Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Sorry I missed this IP. I would say 300 quid is a bit steep for one of those. Though it is in very good condition. Used ones tend to look rough as from what I recall these are chrome plated brass cases. The bracelet being a replacement. These would have come on a rubber strap. I've seen them go for 200 in ebay auctions. The LIP of this designer period that get the money are almost always the electronic or quartz types, the mechanical not so much at all(though early pre electronic LIP Nautic divers get a premium) and the quirkier looking the better as far as that segment of the market goes.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The bumper type of automatic is the earliest(in wristwatches) pioneered by Harwood back in the 20's. Afterwards Rolex came along with the full rotor kind. Maybe some went with the bumper type because of copyright, likely held by Rolex for a time? Rolex didn't invent the automatic, but did develop the full rotor type which is more efficient and the most commonly used since and today. They didn't invent the screwdown crown either, but bought an existing patent and improved the clutch design. When Rolex did innovate which was rarely enough, they kinda did an Apple computers. That is took an existing idea and design and noticeably improved and promoted it. They did the same with the date window(Mimo/GP invention) by adding a day and popularised the GMT(Longines invention) beyond what was a tiny niche.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,467 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I remember the story alright about Jobs steeling the mouse idea from HP I think? And of course Apple didn't invent the smart phone.

So Rolex is like Apple? 😮

F me, gotta dump them all now 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 16,303 ✭✭✭✭banie01

If memory serves the mouse (and a couple of other innovations integral to the paperless office) was a Xerox development?

😂 Yeah kinda. In the sense that Apple and Steve Jobs were incredibly good at spotting a future trend and bringing different innovations together, tweaking them to make it better and promoting it brilliantly. Rolex and Hans Wilsdorf certainly did that. Jobs and Wilsdorf were true giants of spotting and creating trends and driving buyer demand. Where they differ is that Apple were far more actually innovative than Rolex ever were. As I've said before it would be hard to name a mainstream Swiss brand who innovated less than Rolex. Omega and Longines(and Seiko on the Japanese front) would be so far ahead of them Rolex would need the services of the Hubble telescope to see them, but neither are within an asses roar of the public perception of Rolex. Save for bringing together previous outside innovations like screwdown backs, fronts and crowns and later an automatic movement into the first Rolex Oysters of the 1920's and setting a trend for "Waterproof" watches*(which was very clever), they've done remarkably little since. One exception would be their inhouse Oysterquartz movement of the 1970's which was way ahead in innovation and quality compared to their mechanical movements up until quite recently.

What is remarkable is that Rolex is the "luxury" watch brand of the world and the vast majority of their fans and the general public would believe they were the bees knees in quality and innovation. The Pride and Pinion lad in between effin and blinding and willy jokes again claimed in a recent vid that Rolex invented the waterproof watch and as a "watch expert" he should know that's bollocks. Then again, bollocks sells... That's a helluva trick to pull off and Rolex did and continue to do so.

*though in reality it wasn't that much of a trend until the 1960's. The vast majority of watches sold up till then weren't nor claimed to be waterproof. It seems it was a fair way down the list for the casual buying market. The whole outdoor sport and scuba diving thing changed that. Though there had been a brief rumbling of that in the 1920's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭emo72

Hi lads, I have a sumo that's had a few dings and looks a bit sorry, I'm looking to get it polished up and upgraded to a sapphire crystal. Anyone know anywhere that would do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

I've had my head turned recently by the Tudor Pelagos and wondering if anyone on the forum has one? I'd love to get a look at one and try it on to see if it fits well or not.

The 2012 model I think would suit better from a size POV being 1mm less thick than the newer version, however the latest model has the in-house chronometer caliber with the 70-hour power reserve which is quite appealing.

For the Limerick folk, do you know if Keane's stock Tudor? I don't remember seeing any models on display last time I was there, but I think that was pre-covid so may have changed since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,661 ✭✭✭893bet

They def stock them in Cork so assume have a selection in the Limerick branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

@Lex Luthor I was poking around some old threads and I see that you used to have a Stowa Ikarus. Do you still have it? I would be interested in your thoughts after a few years of ownership.

I am having a good luck at them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Private Snafu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,303 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Have a deal done on an Omega 2535.80 buying from Germany on Chrono24. Full kit with a recent service at €3150 with a warranty.

I had been looking at Japanese and US watches but the VAT brought them past anything available in the EU.

If anyone here has a blue rubber Aquaterra strap they want shot of? Let me know. I want to try it out on the GMT 😉

Edit

I actually completely forgot about my 3% cashback! Bonus for me and €94.5 in CRO back my way 😁 My wife has threatened to put it away until Xmas tho 😲

Post edited by banie01 on

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Didn't end up buying any watches at the fair, I did however buy an eye loop and got a very special gift from John Bentley , a NOS Bell-matic dial that is unique model not having a jewel count

The weather made for an interesting trip home, flight was delayed by over 2 hours waiting to be de-iced

That dial is a cracking find IP. 👍🏻🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Does anyone here have a black bay 58 ? I’m considering picking one up but see a lot of people seem to move them very quick so looking for some real world ownership opinions as opposed to the bark and jack “best watch in the world “ reviews that YouTube is full of

• Registered Users Posts: 19,520 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

It's ok, nice watch ruined by the bracelet for me personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

I have one. I'm not a fan of the bracelet either, so i have both the leather and the Nato style strap. Its my day to day watch i'd wear when i'm not off. It's comfortable, fairly classically styled so you can dress it up or down, has stood up to scratches remarkably well, and the build quality is very solid on it. What it isn't is very interesting, but it's not trying to be either. Happy to show you mine if you're around Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,520 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

sorry one other thing id add, i cant think of a scenario where if i had a sub and a BB58 that i would pick the BB save for the fact i owned it and felt guilty about not wearing, i know you have a sub (or two), i think you will be underwhelmed.

i have only handled in an AD briefly but also had the “nice solid watch but Meh it ain’t gonna budge another watch off my wrist” feeling.

But in a world where a speedmaster is 4K plus etc and a sub is above retail then the bb58 at 2600 ish second hand is exceptional value.

That’s very decent of you , thank you @Time If I decide to move on one I’ll take you up on your offer before purchasing.

Yes , I’m not sure how much wear it would get but as @893bet says they seem great value for money.

I have a Tudor gmt which is a good solid watch and is pushing me towards another Tudor.Also like the idea of a smaller 39mm watch .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Looks like we have a speculator in Cork, bought a couple of Mings (think mingers is the plural?) and flogging them over retail. He will probably get somebody to buy them too, market dysfunction continues.

https://www.adverts.ie/dress/ming-27-01-dress-watch/25476095

I like the 27.01

I have still not decided if Gringa is the most annoying watch YouTuber…..or the most annoying YouTuber in general. But I enjoyed the below a little.

(wannabe indie crew here)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

'a little' pretty much sums her up for me. The concept is good but the execution just doesn't do it.

Patek following Rolex LOL. I'm no fan of the Nautilus but that colour makes it kinda cool 😂

I think it looks hideous personally. Very cheap. Maybe it looks amazing in the flesh.

You said the same about the turquoise OP. And now look which is the most valuable colour of the lot? I guess the market disagrees with you!

Value doesn’t impact my likes or dislikes. Them OPs still look cheap. But there is no accounting for bad taste.

My tastes are at odds to the majority of the market indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Looks a bit girlie.

Love the language 'Patek gifting LVMH' .

Advertisement