Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I'm both a Seiko fan and a Street Fighter 2 fan, but those are too garish ... I suspect I'm still not the target market though.

I'd be a big SF2 fan myself but those watches just strike me as meh.
    I know a lad who is after buying 2 of the JDM dragon Ball collabs.
    I can't see the attraction, but again I'm not their target market.
    Now if they release an Avatar the last airbender, uncle Iroh or 90's X-Men crossover...

They can name their price!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

I kind of hate all of them but I'm oddly drawn to the Zangief one. Definitely won't be buying one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

Anyone know if Seiko has a larger 42mm plus that looks just like the Seiko SNXS73? Love it but it's bit too small

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

I'd have been a big SF fan, but none of those would have any appeal - they seem a bit young for SF2 fans.

A family member just went through the attic and turned up a 1943 Omega wristwatch that they claimed was associated with a WW2 Spitfire pilot's wristwatch. My spider senses started tingling but after some investigation, it's spot on. We did end up with some WW2 American army LMG ammo boxes and bags for them, an English pilots flask and some well stocked first aid crates but I didn't think there was anything else there.

It's far from in perfect visual condition, but working great inside and has been keeping time. It somehow ended up with a very old German bracelet on it, possibly from postwar occupation. I'm guessing the best thing to do now is not to wind it anymore, and see about getting it serviced? It's not worth a huge amount from what I can see - in perfect nick they're selling for just under 2k:
    https://www.chrono24.com/omega/vintage-military-watch-2292--id15418163.htm#gref

If anyone had any recommendations I'd love to hear them!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,511 ✭✭✭micks_address

OldBean wrote: »
    I'd have been a big SF fan, but none of those would have any appeal - they seem a bit young for SF2 fans.

A family member just went through the attic and turned up a 1943 Omega wristwatch that they claimed was associated with a WW2 Spitfire pilot's wristwatch. My spider senses started tingling but after some investigation, it's spot on. We did end up with some WW2 American army LMG ammo boxes and bags for them, an English pilots flask and some well stocked first aid crates but I didn't think there was anything else there.

It's far from in perfect visual condition, but working great inside and has been keeping time. It somehow ended up with a very old German bracelet on it, possibly from postwar occupation. I'm guessing the best thing to do now is not to wind it anymore, and see about getting it serviced? It's not worth a huge amount from what I can see - in perfect nick they're selling for just under 2k:
    https://www.chrono24.com/omega/vintage-military-watch-2292--id15418163.htm#gref

If anyone had any recommendations I'd love to hear them!
    The dial looks great. Is it the original dial?

• Advertisement

That's the exact same dial, but it's not ours on Chrono24! It's a beautiful piece, but the surface has gotten quite mottled through the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,511 ✭✭✭micks_address

That's the exact same dial, but it's not ours on Chrono24! It's a beautiful piece, but the surface has gotten quite mottled through the years.

Are you looking for recommendations on what to do with it? or a price?

Sorry - what to do with it! I wouldn't want to restore it or anything, but would definitely like to see how it's running inside and if there's a light touch of servicing that can be done to it, so if we do decide to wear/sell/trade/keep in a box for another 50 years, it'll be in the best possible nick.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Sorry - what to do with it!

That it was in the attic with ammo boxes and other ww2 ephemera is fantastic.
    It could and would make a lovely little mini-museum on a shelf.

As for the servicing, no experience of vintage servicing but Wibbs, TF and a couple of other posters here can no doubt offer some advice on that front.

Lovely watch and great find, long may you and yours enjoy it :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Oh very nice OB. Looks like the Omega CK2292 model as issued to the RAF, mostly to navigators. Longines also had a similar layout. Both were to a British air ministry spec. Unusually for the time they specified pale dials when the vast majority of pilots watches had black dials. No radium lume either(the earlier Air Ministry Weems with bezel were similar). They're a very nice watch indeed. Cracking little movement in them and when well serviced will be very accurate. I seem to recall some were made with alloy cases because steel was at a premium and they generally fetch a little more, though that may just be the Longines examples? Solid lugs for a one piece or stitched on strap(they look great on a NATO), though some had the solid lugs removed down the years.

IMHO that's a watch that is very deserving of a service and to be worn. Shed loads of history and the ageing of the dial wouldn't worry me a jot. I mean when Longines brought out their reissue they added mottling. For the hipsters like. :D Yours is real.

B89A0247_copy.jpg?ixlib=rails-1.1.0&auto=format&ch=Width,DPR,Save-Data&fit=crop&fm=jpg&q=55&usm=12&w=820&

I suppose these days they're a small watch which can put some off, which is a pity. Though I'm 1940's style scrawny of wrist so can get away with it. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

That's exactly the one Wibbs - I'd found some pieces online referencing the 2292 alright. There's some inscriptions on the back that I'm going to try figure out next. It's currently on my fathers wrist and he's enjoying it - I'm keen to get it serviced so winding won't do any damage. It's definitely too small for my wrists, the smallest I can pull off is a 38, and even then..!

Very cool find for a Thursday - there was some other wristwatches found at the same time, nothing near as exciting as this guy.

banie01 wrote: »
    That it was in the attic with ammo boxes and other ww2 ephemera is fantastic.
    It could and would make a lovely little mini-museum on a shelf.

Lovely idea, and I'd love to, but at the moment I may have too many mini-museums on the go!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Well to give you an idea of my level of scrawny, this is a 32mm on me...

523649.jpg
    1940 issued German navy watch.

:eek: :D Your Omega would fit me grand.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »

523649.jpg

Jaysis! We've met a few times in a previous life/username (w/admin approval!) and I'd never have remembered you for having wrists that thin! That's how my Speedmaster wears on my own.

Wibbs wrote: »

I'd say our wrists are very similar in size. I didn't think it possible for another man to have wrists close to my size lol

• Registered Users Posts: 65,117 ✭✭✭✭unkel

hitemfrank wrote: »
    I'd say our wrists are very similar in size. I didn't think it possible for another man to have wrists close to my size lol

I can confirm that! :p

Although I genuinely felt the 40mm Milgauss fitted your wrist perfectly. It's a small wearing watch.

Yeah, I was very pleasantly surprised at how it wears.

Need to squirrel away more money. Prices on Chrono24 seems to have crept up in line with the Rolex price increase. Understandable, but annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

https://www.seikowatches.com/global-en/products/5sports/special/streetfighter/

These look fun for those who are nostalgic about Street Fighter - hopefully they did something interesting for the casebacks too.

Chun Li's one became a pseudo GMT too. The Blanka/Zangrief bezels were an opportunity missed to do something else interesting (or semi-functional at least).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭Ryath

Thirdfox wrote: »
    https://www.seikowatches.com/global-en/products/5sports/special/streetfighter/

These look fun for those who are nostalgic about Street Fighter - hopefully they did something interesting for the casebacks too.

Chun Li's one became a pseudo GMT too. The Blanka/Zangrief bezels were an opportunity missed to do something else interesting (or semi-functional at least).

Just a print on the glass caseback.
    SRPF19K1_bac_13202813501288_jpg.jpg

I like the Ryu one maybe on different strap. At first I thought the Blanka one was too mad but it's grown on me. Don't like any of the other ones except maybe the Guile one. Huge street fighter fan growing up first game I really remember playing in an arcade. Daughter quite likes playing it on the Snes mini with me.

They're very pricey for a Seiko 5 though @ £380 and I doubt there will be sales.
    https://storage.seikowatches.com/production/images/2020/08/SRPF19K1_bac_13202813501288_jpg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,253 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I like the Ken and Zangif one. Nice to have something a bit colourful and different in the collection

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

The Ken watch looks Bad Ass! Not for £380 mind :D

hitemfrank wrote: »
    Yeah, I was very pleasantly surprised at how it wears.

Need to squirrel away more money. Prices on Chrono24 seems to have crept up in line with the Rolex price increase. Understandable, but annoying.

I don't think Rolex prices have increased recently?

Milgauss is €8k RRP, cheapest one on Chrono24 in the EU with box and papers is €7k

Not bad for a Rolex, many of them have higher second hand prices than the RRP :D

A few of them went up by about 800 a couple of months ago. I was seeing full sets for 6500 or there abouts a few months ago.

Yeah I think you're right about the chrono24 prices. It wasn't quite €7k when I got mine a few months ago. I'll do you a good deal if I can get a good deal somewhere on a 116622 :D

Apparently there are some rumours around about Rolex discontinuing the Milgauss, which will send prices up. And there are some rumours about Rolex launching a blue sub, which would be of great interest to me too!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,220 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Quick question about a quartz watch which is doing strange things. Wondering if it's just a new battery it needs or does it sound like something more serious?

It's rarely worn but I checked it this morning and it's doing this:

Rather than ticking every second, it's not moving the second hand at all for perhaps 3sec, then the does the 3 tick/tick/tick movements it missed over the space of maybe half a second.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,220 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

OmegaGene wrote: »
    It’s called the end of life feature
    New battery needed soon

Thats a relief, thought it might have been something more serious.

Tbh, never heard of it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭893bet

No ore cheap tat from China. And no more expensive tat from China labelled as cheap tat.

22 euro and 6 euro rules are abolished.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058104431

That is pretty awful. But VAT will not be collected if there is only €6 or less due, so very cheap parts will still be cheap. It does mean that a €27 part will now cost us €43 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭893bet

unkel wrote: »
    That is pretty awful. But VAT will not be collected if there is only €6 or less due, so very cheap parts will still be cheap. It does mean that a €27 part will now cost us €43 :(

The 6 euro rule is also abolished. Some confusion on the thread but it’s stated in the pdf on page 8 that the rule is gone.

Cheap parts now very very dear!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

They will still misrepresent the contents as 'gift, value €15' without this being asked for by the Irish purchaser.

Advertisement