Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

Yes when I got my seamaster i had to go into Chrono and release the funds to seller once i was happy with watch condition etc

They released the funds on my watch as soon as the courier marked as delivered so in theory they could have posted me a turnip and gotten my money.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭micks_address

redlead wrote: »
    They released the funds on my watch as soon as the courier marked as delivered so in theory they could have posted me a turnip and gotten my money.

Yeah I've seen people say that but I had to go in and click a button to release funds..maybe they changed policy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

antodeco wrote: »
    I've had bad luck with post the last 2 months! Alot have gone missing or massively delayed. I'll look into the max insurance cover for packages with the various companies. Thanks!

Yep, normal post isn't great at the moment - but I had 2 packages sent by DHL from Singapore and it was about 5 days door to door. Took less time than a watch from the UK by the Royal Mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Had two Starlights flown from Guangzhou to me via DHL, left Monday afternoon in Guangzhou and in my hands this morning so around 96 hours in total - to be fair though they used the fastest shipping method with DHL I think as they understand that my original timeline has been delayed quite a bit now.

Now it is time for more glamour shots of the production version (especially now that the salmon leather strap is here too) and then onwards to the US and UK for reviews next week :D

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

I'm still waiting on one of mine from Australia received by the postal service March 31st. Kinda a strange situation because I can file a PayPal dispute and get my money back. I also paid extra for insurance, thing is the watch will eventually turn up so I could be screwing the seller. How much time is too much time.

V9S6c6X.jpg

Also waiting on a shipment from the UK, frame for my glasses. No Specsavers over here so I found an identical frame on eBay, been two weeks so far on that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Real vs Imitation

Screenshot-20200522-073724-01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 64,901 ✭✭✭✭unkel

HDMI wrote: »
    I'm still waiting on one of mine from Australia received by the postal service March 31st. Kinda a strange situation because I can file a PayPal dispute and get my money back. I also paid extra for insurance, thing is the watch will eventually turn up so I could be screwing the seller. How much time is too much time.

I'm like that for a lot of stuff from China too. I guess the right thing to do is wait another while? The problem is very likely right here in Ireland where I've heard An Post has just completely ignored pretty much anything freepost from China. I also heard they hired extra staff very recently to clear this back log. Neither might be true though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

unkel wrote: »
    I'm like that for a lot of stuff from China too. I guess the right thing to do is wait another while? The problem is very likely right here in Ireland where I've heard An Post has just completely ignored pretty much anything freepost from China. I also heard they hired extra staff very recently to clear this back log. Neither might be true though :(

Monday just gone was the busiest day in their history for Parcels.

(I don't work for them btw).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

The delays have been with the packages getting to Ireland in my experience so far. Swapped a watch with someone in the UK, and my incoming one was stuck over there for way longer than it took for my old one to get to him.

Eoin wrote: »
    The delays have been with the packages getting to Ireland in my experience so far. Swapped a watch with someone in the UK, and my incoming one was stuck over there for way longer than it took for my old one to get to him.

Yeah I'm not talking about slight delays in Irish post or stuff coming from the UK etc. It's stuff from China that according to the (usually reliable) tracking info has been sitting in Ireland since early to mid April. It's shameful that An Post has just dumped this stuff (if true) and not even communicated this problem on their end

• Advertisement

Yeah I'm not talking about slight delays in Irish post or stuff coming from the UK etc. It's stuff from China that according to the (usually reliable) tracking info has been sitting in Ireland since early to mid April. It's shameful that An Post has just dumped this stuff (if true) and not even communicated this problem on their end

Check out this tracking history for an item I have coming from the US (USPS):

May 17, 2020, 5:41 am
    Processed Through Regional Facility
    CHICAGO IL INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    Your item was processed through our CHICAGO IL INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER facility on May 17, 2020 at 5:41 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination.
    May 6, 2020, 8:51 am
    Departed
    LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM
    May 5, 2020, 7:08 pm
    Departed
    CHICAGO, UNITED STATES
    May 3, 2020, 10:30 pm
    Arrived
    CHICAGO, UNITED STATES
    May 1, 2020, 12:12 pm
    Processed Through Regional Facility
    April 30, 2020, 5:23 am
    Departed USPS Regional Facility
    April 30, 2020, 5:23 am
    Arrived at Regional Facility
    April 4, 2020, 12:57 pm
    Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
    April 4, 2020, 3:58 am
    Departed USPS Regional Facility
    LEXINGTON KY DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    April 3, 2020, 8:02 pm
    Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility
    LEXINGTON KY DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    April 3, 2020, 3:15 pm
    USPS in possession of item
    LEXINGTON, KY 40505

I didn't know that London was on the route from Chicago airport to another part of its distribution centre :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,731 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

folks i am 40 this year and thinking of something new to mark it.

i may end up selling something and funding something more expensive or keeping what i have and adding one more.

for reference i have at the moment a IWC Portuguese chrono (white dial blue hands), Rolex GMT2 C Black, Rolex Sub LV (Hulk) and a Rolex DJ41 blue dial (fluted bezel).

thing i have been thinking of:

BP 50 fathoms
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Ftimeandtidewatches.com%2Fblancpain-fifty-fathoms-watch-journey%2F&psig=AOvVaw1YKtCqSamCAZeRqDZ_xmN_&ust=1590226950058000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CA0QjhxqFwoTCOj-zZSXx-kCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAH

or a Panerai 01441
    https://www.panerai.com/ie/en/collections/watch-collection/luminor/pam01441-luminor-gmt---44mm.html

what ye reckon?

or sell a rolex and get a VC overseas

either the older chrono 49150

https://www.watchcollectinglifestyle.com/home/insider-vacheron-constantin-overseas-chronograph-ref-49150-a-classic-that-needs-no-introduction

or the new 3 hander

https://www.vacheron-constantin.com/en/watches/overseas/overseas-self-winding-4500v-110a-b128.html

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

HDMI wrote: »

Also waiting on a shipment from the UK, frame for my glasses. No Specsavers over here so I found an identical frame on eBay, been two weeks so far on that one.

I'm still waiting 7 or 8 weeks (lost count) for something from USA. I think we'll have a vaccine quicker.:p

There must be a massive backlog of parcels beside every airport at this stage. I'm trying to put off checking the postbox for as long as possible to prolong the anticipation:rolleyes:. If it's not there today, I'll have to wait until Monday.

Not really fair to be claiming on the insurance either, it's not the seller's fault.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭micks_address

The last VC or the 50 Fathoms would get my vote
    Cyrus wrote: »

i may end up selling something and funding something more expensive or keeping what i have and adding one more.

for reference i have at the moment a IWC Portuguese chrono (white dial blue hands), Rolex GMT2 C Black, Rolex Sub LV (Hulk) and a Rolex DJ41 blue dial (fluted bezel).

BP 50 fathoms
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Ftimeandtidewatches.com%2Fblancpain-fifty-fathoms-watch-journey%2F&psig=AOvVaw1YKtCqSamCAZeRqDZ_xmN_&ust=1590226950058000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CA0QjhxqFwoTCOj-zZSXx-kCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAH

or a Panerai 01441
    https://www.panerai.com/ie/en/collections/watch-collection/luminor/pam01441-luminor-gmt---44mm.html

what ye reckon?

https://www.watchcollectinglifestyle.com/home/insider-vacheron-constantin-overseas-chronograph-ref-49150-a-classic-that-needs-no-introduction

or the new 3 hander

https://www.vacheron-constantin.com/en/watches/overseas/overseas-self-winding-4500v-110a-b128.html

BP FF is a large watch right? I heard they released a bathyscape smaller version too (which I'd look at if I was looking at BP) - but then again, the FF is the FF :D

The thing with VC overseas (and just because I just saw a watchfinder video about it) is that resale value plummets on the Overseas compared to the Nautilus/Royal Oak - so maybe you could keep the Rolex and find a minty 2nd hand VC 3 hander? I do understand why you might prefer new for a big birthday though :)

Pre-emptive congrats on the big 4 0 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,768 ✭✭✭893bet

BP 50 fathoms

or a Panerai 01441

what ye reckon?

or the new 3 hander

My preference would be the second generation VC. Not a huge fan of the new version.

Any interest in the first generation? 42040?

Thirdfox wrote: »
    BP FF is a large watch right? I heard they released a bathyscape smaller version too (which I'd look at if I was looking at BP) - but then again, the FF is the FF :D

The thing with VC overseas (and just because I just saw a watchfinder video about it) is that resale value plummets on the Overseas compared to the Nautilus/Royal Oak - so maybe you could keep the Rolex and find a minty 2nd hand VC 3 hander? I do understand why you might prefer new for a big birthday though :)

Pre-emptive congrats on the big 4 0 :D

well it means the VC is available at slightly under the pretty high retail v a massive premium for the other two :D

The BP is big but wears smaller than size suggests due to curved lugs and the lugs are relatively short as well.

dont really mind on new and thanks!

893bet wrote: »
    My preference would be the second generation VC. Not a huge fan of the new version.

Any interest in the first generation? 42040?

nah too small for me unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

The older VC Chrono gets my vote (what a dial), but what would you get rid for it? How about a AP Royal Oak chrono and sell the hulk?

You have at the moment. Casual Chrono on strap, dress watch on bracelet, Two casual stainless on bracelet. Seems to me a chrono on bracelet is the gap and either the GMT 2 or the sub out. My 2c.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,514 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The older VC with the blue dial and ultra flat AR.
    It's almost as if there's no crystal at all and the dial is stunning IMO.

The BP FF, if I still scuba'd I'd be on it in a heartbeat but on balance it's the VC for me I reckon.

• Advertisement

They do wear bigger than their size suggests.

I think the new one at 41mm wears massive!

and sell the hulk?

Unless you're keeping it forever, now is probably a good time to sell, when they are still grossly overpriced.

Unless you're keeping it forever, now is probably a good time to sell, when they are still grossly overpriced.

i dont think right now is a good time to sell anything being honest, and i like it a lot so i dont think the hulk would go, GMT probably more likely

The older VC Chrono gets my vote (what a dial), but what would you get rid for it? How about a AP Royal Oak chrono and sell the hulk?

You have at the moment. Casual Chrono on strap, dress watch on bracelet, Two casual stainless on bracelet. Seems to me a chrono on bracelet is the gap and either the GMT 2 or the sub out. My 2c.

i had a deal done on the vc chrono freshly serviced with the gmt2 going in the other direction with watchfinder, deposit was down but someone else had also made a deposit 5 min before me so i missed out :(

Missed the boat on the sale of the hulk. WF may give a favourable trade in on an in demand rolex against a relatively not in demand VC. They don’t have too many 2nd generation VCs in general real though. I keep an eye on them as it’s on my list.

893bet wrote: »
    Missed the boat on the sale of the hulk. WF may give a favourable trade in on an in demand rolex against a relatively not in demand VC. They don’t have too many 2nd generation VCs in general real though. I keep an eye on them as it’s on my list.

id say the trades will be worse now as they arent buying in rolex at the moment at the levels they were. but who knows. depends on what kind of demand they have on the VCs, they do seem to sell them ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

id say the trades will be worse now as they arent buying in rolex at the moment at the levels they were. but who knows. depends on what kind of demand they have on the VCs, they do seem to sell them ok.

I have just done a deal with Watchfinder a popular tudor against a seriously unpopular watch. They gave a good price on both, and seemed happy to do a deal (this has not been my experiance of them in the past). Some of those VC chronos are gorgeous

I have just done a deal with Watchfinder a popular tudor against a seriously unpopular watch. They gave a good price on both, and seemed happy to do a deal (this has not been my experiance of them in the past). Some of those VC chronos are gorgeous

ive always done ok with them to be fair but i have done 10 or more deals so i suppose at least they know im serious about it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

That's an impressive collection. I'd sell one of either the Hulk or GMT II and get the VC. You have plenty of big hitters already so you are always going to have that high horology itch. The fact that you are thinking about it now means you'll want one. I love the 50 fathoms but do you really want to add another diver style watch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Darwin

I see Hodinkee have featured a piece on Weirs:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/weir-and-sons-in-dublin-ireland-and-edmund-t-ahee-jewelers-in-grosse-pointe-mi

I've never even considered buying a watch from a retailer in Ireland, straight to the UK or further afield everytime. Maybe I'm missing out on something?

Advertisement