Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I don't buy that RAL game excuse, how can one game be impacting finances two seasons later when they went and signed Kitshoff the season after that game? There was a home URC quarter final which shouldn't have been budgeted for that season.

There are clearly much worse systematic issues which are working through now. Getting rid of Kitshoff, Ewers, Addison and Burns, plus possibly EOS, seemingly without any replacements for the 24/25 season can't be due to one game in the 22/23 season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Has it been reported that Kitshoff and Burns etc are being offloaded for financial reasons, or is this speculation?

I know the guy has had a torrid time but even if we were swimming in cash there’s no argument to renew Addison.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Billy Burns - yes, it was reported. Not offered a new contract as part of budgetary belt-tightening.

Kitshoff I'm less clear on, but reading between the lines, no - I think he wanted to return home and Ulster leapt on the opportunity to reclaim the cash.

And although Kitshoff is obviously a much bigger name, Burns is much, much more important to us (and on significantly less money.) As I said, the same thing happened the previous season with Rob Lyttle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I am going to assume Ulster are signing a new out-half, and the budget issue is that they can't pay both Burns AND the new guy, whoever he might be.

Surely the plan for next season isn't Doak and Flannery?

God Almighty I hope so. If it was, and the IRFU hadn't done a little bit of moving numbers between columns to allow us to retain Burns - you see why we'd be annoyed.

But I don't know how much faith to have - the IRFU ended the financial year just finished with a deficit of over 10 million Euro.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,372 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The indications are that there's no 10 coming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭launish116

As we attempt to paper over 10, we create issues at 9.

It's the ulster way 2 steps forward 1 step back!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Offer Harry Byrne a central contract on the condition he moves to Ulster and simultaneously solve two problems and cause three provinces to riot?

That's what makes me think there has to be a 10 coming, they can't be that stupid! Burns wage demands can't be that much that Ulster couldn't have kept him. There is a Saffer coming anyway so finances can't be that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

It would be criminal if Humphreys son was signed? That would be so Ulster.

Is he no use?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Deramore

Humphreys son is in the academy already, unlikely to make it as a pro. Jack Murphy the out half from the 20s was rumored to be joining Ulster, not sure if that solves anything for next season

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭RuPi

AFAIK James Humphreys has a development deal for next season. They need bodies to train against and is a cheap option can be there only thinking, he isn’t going to make it as a pro.

Jack Murphy is not ready for pro rugby yet either be that in Leinster or Ulster as I believe he has offers from both for the academy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Max deegan heading your way apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 17,748 ✭✭✭✭bilston

You'd like to think so.

Part of me wonders whether the Barrett signing is linked to this. He essentially covers every position Frawley plays, but then that's only a six month contract and Frawley is now a regular in the Ireland 23 so not sure there is much incentive for him to leave Leinster and join Ulster, unless he wants to play 10 every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

that would be great.

I see Moloney is away to Bath. Would have been a decent signing for Ulster considering O'Connor appears to be winding down.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,748 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I'd be happy with that, wished it had happened two years ago, but he is still relatively young (wasn't he Ryan/Stockdale/Porter/Keenan U20 vintage?) and hopefully hungry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭overshoot

Agreed on the 10, zero point in the Doak move when cooney is on a time limit (and from an Ireland pov, feels more 10s loitering around (leinster) than 9s. Casey is about to be 25, doak just turned 22. JGP, Murray, cooney won’t be around come the next world cup

Burns getting an Irish call is unlikely so he is a good/experienced back up for Crowley at Munster…. Paves the way for a HB, SP,?? to be a starting 10 at Ulster who might at least have potential to challenge for the Ireland jersey… over 4/5 only getting partial game time in Leinster. It would be convincing someone to look at a green jersey long term over trophies short term though

It's worth mentioning, that any Leinster player who would have moved to Ulster, would have seen their career nosedive under the tutelage of MacFarland! Would ye consider that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,383 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I've said it before, but Max Deegan must be looking forlornly at Nick Timoney's number of caps.

Also, if they were there during the part of McFarland's tenure when James Hume, Robert Baloucoune and Michael Lowry were getting their first caps, they might have gotten some caps.

Before Peel left, Ulster were rocking over nicely. I know it's complicated to deal with the fact that a province's fortunes can change under one head coaches' tenure, but it's true.

Beside, if they were trusted, like Henderson, McCloskey and Herring, they would have continued to have gotten Irish caps as those fellas have, regardless of how Ulster were performing.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Looking at that article, Cruden is 35 and has two kids under 5, that is not a good profile. If he relocates to the other side of the globe, I'd say he would only be looking for a last pay check and would have little incentive to perform well (would retire after anyway). Good chance he'd be phoning it in, particularly if things aren't going well (not just him, I'd say the same about anyone in that situation).

I'd be fairly sure that the money required to get Cruden to Belfast would have kept BB there.

Personally, I'd be doing a deep dive I to some of the talented 10s playing for various Tier 2 teams we saw at at the RWC, seeing if any if then were suitable/interested.

If we're going to reset, let's reset, and get someone we can build a team around, not someone who'll be a plaster for two seasons.

Jimmy Gopperth apparently hasn't renewed for next year yet. Could be an option for the future?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭jacothelad

A back row partnering the likes of Sheridan, McCann, Timoney with Max Deegan and a few of the other young guys sounds great….but no real brute, apart from Sheridan who appears to be a fine prospect, to be a focal point. We are screwed at lock, loose head, 10, 11 and 15. I know it's not a popular position to take but Lowry is a liability.

Cruden would be a typical Ulster signing. While Leinster signed a Ferrari of a player, Ulster might be signing a clapped out Mondeo with 300,000 miles on the clock, a missing wheel and a buggered turbo.

Not again ffs.

BTW. Good for Leinster for signing Barrett. Anything that raises the profile and attractiveness of rugby is a good thing.

I was bemused a few months back to discover that the 'blazers' who held Ulster back after the European Cup win and caused carnage and huge discontent and reputational harm are still a large part of the bloody awful management. Now, many 'blazers' and 'alickadoos' are the backbone of rugby clubs but they have eff all squared to offer the professional side of things except to provide a millstone around the neck of the club.

With regard to the huge financial loss over the La Rochelle to Aviva debacle which someone queried, apart from the huge extra expense of hauling everybody to Dublin and accommodating over 30 people, we lost a full home gate. That is the thick end of half a million £ on it's own. We also would be saddled with the cost of 'hiring' the Aviva………and that is not a cheap alternative to a home game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭launish116

Ulster thinking a marque name will sweeten fans and paper over the issues.

I'd Rather we found 2 or 3 dum lumps capable of running hard and flattening things, ideally South African. Did Jason Jenkins ever confirm his departure?

We almost need a back up in most positions or capable starter for rotation.

Props/Row/9/10/15 gonna get flogged next season

There are rumors that Deegan is taking the plunge and moving north to Bedlam!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Rumours

Ed Byrne leaving (could be north bound)

Ruddock retiring

Ben Murphy leaving (connacht)

Alex Soroka leaving (connacht)

Deegan leaving (rumoured to be north bound)

Ngatai leaving

Confirmed

Molony off to Bath

Jenkins off to Sharks

Alaalatoa off to Clermont

Advertisement