Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Hannah : Fri 26 - Sat 27 April 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Was wet and windy through the night in Dublin 16, woke me a few times which is rare. Still windy now, hope it goes away soon enough, I've a trampoline to errect

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Calmed down a lot here now in Mid Kerry .. just been out for a walk and even though its still a bit breezy .. quite calm in comparison to last night ..apart from having to dive for cover due to a heavy hail shower ..

Strongest wind we had was 98.1kmh around 19:20 last night

I have attached some details from my weather station and you can see quite easily as the main part of the storm arrives (pressure drops, winds increase and so does the rainfall)

p4eRx0Q

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Swellan

Cavan Town

Overnight rain has stopped. And the sun is peeking out. But winds are picking up again now with a few stronger gusts.

Just a few overturned plant pots from any overnight wind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Highest gust at my Arklow station was 95kmh
    Quite a lot of gusts near 90 from midnight to 3am

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭jackboy

Still quite windy in west Clare but the worst is over. One ferocious gust after 21:00 last night took the power out. There was definitely a period of time last night when it would have been dangerous to be outside. The red warning between 20:00 and 23:00 last night was accurate imo.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

All my pink cherry blossom flowers came down during the night. Absolute catastrophe, I dont know why I bother...
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭bfclancy

All my pink cherry blossom flowers came down during the night. Absolute catastrophe, I dont know why I bother...
    they were due to come down anyway storm or no storm, if thats your idea of a catastrophe!!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Not denigrating anyone elses experience but here in Cork City it was a damp squib. Chilly enough now but the sun is bating down. Lovely morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,929 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

My potted bay tree blew over and fell off the deck! I need an airlift and rescue crews immediately! I was going to make a stew today as well! :(

Hope those in the centre of this storm came through it safely. Thanks for all the informative posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

froog wrote: »
    ffs a gale, nothing more. this storm hysteria has to stop.

depends what part of the country you were in...if you were in east clare last night you wouldn't be saying that, sounded like a full blown hurricane..i was genuinely worried at one stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Highest wind gust my station recorded in Galway was 58 mph.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

froog wrote: »
    ffs a gale, nothing more. this storm hysteria has to stop.

You must not live near the coast, it was a bit frightening at times, house internal doors noising, and big window threatening to give way, but am thankful no damage or very little

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

jvan wrote: »
    A local road near had a number of trees fall between 2-3pm during Ophelia. There is primary school on this road and its also used to get to other schools. Had there been no red warning that day there is a high possibility that there would have been injury or worse loss of life.
    This was in Wicklow which didn't even get the brunt of that storm. Its easy to knock warnings but they do save lifes.

Better to be safe than sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

The highest recorded gust yesterday was at Mace Head 122 kmh .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

lolie wrote: »
    Feels weird reading all about violent gusts and power outages yet there's not even a breeze blowing here.
    S cavan.
    I don't south Cavan was even in the orange zone, but it was ferocious here on the extreme south west coast, just happy it was just yard lights that were flung in the wind and that they did not come through the windows in the process

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

We got away with it in cobh last night. Nothing too bad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Why is there always one idiot who says stuff like this?
    What he says I agree with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

Because he is right. It was completely overhyped. Not a single gust recorded above the 130kph threshold for a red warning that I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭banjolin

Never ceases to amaze me how the weather Muppets queue up to tell us all how we should stop being concerned about these non-event storms based solely on what has happened within their own square mile. Those of us who rely on such information to prevent actual damage and to make preparation for power outages etc. are certainly glad to get the heads up even if the weather forecasters err on the side of caution. As for this being a non event anyone in South Tipp and Waterford could certainly testify otherwise, even just based on the number of fallen trees, any one of which could have killed someone if people were out and about. Certainly social media contributes to the hype around weather events but it is also a very helpful resource for those of us who can filter the ****e (and ****e hawks) out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

If the models snow 140-160km/h winds, and if they all show it and agree on it, what do you want ME to do? Say "oh no let's not issue warnings here, sure this will end up as 110km/h only" only for the models to be right, people out driving and getting squashed by falling trees. We don't know if the warnings saved a life tonight and stopped somebody from going out to where they were going.

There was some very strong gusts throughout the day in my part of cork city and there are other people in the city and close to the city who have said there was so it wasn't a damp squib down here, maybe in your part but not in every part of the city and county. Again I'm 2.6km As the crow flies from the airport so I get what that get but there was reports from rochestown etc aswell. Think the max was around 60kts by me.

Carlow weather showed us some stations in Clare where the red warning was actually for aka west Clare which showed gusts over 140km/h. Met E doesn't have official stations in the west of the county and only in the north east of the county really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

jasper100 wrote: »
    Because he is right. It was completely overhyped. Not a single gust recorded above the 130kph threshold for a red warning that I can see.

Surely if it was strong enough for many trees to be blown down, it was safer that people were warned to stay off the roads. Without a red warning people would probably be out in it and then someone would be killed and everyone would be giving out why wasn't there a red warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭Tefral

Mental here in East Clare, trees down all over the roads.

It sheered the conduit for my mobile phone booster clean off. Debris all over the road and around my house.

I have a loose slate too, noticed it rattling last night inside the house. Must investigate with the ladder in a bit.

Lucky enough we didnt lose any Electricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

reminds of "Alice in Wonderland"....

“Speak roughly to your little boy
    and beat him when he sneezes!
    he only does it to annoy,
    because he knows it teases!”

― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Some strong gusts still going through Carlow, actually didn't expect the battering we got!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

Mrsmum wrote: »
    Surely if it was strong enough for many trees to be blown down, it was safer that people were warned to stay off the roads. Without a red warning people would probably be out in it and then someone would be killed and everyone would be giving out why wasn't there a red warning.

Not sure what your point is? It was only an orange warning in tipp and cork which is where people are reporting trees down.

So in the areas where trees fell nobody died anyway, despite it not being a red warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Not sure what your point is? It was only an orange warning in tipp and cork which is where people are reporting trees down.

So in the areas where trees fell nobody died anyway, despite it not being a red warning.

Plenty of trees down all over roads in Clare. Should they not have had the red warning?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

legalistic **** using hindsight which has no place in forecasting,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭green123

Wind speeds did not reach red warning levels.

A few areas were in the middle of orange.

Why all the hype?

Most people are starting to ignore these warnings now because they are turning out to be non events.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Forewarned is forearmed. Big thank you to the technical posters here for the charts and analysis. Glad to get time to to tie things down and prepare. From the south coast perspective we were lucky it shifted slightly north. Not so lucky for Kerry/Clare. Ophelia has us all well trained in the prep for a wind event now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭green123

Plenty of trees down all over roads in Clare. Should they not have had the red warning?

No they should not have had a red warning, because the winds were nowhere near red level. Simple as that

Advertisement