Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,769 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ulster Says No. It will never happen
    ???

You don't actually know why he was killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,198 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

eagle eye wrote: »
    You don't actually know why he was killed.

He could have been killed for any reason, yes. The claim has been made it was ethnic cleansing...that doesn't stack up if you lived here, there are many Protestant farms and businesses here that worked away through the conflict/war.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭downcow

armaghlad wrote: »
    What’s the evidence the IRA ever wanted to drive unionists off this island?

97% of attacks by IRA in my predominantly nationalist town were directed at unionists. The 3% at nationalists were just bits of housekeeping. Fairly emphatic evidence

replicated in town after town.
    ....and I would never deny or condone the equally horrible attacks by the UFF and the likes against catholics and the driving them out of areas for no reason other than their religion and the perceived threat

downcow wrote: »
    97% of attacks by IRA in my predominantly nationalist town were directed at unionists. The 3% at nationalists were just bits of housekeeping. Fairly emphatic evidence

Emphatic evidence that Unionists were the obstacle to equality. Not evidence of ethnic cleansing however.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

30-40 years
    downcow wrote: »
    97% of attacks by IRA in my predominantly nationalist town were directed at unionists.

Protestants civilian (not employed in the paramilitary Crown forces) were the least likely demographic to be killed during the Troubles.

That's is an inconvenient fact for your persecution narrative.

• Advertisement

Protestants civilian (not employed in the paramilitary Crown forces) were the least likely demographic to be killed during the Troubles.
    But lots of innocent people and kids were killed by the IRA.

But lots of innocent people and kids were killed by the IRA.

All sides killed innocents. The British army killed 18 children that we know about, most of them early in conflict/war, exacerbating it. Nobody has a clean slate on this. Innocent people die in conflict/war, that is why it should be avoided at all costs.

All sides killed innocents. The British army killed 18 children that we know about, most of them early in conflict/war, exacerbating it. Nobody has a clean slate on this. Innocent people die in conflict/war, that is why it should be avoided at all costs.
    But it wasn't a war. These people were sneaking around killing people, many innocent. It's not like they were an army with a barracks and broadcasting their intended targets.
    I'm not excusing the deeds carried out by Unionist paramilitaries or the British army or the RUC.
    Fact of the matter is that they were all scumbags and murderers. Anybody that says any different is just like them.

But it wasn't a war. These people were sneaking around killing people, many innocent. It's not like they were an army with a barracks and broadcasting their intended targets.
    I'm not excusing the deeds carried out by Unionist paramilitaries or the British army or the RUC.
    Fact of the matter is that they were all scumbags and murderers. Anybody that says any different is just like them.

So if they built barracks it would have been ok?

Whatever you want to call them, it happened and we have to rebuild society or it will happen again.

So if they built barracks it would have been ok?
    At least they would have been up front about it.
    Whatever you want to call them, it happened and we have to rebuild society or it will happen again.
    What would it happen again? There's no paramilitary forces at work on either side I thought?
    The RUC is gone. Are the British army still there?

• Advertisement

What would it happen again? There's no paramilitary forces at work on either side I thought?

There doesn't need to be paramilitaries at work.
    Any number of things could cause unrest. A disastrous Brexit, the GFA being broken or ignored, a belligerent unionist 'not remaining peaceful' campaign against a UI that the British and Irish governments fail to take responsibility for again etc etc.

30-40 years
    Fact of the matter is that they were all scumbags and murderers.

Really? When they fought gun battles with the British Army you think that was just scumbags? What would you have done? Pissed yourself and hid in a cupboard?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_at_Springmartin

You really are utterly clueless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

15-20 years

There are paramilitary forces in existence on both sides. If you're not aware of this, perhaps you should take a step back from the conversation until you at least know the basics. New IRA/Saoradh as a Republican example, and UVF running East Belfast's drug trade on the Loyalist side.

There are also multiple battalions of the British Army stationed in NI numbering in the thousands, along with reserve forces.....so you're one for four, Eagle Eye.

There doesn't need to be paramilitaries at work. Any number of things could cause unrest. A disastrous Brexit, the GFA being broken or ignored, a belligerent unionist 'not remaining peaceful' campaign against a UI that the British and Irish governments fail to take responsibility for again etc etc.
    Well if it's that easy to set off then nobody up there is ready for a UI.
    Really? When they fought gun battles with the British Army you think that was just scumbags? What would you have done? Pissed yourself and hid in a cupboard?
    Cherry picking is what you are at here. Lots of innocent victims and children killed the the IRA scumbags.
    I never his from anything in my life but the last option is violence and I'd only turn to that for my family.
    You really are utterly clueless.
    I'm a lot smarter and more intelligent than you.
    Fionn1952 wrote:
    There are paramilitary forces in existence on both sides. If you're not aware of this, perhaps you should take a step back from the conversation until you at least know the basics. New IRA/Saoradh as a Republican example, and UVF running East Belfast's drug trade on the Loyalist side.
    Does this not break the GFA? Or is it only the PIRA that does that by reforming?
    Fionn1952 wrote:
    There are also multiple battalions of the British Army stationed in NI numbering in the thousands, along with reserve forces.....so you're one for four, Eagle Eye.
    I asked if the British army were still there, I never said be they were or be were not.

30-40 years
    Cherry picking is what you are at here.

Cherry-picking is exactly how you get your news media served to you, but that seems to have gone over your head. Are you aware of the Section 31 media censorship and the chilling effect that had?
    the last option is violence and I'd only turn to that for my family.

And if they kicked in your door and threw your Dad into an internment camp you'd have just said prayers?

How do you think people in the north felt when the British Army were shooting them? How do you think people felt when the BA/RUC were raiding their neighbourhoods in an attempt to disarm them after what they'd experienced at the hands of Unionists?

Sure you are. You're a veritable font of information and critical analysis.

15-20 years

Christ, the reek of desperation off this is painful

Does this not break the GFA? Or is it only the PIRA that does that by reforming?

Care to point the part of the GFA that is invalidated by the existence of illegal organisations out to me?

I asked if the British army were still there, I never said be they were or be were not.

Your implication was obvious, whether you care to admit it or not. Either way, taken at face value, now that your, 'question' has been answered.....so what?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

20-30 years
    Eagle Eye is a Republican don't forget.

15-20 years
    Eagle Eye is a Republican don't forget.

He could be the head of the UVF or the New IRA for all I care, his statement was self-evidently incorrect, regardless of his politics.

I certainly wasn't holding up the existence of either organisation as a positive, I'm just shocked that someone with such strong opinions on the North is unaware of their existence...

20-30 years
    Fionn1952 wrote: »
    He could be the head of the UVF or the New IRA for all I care, his statement was self-evidently incorrect, regardless of his politics.

I certainly wasn't holding up the existence of either organisation as a positive, I'm just shocked that someone with so much supposed opinion on the North is unaware of their existence...

I'm sorry Fionn.

You missed the argument last week where Eagle Eye went on and on and on for pages about being a Republican because he was pro-Republic of Ireland. Constantly trying to redefine this word for some reason rather than accept that he's a Partitionist. Which he also tried to narrowly redefine.

It was interesting in the context of him being ever so SMRT.

Fionn1952 wrote:
    Your implication was obvious, whether you care to admit it or not. Either way, taken at face value, now that your, 'question' has been answered.....so what?
    You picked up an implication from a question. Well done you, I don't have a rolly eyes on the app.

• Advertisement

Cherry-picking is exactly how you get your news media served to you, but that seems to have gone over your head. Are you aware of the Section 31 media
    You were cherry picking.

I'm well aware of what happened up there and I already said that no side was Innocent.
    My point was about innocent people and kids being killed by scumbags. And the scumbags that assassinated Gerry McCabe, rumoured to be on the orders of a politician. They got out under the GFA which was an absolute disgrace and made a mockery of the whole process.

20-30 years
    @Fionn

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=113486727#post113486727

From post #9172 on. It's a remarkable read. Himself and RedGirl were on top form.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

30-40 years
    You were cherry picking.

I'm well aware of what happened up there and I already said that no side was Innocent.
    My point was about innocent people and kids being killed by scumbags. And the scumbags that assassinated Gerry McCabe, rumoured to be on the orders of a politician. They got out under the GFA which was an absolute disgrace and made a mockery of the whole process.

no side was innocent but regardless you'll complain about one side of the conflict. debating with the likes of yourself is a waste of time because you have no understanding of the pressures people were under. nor do you care by the sounds of it

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

20-30 years
    When reunification comes about as it inevitably will, I actually believe that a huge sense of relief and a new chapter opening will be one of it's outcomes.

maccored wrote:
    no side was innocent but regardless you'll complain about one side of the conflict. debating with the likes of yourself is a waste of time because you have no understanding of the pressures people were under. nor do you care by the sounds of it
    They killed kids off the coast of Sligo in the Republic of Ireland, they assassinated a Garda in Adare in the Republic of Ireland. There was no RUC, no British Army and no Unionist paramilitaries in the Republic of Ireland.
    dd973 wrote:
    When reunification comes about as it inevitably will, I actually believe that a huge sense of relief and a new chapter opening will be one of it's outcomes.
    A huge sense of relief for Unionists?

20-30 years

A huge sense of relief for Unionists?

You do realise that for nearly 100 years the unionists have had what they wanted.

At no point has unionism made the North welcoming to the other half of the population who don't want to be part of the UK.

Unionism had its chance. And still, with a UI staring them down, they continue to make the north a cold place for their fellow Ulstermen.

It's up to unionists to sell NI and the UK as a positive thing for Nationalists. Not just when a border poll is in the offing, but now.

When a border poll arrives they will still have a chance to sell the status quo to Nationalists.

They won't take it. It's not in their make up.

They won't take it. It's not in their make up.
    The hate for Unionists is veyy evident in you. There's plenty in the north like that. There's no way a UI works out as long as things are like that. Hopefully it won't ever be ratified until both sides up there learn to become one people.

20-30 years
    The hate for Unionists is veyy evident in you. There's plenty in the north like that. There's no way a UI works out as long as things are like that. Hopefully it won't ever be ratified until both sides up there learn to become one people.

The hatred for beligerent unionists is evident.

But you refuse to acknowledge the difference.

Also noted how you didn't refute anything I said either. Typical Partitionist whataboutery edit/tactic.

Everything you said was full of hate for Unionists. There was no need to pick out the little bits of your post.
    You don't understand the word whataboutery either.
    I've already explained to you what the word partitionist means but you keep using it incorrectly too.

• Advertisement

20-30 years
    Everything you said was full of hate for Unionists. There was no need to pick out the little bits of your post.
    You don't understand the word whataboutery either.
    I've already explained to you what the word partitionist means but you keep using it incorrectly too.

So you're going to runaway because you can't refute it.

Nothing I said regarding Unionism's attitude for a century is inaccurate. You don't need to pick out little bits. It's all there.

Pick out the hate please?

You're not a Partitionist right? You're a Republican?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement