Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

unkel wrote: »
    Bit of a shopping sprea these last few days. I have a Poljot alarm watch coming in. Possibly a birth year watch. And a beater's beater: a well worn Seiko 5 pepsi diver auto, on a shark mesh, bought for peanuts. Bring on that post man! :D

I have a Poljot alarm wristwatch too - wore it in the office once and the alarm went off - my colleague asked "...is there a bee in your wristwatch?" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭dinorebel

So have an Orient Kamasu Blue Dial and want to get a silicon strap was looking at Blue/Blue Black but am leaning towards a Black strap think it works really well on a couple of Blue Dial watches (Tissot Seastar & Oris Aqis) thoughts?

also are Barton a decent brand?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Barton Elite Silicone straps are very comfortable. Quick release spring bars are a big plus too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

hitemfrank wrote: »
    Barton Elite Silicone straps are very comfortable. Quick release spring bars are a big plus too.

I just have a crap Chinese one on my vostok which I don't trust for when I get back swimming because it's popped off the springbars a couple of times when I've stretched my hand back. Ordered a Barton elite there to replace it so if my Vostok ends up at the bottom of the Atlantic, in the words of Liam Neeson, "I will look for you, I will find you, and I will...." :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭banie01

dinorebel wrote: »

also are Barton a decent brand?

hitemfrank wrote: »

I'd agree with Frank, Barton do some lovely and comfortable straps.

• Advertisement

redlead wrote: »
    I just have a crap Chinese one on my vostok which I don't trust for when I get back swimming because it's popped off the springbars a couple of times when I've stretched my hand back. Ordered a Barton elite there to replace it so if my Vostok ends up at the bottom of the Atlantic, in the words of Liam Neeson, "I will look for you, I will find you, and I will...." :-P

I'm perfectly safe so :)

One good thing I really like about the elite silicone straps is that it comes with both a short and long end. Great for me with small wrists. Also the strap end locks into the keeper on the clasp side which is nice and stops the keeper from floating around.

Actually on Barton straps, I've got a 22mm one if anyone wants it. Black with orange backing.

IMG-20200607-145514.jpg

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Speaking of straps, is it possible to swap an oysterflex with a normal bracelet? Seeing different things online. Overall consensus is no, but apparently a few people managed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

antodeco wrote: »
    Speaking of straps, is it possible to swap an oysterflex with a normal bracelet? Seeing different things online. Overall consensus is no, but apparently a few people managed it.

The short answer is no, Rolex love to slightly alter the lugs so you cannot interchange bracelet...they are pricks like that. You end up having to modify a bracelet (in itself a very expensive item) to fit.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

The short answer is no, Rolex love to slightly alter the lugs so you cannot interchange bracelet...they are pricks like that. You end up having to modify a bracelet (in itself a very expensive item) to fit.

Thanks for that. Answers both part of my questions. I'm not a fan of oysterflex hence my preference for the bracelet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,745 ✭✭✭893bet

Did I read some where an post have insurance upto 2k now?

My post I believe - within Ireland can get optional insurance up to 2.5k (or 1.5k) I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Bit of a shopping sprea these last few days. I have a Poljot alarm watch coming in. Possibly a birth year watch. And a beater's beater: a well worn Seiko 5 pepsi diver auto, on a shark mesh, bought for peanuts. Bring on that post man! :D

Nice,those Poljot alarm watches could wake the dead! :D

I am starting to fall prey to scanning auction sites,since last year i have started looking through Yahoo Auctions Japan (Buyee.jp) and have had some close calls.Started harmlessly enough see could i spot interesting models ,some incredible pieces not seen outside Japan,as since i wasn't planning to start a collection,it is another way to enjoy this hobby....or so i taught.

Found a couple of Business Bells (4006-7010) that were introduced in late 1967 for a very limited time,here is a fantastic post about one of the rarest [Link]

hFhBZPB.jpg

Also found out about another very interesting and lovely Seiko,6119-6050 a "Regatta Timer" used in yacht racing.

3IYxSa3.jpg

Would absolutely love one,cool railroad bracelet,love the colors.Not cheap,usually go around €500+,one with tags recently sold €747 [Link].Here is a great post on the history of them on The Watch Site [Link].Also Spencer Klein made a video about the 6119-6053 which is the later model

The latest close call on Yahoo was on Tuesday gone,a Bell-Matic 4006-7000 from November 1966 [Link],second month of production after they were introduced in November 1966.The month before had the Holy Grail "Dolphin Caseback" which changed to the Horseshoe in December 1966 (Correction to my post in "Watch Arses" Thread where i said 1967)

l4nPQyK.jpg

0oNFO44.jpg

"6D"- December 1966

va93YHg.jpg

"6N" - Novemebr 1966,one month only with the Dolphin caseback.

Early dial with"Diashock" on it only seen for a couple of months.Not sure what i was thinking even considering bidding on this as the condition is really bad,even the red marker for the alarm has worn off,it did not even have a crown!

VppVFpe.jpg

In the picture you can see another early feature where the button for the alarm has a notch in the case,instead of the cut out later on.Another thing i believe these early models had was a longer alarm spring allowing it to last longer.Getting completely carried away thinking i could save it and Richard Askham would have no trouble fixing it up and parts would be easy to get,forgetting what horrors lie underneath and knowing me i would spend another fortune tracking down the correct bracelet.Also the hidden fees and Yahoo Auctions has this annoying feature "Automatic Extension" increasing the time when new bids come in so i couldn't just do what i had done with mine and wait till the last seconds to bid.

Eventually came to my senses not placing a bid thinking i was the wrong person for it as something like this deserves to go to a proper enthusiast who has the means to save it and knows all about it,someone like John Bentley.

Here is a list of the rarest Bell-Matics:
    1. 1966 4006-7000 "Diashock" w/dolphin caseback
    2. 1967 4006-7000 7030T "Business Bell"
    3. 1967 4006-7019 21J US export model
    4. 1967 4006-7000 "Diashock"
    5. 1968 4006-7029 21J US export model
    6. 1967 4006-7010 7040T "Business Bell"
    7. 1968/69 4005-7000 "Date Only"

Seems to be a couple of the rare models popping up lately,here is another i never seen for sale

yh0RFAz.jpg

A 4006-7029 from March 1968 the rare 21 Jewel model, a step closer to 17 Jewels down from 27 Jewels due to the increased tax of watches over 17 Jewels,[Link].Really cool but $1650 is too much for me.Also speaking for watches for sale,found this [Link].......think he might be dreamning ;),the aftermarket flat link bracelet fitted i believe is incorrect even though the description says it would of been correct as the 27 Jewel model would of been fitted with the H-link like mine.

Sorry for excessive post (and more Bell-Matic stuff :o),wanted to post over the weekend but could not log in.

Apologize in advance for another post relating to Bell-Matics,had wanted to post this in the past, but was unable to find the picture.

While doing research on my Bell-Matic,one of the many forum posts i looked through was "Famous Seiko Wearers" on Watchuseek [Link].Really cool Thread,some interesting people mentioned wearing Seiko. One of my favorites is Ponch from Chips 1977 wearing a Seiko 6309

05eClI7.jpg

Also Mick Jagger wearing a 6309

bk0HrIG.jpg

Going through the Thread,found mention of a Bell-Matic that was worn by former
    Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon [Link],unfortunately the picture is broken.Had searched through many pictures of him to see if i could find a picture of him wearing it.

Finally found the picture

VtLz1X4.jpg

Taken June 1977,Ariel Sharon on the right with Prime Minister Menachem Begin on the left.I believe he is wearing a 4006-6027 Bell-Matic going by the flat link bracelet and it was the more common model sold outside Japan.

cgJDJsW.jpg

Interesting as while looking through Ebay in the past (Very dangerous habit to get into :pac: ) found loads of vintage Seiko/Bell-Matic parts/watches along with other nice vintage pieces from Israel.

Ariel Sharon was a general in the Israeli Army,later went into politics and Prime Minister from 2001-2006.He died in 2014.Here is a Wikipedia page for more information on his background [Link]

Looks like he was into watches,another picture later in life showing wearing a Breitling Aerospace

f1Pc23I.jpg

I really, really need to get a grip on the fact that I'm actually an invalid pensioner/student and not a wealthy man about town with a rake of disposable income :pac:

My wanting an Arnie, has morphed into bidding on an Arnie...
    So if I stop posting all of a sudden, my wife has found the Swiss account and secret watch box ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

banie01 wrote: »
    I really, really need to get a grip on the fact that I'm actually an invalid pensioner/student and not a wealthy man about town with a rake of disposable income :pac:

It's really not a healthy hobby. Yes, we look on watches as pieces of art and get genuine enjoyment out of minute details, but ultimately we are obsessing over material items, and not cheap ones! As soon as you get one, all you are thinking about is the next one. Is it actually possible be satisfied with an existing collection? Probably not. You can try to convince yourself that it is an investment, or movement of an asset from cash to a watch etc but really it isn't. Maybe Rolex is at a push to be fair but you still have insurance, service costs, risk of your arm being chopped off etc.

There is an argument there that if you are satisfied with sh1tters, then buy away and just look on it as an acceptable amount of money spent on the hobby and not as an investment p1ssed down the drain. Sh1tters aren't really my thing sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,790 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Was in Weir's today, went onto the waiting list for a non-date sub. They had no Rolex of interest in the shop, but tried on a blue 36mm (DJ) for size and indeed it was way too small. Also noted on my form that if they get in a YM40 or Z-Blue Milgauss, that I can come in to have a try of it. Not much hope of any of that happening any time soon though :D

Walked past Dawson's too, but they were still closed.

Was in Weir's today, went onto the waiting list for a non-date sub. They had no Rolex of interest in the shop, but tried on a blue 36mm (DJ) for size and indeed it was way too small. Also noted on my form that if they get in a YM40 or Z-Blue Milgauss, that I can come in to have a try of it. Not much hope of any of that happening any time soon though :D

Did they give you any idea of time?

12-18 months

I bet that's just a standard answer they give anyone (who doesn't have a special relationship with the dealer) asking for any Rolex though? I'd be surprised if it will take that long.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Did they give you any idea of time?
    Found this far too funny :pac:

• Advertisement

Hope they come through inside the usual time for you.
    I do think that there will be some people ahead of you that pass the opportunity over the next few months.

I'm seriously considering a stop off in Harrods on the next trip to London and sticking my name down for a Tudor.

It's been niggling at me since I saw FG's one a while back and I tried on a mates BlackBay Red last month and it is a lovely piece.

I've heard the wait list for the Green with Harrods is @3months.
    Thing is I don't know if I'd have the cash available, or if I'd just buy and try and flip in the hope of a profit (or at least use that as the excuse when the Mrs flips :pac: )

Hope they come through inside the usual time for you.
    I do think that there will be some people ahead of you that pass the opportunity over the next few months.

I'd say that's quite likely - but maybe this is wishful thinking!
    I'd just buy and try and flip in the hope of a profit (or at least use that as the excuse when the Mrs flips :pac: )

It's a great excuse, isn't it? I have form flipping stuff like cars, bikes, watches, computers, electronics, etc. so I can buy pretty much anything I want using this excuse :D

12-18 months

I bet that's just a standard answer they give anyone (who doesn't have a special relationship with the dealer) asking for any Rolex though? I'd be surprised if it will take that long.

Well thats ok, Hopefully it will be the new model, if rumours are true should be the best yet.

banie01 - the harods is dubious. I like the watch, but its not a limited edition, they are loads around. I cannot see it appreciating much unless you go for the quick flip. A lot were bought to be flipped and this watch will be the first out of the safe in a recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,745 ✭✭✭893bet

Well thats ok, Hopefully it will be the new model, if rumours are true should be the best yet.

You can forget about getting one if it’s the “new model” based on previous new releases. Demand goes mental if history continues.

banie01 - the harods is dubious. I like the watch, but its not a limited edition, they are loads around. I cannot see it appreciating much unless you go for the quick flip. A lot were bought to be flipped and this watch will be the first out of the safe in a recession.

Thanks for that FG, my only real worry on it is the bracelet comfort.
    Can't really afford it until next year anyway ;)
    Might even pick up one for less than RRP at that stage.

On the topic of other things I can't afford.
    Just bought an Arnie prospex SNJ025 ;)

Linky? How much?

All that talk about the Arnie would nearly make me fancy one :p

Last time I had a watch with a digital display was sometime in the 80s I think :D

Linky? How much?

All that talk about the Arnie would nearly make me fancy one :p

Last time I had a watch with a digital display was sometime in the 80s I think :D

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/fs-seiko-prospex-snj025p1-arnie-5189029.html#/topics/5189029

Did the deal at 350 delivered.
    I now own 2 ana-digis :)
    Citizen Promaster and the Arnie.

I really do need to sell the Seiko chrono I bought off Mick now tho :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭micks_address

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/fs-seiko-prospex-snj025p1-arnie-5189029.html#/topics/5189029

Wow that's a class Seiko

Cool watch,watched a review on it comparing it to the original

tGw8c49.jpg

Definitely think this time around I would prefer the reissue rather then the original, the dial and hands being bigger are a much better fit giving it that beefy feel :cool:

robc19T.jpg

• Advertisement

It's funny - I've never even seen the film and I still know "get to da chopppppa!"

Advertisement