Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,243 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Thanks again - I ordered it last night, so will give it a go when it arrives. When I bought the Samurai, the previous owner had included a bezel and insert, so it's not the end of the world if the old one gets damaged. Genuine Seiko bezels can be hard to remove, but this one has been a whole new level of stubbornness.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭baron von something

Thanks for the advice. I'll check out the linked thread.

Being completely new to this, something to use as a learning experience to start off but I do have a couple of things in mind for the longer term. I'm looking to build up a collection of watch types, dress watch, pilot watch, diver etc. And I'm not quite sure where to start.

Thanks for the gear list.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,243 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

If you go to aliexpress and search for Seiko NH case, you will see a ton of options. The cases are generally OK, but I find the bracelets are often of quite iffy quality (so, just like a real Seiko), so I'd go for a case with standard lugs so you can change the strap/bracelet if needs be.

Most will take the standard 28.5mm dial (but double check), so you can really mix and match. Off the top of my head, the NH movement has a good few options - GMT, day, day & date, open-heart, skeleton. But I prefer the ST36 movement for a pilot watch as it has the small seconds dial at 6 or 9, and the case sizes will be a few mm bigger in general.

If you want to start simple, then get a case with the crystal already installed (inserting a crystal can be a PITA, and a decent press is hard to find for a good price in my experience), and get used to setting the hands (seconds hand is the worst), trimming the crown stem etc. When you get around to building a diver, you can choose nearly every part if you buy from somewhere like namoki mods - but it'll easily cost a few hundred quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

I have a question on Timex Automatic watches. If someone was to purchase one where would they get it serviced? or is the cost so low that you wouldnt really bother with servicing them?

I had the same thought for Seiko but assume there is plenty people around that would service a Seiko.

• Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 36 -F1-

Is IRISIMO a legit site?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,248 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Nah, you don't service a timex. Other brands just replace the movement as its cheaper than taking it apart, cleaning and rebuilding. Basically, from Tudor down you'll get a replaced movement. If it costs around €250 for your seiko movement replacement obviously you do the maths on whether it's worth keeping or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,053 ✭✭✭✭unkel

TZ-UK gone? 😯

Getting a 404 error, you all have the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Same for me since yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Looks to be back up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Right, I'm off to the bric-à-brac shop!

• Advertisement

That watch looks in incredible condition for the age. Far from an expert but those estimates seem very low?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,870 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

watch frenzy not completely dead just yet, weirs got a sd43 in for me but id already gotten on so had to pass but went in and asked them for a green dial fluted DJ41. Fast forward a couple of weeks and i saw one in the window, so in i went to press the flesh :D dealt with a different guy as the lady i usually deal with wasnt there, he was giving me the usual guff about how they like to see people coming in blah blah, long story short they had 2 in the exact config i wanted, he knew i was ready to buy, he said he would let the lady know i was in when she got back but i havent heard anything so i presume they have other buyers for them ahead of me!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,816 ✭✭✭893bet

Maybe/maybe not.

You are assuming he was competent enough to get the message to her (and maybe miss out on his commission).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,870 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

he made a big thing of typing it out in front of me in whatever CRM system he was in but who knows, im not that fussed, im sure they will get one soon enough as they obviously arent that scarce but i did expect a call this week to pick one up!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I’m not a Tudor expert, but what are the prices like? Bratislava btw.

L to R, 3050

pepsi 4320

7650 gold and SS chronograph

Ladies 2010, 2110 and 1950 on right.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Exactly this. We are talking about the most incompetent Rolex AD in the world here. I'm still waiting for that Omega bracelet link I personally went into their shop for 6 months ago, with the watch. They took pictures of the watch and the back and the bracelet, and I gave them the reference number and year. Followed up with a phone call too and whoever answered that hadn't a clue what I was talking about, no records of it there, but after I gave them the bracelet numbers, they said they would get back to me. That also never happened. Unprofessional shower.

And when I was in their new "boutique" recently, the lady got several details about Rolex watches wrong, reference numbers, even case sizes. Unbelievable stuff really.

I had planned on making my first luxury watch purchase at Weirs if i was to buy brand new, but this has put me right off them :(

The watches are still the watches. If you can buy a brand new Rolex sports watch from them, go for it 😁

I certainly wont be that high end. Tudor BB is what I have my eye on, think ive mentioned it before. I need to get in and try it on first. Unfortunately no one stocks them in Mayo/Galway area for me to try on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭scwazrh

If going for Tudor you should go to Sheerans boutique, can’t be beat for customer service in my experience

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Well it was a long time ago(tm) 90's IIRC when vintage watches were still a tiny niche and significantly cheaper(EG Rolex Milsubs were climbing but still to be had for 4-6k). His valuation for the watch minus the TE Lawrence connection was about right, if not a tad high for the time. Fast forward to 2021 after the watch collecting bug went wild and investors were in play and a similar Omega without the connection got 10k at auction. Not exactly Big Money when you consider people were paying that and more on top of RRP on the grey market for some new models at the time. He wildly underestimated the added connection value, but when it was sold at auction in (IIRC again) 2000 it had started to really pick up as a thing in auction circles anyway. If it had shown up in say 2015 I reckon it would have hit millions at the hammer rather than the 80,000 it did.

I've always had some issues with the watch itself. Not with the Lawrence connection itself as he clearly owned it. The serial no on the movement refers to a chronograph wristwatch ordered by and sold in France to an unspecified agent in 1915. However the caseback with the UK military issued broad arrow and A for army aviation serial no comes from a 1912 hunter non chrono pocketwatch sold to a UK dealer, which would make far more sense for a British issued piece. But why/how did it come to have a movement sold in France three years earlier? It's a bit of a mashup. All I can think of is when the UK military were making up some issued watches(tiny in number then, even tinier for chronographs), they bought in movements where they could from different sources and got some UK agent to ready up cases, dials, movements etc.

The dial might lend to this notion. If it's all original it doesn't make sense. The dial numerals are clearly made to take radium lume, however the solid blued hands are certainly not. When buying trench watches of the same era it's a sure and common sign the original and delicate, most likely to be lost, cathedral hands designed for radium have been changed later. An example of same from a current ebay auction;

Having Omega or any maker's name on the dial in the UK market is another oddity. The UK market(and her colonies) was a bit different and UK agents specifically requested blank dials to put the retailer's brand on. To the degree that in 1915 Longines proudly sent out a trade letter promising UK dealers they'd never put their name on the dials or movements for that market. This was seen as a major positive. It was Rolex, ironically a UK brand at the time ,that changed that by insisting their name appeared on dials and movements, just like branding in the rest of Europe. The US had been like that for years, though sometimes had a mix. EG retailers like Tiffany adding their branding. They're about the last still doing that very old practice.

So to me it looks like a chronograph sold in France in 1912, that was later bought in by a UK military agent, keeping its dial, but getting replacement hands and a case from stock. Likely from a pocketwatch because wristwatch sizes were smaller so a time only wristwatch case wouldn't fit.

They did similar with UK issued diver watches in WW2, the UK's 'Panerai' as it were. bought in movements from Longines and Omega of various ages, cased locally in essentially 19th century 'explorer' silver pocketwatch cases with wire lugs for a strap.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I've dealt with Weir as far back as the 80's and even then they didn't have a good rep. Seen more as a jewelry shop for visiting American tourists. In the interim my few experiences of them and the experiences of others I know never really changed that general opinion for me.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭scwazrh

They've come along way from that Wibbs. Now they’re a watch shop for Chinese tourists

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

Funnily enough, I got a call from Weirs yesterday offering my a new Yachtmaster. The last watch I bought in Weirs was Submariner back in about 2012. They must be going way down their list to get to me...

Blue steel 40mm 126622? They sell for around retail now (€12.4k) so nought to be gained there, no equity build up either

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

I didn't ask him any details, just thanks but no thanks. Coincidentally, five minutes later some video popped up on my laptop about all the Rolexes that can now be got for retail.

The YM was always under retail on the grey. Nothing interesting that these are now readily available at retail. I've been following it for years, what is interesting though is to see it has been going up in value more than other steel sport. But not surprising as it was always somewhat undervalued compared to the likes of a basic sub.

Now your above story would get exciting if you could get a no date sub for retail. And despite numerous people on here and elsewhere having been saying that would happen for years, there is absolutely no sign of it. Walk out the dealer with one and you could have several thousand profit in a day if you sold. I can't see that change much myself 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 16,570 ✭✭✭✭banie01

There is an imteresting conversation that started over on TZ recently that had a couple of dealers confirming the market for even Rollies is stagnating. I can't remember if it was a thread on Sales Corner there that went a bit OT or on a thread in watch talk. The dealers on the thread, Milton and another I cant recall were discussing a 5digit sub fullest that was sold for £5.5k. The consensus was that it was sold cheaply, but not by much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,816 ✭✭✭893bet

One here for less than 11k (9300 retail) and seller has to pay fees etc.

Not saying a sub at retail is a bad buy. Would snap one myself. But they days of multiple g profit are over for now. Pretend you have one and ring around a few dealers offering it and I be surprised if you get offered more than 1k on top.

Advertisement