Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,570 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The new laptop has arrived, delighted to confirm that it wasn't the boot drive on my old machine that was causing my issue. NVMe drive swapped over and booted without issue. The only immediate issue apparent on the "new" system is that due to hardware ID change my Office 2021 license has been nixed and I need to buy a new one.

An added plus, is that the new machine runs DDR5! So if anyone needs 2x 8gb DDR4 sodimms? Gimme a shout! On the VR front, this new machine scores very well on the SteamVR test! Even without resorting to the Nvidia card. I need to convince the Mrs not to job me for a few days now :P

That's an inductor and it's definitely blown. By any chance have you ever changed the RAM on that laptop?

Thanks, I have and I'm trying to remember if I ever had a short, crackle or fizzle. I know that there's an issue on that model with the RAM cover shorting it.

That said, I upgraded the RAM in Dec 2021 and it worked fine until Friday night so I'm at a loss as to what the trigger was.

It's a common issue, that exact inductor gets fried if you touch the RAM cover against it accidentally (while battery is present). It doesn't seem to be immediately terminal, most people report it keeps working. Presumably it causes issues eventually, it wouldn't be on the board if it wasn't needed.

I pledged £215 (£199+ shipping) for the Monro Adventure kickstarter this morning.

I think, when the pick a colour comes around? It will be the woodland black/green version. A cheap, cheerful but also interesting GMT IMO. The orange is a bit of an eyecatcher too 🤔

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,248 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I'd go orange with black strap. But not a fan of natos. Maybe the orange/orange is too orange.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Aye for me the orange is just a bit too Trump. Green/black for me.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,932 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

That's an interesting one, would be blue or orange for me I'd say.

Looks like it's designed for the nato. I actually don't mind them except some watches stick out miles on them

If I went with the Orange that'd be the way I'd wear it too.

Yeah it's got fixed lugs for NATO/Zulu style straps only.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,932 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I assume we would get stung with import taxes from the UK on that too?..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,243 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Have you tried putting it on like this? It actually works quite well to make the watch sit flatter on the wrist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46dX_XevVgQ

Never mind the GMT function, I was travelling for a while and the day function was great.

Obviously a phone can make it all redundant but easy to lose track of the day when on holiday so glancing at the time and seeing the weekday was handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,597 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Would love to know what happened to that capacitor, always a tad worrying when you see actual scorch marks on a PCB 😮

At a guess, and as the likely culprit. I'd say that @[Deleted User] is on the money with his diagnosis.

I did upgrade the Ram in '21 and it may have caused a slow death. The thing is, I never work on a board that's live, I always disconnect the battery and surely if I'd done it? It would have been a bright and loud arc?

Anyway it's dead now, long live the new laptop😁

This is a common occurrence (which would tend towards it being as a design flaw); some report a spark and some don't. Even with the battery out there can be some residual charge in the power circuit. You can drain it by holding the power button for a few seconds.

Here's another owners pic and you can see burns and solder on the RAM cover. Bad design.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,974 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Just took delivery of a strap for my Yema Jump Hour that I've had for forever but never actually bought a strap for. Popped it on and it looks great but I'm certain it needs a service. Common sense tells me it's probably not worth servicing. It has no sentimentality, I think it was an eBay purchase many moons ago but the novelty is great. Worth servicing? Thoughts on pricing- €200 ish?

If anyone here is looking for a Bluesky invite? Give me a shout, I have 1 invite going spare at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Edser

If you ring support and explain the mobo died they will sometimes renew your licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Hi All,

Just wanted to post this in case anyone would be interested in flying over for the day.

The watch fair I go to in Birmingham is expanding and having it's first one in London on Sunday 8th October at the Sheraton Skyline Hotel London Heathrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭baron von something

Anybody have experience building their own watch or doing one of those diy watch kits? I fancy taking on a wee project

Yep, I've built a few - here's a flieger style one I made.

And a couple of blatant rip-offs I made when I was bored (and will likely re-case).

If you don't mind the long shipping time, you can easily pick up the parts for a complete watch for less than 100 euro on aliexpress. Buying from Namoki/DLW will cost you a lot more. For tools, create an account on cousins - they're based in the UK, but even with VAT, their prices are good and they've a huge range of stuff. Ignore the eBay/AliX watch tool packs, they usually have a bunch of thing you won't need, and you will need to add other tools to it anyway. You're often better off just building a toolkit yourself.

Check out this thread for more info.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058079469/diy-seiko-mods#latest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭H_Lime

I like the fleiger in particular Eoin! If I were a betting man I'd say that's running a seagull st36??

Changed a balance spring on one last week.

What ya got in mind Herr Baron? Have you a specific build in mind or just something to use as a learning experience dealio?

To begin with gear wise

Caseback opener

Hand setting/removing tools

Rodico

Movement holder

Tweezers

Snips/side cutters and small fine file

Blue loctite

Gasket lube

You'll get all that off Ali starting out for under seventy quid. Go mad!

As with anything you learn to do and then make there's a special buzz from owning that that buying can't touch. Especially when you start to indulge your likes and avoid dislikes and even make something unique to you!

You'd win the bet! It runs pretty well, and I think they're only about 35 quid.

Baron - to the list above, I'd add screwdrivers and something for magnification - no matter how good your eyesight, you'll want it for setting the seconds hand. I personally don't like loupes, and use a freestanding magnifying glass.

They are recognised as a great movement. I have been using one to begin to teach myself more and more as I dismantle and put it back together.

Yours looks great in that pvd case, the crystal appears to have a nice blue ar and the dial seems to hav a decent amount of lume printed on.

Good catch re the screwdrivers and loop. As times goes by I'm replacing the budget gear with saucier stuff. I did this with my crystal press.

Have you any more builds or mods in mind?

Next mod is I want to replace the bezel on my Seiko Samurai, but for the life of me, I can't get the original one off. I've 3 different bezel removing tools and not one has worked so far. I also have the parts for a ST36 based PAM homage on their way from AliX.

Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! €29.91 50%OFF | Watchmaker Repair Tool Snap On Watch Back Case Cover Opener Workbench Remover 07115 Watch Bezel Baffle Removal Tool

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mtSoMCQ

Try this.

Don't try this

Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! €22.89 32%OFF | Professioanl Red /Silver Watch Bezel Opener Removal Tool Workbench Back Case Opener Tool Watch Parts Repair Tool for Watchmaker

It won't fit your Samauri. (I have it)

Have you seen the afm Samauri cases (I think they're by heimdallar as quality is high)

Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! €46.35 50%OFF | Seiko Samurai Diving Watch Modified Case Ceramic Ring Sapphire Glass 200 Meters Waterproof NH35 Movement for 28.5mm Dial

You could keep your stocker stock and go mad one of these!

Thank you! I have the second one, and yes, it doesn't work. I will try the first one. I just want to change the bezel as it's scratched. I like the black case as it is, so won't be doing much more to it.

• Advertisement

I've found that some stock bezels are sacrificial when removing as the forces involved can warp it. I'm in search of a tool that prevents that. The above is worth a shot, maybe getting it to budge at just one point and then rotating the watch slightly and repeat?

My stock spb187 had a tight bezel and I was going to pop it and go down a size in O ring but I elected to lube it with a micro oiler in situ and it's actually fine now. I know I'd have marked the case/bezel if I'd attempted.

Advertisement