Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,769 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ulster Says No. It will never happen
    Hmmmmm strange they can’t get next to near being elected into govt, so it is.
    They have more seats than any other political party.
    Seems to be a fair auld bang off them still, it would appear.
    I think that's pretty much gone in the Republic, I think it went with Adams and Ferris.
    Bit of background some people appear to think, can’t blame them, in fairness, stuff down in Waaaherfurd would certainly shake folk up .
    Is this the Cullinane thing? Itscminir enough.

Now before you respond, I'm not, never was and I don't think I ever will be a SF supporter and I'll never vote for them.
    The reason I'm responding is because your post is a pile of crap imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,198 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Hmmmmm strange they can’t get next to near being elected into govt, so it is.

Seems to be a fair auld bang off them still, it would appear.

Bit of background some people appear to think, can’t blame them, in fairness, stuff down in Waaaherfurd would certainly shake folk up .

Being the lead party in the last election was 'pretty near' Brendan.
    Next time they may get even nearer.

And I will have a wager with you that once they cross that Rubicon it will be like they were always here and the high moral grounders will disappear and become like those FF and FGers who quickly forgot the nasty and horrible things done in their time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

eagle eye wrote: »
    They have more seats than any other political party.

I think that's pretty much gone in the Republic, I think it went with Adams and Ferris.

Is this the Cullinane thing? Itscminir enough.

Now before you respond, I'm not, never was and I don't think I ever will be a SF supporter and I'll never vote for them.
    The reason I'm responding is because your post is a pile of crap imo.

The usual "I'm not a Sinn Fein supporter but" line

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Edgware wrote: »
    "Gorilla" Was there an attack on the zoo?

Well aren’t you a clever clogs. Not so clever though to read between the lines and work out what word was intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Well aren’t you a clever clogs. Not so clever though to read between the lines and work out what word was intended.
    Answer the question. Was there an attack on the gorillas?

• Advertisement

15-20 years

He's only flaming trying to get the thread shut down.

He is actually quiet poor at it too,noone buys his rubbish going about zoo,only himself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

He's only flaming trying to get the thread shut down.

He is actually quiet poor at it too,noone buys his rubbish going about zoo,only himself

How many people now have you accused of “flaming”?

15-20 years
    Redgirl82 wrote: »
    How many people now have you accused of “flaming”?

Well,sure truth hurts....if this bothers you,you need to look.into mirror or examine your post habits

That lad thinks talking about spelling/zoo is relevent to an irish unity thread,perhaps you can outline the relevence,of these??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

This just dis-ingenuousness again. Nobody has said SF are saviours.

All anyone has said is that SF are no different to what most other political parties were at one time or another on this island.

They are one of, if not the largest political parties democratically mandated on this island.
    Some people need to get over that.

They are in a power sharing in north with seemingly no power and will not be in government by looks of it in South

Not sure what makes them largest? But for the largest they have no political power, very poor showing from the leadership.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,350 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

jm08 wrote: »
    What about O'Tooles - doesn't that cater for places like Darndale?

Inverted snobbery!

I suggest you read the following and educate yourself to the reality.

https://www.buzz.ie/gaa/long-read-dublin-gaa-danger-leaving-working-class-behind-243759

https://www.independent.ie/life/lattes-and-lineballs-how-the-gaa-conquered-the-dublin-suburbs-38449303.html

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/o-neill-says-dublin-s-success-reflects-well-on-the-gaa-1.3377120

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/david-mcwilliams/comment-how-sliotar-replaced-the-rugby-ball-for-middle-class-35542860.html

It is not snobbery it is just a fact of life in Dublin. That is three separate publications above all stating the same thing. The GAA in Dublin has become a more of a middle class pursuit. Granted there are exceptions as I mentioned

The dogs on the street know that soccer is the number 1 sport in working class Dublin. And where do SF get thier votes from in Dublin? = the working class areas.
    Which teams do such working class people from Dublin say 'WE' to ? British teams.

And so the madness continues. Loss of culture so they have to try and seem Irish by being anti-partition it is a sham. As I have repeatedly said, many in working class Dublin more identify with British culture rather than Irish.
    Voting SF and claiming to be anti-partition is just a facade on thier part to seem Irish. It is the only limited expression of 'Irishness' they can think of.

Dear god, you have a problem with someone waving a tricolour at an election count in an Irish election?

In fairness, you don't see that many tricolours flying in Ireland. You will get some shock when you go to the States and see how many have US flags flying!

Exactly my point! SF is the only DE party who does it. In the USA thier are no paramilitary outsider associations with thier national flag. It has not been sullied by others. A better comparison would be the American Rebel flag - which became an embarrassment through association.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Answer the question. Was there an attack on the gorillas?

Why don’t you ask the poster? Have a banana while you wait.

I just wonder aside from the Brexit issue which is a good argument for unification of Ireland.
    Is there any other good arguement besides this?
    As it seems that most of the reasoning seems to be tied up in emotion rather than practicality. 800 years of oppression and so on.

Who is going to foot the security bill for a NI in the ROI? And who will have to pay for it in lives and in taxes?

Also it seems to be lost on people that the only time Ireland was ever united (in the form of state) was under the British.

Prior to this it was fiefdoms and Irish chieftains/ later Earls and so on.

How do people from Munster or Dublin (for example) think they have a right to claim the six counties of ulster as if is a birthright?

Cork is 293 miles from Belfast and Dublin is 105 miles from Belfast.
    Is this lust for unification of the island purely ideologically based or what?

How will unification effect and change the life of the average fella, from Cork and Dublin for the better?

Edgware wrote:
    I didn't defend them. Do you not understand that. As I said the only reason I responded to your post is because it's a pile of crap.
    They got more seats than anybody else in the last election. That coincided with the retirement of Adams and Ferris.
    I think their policies are crap, I'm against a United Ireland in the short and medium term future. That's all over this thread if you care to read.
    I just hate when someone comes in spouting horse manure. That's what you did. Whether I love, don't care about it or despise somebody or something I'll always pull somebody up that's talking crap.

15-20 years
    I just wonder aside from the Brexit issue which is a good argument for unification of Ireland.
    Is there any other good arguement besides this?
    As it seems that most of the reasoning seems to be tied up in emotion rather than practicality. 800 years of oppression and so on.

Who is going to foot the security bill for a NI in the ROI? And who will have to pay for in lives and in taxes?

Also it seems to be lost on people that the only time Ireland was ever united a form of state was under the British.

Prior to this it was fiefdoms and Irish chieftains/ later Earls and so on.

How do people from Munster or Dublin (for example) think they have a right to claim the six counties of ulster as if is a birthright?

Cork is 293 miles from Belfast and Dublin is 105 miles from Belfast.
    Is this lust for unification of the island purely ideologically based or what?

How will unification effect and change the live of the average fella, from Cork and Dublin for the better?

The coronavirus,wont be the last (3rd in last 20 years,1st to get here),the english cant be trusted to.act properly as regards lockdowns

Our lockdown is longer,deeper as a direct result of partition on our island,the cost of which is already running into 10s of billions,as an island nation we should done much better as regards this

.....too many of our citizens are dead over this in the 6 counties for them people ever to be forgiven

The coronavirus,wont be the last (3rd in last 2p years,1st to get here),the english cant be trusted to.act properly as regards lockdowns

Our lockdown is longer,deeper as a direct result of partition on our island,the cost of which is already running into 10s of billions,as an island nation we should done much better as regards this

.....too many of our citizens are dead over this in the 6 counties for them people ever to be forgiven

This is seriously your answer? Blaming the British for the covid19 virus? :eek:

There is already half the number dead from covid19 in the ROI as there was in the troubles. But to try and imply that 'the Brits' are at fault for 'covid19' is a stretch.

Plus many of those who died from covid19 in NI do not view themselves as Irish citizens. But you can forgive 'the Brits' for that as they are killing thier own?

Your logic seems very warped. Frightening even.
    Have you ever thought that if 1916 never happened and Ireland more gradually moved away from GB there would never have been partition?
    And you would now most likely be a very proud Irishman and a member of the commonwealth?

Who are you blaming for this? The UK or the Republic of Ireland?
    You are doing better deaths wise and infections wise than the Republic of Ireland.

15-20 years
    This is seriously your answer? Blaming the British for the covid19 virus? :eek:

There is already half the number dead from covid19 in the ROI as there was in the troubles. But to try and imply that 'the Brits' are at fault for 'covid19' is a stretch.

Plus many of those who died from covid19 in NI do not view themselves as Irish citizens. But you can forgive 'the Brits' for that as they are killing thier own?

Your logic seems very warped. Frightening even.
    Have you ever thought that if 1916 never happened and Ireland more gradually moved away from GB there would never have been partition?
    And you would now most likely be a very proud Irishman and a member of the commonwealth?

Nah mate...the brits delay has resulted in 100s of extra deaths on our island? (Nowhere have i said killing unionists is ok,but everyone born in ireland is irish,this may offend racists,but such is life)

But personally,i think violence has had it day,and its time for a border poll,the criteria laid out has been met to my mind

15-20 years
    Who are you blaming for this? The UK or the Republic of Ireland?
    You are doing better deaths wise and infections wise than the Republic of Ireland.

The brits are lying on their figures,the.excess deaths is north of 1000 last time i looked

(Tbf they are using same/similar metric to italy and their excess figure is horrific)

Nah mate...the brits delay has resulted in 100s of extra deaths on our island? (Nowhere have i said killing unionists is ok,but everyone born in ireland is irish,this may offend racists,but such is life)

you
    But personally,i think violence has had it day,and its time for a border poll,the criteria laid out has been met to my mind

Right so. It is more so a purely a kneejerk emotional response from you, I think. (you mention 1798 where your relatives being hung - before you edited it)

As you said violence has had its day.
    But do think that by even angling for a 'border poll' it would reignite violence?

Again as an average NI citizen do you think your life would improve day to day as a citizen in the ROI?
    Is it purely psychological? Purely on the republican mantra you have being rared on.

Is the change of the colour of postboxes and flags etc really going to vastly change your life (for the better) in a real practical sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

20-30 years

There's a lot I could say about Eagle Eye and lord knows I rarely agree with the man, but he is certainly no SF supporter.

That's not in doubt at all.

Do you have anything constructive to add or are you doing to do your usual, run in, make comment and run away schtick?

• Advertisement

20-30 years
    I didn't defend them. Do you not understand that. As I said the only reason I responded to your post is because it's a pile of crap.
    They got more seats than anybody else in the last election. That coincided with the retirement of Adams and Ferris.
    I think their policies are crap, I'm against a United Ireland in the short and medium term future. That's all over this thread if you care to read.
    I just hate when someone comes in spouting horse manure. That's what you did. Whether I love, don't care about it or despise somebody or something I'll always pull somebody up that's talking crap.

Fair is fair.

Your response to that poster was spot on.

15-20 years
    Right so. It is more so a purely a kneejerk emotional response from you, I think. (you mention 1798 where your relatives being hung - before you edited it)

As you said violence has had its day.
    But do think that by even angling for a 'border poll' it would reignite violence?

I edit for privacy purposes :)
    No....it really wont imo,this is overblown,even the uvf were looking to dublin for community advice around cv19 and themselves and uda told foster cop herself on

Time has run out on union,even the hardest unionist knows this

Is the change of the colour of postboxes and flags etc really going to vastly change your life (for the better) in a real practical sense?

I think NI has been left to rot tbh,the brits dont want,nor have a stragetic interest in it

Derry shouldnt be an unemployment blackspot,it should drive on its hinterlands econmically....unionists are never gonna agree to funnel money into it,anywhere west of bann is majority catholic at this stage,and gonna suffer stagantion under stormont (its been a complete failure)

Let lads fly whatever flags they want,its ian paisley tricouler protests of the late 50s and poisionious rethoric lit the embers of the troubles...

.but the better educational and welfare supports offer the best future for those who need it most,working class prods interests are best served in a utd ireland (ultimate irony,being those who stand to gain most lomg term by reunification,oppose it most)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

The coronavirus,wont be the last (3rd in last 20 years,1st to get here),the english cant be trusted to.act properly as regards lockdowns

But you can't blame the English for this pandemic or the deaths. All countries have borders so it doesn't matter if there's a border or not, the virus would still spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

15-20 years
    But you can't blame the English for this pandemic or the deaths. All countries have borders so it doesn't matter if there's a border or not, the virus would still spread.

Blaming, 'The English' is absolutely idiotic, but I certainly blame Westminster for the poor initial response and the current total lack of clarity my family in the North are experiencing throughout this crisis.

There's enough blame left over to criticise Stormont, but ultimately the strategic decisions around CoVid-19 are being made in Westminster. Having two seriously immunocompromised parents, it's one I'm quite sensitive about.

As much as I'm fond of an aul moan about Leo Varadkar and Simon Harris, ultimately my parents have been kept safer by following their advice rather than Boris Johnson.

A dislike or distrust of the British government doesn't mean I have a problem with the average person on the streets in England.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Talking of Varadkar & Harris, I think they have done a great job during this crisis, top marks to them✓

Talking of Varadkar & Harris, I think they have done a great job during this crisis, top marks to them✓
    There's hundred dead here because of their inaction early on.

20-30 years

There's thousands alive because we didn't hitch our wagon to the UK.

That is getting off the point though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,149 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Ummm..... those slates who went to Chelenham, lot of ‘prominent’ churns there,had nothing to do with it though.?

Same lot from the media, very quick to blame everyone else in hindsight.

There’s such a thing as personal responsibility,dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭downcow

There's thousands alive because we didn't hitch our wagon to the UK.

That is getting off the point though.

Those bad old Brits!
    Am I wrong that you guys in ROI allowed thousands of Italians into Dublin for a crazy weekend after Italy was having epidemic spread.
    I don't hear us Nordies blaming you guys for our people dying?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭droidman123

downcow wrote: »
    Those bad old Brits!
    Am I wrong that you guys in ROI allowed thousands of Italians into Dublin for a crazy weekend after Italy was having epidemic spread.
    I don't hear us Nordies blaming you guys for our people dying?

What do you mean "you guys"? We are all irish

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement