Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Hannah : Fri 26 - Sat 27 April 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

handbags in cork to be honest. "high orange" me hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

fryup wrote: »
    outside a bungalow in rural east clare

Car can be replaced
    You can’t

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

froog wrote: »

Getting absolutely smashed here in Mallow since 7pm. House is still rattling.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Greensoup

Brutal night in south limerick. Powerful gusts and rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I'm hoping the yellow warning has fizzled out. Calm here in South Sligo except for the occaisional downpour. Sometimes yellow warnings up here can feel more like orange but not tonight, thankfully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Shadylou

My sentiments exactly

You realise Cork is a big county yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

mr.wiggle wrote: »
    Getting absolutely smashed here in Mallow since 7pm. House is still rattling.

Suddenly getting gusty now in cork city. Thought it had passed. Ah well storm Ophelia got rid of a lot of dead wood so hopefully electricity won't go

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Shadylou wrote: »
    My sentiments exactly

Seriously windy in Rochestown the last couple of hours. As someone said earlier, Cork city ain't that big lads......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Non Event in Cork city southside so far anyway. A bit blustery is all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Pretzill wrote:
    I'm hoping the yellow warning has fizzled out. Calm here in South Sligo except for the occaisional downpour. Sometimes yellow warnings up here can feel more like orange but not tonight, thankfully.

Mental in North Mayo right now. Roared in at 11:02 exactly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

I turned on the music to drown out the howling here in North Clare

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Shadylou

Seriously windy in Rochestown the last couple of hours. As someone said earlier, Cork city ain't that big lads......

I dunno why kind of weather system ye have on the south side, we have had a light drizzle and nothing else all night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

I think the wind has eased near Limerick city in the last hour but there is still the odd severe gusts around.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

Great to hear ..... Must be wonderful to live in such a sheltered dwelling.

Not the same elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Very windy with dirty showers in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Jojo37

Winds howling for the last few hours in North Cork. Lashing rain also. Thought it would have died down by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Has it stalled ? Going much slower than I expected.

600 FT asl - McGillycuddy Reeks - Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

11pm, highest gusts so far

Mace head 120km/h
    Shannon 119km/h
    Sherkin 114km/h
    Valentia 114km/h

Unofficial station but 153 recorded in Moneypoint in Clare earlier.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I always see reports from you saying nothing is happening in Cork city, in contrary to other Cork posters especially during Emma last year.

It's like San Francisco Cork, very open and easy to take the wind head on....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

God help us if this is what we class as a storm, few gusts in bantry, unbaton the hatches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Quite windy in Arklow but steady 40 to 60kmh last few hours
    A few in the 70's,highest 76
    We are south of the low,so staying windy
    No let up,but not severe
    A squal associated higher gust is possible in the ongoing south of low shower train in the next few hours here

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Shannon Airport reporting 66-kt gust between 2300 and midnight.

Mace Head and now Roches Point 64 kts.

Shannon Airport reporting 66-kt gust between 2300 and midnight.

Mace Head and now Roches Point 64 kts.

Any idea if its nearly passed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

I'm the contrary, there are strong gusts, south side of cork city. There's a difference between "blustery" and the gust that is happening atm... Or else it's just very localised.. which I can't see being the case.. trees practically bending in the gusts here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Visit https://www.xcweather.co.uk/observations and select Animation > Pressure

It will give one an idea of the progress of this. The strongest of the winds are to the south, southwest and west of the storm centre with the winds flowing in from a southwest, west and northwest direction accordingly.

Depending on your local terrain and geographical position, this storm will hit at different times as a result.

In particular I note the Cork City statements - those elevated above the city on the north side will have experienced the worst of the winds from a southwesterly direction mainly so far. Those on southside hills will be wondering what all the fuss was about. Later in the night, the northside will feel alot has died down while their southside counterparts will think things are finally happening, this is down to the terrain of the city, higher land between you and the prevailing direction will mean the wind, quite literally, blows over your head.

The best way of understanding this is to understand the way wind circulates around a passing storm and how the local hills affect this.

In my own neck of the woods, river valleys and upland areas play a vital role in this - not just during wind events, but shower formations, frontal rain events, snowfall and frost too.

It's what makes the weather an interesting thing to observe, because it differs so much from district to district.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,441 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It’s absolutely bitter here in cork city. Christ there’s a cold wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Picking up abit in N.E galway, garage door started banging in the gusts. Got soaked again putting a block up against it!

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    It’s absolutely bitter here in cork city. Christ there’s a cold wind.

You die hard lol
    When I was living in Cork no weather would stop me from going to Sir Henry's lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Tikki Wang Wang

Looks like another needless red warning shocker from ME again....

Advertisement