Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yep. Private planes are often the kinda prices you would have paid for a normal flight before low cost airlines like Ryanair came along.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,467 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I remember paying IRP699 for a one way (!) flight from AMS to DUB with Aer Lingus in the mid 90s. That was roughly the net monthly wage of a university graduate. So similar to about €2500 in today's money.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,303 ✭✭✭✭banie01

There was a reason we useta take the boat when we were emigrating 😉 it was cos the flights anywhere off of our rock were mad expensive!

I remember at one point paying IR£400 for a flight to Leeds in the earlyish 90's. Cheap flights changed all that and the IR£29 coach suddenly didn't look like such great value.

On a watch related front. Saw an incredibly cheap Sinn U2 on Chrono24 last night, no box or papers and strap was too short for me. Not a problem as I have a few silicon straps. Clicked buy, waited with bated breath to complete the checkout. Only to be told it was already sold. Dammit!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,739 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Been sitting all day and was getting a whiff of something every now and again.

Thought it was the top I was wearing! Smelled like it was left to dry out for a few days after coming out of the wash.

Randomly sniffing it directed me to the cuff of it. Thought it was strange no smell from the rest of it.

Thought nothing more, but every now and again the odour hit me, so I'd sniff the cuff again!

But it was actually the strap of my Traser P59 Type 3, which I recently wore once or twice when showering when I couldn't be arsed to take it off.

Anyone know how to get the damp smell out of it now?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

The same thing happened me a few times with a fabric strap that I had on my Fitbit. I'm not sure what the recommended solution is, but what I did was put the strap into a cup of boiling water with a small bit of bleach and let it steep for a few hours. Worked for me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The other trick I've used with natos and a couple of vintage fabric straps* I have is to stick them in a clean sock and into a regular clothes wash. That gets the funk out. With steel bracelets it's once a year into the ultrasonic cleaner with them and marvel in dusgust at the clag that comes out. 🤢😁 Actually the ultrasonics sucks the goo out of natos too, but the washing machine is better.

*which were marketed back in the day as "hygienic", which in an era of leather and even steel before ultrasonic cleaners could at least be washed.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Question...wibbs looking at you. What is this watch? Is it real?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hi folks,

I've a question about ordering a Rolex at retail. If you order say a GMT etc and given that it might take 3 or 5 years etc..do Rolex retailers sell at the rrp or do they charge market value? Someone told me weirs quoted them 13k for a sub rrp which sounds wrong?

Cheers,

Mick

Might have been a two tone. AD must sell at Rolex recommended prices. They do carry a stock of pre owned watches and some Rolex, but new watches are at RRP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Unfortunately it’s not ordering a watch , there’s not even a list anymore .I was told there used to be a list that was to be fulfilled but now it’s past history that counts so if you’ve no history you not getting one from the AD.While weirs might say 3-5 years it doesn’t mean it will take 3-5 years to fulfill your order .

• Advertisement

The P&P lads are spot on timewise. I'd guessed the 22nd as the end of the 14 day window.

Received an email today to confirm my payment A/c and that once confirmed, funds would be sent today.

I'm going to miss the VC, but I must say very impressed both with the service offered by the lads in Belfast from initial chat, to pick up and ultimate sale, but even more so with the price achieved and the speed of transaction.

Looks real enough to me Fitz. 50's/60"s Omega with a crown replacement. Looks like a ladies size? Though if it's above 34mm probably not. Is the caseback gold as well, or is the main watch case plated? It's hard to tell from the piccies.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Arrived in the post today

I'm now an associate member of the British Horological Institute! 🙂 Really looking forward to attending the courses next year. Also with returning to Birmingham this Sunday for the watch fair, loads to look forward to and will be sure to do post updates along the way.

Also one for Wibbs, was looking through the sales section of Watchuseek and came across a vintage Lip diver [Link] €300 a good price for one?

Has anyone bought from Watchmaster? I know they have a "black Friday" offer on at the moment but, anyone any experience of pitching them an offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Yeah I've bought a couple of watches from WF and they were open to negotiation.

Yes you can negotiate. Particularly if you try sell them your watch first (wait for their cash offer) and then show interest in a trade up to one of their watches. Which one you interested in, post a link and we will have a guess how much they'll let it go for 😂

That's not Watchfinder though, is it?

Edit, my bad, I thought you were asking about Watchfinder. I have no experience with Watchmaster, but they look to have a similar business model, so you can always ask for discount or offer below asking price. Wait till close to the end of the month, might help (if salesperson needs to up their revenue for commission reasons)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Apologies, I thought you were asking about Watchfinder, but from clicking on that link I see you were taking about Watchmaster 😬

Nice looking watch and price seems pretty decent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,661 ✭✭✭893bet

Are watch master a more consignment based model? So it will vary from watch to watch interms of what may be acceptable.

Lads, you have given me some hope that at least I'm not going insane 🤣 The actual amount of times I am finding myself needing to check myself that something I've read actually says what my brain has registered it as or expected it to be? Has grown exponentially over the last few months.

I know they do a lot of sales that way alright. Their stock on Chrono24 has a make a price suggestion option, but on their own site there isn't such an option.

I've thrown them an email making an offer anyway. I'll let the thread know how it goes. They have a €150 off code on the price tier it's at, but I'm hoping with the 150 off and buying direct via Chrono24 with their 6% or so 😉

That a deal can be done.

Its a 36mm, defo gold plated on the case and back, light watch.

That's at very best sharp practice and is IMO far closer to actual fraud than some horror stories I've seen.

How could they possibly be certain it wasn't stolen and worse? How could they stand over a matched set, when the serial is illegible.

So definitely a bloke's watch(of the time). Interesting that the caseback is golden Fitz. 9 times out of 10 a plated case would get a steel caseback* and a golden caseback usually means actual gold, certainly with Swiss watches. American casemakers were more likely to have plated(gold filled to make it sound fancier) casebacks. I wonder was it cased in the US and originally sold there? With US tax and import laws up to the late 60's a lot of Swiss brands were cased in the US by local makers to get around the penalties.

At this kinda period I'd not go by weight to judge. The watches were much smaller and "solid" gold dress cases were thin, whereas today precious metal cases are much bigger and thicker so you can feel the heft more as a selling point. I've a 40's Longines in solid 14Kt and a strong gust of wind would carry it away. 50's Patek calatravas are surprisingly light in the hand if you're used to more current stuff.

It would be interesting to see the movement and inside the caseback. It's got a pretty hefty "waterproof" screwdown back, whereas most dress watches at the time would have been press fit.

*much of this was down to a plated case wearing, exposing the nickle or whatever and causing rashes in some. Not good for return biz. 😁

Wibbs if you are interested in the watch shoot me a PM and I will send it to you. Defo American origin from the story behind it. I have no great us of it and you would get more enjoyment than me out of it....

Ah Fitz that's extremely sound of you. 😊👍️ I reckon a certain chap hereabouts by the name of Irishplayer might be the far better choice, him heading down the watchmaker route and all. He'd stand an actual chance of getting it running again. TBH though I've had some minor success with mechanical stuff, for some reason I've had way more success with wacky early leccy stuff. Probably because I'm daft enough to try. 😁

PS I'd like to see you wear it Fitz. Just to imagine your face at "WTF is this tiny feckin thing on my wrist. Man size my arse". 😁

I believe that is an Omega Bumper from the 1950s. Found a post on Watchuseek [Link] . Going by the post, it gets it's name from the interesting design of the movement instead of a rotor, there's a weight that swings to wind the watch, and at the end of each rotation, "bumps" against a spring.

The case back should have some markings with more info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

I'd never heard of that type movement before, has anyone any idea of the logic behind not having a full rotor?

Advertisement