Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,990 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

why go to the tail when you've been under pressure all game. Disastrous choice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭launish116

Clip of the coaching box and actually seeing the coaching team enjoying things, night and day.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,755 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I think that was more of a step forward than the Dragons win. That said the Stormers were really poor in the first half, perhaps partially down to a fast start from Ulster. But Libbok in particular wasn't at the races at all.

Timoney, Sheridan and McCann were all very good, although McCann's yellow was very costly, not sure I'd describe it as brain dead but it wasn't worth the risk IMO. The backs looked very dangerous in the first half but didn't get much ball in the second half.

But I'd be more optimistic about the run in now than I was before KO today. So green shoots, but there's a hell of a long way to go.

Doak was a mixed bag, and maybe there is something to work with there with consistent minutes, but I still believe strongly we need to bring someone else in at 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

South African media reporting that Kitschoff has a break clause in his contract that allows him to leave if the head coach changes. Stormers have new financial backers and want to bring him in at the end of the season.

Post edited by Clegg on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Honestly, he's been underwhelming. We need a decent LH if he goes but I wonder could we then get a good NIQ ten?

• Advertisement

I'd of kept Rory Sutherland.Though I honestly see O'Toole being asked to switch.

Until we bolster the pack the backline is a luxury we just can't fully utilise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,179 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

George Saunderson and Callum Reid appear to be busts. There's only Warrick if SK returns to S.A. O'Toole should be left where he is, imo. He's probably Ireland's future th.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Rugbyf565

https://www.the42.ie/nathan-doak-out-half-6342199-Apr2024/

I’m still not convinced by Doak’s move to 10. Every play that Doak creates here—Flannery is more than capable of doing, and Frawley would do it at a faster pace. He doesn’t look like a natural 10 with the ball to me. I’m baffled that it’s mentioned in the article that Andy Farrell approved Doak’s move to 10. Ireland needs another Conor Murray, a physical, game managing 9. It’s also mentioned in the article that Ulster are luring fly half Jack Murphy to the province for next season if this is true then what is the logic to playing Doak at 10?? Develop Flannery as starter, and Murphy as replacement and put Doak back to starting 9. If that doesn’t work out invest in Ciaran Frawley.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

They are trying to put a positive spin on a change that looks more like a stop-gap we've implemented at the last-minute to cover a massive whole in our squad, much like the O'Toole switch. Neither Doak nor Flannery have impressed at 10 and although Jack Murphy looked decent at u20 level, he didn't stand out to me as a certain starter quality flyhalf. I reckon he'll remain with Leinster anyway. I'm also not really sure what Andy Farrell approving the move means - does he actually think highly of Doak's prospects at 10, or was he just not in his plans at all at 9 so he didn't particularly care?

And what's our plans for scrumhalf now? Cooney is not getting any younger and if Doak's future really lies at flyhalf then we will be doing this same dance in another pivotal position a season or two from now. I haven't watched Michael McDonalds loan at connacht so I have no idea how he's progressing, but presumably he'll return to back up Cooney next season?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I fear Doak being moved to 10 next season could be a disaster for all concerned - player, club and country. He has the ability to be a very good 9 but needs coaching to help him get where he needs to be. The level of coaching needed to make him even a reasonable 10 will be far greater.

That’s why I'd like to see him in international squads, get him better coaching there if he's not getting it at his provence. Ireland need to be building depth at 9 anyway, if in 2 years JGP is on the decline, it will be a problem position.

Shifting Doak to 10 probably prevents him from reaching his potential peak as a 9. It doesn't even solve any problems for Ulster as Cooney will need to be replaced after next season anyway. They'll be looking for at least one starting quality halfback at that stage, the current plan means they may actually need to find two starting quality halfbacks in the not distant future.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,425 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I'd be more comfortable with Doak switching to 10 if we had another 10 we could rely on to give Doak the time he is going to need.

But to drop him in there with no other option, I just don't see how it can possibly work.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

Ulster after offering several leinster u20 backs academy spots.. Jack Murphy, Wil De Klerk, Sam Berman.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Gerry Thornley is now also reporting that Kitschoff will return to South Africa at the end of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

He's been at Ulster for ~4 months given the RWC, what a disaster.

Makes sense I suppose. Looking at the extended Ireland u18 and 19 squads, we have very few outside backs coming through and only Josh Gibson and Johnny Scott made the final cut. No idea about upcoming prospects below that.

Leinster have Osbourne who is pushing for higher honours, Brownlee who is quite highly rated, and two small but strong centres in Turner and Cooney, so they might not be all-in on De Klerk or Berman. Whether they want to come here is another matter.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Has Berman played any u20? I've never seen him.

Played last year as an u19 but was injured this year. I wasn't terribly impressed tbh but he is quite small so playing a year early was always a tough ask. Going by the leinster forum he seems to be going ok in AIL

• Registered Users Posts: 23,838 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

He can't be expected to play at the level Ulster are playing, and with all the administrative upheaval, when likely far greater honours were advertised to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I dunno if this is serious or not? Of course he can, it's sport, he's being paid, get on with it. Ulster have won basically nothing so I'm not sure what honours could have been promised.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Presumably a fee will be paid to have him released from his contract, if so that might cover what Ulster have paid him which would mean he effectively played for free (from an Ulster pov). Ulster are better off getting his wage off the books for next season, whether that can be allocated towards an/other player(s) is other question.

• Advertisement

Some players thrive outside the bubble in which they come up; they can really bring something of themself outside their comfort zone. Kitschoff has not notably been out-performing Andy Warwick. I'd rather get the money back.

I think we Ulster fans have a pretty distorted view of the leadership that SA players can bring, because we think back to Pienaar, Muller and Stefan Terblanche. Kitschoff showed markedly less determination and passion than Louis Ludik, who was a fraction as good a player as Spicy Plum is/was.

Coetzee put in some fantastic performances, but never seemed a leader. Vermeulen was alright, but didn't bring any amazing leadership either. I think we need to look at our assumption that our SA imports with be the roll-up-your-sleeves, do-or-die inspirations that we might hope.

We need someone with Bundee Aki's depth of character and passion.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Rugbymad2020

incorrect,he has a clause that if coach at Ulster changes he can have the option of leaving

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭PMC83

I read somewhere that he was pretty homesick and went through something similar at Bordeaux, the coach thing could be the prefect excuse.

Development contracts for McNabey, Wilson, McLaughlin.

Thought Wilson would be offered a senior tbf. He has looked good.

But would be happy if McNabey & Mclaughlin were wrapped in wool and left to S&C ready for the next season.

Any idea what Crothers contract situation is?

3 year contract for James McNabney, 2 years for Scott Wilson and Lorcan McLaughlin.

They appear to be development contracts which is odd as far as Scott Wilson is concerned. By my reckoning if O'Toole moves to LH, Wilson will be first choice Tight Head next season which should really merit more than a Development contract.

Was thinking that also.

Ironically we now have a nice age profile second row/backrow developing.

One year development deal last Spring, as far as I'm aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,179 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Great seeing homegrown lads coming up. Wilson will be an international player, imo.

I want to see more of Crothers. I like him, I think he has real potential, some say he is a bit small, he's probably in direct competition with Marcus Rea. But like the other two you mention a year of S&C is no bad thing, but he must be 21 by now so time is ticking.

• Advertisement

You can never tell as far as test rugby goes, but he has certainly been the find of the season for Ulster. His scrummaging has been impressive in that he hasnt (to my memory) been dominated by anyone which is surely more than half the battle for a 20 year old TH prop. He is abrasive in the loose and is good at the breakdown. He's an exciting prospect for sure.

Advertisement