Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67,518 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

What do you mean "you guys"? We are all irish

And because Arlene had to accept that, NI's figures aren't as bad as they could easily have been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    Blaming, 'The English' is absolutely idiotic, but I certainly blame Westminster for the poor initial response and the current total lack of clarity my family in the North are experiencing throughout this crisis.

There's enough blame left over to criticise Stormont, but ultimately the strategic decisions around CoVid-19 are being made in Westminster. Having two seriously immunocompromised parents, it's one I'm quite sensitive about.

As much as I'm fond of an aul moan about Leo Varadkar and Simon Harris, ultimately my parents have been kept safer by following their advice rather than Boris Johnson.

A dislike or distrust of the British government doesn't mean I have a problem with the average person on the streets in England.

Scotland and Wales and England all ran similar but different response to COVID

The blame lies with DUP and Sinn Fein for the Covid-19 response and lack of clarity. They are responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭downcow

I was slated by some on here for pointing out that Sinn Fein are still controlled by shadowy figures in the ira army council. I was told nonsense and there is no evidence.
    Here’s a wee piece this morning worth reading for anyone who thinks Sinn Fein is a normal political party.
    I still am baffled how any right thinking person can give their vote to such a party
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.newsletter.co.uk/news/politics/top-republicans-gave-identical-written-answers-rhi-inquiry-wont-say-if-they-conferred-2866789%3famp

downcow wrote: »
    I was slated by some on here for pointing out that Sinn Fein are still controlled by shadowy figures in the ira army council. I was told nonsense and there is no evidence.
    Here’s a wee piece this morning worth reading for anyone who thinks Sinn Fein is a normal political party.
    I still am baffled how any right thinking person can give their vote to such a party
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.newsletter.co.uk/news/politics/top-republicans-gave-identical-written-answers-rhi-inquiry-wont-say-if-they-conferred-2866789%3famp

So 'shadowy figures' that were enough out of the shadows to be asked to give evidence?

What was 'shadowy' about them?
    There were people attached to all parties that were asked to give evidence..advisers, SPADs etc.

Just because you use the word 'shadowy' doesn't make them that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

30-40 years
    An Army Council without an army, and supposedly defeated but still wielding power, the bizarre mind of siege unionism on display for all to witness.

As for 'right thinking' people, the centuries old bigotry is never far from the surface with Unionists. As Gerry Fitt said, before the Provos even existed, Paisley just says what an awful lot of 'liberal' unionists think behind closed doors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭downcow

An Army Council without an army, and supposedly defeated but still wielding power, the bizarre mind of siege unionism on display for all to witness.

As for 'right thinking' people, the centuries old bigotry is never far from the surface with Unionists. As Gerry Fitt said, before the Provos even existed, Paisley just says what an awful lot of 'liberal' unionists think behind closed doors.

So i take it that is another denial from you? Surprise surprise
    .....and there is no contradiction in the IRA being defeated on its objective of driving my community off this island , while still holding power over Sinn Fein.
    The evidence for both are fairly clear

• Registered Users Posts: 37,866 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ulster Says No. It will never happen
    What's your thoughts on Gerry Adams?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

10-15 years
    downcow wrote: »
    So i take it that is another denial from you? Surprise surprise
    .....and there is no contradiction in the IRA being defeated on its objective of driving my community off this island , while still holding power over Sinn Fein.
    The evidence for both are fairly clear
    What’s the evidence the IRA ever wanted to drive unionists off this island?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Brits out Brits out Brits out Brits out was always the Republican mantra during the Troubles . . .

+ bombing multiple Protestant owned businesses, therefore destroying the NI economy over several decades. Destroy the British way of life, destroy their business, destroy their link with Britain, and while you're at it, mount a border campaign of murder, killing the male offspring of the British/Unionist tradition...

That's how I remember it being reported.

15-20 years
    Brits out Brits out Brits out Brits out was always the Republican mantra during the Troubles . . .

+ bombing multiple Protestant owned businesses, therefore destroying the NI economy over several decades. Destroy the British way of life, destroy their business, destroy their link with Britain, and while you're at it, mount a border campaign of murder, killing the male offspring of the British/Unionist tradition...

Whats the british way of life?

Only thing they are known for colonizing,robbing and terroriseing near on the whole world

• Advertisement

Whats the british way of life?
    Only thing they are known for colonizing,robbing and terroriseing near on the whole world
    Are they not known for good manners and customs worldwide?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

eagle eye wrote: »
    and jellied eels and singing Knees up Mother Brown during the Blitz

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

30-40 years

I say old chap would you like to go to the Caribbean Islands? We have wonderful opportunities for you and your family there. Just slip on these chains and head over to the ship there and we'll see you in a couple of weeks for you new life.

Tally ho!

slave-ship.jpg?itok=wFNgLw6P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

20-30 years

Were you reading the Daily Mail or The Newsletter?

jm08 wrote: »

Irish Times, Irish Independent, Irish Press, Evening press, RTE, BBC, UTV, just the usual suspects back in the day. They all covered the Troubles up North.

The BBC and RTE have done several reports during the Troubles on the Provo border campaign.

jm08 wrote: »

That border campaign was a bit of a failure. :)

I disagree, many farms & farmlands have now changed hands from Unionist to Republican. You can't deny the "greening" of the border counties.

Downcow might expand on this, as I've only witnessed this from afar through the media.

I disagree, many farms & farmlands have now changed hands from Unionist to Republican. You can't deny the "greening" of the border counties.

Downcow might expand on this, as I've only witnessed this from afar through the media.

He'll probably quote the oft repeated one that happened a few miles from where I am sitting. He has before anyhow.
    It is part of Unionist mythmaking on this 'ethnic cleansing' tosh.

the man in question had been warned several times not to deal with security forces and he ignored it.

Not condoning that he was shot for that, but it wasn't cause the 'RA wanted his property or he and his family gone.

the man in question had been warned several times not to deal with security forces and he ignored it.

Not condoning that he was shot for that, but it wasn't cause the 'RA wanted his property or he and his family gone.
    The fact that you bring it up and dismiss it is shocking.

The fact that you bring it up and dismiss it is shocking.

What?

The fact that people are still talking about a mythical ethnic cleansing campaign is what is shocking.

• Advertisement

The fact that people are still talking about a mythical ethnic cleansing campaign is what is shocking.
    What?
    How do you know it wasn't?

How do you know it wasn't?

Because I live on the border and if it was a campaign of ethnic cleansing, it was a pathetic failure.

Like the accusations downcow likes to make about the treatment of protestants after independence, if protestants disappeared along the border it was for different reasons.

The same reasons why Catholics tended to move and group together in times of conflict. Was the influx of Catholics to the south in '69 ethnic cleansing? No, it wasn't, not in any policy driven way anyhow.

Because I live on the border and if it was a campaign of ethnic cleansing, it was a pathetic failure.
    This doesn't mean that in one specific case that it wasn't about the land.

He owned a shop.

He owned a shop.
    Well the shop then.

Well the shop then.

And had been warned about supplying the security forces. What happened to him happened to Catholics or Protestants.

Horrible and tragic but not ethnic cleansing. Other Protestant businesses were not attacked and are still there today.

15-20 years

Surely burning entire streets of catholics out in likes of bombay street and same attempted again in likes of the short strand,is a easier less laboured example of ethnic cleansing??

15-20 years

Surely burning entire streets of catholics out in likes of bombay street and same attempted again in likes of the short strand,is a easier less laboured example of ethnic cleansing??

Horrible and tragic but not ethnic cleansing.
    You don't know that. You don't know if it was about the shop either even it wasn't ethnic cleansing.

• Advertisement

You don't know that. You don't know if it was about the shop either even it wasn't ethnic cleansing.

???

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement