Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Hannah : Fri 26 - Sat 27 April 2019

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

It's tasty now in Castlebar. House creaking now.
    Batten down

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Seemed like a simple drive home from the pub, we had to clear 3 trees off the road on the run home in the space of 3km.
    If your driving tonight or tomorrow keep the eyes peeled for falling trees.
    North Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭celt262

Just woke up by wind in cavan town. Driving rain also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

froog wrote: »
    ffs a gale, nothing more. this storm hysteria has to stop.

No. It should not. Where I live in South Dublin, most storms are "bit windy".

As I was explaining to the flatmate earlier, the direction the wind comes from changes and can do damage. A wind from the W or WNW will lift tiles of our roof. Another direction and we are sheltered.

It can change within a KM depending on where you live. Hills etc.

Just because its all quiet with you, Someone 500 Yrds down the road might have no power and a tree in their bed!

There's some serious gusts out there..

Hope you're saving the favourite local candidates posters!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

So 123 kph was the highest recorded gust at a land station (Mace Head and Shannon Airport) during the Red alert period. The Cliffs of Moher station was perfectly placed for the core of strongest winds. It is now offline but had hit 63 knots (117 kph) at I think midnight.

Even at sea the buoys in the most prone area didn't hit the heights expected. Ballybunion 69 knots (128 kph) and Finnis Buoy (Aran Islands) 62 knots (115 kph).

As I said earlier, it looked like the storm peaked a little earlier than the models had progged, so while it was wild, it doesn't look as bad as it could have been. The Red may have look warranted at the time, but with the benefit of hindsight it most likely didn't turn out that way. Not saying Met Éireann were wrong to issue it. If we could tell the future with 100% accuracy then we'd not be on boards.ie but boards.bb

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The storm has intensified this last hour out here. Fiercer gusts and heavier deluges. west mayo, offshore island. met.ie says " for a time on Saturday" in the marine orange warning so no easing yet as in "violent storm force winds."

Heaviest gust I’ve ever heard out there just now, Renmore Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,441 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Wind is really picking up in cork city. I'm listening to music and the windows are moving above the music. It's tasty outside in cork city now.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,441 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

There's some serious gusts out there..

Hope you're saving the favourite local candidates posters!!

Where's out there friend ?

• Advertisement

So 123 kph was the highest recorded gust at a land station (Mace Head and Shannon Airport) during the Red alert period. The Cliffs of Moher station was perfectly placed for the core of strongest winds. It is now offline but had hit 63 knots (117 kph) at I think midnight.

Even at sea the buoys in the most prone area didn't hit the heights expected. Ballybunion 69 knots (128 kph) and Finnis Buoy (Aran Islands) 62 knots (115 kph).

As I said earlier, it looked like the storm peaked a little earlier than the models had progged, so while it was wild, it doesn't look as bad as it could have been. The Red may have look warranted at the time, but with the benefit of hindsight it most likely didn't turn out that way. Not saying Met Éireann were wrong to issue it. If we could tell the future with 100% accuracy then we'd not be on boards.ie but boards.bb

It surely has to be a prepare for the worst scenario. To ensure as much personal and property safety as is humanly possible. Far far safer than to underestimate.

And that is what matters, what is the real aim of forecasting. Not some esoteric scientific exercise. Deaths have happened when folk have ignored warnings. So no, Met were not wrong in any way. They were being responsible and cautious. It is apparent that some who criticise are in areas where the worst weather did not happen.. rather than where we would have been relieved if it had not been as bad as forecast. Listening to the din here, definitely!

No harm is done by preparing for the worst. Much harm can be done by not doing so .

deeply grateful to met.ie and here for their meticulous observations and responsible forecasting.

Wilder than ever out here now. Whole house is shaking in the gusts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Powers gone here near Arklow
    Frequent gusts above 90kmh
    Quite loud compared to earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭col007

Severe gusts in greystones very loud

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

rain pelting down an alarm going off in the distance..gusty wind not a bad show..d24

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Very disappointed with the posting quality this evening!

Bit rough out there for a postman alright.

Did the dog eat another birthday card :D

What way is it clearing? I'm halfway between Doonbeg and Arklow and it's still throwing up some serious gusts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Dublin 7 and storm now.

What way is it clearing? I'm halfway between Doonbeg and Arklow and it's still throwing up some serious gusts.

It's likely to ease but will remain very windy in the morning
    1632 houses without power in Arklow area now including me
    Restore estimate is 545am but I wouldn't expect crews to be up poles in this,gusting 90 atm and higher
    I'm not near the console but wouldn't be surprised to see more strong gusts in the showers
    Its currently very loud

Wind tunnel up the street to my SSE, and rain battering the windows that face NNW. Back garden seems calm but if I go out the front door I may end up in Wales! Dublin 6.

Very brief hail hitting the windows in amongst the rain. Seldom get rain from this direction. Roof is leaking again. Fourth time in 15 years.. This unusual for Dublin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Graces7 wrote: »
    It surely has to be a prepare for the worst scenario. To ensure as much personal and property safety as is humanly possible. Far far safer than to underestimate.

And that is what matters, what is the real aim of forecasting. Not some esoteric scientific exercise. Deaths have happened when folk have ignored warnings. So no, Met were not wrong in any way. They were being responsible and cautious. It is apparent that some who criticise are in areas where the worst weather did not happen.. rather than where we would have been relieved if it had not been as bad as forecast. Listening to the din here, definitely!

No harm is done by preparing for the worst. Much harm can be done by not doing so .

deeply grateful to met.ie and here for their meticulous observations and responsible forecasting.

Wilder than ever out here now. Whole house is shaking in the gusts

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail. It was a non event here in Cork city. That said down south people lost their lives in a large weather event last year. Its drama on a boards weather thread but peoples lives are at risk.

Keep safe Graces7

I love these threads.

Post #323 - Its a gale, get over it, this red status stuff needs to stop.
    Post #327 - Had to clear 3 trees off the road to get home.

Weather is not bad in my area ergo, its not bad in every area. How do you argue with that level of logic?

Some strong gusts here in Dublin 18.

P.S. posters, please dont state what its like in your area and then don't mention where you are. County at least, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,054 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I love these threads.

Post #323 - Its a gale, get over it, this red status stuff needs to stop.
    Post #327 - Had to clear 3 trees off the road to get home.

Weather is not bad in my area ergo, its not bad in every area. How do you argue with that level of logic?

Some strong gusts here in Dublin 18.

P.S. posters, please dont state what its like in your area and then don't mention where you are. County at least, please.

West of Cork city..it's a bit windy/very breezy. A bit of rain.
    No power outages, no trees down, no emergency.

It reminds me of what would be referred to as a windy day (in the 80's)

Personally I believe that social media platforms are over hyping weather events in order to get more clicks.

Yes. Some areas are badly affected by storm Hannah, but reports of twigs and branches on the road are hardly cathoclism events.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭tiegan

mikeecho wrote: »
    West of Cork city.

Personally I believe that social media platforms are over hyping weather events in order to get more clicks.

Yes. Some areas are badly affected by storm Hannah, but reports of twigs and branches on the road are hardly cathoclism events.

Well as someone who has to drive all night for their job in South Tipp, our local social media were brilliant at keeping me updated on local road closures due to "twigs" on the roads. At least six local roads in my area are currently closed.
    This was definitely Orange warning territory for us, the worst it has been since Darwin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Winds picking up now.

mikeecho wrote: »
    West of Cork city..it's a bit windy/very breezy. A bit of rain.
    No power outages, no trees down, no emergency.

It reminds me of what would be referred to as a windy day (in the 80's)

I find it hilarious that you quoted my post and then demonstrated what I was saying. 13,000 homes currently without power across the country but you're ok because it's just breezy in your neck of the woods.

Did you mean cataclysmic? I don't know what cathoclism is..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Winds finally died down here. Near silence almost deafening atm after the banshee noise last night. Occasional gusts still incoming. Havn't checked the damage yet ...

North Cork / limerick border

Current ESB outage Map

2zkm3f.jpg

Wild wild night . . still raging and set to do so a while yet .

I went out at the back ( facing north onto the ocean) to see the maelstrom, which is deeply impressive, and dared to check my vegetable patch which is devastated. The wind would still flay the skin off your face.

It reminded me. When I lived on a North Sea island, there was always a terrible gale late May, beginning of June. Every year, and they called it the "gab of May"... it blasted gardens, wrecked all it touched, for 2-3 days and sometimes swept the seabirds nests off the cliffs.

What on earth? a great crash overhead. Something hit the roof hard at the back. Been out and cannot see anything!
    chmney etc looks intact

Anyways, is this, like that Northern event each year, starting to set a pattern here?

Just a thought to leave you with... Hope all are safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,761 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I don't know what cathoclism is..

The opposite of an Orange weather warning?

• Advertisement

gozunda wrote: »
    Winds finally died down here. Near silence almost deafening atm after the banshee noise last night. Occasional gusts still incoming. Havn't checked the damage yet ...

North Cork / limerick border

Current ESB outage Map

2zkm3f.jpg
    Ours was back at 3am
    Remarkable work by the ESB here
    Currently only 30k or so homes out according to RTE,it could have been a lot worse!

Advertisement