Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

This is my Caseback Watches limited edition card holder handmade in Hamburg by Tim Holzhäuser

514248.JPG

Doesn't hold many cards but it's rare and watch related.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭micks_address

It's a watch thread so I'll be brief..never understood wallets or phones in arse pockets...phones especially...surely a recipe for disaster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

It's a watch thread so I'll be brief..never understood wallets or phones are arse pockets...phones especially...surely a recipe for disaster

Its the general discussion thread you can discuss whatever you want here, just dont discuss fake watches on the fake busters thread. :p:p:p

Its the general discussion thread you can discuss whatever you want here, just dont discuss fake watches on the fake busters thread. :p:p:p

What about fake wallets

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭banie01

What about fake wallets

Homage!
    Those are homage :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33008926026.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.14834c4dXiHomY

For those who prefer homages :D - it's a nice way to try out the Secrid mechanism if you don't mind pleather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

I'm really not a fan of the Secrid wallets. I find them to be really bulky, and not into the 'pop out' feature. I've been using Sandqvist for wallets for the last few years. Indigo & Cloth in Temple Bar stock them, though they currently have a sale on their website.

Current one is this guy in dark brown:

https://www.sandqvist.com/en/p/stellan-green

Would recommend.

Oh and to put out some completely random watch info that I realised in the last few days - I keep getting straps attached upside down on the watch and found out this (apologies if everyone knew this already)...

The "tongue" of the strap attaches to the bottom lugs of the watch...tongue is near the bottom of the face. Equally the part of the strap/bracelet that has the piece that folds over the other piece is attached to the top - since it folds over/on top of the other piece...

Hopefully I wasn't the only one who kept of reattaching bracelets/straps upside down :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Eoin wrote: »
    And another +1 for the secrid - has made me a lot more disciplined and not carrying around receipts from 2 years ago "just in case". It'll take a Tile Finder card as well, for anyone like me who thought they lost it, started replacing my cards and then finding it down the back of the sofa. Paying by phone is really handy - don't even bring my wallet with me most of the time when getting groceries.

When it comes to pens and wallets, I'm very much "form follows function" (i.e. I don't really care, just want it to do its job), so reading all the talk about pens, I've realised what it feels like for non-watch people when I tell them about the movement in my watch after they comment on it out of politeness.

Not much weird fascination with knives here? Still can't figure out why so many people feel the need to have a knife they bring everywhere.

I'd be lost without my Leatherman wave. I couldn't count how many times I use it every day. But then my line of work is a lot different to most of you on here, or any watch forum for that matter.

I'd say the knife collection industry in USA is bigger than most small countries' GDP.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

I can appreciate good ol' Damascus steel (well the modern version of it anyway) - swirly patterns are pretty and folding steel is mechanical too... I don't buy or collect those though - one hobby is enough :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Maybe this forum will go like the Facebook forums, pictures of a watch, a gun, a pen, a wallet (must have stacks of cash), a knife, some whisky, a ferrari steering wheel, the watch must be half immersed in a plate of food, all with some cleavage and a ladies buttox for good measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Maybe this forum will go like the Facebook forums, pictures of a watch, a gun, a pen, a wallet (must have stacks of cash), a knife, some whisky, a ferrari steering wheel, the watch must be half immersed in a plate of food, all with some cleavage and a ladies buttox for good measure.
    Can't forget the lawnmowers

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Aww man, i don't have a lawnmower, will planted borders and astroturf gain me any kudos?

Have lots of drugs too!
    Prescription of course, but selling some of them off could definitely gain me a cash pile to throw at a Tudor BB green.... ;)
    And a 5 yr sentence too on the downside :pac:

On a more serious and certainly watch related note.
    Some googling has shown me a method to pop a 2836-2 datewheel onto a movement, waiting on a loupe before I give it a try.
    Anyone any advice on their preferred method?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Anyone know of anywhere that is open that can remove links from a strap ? Think the jewellers are still shut (out my way anyways).

Anyone know of anywhere that is open that can remove links from a strap ? Think the jewellers are still shut (out my way anyways).

Watchfix is operating. You drop watch and they take at reception and do the work

If you can't find anywhere you can send the watch to me (if you trust me to not steal the watch! :pac:) and I can get it sorted for you. Ordering some tools to do it yourself is very easy too (is it pushpin or a screwed bracelet?)

Screws usually use a 1 or 1.2mm screwdriver - ebay will have cheap sets you can use. Push pins I recommend a cheap hammer and pin set - something like this will work fine:
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/16pcs-Watch-Repair-Tool-Kit-Band-Strap-Link-Remover-Back-Opener-Screwdriver-Set/113166123903?hash=item1a593a037f:g:OBwAAOSwZGRbV1ro

(you'd only need the hammer and pins set from that set but I couldn't find an Irish/UK seller that sold the hammer separately).

I wouldn't order from China right now as post can take ages (even back in the best of times) - so Irish/UK sellers might be your best bet.

Oh and if you bought the watch from a brick and mortar shop here quite often they are happy to adjust the links for you for free at the shop too.

Watchfix is operating. You drop watch and they take at reception and do the work
    Ah great...this the right crowd ? https://watchfix.ie/

Ah great...this the right crowd ? https://watchfix.ie/

Yes that's them

Yes that's them
    Thanks Mick....I'll ring them tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,745 ✭✭✭893bet

https://www.adverts.ie/20498290

Both bracelets worse than each other! And then linking an image to a 2.5 bracelet for sale! Lolled hard!

• Advertisement

Don't know if this was mentioned already on the forum but I see An Post are now offering 2 optional insurance options - up to €1500 for €4.40 and up to €2000 for 5.50 - only for local Irish post and using the registered but not next day delivery option.

Still - makes sending watches by post for Irish sales just a little easier (at least for majority of watches).

Fingers crossed - an Omega X-33 is about to go into space again:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIZsnKGV8TE

Live feed of SpaceX's launch of two astronauts to the ISS. Bob is wearing an Omega X-33 (seen quite clearly on left arm).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Excellent, I'd forgotten the launch was today after the abort on Wednesday.

Launch time for those interested is 20:20 or there abouts.

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Fingers crossed - an Omega X-33 is about to go into space again:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIZsnKGV8TE

Live feed of SpaceX's launch of two astronauts to the ISS. Bob is wearing an Omega X-33 (seen quite clearly on left arm).

Really don't get this 'watches in space' thing. To me it's product placement, like in the movies, just another revenue stream.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,790 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Really don't get this 'watches in space' thing. To me it's product placement, like in the movies, just another revenue stream.

There's a bit more to it than that. Read up on the watch selection by NASA in the early 60s.

unkel wrote: »
    There's a bit more to it than that. Read up on the watch selection by NASA in the early 60s.

Yeah one of the criteria I believe was that it be American.

This isn't the '60s but still they are promoting luxury watches when if they really need a watch, which I doubt, they could just go down to the local Walmart and buy a Casio/G-Shock, put an extra long NATO on and Bob's your uncle.

This isn't the '60s but still they are promoting luxury watches when if they really need a watch, which I doubt, they could just go down to the local Walmart and buy a Casio/G-Shock, put an extra long NATO on and Bob's your uncle.
    G-Shocks were very common in the shuttle era. Several models were on the NASA certified list.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Omega and space is the most tiresome shít in the watch industry. Following just behind is Omega and James Bond.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

No doubt in the early days of space exploration there were obstacles to overcome with mechanical watches and zero/low gravity etc. but the reality is you could take a Daniel Wellington to space now and it would probably work grand. The same couldn't be said if you took a Daniel Wellington to 1000 metres under sea. Watches aren't really needed for anything anymore so it's all just marketing BS. The days of watch companies racing to bring genuine tool based solutions are over so brands have to cling to what heritage they have; and Omega has space. You can't really blame them. Most people here are probably too young to really appreciate how much the moon landing captivated the whole world and the fact that the Moonwatch is such an icon is testament to that. I actually don't really like it that much but it's still a legitimate icon.

• Advertisement

Breitling Navitimer/Rolex Daytona etc. etc.

Though not sure if you could take a DW out on a spacewalk - would need some electromagnetic protection I think (why only the closed caseback Speedmasters are certified with the extra anti-magnetic protection).

The Speedmaster/Seamaster has appeal to Westerners - no so much for the Asian market though where Constellation sells best.

Advertisement