Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

It would have been perfect if it wasn’t double standards really because oisin no money did the same thing on a smaller scale to nico

funny to watch all the same

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,932 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

General question about adding/removing links, do people tend to use a dab of glue on the screws?

I read a bit about using it, but not sure if it's required/advised

I don’t think there’s any need, once you’ve had to remove a screw that had loctiite glue added you will see it’s a mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Removing screws with locktite on them is such a pain in the hole.

Spent probably an hour trying to get screws out of my Sinn bracelet when resizing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I do cos it says thats what the manufacturer does. And I guess they do so for a reason cos when you think about it if it ever comes loose you most likely will only realise once your price possession slams onto the concrete or disappears into the Liffey or something.

And when I resized my AT there was indeed glue on the screws. Which was easily loosened by warming the bracelet up a little in that spot. Couple of seconds with a lighter will do. Hair dryer will probably work too.

But I'm just little anal about such things. Maybe its over the top.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I use this blue goo threadlock stuff, same as the Loctite version. Holds screws no bother, but also no bother to undo the same screws. Just needs a little extra torque, but it does mean once tightened as per normal they won't walk themselves out. I initially used thread lock after losing two screws(in one feckin' day) out of my Heuer 1550, with its weird 1930's patent "waterproof" case, held in with four screws. To replace them I needed to buy a set of four, a hundred plus quid, so thought feck that. I've since used it on bracelet screws too.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Lighters

hairdryers

extra torque

as Archie would say fmd guys

if you have a screw with watch glue or loctite on the bracelet just use slightly cooled boiling water, I think that was shown to me when working in Hatton garden 28 years ago, the same man also said never replace the glue it just wastes time and breaks screws and screw driver heads and his shop is still going strong in the watch and gold trade

• Registered Users Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭banie01

So yesterday, a deal was announced for Rolex taking full ownership of Bucherer's retail ops and locations. Today? Watches of Switzerland is down 22% on LSE and price fall could continue.

Fairly clear that Rolex's entry into authentication and resale earlier this year was perhaps a soft launch for them going in a bit heavier on the retail side. What next? Rolex going down the path of more boutiques? Perhaps even boutique only models?

It certainly gives them far more control over retail and secondary markets than they've had previously.

I had a phonecall today from Keanes, whom I've been on the "list" with for quite a while at this stage. Anyway rather than inviting me in to lay my money down for a sub? It was a discussion of my previous purchase history, a couple of questions about my watch history, and asking if I'd bought them from Keanes. Then it was an invite to drop in to the shop to re-confirm my place on their "expression of interest" list...

The girl on the phone, well lets just say she was working to a script and it wasn't a great one.

Suffice it to say I'm no longer on their list, which at this point, should be called a supplicant list rather than an expression of interest list, fúck that for a game of soldiers.

Boiling water sounds very practical. 👌

The main point IMO is don't force the thread lock (and break expensive screwdrivers and/or mess up your screws) when the glue has a built-in release method as in applying heat.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,932 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

That's disappointing to hear.

Were you on the list over a year or two and any purchase history there?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

IMHO many if not most of the problems come from an (understandable) ignorance of the adhesives and their applications involved as it entirely depends on the glue used. EG in the loctite threadlock range the blue type is significantly weaker than the red(there's a green gel type that's even stronger).

The latter pretty much requires the application of heat to release it. Unlike the blue it's not designed for applications that may require future disassembly. NB above on my spurious goo it states "Allows for disassembly". Blue requires slightly more torque, but you certainly don't have to hang out of the screwdriver.

Then you get guys who might substitute in ordinary superglue or things like nail polish, or go full daft and use epoxy...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Fair and understandable to say yer not enjoying the ad experience there B! :)

On their list since 2019 or at very latest, early 2020. A bit of purchase history, no watches but diamonds and some other bits.

An understatement, and with many grey prices falling back to near retail for steel subs. Not a dance I'm interested in partaking in. Would I like to get one at retail, of course. But I'd like to also keep a little self respect 🤣

Post edited by banie01 on

• Registered Users Posts: 65,047 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Sorry to hear about your experience, but "the list" doesn't exist. Sure your name might be on a list of people who have expressed interest, but there is zero relation between your "place" on the list or how long you have waited and being offered a Rolex steel sports watch

Self respect is overrated, the blisters on your knees and tongue will heal! :)

You should walk into weirs pished and demand cake and fine wine!!! "Bring me the stainless sports watches post haste lickspittle!"

Post edited by H_Lime on

On the subject of adhesive, blue loctites yer only man for crown threads and bracelets. Enough grab to keep it stuck but not enough to require heat to undo.

Wibbs I've not seen green but have noticed my replacement suunto elementum caseback screws come with a dab of it on already, which is nice.

After checking out the subject at the time on forums and YouTube etc I came away with the following:

Typical loctite products with appropriate strengths would be loctite 243 or 242. 243 is a bit stronger than 242 and is coloured blue. Not sure what colour 242 is, think it may be purple. Stronger ones might be coloured red or green but are definitely not required for bracelets. According to the manufacturer all have a defined 'breaking torque'. 242 can be 'broken' mechanically relatively easily, strong ones definitely need heating and 243 is somewhere in between.

It appears that blue strength is what manufacturers and service centres recommend and use themselves. So I got 243 for myself since blue was what I found on the bracelet screws to begin with.

Just thought I’d share this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Are Rolex ok with AD's doing this? I saw TikTok from someone and they said if anyone mentions purchase history just walk away, so i presumed they were not meant to be doing this? Think it might have been Nico Leonard, so not sure how reliable he is, dont pay much head to the watch influencer types.

• Advertisement

I'd imagine this has been a thorn in Rolex' side for years. That and the bribery going on with flippers. They have just started to call an end to this by buying the biggest AD chain: Bucherer. I predicted it here I think last year, the likes of Rolex and maybe AP will sell their watches directly soon, ADs will be gone. Most people didn't believe me.

Next step is only guessing but Rolex are master strategists. The timing to do this is perfect as the prices of the watches are down, they don't upset too many people apart from ADs. The grey market is ok with this, it was a pain in the neck for them too, to get new unworn stock, they mostly had to deal with flippers who mostly corruptly got their stock and played grey players off against each other. I expect Rolex to start increasing prices of models that have a discrepancy between retail and grey, to normalise the market, everybody happy.

From what I recall there are two types of 'green', the very liquid form and the more gel like. With the latter it may as well be welded. That's in the loctite range mind you, third party goo could be any colour/strength.

if nico was an ad would he say the same thing ?

he talks **** half the time to get clicks and likes as he makes more money from socials than selling watches

No I'm sure he wouldn't be saying that then haha. I figured he was a bit too opinionated to be reliable. I have watched a couple of Teddy Baldassarre's videos and he seemed to be much more informative.

I've been talking about buying a watch now for about 3 months so think a trip to Weir's is needed and build up that purchase history haha.

nobody on youtube is going to give you the scoop tbh, if you want a watch and don't want to mess about with the ad hassle then buy pre owned from a reputable place

Yea i probably will go pre-owned. In Scotland next week and hoping to pop into a Goldsmiths chain and see what they have.

I got the approval from the other halve to get a BB58 but think i might go lower on the price range for my first luxury watch.

There is a recently serviced Tudor bb58, albeit the older smiley model with an ETA movement for sale over on TZUK at tho mo for what I think is a very reasonable £2350

There also a couple of Blackbay chronos up there at @£2900 too.

I know that not everyone can view the sales corner there, but I use it as a gauge for "real-world" prices amongst a group that trade watches very regularly.

@Unkel gave what's IMO a spot on answer on that one. With Rolex buying Bucherer that may drive a more widespread boutique sales channel(even hopefully) Rolex looking to get a firmer handle on their value chain and ensuring that final price mark up/margin stays with them rather than AD.

Totally agree with @banie01 that sales corner on TZ is a good benchmark for watch values. The prices achieved there are also generally on the low side, even lower than pure open auction sites like eBay.

There's also several BB58 on adverts. Most asking prices are optimistic, but there is usually quite a bit of negotiation that can be done. I like adverts.

It can really be very handy, and watch is already in Ireland too so no VAT shock if one doesn't have an NI address.

• Advertisement

I don't think I can see Sales Corner as I don't have an account on TZ, will sign up now.

Advertisement