Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Cant wait for the Pagani Design x Swatch assume that will cause some sort of divide by zero rip in the spacetime continuum. Are swatch turning into a homage brand now?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭893bet

A 50 fathom collab

(water proof to 5 fathom)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Anybody else want a watch whose colour is inspired by a sea slug ?

Ive thought for a while that watch brands must be laughing at their customers for believing some of the far fetched stories they come out with but how did they keep a straight face in the boardroom meetings when deciding that a slug is the animal of choice for their colours

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Ian OB

Thay are rather colourful I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Folks, I have a Alpina Alpiner 4 that is stopping constantly and seems to have no power reserve, definitely has a fault, can anyone recommend a repair shop in Dublin to take it in to get it working again?

Warranty is out and there are no dealers in Ireland so need to take to someone that fixes all sorts of brands

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Can I ask was this prefaced by issues winding by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

I think the choice of a sea-slug colour for a pretentious project is very apt.

When I worked in Singapore, we always ordered sea-slugs at dinner when entertaining visiting VIPs who had foody pretentions. ‘You must try this local delicacy, it really is delicious with lemon.’ The idiot would squeeze lemon on the dead slug, an electrolytic reaction would take place and the thing would wriggle on the plate. (It also works on raw octopus and sea-cucumbers.) Lots of money made/lost on the bets made before the dinner, same situation for the ‘plastic classics’.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Morning, no there were no winding issues at all, I was actually not needing to wind it, as it is an auto so it simply went on as it should do... Until about two months ago when it was not running. I wound it, not excessively and then wore and since then it has not worked properly.

I think your watch runs an eta2824. Imo that's the best way to wear an eta2824, minimal wind and then wear. They can sometime give trouble with winding/auto works which can case other problems.

In terms of price point for your particular watch replacing the movement with a new eta2824 may be the best course of action. I did this recently and the movement cost 260 ish euro from a German seller on ebay.

If yours is a signed movement with finishing particular to the brand, or you prefer the notion of repair than replace (ie originality), then persue repair of the movement. Any decent watchmaker will be able.

If on the other hand there's a bog stock eta2824 in there I wouldn't hesitate in replacing with same and swapping the rotor (if signed) over.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

Evening am trying to find out some info on a Seiko kinetic.

On back of watch it says 5M42-OA1O and the serial no 767707

Would some one be able to help with finding out model and how ol?

It's seized so what options do I have?

Many thanks

Roy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭covey123

Perhaps a bit of a longshot to identify the actual watch I'm going to describe but no harm in asking !

I was at Electric Picnic at the weekend, sitting by the main stage and a guy walked past with a diver watch that really caught my eye.

To my sun squinting/ one or two drinks in me eyes I'd guess 42 mm, it had batton indices and the 12 marker had double marker bartons (like a number 11) and black rubber? strap.

Crystal was flat and possibly double AR as black dial was very clear.

Any suggestions as to what it could have been or possible contenders?

Did it have a bezel and describe the hands?

Dial like this?

Only got a fleeting glance at it so couldn't say about the hands.

Yes,it had a bezel.Indices looked larger than in that dial, also the "gap" between the indices at 12 o clock position was definite and more pronounced than that one.

Google dive watch image search, you'll find it eventually. Great when you see something that immediately tickles your fancy like that, find it and buy it! I had the insta-gra for one of the below

• Registered Users Posts: 33,177 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

You should have just stopped him and asked, he'd have been delighted someone noticed it.

I know, still,will keep me searching for it online!

I hope you find it, very curious now what it was!

Will keep looking , but might never find it 😅

Think I have definitely narrowed down what I like though,diver,big indices,more tooly rather than dressy

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Ian OB

Not sorry at all

• Registered Users Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭banie01

A very garish watch was lifted from a local business😉 man down my way.

A very bussed-down Audemars Piguet with an Arabic dial and far too many diamonds. There's a €50k reward for info leading to it's return

If someone lifted it? They are going to experience some very bad days in the near future. Not a person I'd want to be on the wrong side of, and certainly not for a watch that's too hot to ever move on.

Forgot to add a link 😉https://www.facebook.com/100001389149082/posts/6702942553095316/?mibextid=rS40aB7S9Ucbxw6v

• Advertisement

Banie yer bejazelled! All your planning and back flipping through lasers in a black cat suit has paid off handsomely Sir!

That's no shitter! Greasy Archie wart head will be in touch to induct you into his hi roller club where you enjoy such perks as providing him an all expenses paid trip to you for à la carte dining and massage from his favoured androgynous ladies.

Ps: what was the other thing ye nicked from this man....

was that the chap that was stabbed 17 times (and lived) back in 2003 during that infamous fued? Looks too young in the photo.

Since the name change does rolex no longer snif timex's arse?

That watch just proves money doesn't buy class. It's fugly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭banie01

• Registered Users Posts: 14,248 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

• Registered Users Posts: 19,866 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Not sure if it's a sign of the times or just a reflection on the popularity of the SD43 but I got a call from Weirs today saying they had one for me, unfortunately I have little patience so bought one about 6 months ago, safe to say I never expected them to call me about anything so that was a shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Definitely a sign of the times.Same number of watches if not more coming through to the AD and a massively reduced number of buyers .

No one’s going to get a Daytona or Pepsi on the first go but most other models seem realistic to get.And as I’ve posted before about weirs , the ad games are not there just don’t expect to get the most in demand watch without being a regular customer.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,932 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Sign of the times to be sure.

I was told the same in Keane's, since the huge spikes of the last two years dropped off there are a lot less people going on "the list" and then of the ones "getting the call" a lot are not taking the watches.

Less potential profit coupled with people back spending disposal income on cars and holidays etc.

• Advertisement

Both. When times were good every watch was in demand. People accepted watches they didn’t really want (OP, DJ, SD, Milgauss etc) creating false hype around even those watches.

With a dropping market then those feel the biggest demand drop. GMT and Daytona demand will stay strong no doubt but other models definitely seem more freely available (realities to previously).

Did you pay over list for the SD 6 months ago?

Advertisement