Advertisement
Boards are fundraising to help the people of Ukraine via the Red Cross at this horrific time. Please donate and share if you can, you will find the link here. Many thanks.

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭ Cyclingtourist

"New Tudor Pelagos just announced with some interesting design choices... it has a bi-directional countdown bezel, and no spring bars so no option of using a bracelet."

Do the military versions have a bi-directional bezel?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭ Pablo_Flox

Yeah, they say that it is not used for monitoring air / time under water; but for navigating.

E.G. Swim West for 10 minutes, then North for 6 minutes and you will reach your destination. (At least that is how in understood it!)

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭ Pablo_Flox

"No attempt to disguise that or obfuscate it TBH. Rather a hope that it'd swerve the desk 😉 naive I know but then I can rely on luck rather than overt tax evasion for saving me a few quid."

You are a good citizen!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,033 ✭✭✭✭ banie01

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭ micks_address

nice Banie... i should list my blue datejust :) happy with the outcome?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭ Fitz II

Congrats Banie, you get good money?

Very happy, the deal I cut with them was a fixed price back my way and tbh I was kinda expecting it back.

They sold it at their asking afaik and that was £15k stg 😮

15k GBP.........holy feckballs. Thats basic Lange 1815 money, hell even an offshore round there, or a gen 2 overseas and 5k euro in the pocket.....I am actually speachless.

Honestly Fitz, and I said it both to 893 and posted it here when I was originally chatting with them. I thought they were spoofing with regard their estimate. Have to say, from email, to chatting with Gav and meeting Tim all a great process so far that went very smoothly and fair play to their salesmanship 😮

Now to see the money in my account and plan some more purchases before I gush anymore over them 😉

Their insta presence is to be fair, laddish and brash, but it works apparently 🤷

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 57,814 CMod ✭✭✭✭ unkel

Bloody hell. The market is crazy but those lads know how to sell! It seems whatever price tag they put on a watch (within some reason), the very presence of the watch in their shop / vault / website is enough to sell it!

I've a nice piece incoming myself. Be a few days before I have it though. And yes, it's a Rolex 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭ hitemfrank

It's not turquoise is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,864 ✭✭✭ 893bet

Nicely done! Like I said earlier I did ok and was happy with my sale to you not that long ago. You did better!

I pity the poor bastard that bought it now though.

Now it’s no longer on the forum in mine of Banie ownership it can be called out that at small wearing 37mm it was just a ladies size!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,864 ✭✭✭ 893bet

The market is bananas. I was just looking at my collection on c24 (3 watches) and their value (based on average asking price on c24)…….…in the last 6 months their value has increased 20k.

I assume it’s bullshit but…….

Now it’s no longer on the forum in mine of Banie ownership it can be called out that at small wearing 37mm it was just a ladies size!

Well after much toing and froing 😉 I agree, it's not a watch for a chunky wrist. Whomever bought it? Has my gratitude 😁 and a little pity too. It is a stunning watch IMO. The integrated bracelet and the faceted surfaces are a masterful piece of design. It's a watch I spent a long time wearing and smiling at.

But that kinda money just could not be passed up.

Theirs a beer, or a small brewery 😉 owed 893's way and it is a shame to see it off the forum. The brightside? We can talk about the gammy size 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭ micks_address

a few people reckon the 36mm datejust even on a larger sized wrist is nicer than the 41.. the 41 wears kinda big for sure.. i probably should have tried on the 36mm before buying

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 57,814 CMod ✭✭✭✭ unkel

On a small / skinny man maybe. For an average or bigger man, 36mm simply is far too small these days bordering on looking ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭ hitemfrank

Myself and Wibbs feel personally attacked.

Unkle would take you 😂 Its about the look at the end of the day. If you want that "mad men" look of small vintage then go small, if you want a more modern, aggressive look go bigger. Smaller watches always nag at me,especiallyy sports watches where there is bezel in the way as well. 36 all dial can be ok but again for that vintage look. 36mm datejust not too bad...the jubilee takes away some of the size.

Whoever got Banies VC is a luck lady for sure.

The Yank deserves a tip of the hat 😁 I got the customs invoice in the door this morning for the grand total of....

€102.44! I can only assume the value was underdeclared but, given the watch will now be in hand tmrw? And! That tmrw is my birthday 😁 I'm going to accept the discounted VAT and the coincidental arrival of a new watch for my bday to be the universe giving me a bit of a pass...

Off to the smoke in the morning for an early dinner in Chai-Yo, then Vicar St for the Dara O'Briain show and then some late dinks at the hotel.

The plan was to take in the All-blacks game on Saturday but, alas I gave my tickets to my mate as I'm honestly completely unable to attend unless I take more drugs than a Wetherspoons regular. I mean just look at the strap they led me to putting on the U2W 🤣

• Advertisement

My Astronaut is a 37mm watch but, it does wear larger. I think the combo of the narrow bracelet and bright bezel also tril the eye on that front. I do agree with 893 that the VC is small. It wears it too thanks to the integrated bracelet. His (formerly yours?)Gen 2 is a far better size, but I do think the Gen 1 is a prettier watch.

As for the price craziness? P&P have 2 VC dual-times up now 1 white priced at £16950 and 1 blue at £29950😲 £13k difference for just the dial colour! Utter lunacy!

I did specifically exclude skinny men 😂

Even so. You have a very skinny wrist. A Milgauss is all dial and very little bezel. So wears relatively big. And 40mm. Looks about perfect on you. I can't see you look good with a 36mm, unless maybe with a vintage watch like Fitz suggested. Even then.

Birthday is ruined! Watch is still in Dublin 😩(joking)

It'll be the IWC on the wrist for my trip away today then. So not too shabby 😉

@IrishPlayer delighted to see you deciding to throw yourself deeper into the hobby. It will be very interesting to see how you get on and I think that your experiences there may very well be worth a thread of their own once you start.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭ IrishPlayer

Thanks @banie01 given the hassle I've been having recently with shipping, along with vat and import charges from the USA along with Japan, buying anymore watches at the moment doesn't seem like a good idea so this seems like a good next step in enjoying this hobby.

I have never done any sort of course before, went straight to retail work, currently looking for a change and have always wanted to do one. Of course not expecting to get any sort of career out of it, but it will be a fun experience, after going to the fair back in July, getting chatting with others with the same interest was fantastic.

Would be great if I could service my own pieces someday, will document it along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭ Aph2016

Any Seiko SPB259 fans? Love the dial.

Still waiting to settle up and get the VC money in my account but, the search for the next horologically hefty piece is underway.

I keep coming back to tool watches and the Glasshutte SeaQ panorama date is an interesting one that seems to be available well below retail. Will probably wait until the new year on that front tho.

Not so hefty, but still in my radar. I'm also on the hunt for an Omega 2535.80 and there at least there is both some movement on a WTB I posted over on TZ and on prices with the sellers I've been talking to on Chrono.

Must actually do a SOTC at some point now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭ Lorddrakul

Anyone catch the Deirdre O'Kane show on Sky the other night?

Neil Delamare did a good routine on buying a nice watch for his dad.

He started by saying, 'well, Dad's 86, so it isn't really a present, more of loan!'

:)

On the topic of P&P and their consignment service. They offer their buyers a 14day CoM return window (as per distance sales regs) so once the change of mind window passes, money is transferred.

Overall, very happy with their service and in particular Gavin and Tim are both great to talk to (exceptional salesmen 😉). I don't know if any other easily accessible dealer could have achieved the price they did, as quickly and with as reasonable a deal tbh. I'd have no issue recommending them but would caveat that with this.

Always remember what selling on consignment entails, yes you may achieve a higher price but, your watch is out of your hands and if the seller (any seller) goes bust? You are in for a long wait to see anything back, if at all.

• Advertisement

Did the money land yet Banie?

Advertisement