIL player who isn't going to be able to get up to pro level in a short period of time?

Moving TOT to the other side wouldn't actually solve any problems, it just leaves the squad short on both sides of the scrum. What would the depth chart at LHP be, TOT and Warwick, nobody else (presuming EOS is let go)? That would mean both sides with no depth and no serious competition.

TOT should stay at TH, Wilson can back him up and get plenty of minutes to develop. If Wilson is good enough, he can take the starting jersey during the season. At least then the TH side is covered. EOS needs to be retained at LHP (not a world-beater but at least he can do a job) and someone else brought in. A squad needs at least two reliable players for LH and TH, with TOT and Wilson that's TH cover, resign EOS and you need to bring in another LH (Ed Byrne?). Moving TOT and releasing EOS means they need to find two props, one a TH which even Leinster are struggling to find.

Leaving the squad paper thin in key positions is not a good idea and is certain to backfire. You can't have just one good quality player in your squad at 1, 3, 9 and 10 (which would be the case if Doak moves to 10 and TOT switches to LHP and no top players brought in). Ironically, the area of the pitch where Ulster could rely on young lads and shift guys around as necessary to fill gaps is in the outside backs, yet that is where they have signed a Saffer!

lster v Montpellier, GGL Stadium, Sunday 7 April, 12 30pm (UK/Ire time), Challenge Cup Round of 16 (live on ViaPlay).

(15-9) Stewart Moore, Rob Baloucoune, James Hume, Stuart McCloskey, Ethan McIlroy, Nathan Doak, John Cooney;

(1-8) Steven Kitshoff, Rob Herring, Tom O’Toole, Alan O’Connor, Iain Henderson (C), Matty Rea, David McCann, Nick Timoney.

Replacements: Tom Stewart, Andy Warwick, Scott Wilson, Harry Sheridan, Cormac Izuchukwu, Jake Flannery, Jacob Stockdale, Dave Ewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,755 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Did Dan McFarland pick this team?

Maybe Matty Rea really is doing g something us mere mortals can't identify.

Just to be clear I don't Rea is a bad player at all, I just can't understand why he is ahead of Sheridan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭launish116

Kitshoff departure confirmed.

Do they now beg O’Sullivan to stay?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

I’d put money on Matty Rea being our first choice LHP

• Registered Users Posts: 8,179 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

They'll get someone from Leinster.

Hearing we’re actually paying half of his contract also

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭RuPi

Heard that as well, so thinking there may suddenly be 500k a year available it isn’t as straight forward as that.

• Advertisement

What?

We're paying half his contract to play for someone else?

Please tell me I've misinterpreted this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭hold my beer

That's terrible, terrible business from Ulster. Absolute madness if true.

• Administrators Posts: 53,415 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Nah there's no way this is true.

We're dopes but we're not this stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

I refuse to believe this is true, there's no basis for including that in his contract. It's beyond negligence given we actually tried to part ways with our head coach before he even arrived and our financial situation is apparently dire to start with.

• Administrators Posts: 53,415 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I am pretty sure this rumour was started by someone on UAFC who was speculating without really understanding how these things work.

There's no chance whatsoever it's true.

That's what I heard this evening and as Awec said I hope that is far from the truth.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

That kind of thing only happens when you loan a player to a club to reduce salary costs surely.

Hard not to beat that Montpellier team in the second half. Better to be in the next round than not though so if nothing else it won't hurt the confidence I suppose.

Tough game next weekend.

Far from convincing, but from financial point of view surely it's better to be in the next round? shame it's another away agme.

Would have been better if it was at home as it would have negated some of the loss incurred from last season's La Rochelle debacle.

Just on the game, it's good to see Baloucoune finding a bit of form.

On a different note, should we be playing Kitshoff?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

I would hope they would squeeze every ounce out of him before he leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

More rumours!

Baloucoune has been approached to join Ireland’s Sevens programme. True?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Based on his performances to date he must have a hell of a lot of ounces to give.

And when is Tom O'Toole going to become a born again LH?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Rugbyf565

Hopefully Baloucoune stays in 15s, I really think if he can string 6 months of high quality performances together next season that he’ll right back in Andy Farrell’s plans. He has qualities we’re really lacking in the Irish set up- pace, flair, size.
    As for Tom O’Toole, if he wants a successful Irish career I think he has to convert to loose head. Honestly, he would be straight into Andy Farrells 23 at loosehead. Outside of Porter there is very little competition as Cian Healy and Kilcoyne have retired, you only have Loughman to fight for position on the bench. Wilson is Ulster’s and Ireland’s future at tighthead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Any of our resident front rowers care to explain how difficult it is for a TH > LH conversion?

We saw Porter go LH > TH > LH.

O'Toole is still young in the TH position but he hasn't exactly kicked on in the last 18months. Still just sits outside the top 2 or 3 irish TH. Might be worth a shot?

Moving TOT to LH doesn't solve any problems for Ulster. It just means they need to sign a good quality TH instead of LH, which is likely to be more difficult and more expensive.

Post edited by Pete_Cavan on

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Rugbyf565

Warwick, French, McGrath and Moore are all good enough back ups. If Andy Farrell wants O’Toole at loose head, Richie Murphy will have to abide.

Luke Marshall to retire at the end of the season. It's hard to believe it's 14 years since he starred at the Aviva in the first ever match there. He's been a great servant for Ulster and was involved in some good wins for Ireland, notably the 1st Test in SA in 2016.

Warwick might be passable as a second choice prop but the others are break glass in case of emergency options. If it is those guys plus TOT and Wilson next season, the latter two are going to be flogged. An injury to either and Ulster are going to be eaten alive at scrum time. If Andy Farrell wants O’Toole at loose head, the IRFU should be paying for a high end TH at Ulster.

• Advertisement

(15-9) Stewart Moore, Rob Baloucoune, James Hume, Stuart McCloskey, Mike Lowry, Nathan Doak, John Cooney;

(1-8) Steven Kitshoff, Rob Herring, Tom O’Toole, Alan O’Connor, Iain Henderson (C), Harry Sheridan, David McCann, Nick Timoney.

Replacements: Tom Stewart, Andy Warwick, Scott Wilson, Cormac Izuchukwu, Dave Ewers, Jake Flannery, Ethan McIlroy, Marcus Rea.

Good team. Not sure why no Stockdale.

Advertisement