Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,303 ✭✭✭✭banie01

@Fitz II Lovely selection of wristies there! Wonder how many of those I could buy with the funds released from the below?😉

I know it's an early version, I know it's rare, has a brown dial and TBH? I love the hands. But! How in the name of any rationality? Can a watch that in all other respects is unremarkable except for it's provenance? And even that is quite unremarkable...

Guided for an estimated top range of €120k, sell for nearly €3 million?!?😮

• Registered Users Posts: 64,467 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Love those first few pics of the navy and green Aquanauts, did you dress on purpose for them? 😂

Well, does wearing any of them bring the love for the hobby back a bit? That 5990/1R is the ultimate flex watch. And if you could get that at retail, it will be the best investment you ever make, pay 5 figures and make an instant quarter of a million profit 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Glad a few here got into the exhibition to see the pieces in the flesh. They really are stunning when you have them in hand. 5172 for me is the best piece they have. I’ve my name down the last good while for a 5164a too and no sign of it anytime soon. Whenever I do get it I think that would be me done with new watches for a good while.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,520 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Agree i loved the 5172 i have to say, beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭Fitz II

5172 took my eye also, that caseback..I could state at it all day cause I am into that,.. Heavy price...the breitling premier get you a lot of the way there but the strap and the finish on the Patek was eye catching allbeit at a significant premium. I was loving the chrono aquanauts the size is super and great wearability. But look father Ted they all have lovely bottoms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Tbh even if someone was in the market for a 70k chronograph, I can’t see why they wouldn’t get an ALS 1815 and save themselves 15k!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,661 ✭✭✭893bet

I was thinking the exact same. And at a mm or so thinner it will wear a lot better.

But….Patek…

More sporty look than the ALS and more "swiss" less "germanic" , but the movement on the ALS looks better, more depth (never saw one in the metal only talking off photos here).....but look I am going to throw this out here.....60k on a watch is too much money on a watch....thats an entire collection of excellent watches. There said it.

Who are you? And what have you done with our high end flipper? 😉🤣

I don't disagree with you, but am surprised that it was said by you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

New Tudor Pelagos just announced with some interesting design choices... it has a bi-directional countdown bezel, and no spring bars so no option of using a bracelet.

Its arrived in Ireland 😁 Sacrifices to the gods of Revenue have failed however and an additional few hundred will be required on top before it makes its way to me. C'est la guerre!🙄

The transit time from US to here may be of interest to some. It spent from the 3rd to late evening on the 9th wending its way from Nebraska to Illinois. once it hit Chicago, in Ireland and customs generated within 14hrs!

Who was it sent with Banie? USPS?

Interesting (and disappointing) that Revenue caught it, what was the declared value if I can be so nosey?!

Sent via USPS and declared value was the sale price. No attempt to disguise that or obfuscate it TBH. Rather a hope that it'd swerve the desk 😉 naive I know but then I can rely on luck rather than overt tax evasion for saving me a few quid.

Tax hit should be in the 390 range but tbh, that still brings the total cost of the watch to €2.2k which I really think is still great value for what it is.

Forgot to mention, the new Pelagos...

The only part of it that appeals to me is the no-date. The integrated case and bi directional bezel really don't gel with me at all. Bi-directional bezel on a diver is a safety risk IMO and detracts from the redundancy that it gives with a D.C

edit

Just to add, of course some divers such as the ploprof and Eterna kontiki and I think maybe IWC? Have bi-directional bezels but they are lockable or a combo of 2 bezels internal/external with 1 either lockable or uni-directional to ensure dive time accuracy.

From what I've read of the FXD, the bezel doesn't lock. May be of use to a military diver navigating? But no help to a PADI or recreational diver.

Post edited by banie01 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

"New Tudor Pelagos just announced with some interesting design choices... it has a bi-directional countdown bezel, and no spring bars so no option of using a bracelet."

Do the military versions have a bi-directional bezel?

Yeah, they say that it is not used for monitoring air / time under water; but for navigating.

E.G. Swim West for 10 minutes, then North for 6 minutes and you will reach your destination. (At least that is how in understood it!)

"No attempt to disguise that or obfuscate it TBH. Rather a hope that it'd swerve the desk 😉 naive I know but then I can rely on luck rather than overt tax evasion for saving me a few quid."

You are a good citizen!

Lads, I am surprised and a honestly amazed at the madness at play in the market for blue watches! I honestly expected this back with me in a week or 2 unsold.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭micks_address

nice Banie... i should list my blue datejust :) happy with the outcome?

• Advertisement

Congrats Banie, you get good money?

Very happy, the deal I cut with them was a fixed price back my way and tbh I was kinda expecting it back.

They sold it at their asking afaik and that was £15k stg 😮

15k GBP.........holy feckballs. Thats basic Lange 1815 money, hell even an offshore round there, or a gen 2 overseas and 5k euro in the pocket.....I am actually speachless.

Honestly Fitz, and I said it both to 893 and posted it here when I was originally chatting with them. I thought they were spoofing with regard their estimate. Have to say, from email, to chatting with Gav and meeting Tim all a great process so far that went very smoothly and fair play to their salesmanship 😮

Now to see the money in my account and plan some more purchases before I gush anymore over them 😉

Their insta presence is to be fair, laddish and brash, but it works apparently 🤷

• Registered Users Posts: 64,467 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Bloody hell. The market is crazy but those lads know how to sell! It seems whatever price tag they put on a watch (within some reason), the very presence of the watch in their shop / vault / website is enough to sell it!

I've a nice piece incoming myself. Be a few days before I have it though. And yes, it's a Rolex 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

It's not turquoise is it?

Nicely done! Like I said earlier I did ok and was happy with my sale to you not that long ago. You did better!

I pity the poor bastard that bought it now though.

Now it’s no longer on the forum in mine of Banie ownership it can be called out that at small wearing 37mm it was just a ladies size!

The market is bananas. I was just looking at my collection on c24 (3 watches) and their value (based on average asking price on c24)…….…in the last 6 months their value has increased 20k.

I assume it’s bullshit but…….

Now it’s no longer on the forum in mine of Banie ownership it can be called out that at small wearing 37mm it was just a ladies size!

Well after much toing and froing 😉 I agree, it's not a watch for a chunky wrist. Whomever bought it? Has my gratitude 😁 and a little pity too. It is a stunning watch IMO. The integrated bracelet and the faceted surfaces are a masterful piece of design. It's a watch I spent a long time wearing and smiling at.

But that kinda money just could not be passed up.

Theirs a beer, or a small brewery 😉 owed 893's way and it is a shame to see it off the forum. The brightside? We can talk about the gammy size 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭micks_address

a few people reckon the 36mm datejust even on a larger sized wrist is nicer than the 41.. the 41 wears kinda big for sure.. i probably should have tried on the 36mm before buying

Advertisement