Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Darwin wrote: »
    I see Hodinkee have featured a piece on Weirs:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/weir-and-sons-in-dublin-ireland-and-edmund-t-ahee-jewelers-in-grosse-pointe-mi

I've never even considered buying a watch from a retailer in Ireland, straight to the UK or further afield everytime. Maybe I'm missing out on something?

Those pieces read like ad copy. I’m assuming Hodinkee aren’t doing it out off the goodness of their heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

Yes definitely a "sponsored" piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,478 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Those pieces read like ad copy. I’m assuming Hodinkee aren’t doing it out off the goodness of their heart.

I'd bet a nut that the pieces are paid advertorial rather than "journalism".

I must say tho, particularly how I much I dislike McGregor's association with the Weir Patel,...
    That fluff piece has made me reconsider my opinion of that particular watch.
    The green is still just too bright for me tho, not that I could ever afford one ;)
    But I'm sure Weir's will take my thoughts on board :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

Darwin wrote: »
    I

I've never even considered buying a watch from a retailer in Ireland, straight to the UK or further afield everytime.

Why is that out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

redlead wrote: »
    Why is that out of interest?
    I'd guess price and availability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

Pretty much this. Building PCs is bit of a hobby for me too for a long time, so buying computer hardware kit from abroad was pretty much a necessity if you wanted value and choice. When I developed an interest in watches I didn’t think any differently I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I follow a sketch artist called Maltz Creative on Instagram. He always has lovely watches on his page along with another interest of mine, fountain pens. Saw this brand today, beautiful watches in my mind.

https://en.leaunoir.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

I follow a sketch artist called Maltz Creative on Instagram. He always has lovely watches on his page along with another interest of mine, fountain pens. Saw this brand today, beautiful watches in my mind.

I like the 'Old Black' version. I would like to know the lug to lug length but at 38mm case I may be okay.

I wonder what the plan for swapping out straps is.

along with another interest of mine, fountain pens. Saw this brand today,

Do you find that's the type of thing you find you need to go out of your way to use these days? I love a beautiful pen but know nothing about them. Throw up a couple of pics.

It's like me with a Swiss army knife, I love an excuse to use one even though they are rarely needed. The mini tweezers came to the rescue the other day when I had to surgically remove a raisin my son decided to shove up his nose. Made my day :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

I have Caran D'Ache pens that I use all the time - fountain pens no longer that much so I got some nicely constructed ballpoint and rollerballs:

Here's a solid silver ecridor ballpoint (the weight is lovely to twirl around on the fingers):
    891_287.jpg

And the latest one I got was a varius ivanhoe (which a lovely engraved message from MsThirdfox on the cap):
    h_stylo-roller-varius-ivanhoe-argente-rhodie-p-un-habit-chevaleresque-empreint-d-originalite-p-caran-d-ache-detail2-0.jpg

None were purchased at rrp thankfully but all were NIB - I guess I see the point of buying new for some things at least :D

• Advertisement

Do you find that's the type of thing you find you need to go out of your way to use these days? I love a beautiful pen but know nothing about them. Throw up a couple of pics.

It's like me with a Swiss army knife, I love an excuse to use one even though they are rarely needed. The mini tweezers came to the rescue the other day when I had to surgically remove a raisin my son decided to shove up his nose. Made my day :-)

I have a Mont Blanc Meisterstuck that I use daily. I also have a Lamy Safari which I'm not a fan off, a Parker I have had for about 15 years and a Manuscript which is as cheap as they get but i love the feel of. I picked up a helix oxford one day as it was on a bargain bin for about €2.50 it is a lovely smooth pen. I dropped the manuscript in work and it fell nib first so I'll have to get another one soon.
    I would like to pick up a pelikan next, anything with a broad nib really and I'm interested.

Thirdfox wrote: »
    I have Caran D'Ache pens that I use all the time - fountain pens no longer that much so I got some nicely constructed ballpoint and rollerballs:

Here's a solid silver ecridor ballpoint (the weight is lovely to twirl around on the fingers):
    891_287.jpg

And the latest one I got was a varius ivanhoe (which a lovely engraved message from MsThirdfox on the cap):
    h_stylo-roller-varius-ivanhoe-argente-rhodie-p-un-habit-chevaleresque-empreint-d-originalite-p-caran-d-ache-detail2-0.jpg

None were purchased at rrp thankfully but all were NIB - I guess I see the point of buying new for some things at least :D

Oh you baxtard... I get my bonus next month along with my birthday...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

I too write a lot and a good pen is a must.

My favourites are an old Cross in polished stainless that uses the gel roller ball cartridge; a 1990s Parker with about a 0.75mm nib on an ink cartridge and a 0.5mm nib Parker from what I think is the 70s. I found it in old box in a house I moved into once.

I soaked it in a light saline solution for a couple of days and then gave it a good clean and have been using it for years now.

Both the Parkers have gold plated nibs and they write so smoothly they are a joy to use.

A mate got a Mont Blanc fountain pen for a work anniversary and it is just beautiful to behold, let alone write with.

Oh you baxtard... I get my bonus next month along with my birthday...

The ecridor can be had pretty cheaply if it's just the rhodium plated brass version (it really depends on whether you like the hexagonal barrel or not) - and if you truly just want it as a utilitarian writing instrument a new plastic one only costs €15 I think. Ballpoints can't really compare to the rollerball though.

Pen Corner on College Green is great for refills and seeing their selection - I try to support the local pen shop if at all possible.

I got a gift of a Montblanc Starwalker Fineliner before too and while it was pretty to look at I just get a feeling MB lay it on with their "precious resin" i.e. plastic - advertising a bit too much. It is very pretty and writes very well but I'm a Caran D'Ache guy at heart:

Montblanc-Starwalker-Reuthenium-FL_Profile__46270.1522803113.jpg?c=2

For the same price as the starwalker fineliner in "black precious resin" you can get the solid silver ecridor. I think it's more the description of the resin that bugs me more than the design etc. Same when MsThirdfox was looking at some Chanel earrings (pretty yes) but also made in "precious resin" :confused: :pac: - so they were €120 for a pair of plastic earrings? Got a lovely pair of Tahitian black pearl earrings for €135 instead - I guess I just can't value plastic that highly no matter how precious it is :o

Oh btw - the Ivanhoe in stainless steel was purchased off adverts.ie for around €75 sealed in box - a massive discount off RRP so it doesn't need to break the bank to have a "luxury" pen - writes beautifully - my boss even commented on the pen once in the office when she had to sign some documents and said she loved the feel of the instrument.

I'd be worried about purchasing a MB pen even sealed in box on adverts because plastic is so much easier to fake than the intricate metalwork on the Caran D'Ache.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

I want to get a Pelikan at some point. Probably the midnight blue Souveran M805.

I'm having trouble justifying the expense though (while having justified the expense of a Milguass I want to get at some point :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

hitemfrank wrote: »
    I want to get a Pelikan at some point. Probably the midnight blue Souveran M805.

I'm having trouble justifying the expense though (while having justified the expense of a Milguass I want to get at some point :D)

You know there is a bargain milgauss on adverts at the moment? PM me about it, its nothing do do with me but I did get word for another forum regular about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,226 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Lads, can we stop talking about pens here.

I'm not spending half as much during the week as I'm working from home and now I'm thinking about buying pens! :D

Been buying lots of vinyl records and band merch and all that kind of stuff to give smaller bands and labels a bit of a boost at this time. Would be going to gigs at least once a week so paying that forward.

My MB 1480 and the cheaper than chips manuscript. My wife bought me the Mont Blanc for Christmas and I use it every day of the week in work. My seamaster thrown in just to keep on topic slightly. I love the whole pomp about it, from unscrewing the cap to the flow as you write. It always gets a mention in meetings.
    Men here wear a dishdasha, a full length gown with a seam/button up from the neck to the mid chest. It is totally plain and unassuming so men wear a pen in the seam as a statement of importance and peacockery. The more elaborate and ornate the pen the better so many have the MB star poking out of their dishdasha. An ornate or chunky watch is also a statement piece, Audemar Pigeut being a very popular choice as well as Breitling and of course a Rolex but I see Rolex on women here far more than men.

FP-collection.jpg

I wanted to change the nib to a broad one and was quoted about €400 so I politely declined.

[IMG][/img]MB.jpg

Here is my Seamaster in its intended location, a very warm Arabian Sea.

[IMG][/img]Watch-in-water.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

My MB 1480 and the cheaper than chips manuscript. My wife bought me the Mont Blanc for Christmas and I use it every day of the week in work. My seamaster thrown in just to keep on topic slightly. I love the whole pomp about it, from unscrewing the cap to the flow as you write. It always gets a mention in meetings.
    Men here wear a dishdasha, a full length gown with a seam/button up from the neck to the mid chest. It is totally plain and unassuming so men wear a pen in the seam as a statement of importance and peacockery. The more elaborate and ornate the pen the better so many have the MB star poking out of their dishdasha. An ornate or chunky watch is also a statement piece, Audemar Pigeut being a very popular choice as well as Breitling and of course a Rolex but I see Rolex on women here far more than men.

[[/url]

I wanted to change the nib to a broad one and was quoted about €400 so I politely declined.

[IMG][/img]Here is my Seamaster in its intended location, a very warm Arabian Sea.cheap to use it. Can’t remember what make the fountain pen is, have the original box and everything! Bought in an auction joblot for very small money. Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised to see the same pen selling on eBay for around the €100-150 mark.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭Ryath

Started looking at fountain pens again myself last time they were discussed but never got around to buying anything. Had a cheap Parker fountain when I was young and later found a very nice refillable Parker with a gold nib in my granny's that I was let have. Not sure how old it was but at least early 70's if not 60's Used it for a lot of secondary school. I did break the nib at one stage and could only afford to replace it with a basic one! No idea where it ended up I was given a cross ballpoint as a present at some stage and used that for my leaving and all the way through college.

Was just going to pick up a basic Parker and get the re-filler. Is there any other brands I should consider? There was an asian make mentioned last time but I can't find the post's. Don't want spend a fortune. The height of my writing these days is shopping lists and signing the odd form. I really should practice a bit more it was never the best to begin with and is really going to pot. :( I do like to have a nice pen around though that I know is mine and the rest of the family won't disappear it!

• Advertisement

Ryath wrote: »
    Started looking at fountain pens again myself last time they were discussed but never got around to buying anything. Had a cheap Parker fountain when I was young and later found a very nice refillable Parker with a gold nib in my granny's that I was let have. Not sure how old it was but at least early 70's if not 60's Used it for a lot of secondary school. I did break the nib at one stage and could only afford to replace it with a basic one! No idea where it ended up I was given a cross ballpoint as a present at some stage and used that for my leaving and all the way through college.

Was just going to pick up a basic Parker and get the re-filler. Is there any other brands I should consider? There was an asian make mentioned last time but I can't find the post's. Don't want spend a fortune. The height of my writing these days is shopping lists and signing the odd form. I really should practice a bit more it was never the best to begin with and is really going to pot. :( I do like to have a nice pen around though that I know is mine and the rest of the family won't disappear it!

You can't go wrong with a parker and there is one for every budget.

https://www.penheaven.co.uk/pen-brands/parker-pens/parker-fountain-pens?p=1&product_list_order=low_to_high

A Lamy safari is another good bet, I have one and it's not my favourite it but they are good value and good quality.

https://www.penheaven.co.uk/pen-brands/lamy-pens/lamy-fountain-pens?product_list_order=low_to_high

I think it is quite interesting, poster's interest in watches is also spilling over into nice pens. I notice many of the posters here are regulars in the motors forum too.

I have Montblanc glasses, can I join in?
    Or do I need a separate category?

I do have a gold cross somewhere that my stepdad won as a prize from the listowel writers fest back in the '80s...

So that is a semi-fancy pen? Yeah?
    Glasses, check!
    Pen, maybe!
    Dishdaq, I've ordered 1 as it's for more appropriate than Homer's mumu :pac:

banie01 wrote: »
    I have Montblanc glasses, can I join in?
    Or do I need a separate category?

I do have a gold cross somewhere that my stepdad won as a prize from the listowel writers fest back in the '80s...

So that is a semi-fancy pen? Yeah?
    Glasses, check!
    Pen, maybe!
    Dishdaq, I've ordered 1 as it's for more appropriate than Homer's mumu :pac:

Good man Banie! Always enjoy your posts! I'd love to wear one, they look seriously comfy! I'd get some quare looks around Aldi in Roxboro though!

Good man Banie! Always enjoy your posts! I'd love to wear one, they look seriously comfy! I'd get some quare looks around Aldi in Roxboro though!

Luckily I'm a Northside, so it'll be Lidl or Dunnes on the Ennis rd for me ;)

I actually must have a hunt for the pens now tho, he won quite a few of them back in the day and better to use them or give them to someone who will, rather than leave them in the attic.

I loved my Cross fountain pen too - wrote very well but my penmanship is awful (though as a lawyer that might be useful for evidentiary purposes :pac: - that's what I joke about my doctor friends too in terms of their notes).

Today since I do take pages of notes I found the rollerball better for quicker writing and not having a need to wait for ink to dry before moving on to the next page. And I definitely found that a better pen (not necessarily an expensive or ornate one) can lead to both a more pleasurable writing experience and just better writing form since the ink flows better across the page. Goliath pen refills from Ecridor is nice too since they have around 500 A4 pages of ink in each cartridge.

Thirdfox wrote: »
    I loved my Cross fountain pen too - wrote very well but my penmanship is awful (though as a lawyer that might be useful for evidentiary purposes :pac: - that's what I joke about my doctor friends too in terms of their notes).

Today since I do take pages of notes I found the rollerball better for quicker writing and not having a need to wait for ink to dry before moving on to the next page. And I definitely found that a better pen (not necessarily an expensive or ornate one) can lead to both a more pleasurable writing experience and just better writing form since the ink flows better across the page. Goliath pen refills from Ecridor is nice too since they have around 500 A4 pages of ink in each cartridge.

I'm a teacher by trade and I ordered a box of pilot disposable fountain pens for my 6th class students a few years ago. They were using predominantly those horrible blue bic pens with the 4 colours built in. Their handwriting improved hugely when moving from a roller ball to a fountain. IMO bic have single handedly ruined the worlds collective handwriting with invention of the ballpoint.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I'm a teacher by trade and I ordered a box of pilot disposable fountain pens for my 6th class students a few years ago. They were using predominantly those horrible blue bic pens with the 4 colours built in. Their handwriting improved hugely when moving from a roller ball to a fountain. IMO bic have single handedly ruined the worlds collective handwriting with invention of the ballpoint.

I have to agree, those 4 in 1 biros are terrible to write with. There is too much play at the nib end.

Managed to get a bit more coffee into myself and take a few pics.

514123.jpg

514124.jpg

Can anyone recommend an A4 sized page a day diary with really good quality paper. I'd like to start using the fountain pen on a daily basis.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Jesus lads, I'm going to have to buy a pen now. Some of the pics thrown up here look the business. I always struggled with fountain pens because even though I'm right handed, I position my hand like a lefty so end up smudging all the writing. Is there such a thing a quick drying ink that would solve that or is that just a completely stupid question and ball points are my lot?

Don't forget about pencil too... you have options in rollerball and gel if you don't want to use fountain ink or ballpoint.

Lots of options out there between a bic biro and a MB Meisterstuck fountain pen. More so even than watches I recommend going down to a store (shout out to pen corner again) - to try in person to see what you like and what kind of ink you prefer :)

• Advertisement

Jesus lads, I'm going to have to buy a pen now. Some of the pics thrown up here look the business. I always struggled with fountain pens because even though I'm right handed, I position my hand like a lefty so end up smudging all the writing. Is there such a thing a quick drying ink that would solve that or is that just a completely stupid question and ball points are my lot?

I got the diary shown in my picture in Easons when I was home at Christmas. Nice thick paper.

Advertisement