Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

20-30 years
    downcow wrote: »
    Firstly I have never even heard of Kevin Lynch let alone accuse him of murder. Maybe you post the link to where I did this.
    That aside. By your own evidence he was convinced of being a thief and beating up members of his own community. Sounds like the sort of guy you’d want to name your club after.

The Kevin Lynch GAA club seems to be the one club that gets demonised for being named after a Hunger Striker by such people as Gregory Campbell, Sammy Wilson and Jim Alister.
    As to you comment about why a chub shouldn’t be named after Jonny Adair, could you give me a sense where you draw the lines. Clearly theft is ok. Punishment beating own community is ok. Drug dealing is not ok. What about torture? Murder? Diesel laundering? Etc? I’d love to get my head around your moral compass

Motivation would be the key factor. I don't know how anyone would want to name anything after Johnny Adair. There is no way he would have gone on hunger strike for his political beliefs.

Perhaps you might see the difference between David Irvine and Johnny Adair. I'd have a lot of respect for David Irvine because he had his beliefs and was politically motivated. Johnny Adair was just a mass murderer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

20-30 years
    So we are back around full circle Francie. Tolerance is the issue. I have said pages ago that I don’t think unionists could care less what you call your gaara clubs or anything else for that matter. If your community could just show the same tolerance then we’d be flying.
    Unless someone says or does something illegal then they should be left alone. If you enjoy what they are at, then go join in or watch , if you have no interest then look the other way. This is at the very core of Presbyterian individuality It’s why almost all top sports people from Ni are from the Protestant community. Our young people are not funnelled into what their last generation want but rather encouraged to forge new furrows and try new things.
    I guess that has something to do with why our community displays a reasonable level of tolerance and the nationalist community struggles with diversity

With about 2,500 parades every year in Northern Ireland, its pretty hard to look the other way. Anecdotally it seems that Foreign Direct Investors are put off investing in Northern Ireland because the whole province goes doolally marching for a couple of months every year.

Em, I don't think Rory McIlroy hails from the Presbyterian community!Neither did Pat Jennings or Martin O'Neill.The Presbyterian community didn't produce a Nobel Prize winner in Literature either or world renowned actors like Liam Neeson.

Some pretty good GAA players came from Ulster. I'd recommend you watch the documentary about Crossmaglen GAA, one of the most successful GAA clubs of all time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2aCVpOCGFI

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Ulster Says No. It will never happen
    It’s why almost all top sports people from Ni are from the Protestant community.

Jesus Christ good sir but that’s a good one...

If you want to look at recent history and one of the finest footballers to come from the island in Roy Keane, how do you explain that one?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭downcow

jm08 wrote: »
    With about 2,500 parades every year in Northern Ireland, its pretty hard to look the other way. Anecdotally it seems that Foreign Direct Investors are put off investing in Northern Ireland because the whole province goes doolally marching for a couple of months every year.

Em, I don't think Rory McIlroy hails from the Presbyterian community!Neither did Pat Jennings or Martin O'Neill.The Presbyterian community didn't produce a Nobel Prize winner in Literature either or world renowned actors like Liam Neeson.

Some pretty good GAA players came from Ulster. I'd recommend you watch the documentary about Crossmaglen GAA, one of the most successful GAA clubs of all time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2aCVpOCGFI

You make my point for me. I agree there’s lots of great gaa players from ni but all other sports are dominated at the top level by Protestant community.
    I give it to you that Rory is the best golfer ever to come out of ni and yes you will struggle to find any other sport where the best came from the nationalist community as there is a robotic interest in gaa.
    ....and as for Rory, he was blessed that he grew up in a unionist community, went to state schools and had almost exclusively unionist friends as a kid. This opened up the opportunities to him. Had he grew up in a nationalist community, it’s safe to say he would have been a second rate gaa player and never heard of outside his parish.
    Football - best
    Athletics - Mary peters
    Snooker - Alex Higgins
    Road racing bikes - joey Dunlop
    F1 racing - arguable between Eddie Irvine / John Watson
    Rugby - long list to argue about but all prods
    Etc
    Etc

Nationalist community exceptions being horse racing

I am a great believer in young people getting as many opportunities to sample as many sorts of sports as possible
    There is just something worrying about young people being clones of their parents

Granadino wrote: »
    Jesus Christ good sir but that’s a good one...

If you want to look at recent history and one of the finest footballers to come from the island in Roy Keane, how do you explain that one?

I was referring to NI. I also said the best in each sport, not the occasional one to get near the top.
    I would say few people outside of Roi supporters and very keen English league followers would have heard of Roy Keane Compare him to George best

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭eire4

I was referring to NI. I also said the best in each sport, not the occasional one to get near the top.
    I would say few people outside of Roi supporters and very keen English league followers would have heard of Roy Keane Compare him to George best

Your either being disingenuous or you really do not know world football as Roy Keane was during his career one of best holding midfielders in the game and know throughout the world for that never mind the fact he was a star man at one of the biggest names in world football in Manchester United.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,129 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Best was popular as much because of his lifestyle (actually a full on drug and alcohol addiction in an age when these things could be seen as glamourous). As Bobby Charlton said, he didn't play long enough to be considered a real great.

Higgins threatened to have somebody shot by his mates from the Shankill. Yet another afflicted by dark demons and addictions.

Strange hero's/role models to be having.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

10-15 years
    Last few pages display a a terror of the incoming and inevitable.

This isn’t an Israel Palestine situation lads.

You’ll just be forgotten and ignored to carry out your little parades.

Nobody will care.

Probably afraid you’ll be treated the way catholics were in your heyday but we’re not that. We wouldn’t. You’re already an irrelevance within your own ‘country’. You’ll be nothing more than a whimsical oddity after the fact.

Stop placing so much importance on yourselves. Nobody really cares.

eire4 wrote: »
    Your either being disingenuous or you really do not know world football as Roy Keane was during his career one of best holding midfielders in the game and know throughout the world for that never mind the fact he was a star man at one of the biggest names in world football in Manchester United.

Apologies. I misread it and thought he was talking about Robbie Keane. Yes Roy has a huge career but he did not get near the heights of beckham best messi pele etc

Best was popular as much because of his lifestyle (actually a full on drug and alcohol addiction in an age when these things could be seen as glamourous). As Bobby Charlton said, he didn't play long enough to be considered a real great.

Higgins threatened to have somebody shot by his mates from the Shankill. Yet another afflicted by dark demons and addictions.

Strange hero's/role models to be having.

News to me that best was a drug addict?

• Advertisement

Runaways wrote: »
    Last few pages display a a terror of the incoming and inevitable.

This isn’t an Israel Palestine situation lads.

You’ll just be forgotten and ignored to carry out your little parades.

Nobody will care.

Probably afraid you’ll be treated the way catholics were in your heyday but we’re not that. We wouldn’t. You’re already an irrelevance within your own ‘country’. You’ll be nothing more than a whimsical oddity after the fact.

Stop placing so much importance on yourselves. Nobody really cares.

Well then stop blaming us for partition on the island and your aspiration to create an all island nation for the first time in history and get on with convincing ‘your own people’ who seemingly don’t want it.
    History is against you but I guess miracles happen.

...and role on the time when you have the confidence to just ignore our parades. And I trust my community will learn from you and develop the confidence to ignore you Irish road signs.

News to me that best was a drug addict?

I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to his sad demise, but didn't he die of a drug overdose and chronic liver failure?

I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to his sad demise, but didn't he die of a drug overdose and chronic liver failure?

Well unlike you, you will be aware he is still hero-worshipped at every Man U game and every NI game. He was a flawed genius. He was an alcoholic.
    No drugs as far as I am aware.

Well then stop blaming us for partition on the island and your aspiration to create an all island nation for the first time in history and get on with convincing ‘your own people’ who seemingly don’t want it.
    History is against you but I guess miracles happen.

...and role on the time when you have the confidence to just ignore our parades. And I trust my community will learn from you and develop the confidence to ignore you Irish road signs.

'Partition' ignored the wishes of the people downcow. (see YOUR history)

Well unlike you, you will be aware he is still hero-worshipped at every Man U game and every NI game. He was a flawed genius. He was an alcoholic.
    No drugs as far as I am aware.

Alcohol is a 'drug' downcow. You trying to sanitise again? :)

Interesting you would pick these two out as paragons of 'Presbyterian individuality'.

You make my point for me. I agree there’s lots of great gaa players from ni but all other sports are dominated at the top level by Protestant community.
    I give it to you that Rory is the best golfer ever to come out of ni and yes you will struggle to find any other sport where the best came from the nationalist community as there is a robotic interest in gaa.
    ....and as for Rory, he was blessed that he grew up in a unionist community, went to state schools and had almost exclusively unionist friends as a kid. This opened up the opportunities to him. Had he grew up in a nationalist community, it’s safe to say he would have been a second rate gaa player and never heard of outside his parish.
    Football - best
    Athletics - Mary peters
    Snooker - Alex Higgins
    Road racing bikes - joey Dunlop
    F1 racing - arguable between Eddie Irvine / John Watson
    Rugby - long list to argue about but all prods
    Etc
    Etc

Nationalist community exceptions being horse racing

I am a great believer in young people getting as many opportunities to sample as many sorts of sports as possible
    There is just something worrying about young people being clones of their parents

Is this just down to Catholics choosing to play the GAA, and Protestants choosing to play rugby, soccer, cricket etc? They're not good rugby players just because they are Protestant. They are good rugby players, because probably most of the people playing it in NI are Protestant.
    Would the motor cycle racing be cross community at all? Isn't it just the case that most people in NI won't sample different sports. They'll just sample what their parents did before them...?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

'Partition' ignored the wishes of the people downcow. (see YOUR history)

Would you check your history and give me any date in the last two 2,000 years when the Island of Ireland was united as one nation (except when the Brits sorted it for you)

Alcohol is a 'drug' downcow. You trying to sanitise again? :)

Interesting you would pick these two out as paragons of 'Presbyterian individuality'.

This is exactly what you said Francie "actually a full on drug and alcohol addiction" Speaks for itself really. Someday i trust you will just say, i was wrong, and not have to try and spin your way out of everything

Would you check your history and give me any date in the last two 2,000 years when the Island of Ireland was united as one nation (except when the Brits sorted it for you)

Not going down that rabbit-hole with you downcow.

Suffice to say..as an excuse to stall a border poll it will not figure for even a second.
    Your 'Presbyterianism makes better sportspeople' theory was more credible...and that is saying something. :)

• Advertisement

Granadino wrote: »
    Is this just down to Catholics choosing to play the GAA, and Protestants choosing to play rugby, soccer, cricket etc? They're not good rugby players just because they are Protestant. They are good rugby players, because probably most of the people playing it in NI are Protestant.
    Would the motor cycle racing be cross community at all? Isn't it just the case that most people in NI won't sample different sports. They'll just sample what their parents did before them...?

Your first point is exactly the point I am making. Most catholics in NI get very limited opportunities to try other sports. It is improving from the days when they would have been punished for participating in non GAA sports

This is exactly what you said Francie "actually a full on drug and alcohol addiction" Speaks for itself really. Someday i trust you will just say, i was wrong, and not have to try and spin your way out of everything

He died of a 'drug overdose'. I thought it was because he was addicted to them. Seems it was a accidental overdose of his medication.

No problem saying I was wrong.

You should be aware that alcohol is also a drug in the way he and Higgins used it.

Not going down that rabbit-hole with you downcow.

Has Francie ever answered a question for anyone on here - just curious

Your first point is exactly the point I am making. Most catholics in NI get very limited opportunities to try other sports. It is improving from the days when they would have been punished for participating in non GAA sports

They wouldn't have been 'excluded' at all? Like they were from education, housing and a fecking vote?

Please stop downcow...please stop embarrassing your whole community. This really isn't a good tactic.

They wouldn't have been 'excluded' at all? Like they were from education, housing and a fecking vote?

Please stop downcow...please stop embarrassing your whole community. This really isn't a good tactic.

So are you disagreeing with Garadano's recent post "Is this just down to Catholics choosing to play the GAA, and Protestants choosing to play rugby, soccer, cricket etc? They're not good rugby players just because they are Protestant. They are good rugby players, because probably most of the people playing it in NI are Protestant."
    Do you think prods are born better at all those sports? lol Thats a bit sectarian

Folks, Francie can't give us a single date during the last 2,000 years when this island was united as one nation (except under the force of the Brits)
    Can anyone help him out?? Surely there must have been one day in the last 2,000 years that enough people thought it was a good idea to have one Nation on this wee island. No?

So are you disagreeing with Garadano's recent post "Is this just down to Catholics choosing to play the GAA, and Protestants choosing to play rugby, soccer, cricket etc? They're not good rugby players just because they are Protestant. They are good rugby players, because probably most of the people playing it in NI are Protestant."
    Do you think prods are born better at all those sports? lol Thats a bit sectarian

I am disagreeing with your idiotic contention that Catholics in the north didn't play certain sports because they would have been punished for participating in non GAA sports

How deep in denial of your own history would you have to be to come to that conclusion?

The next thing you'll be telling us is that the only sports played in the south were GAA ones?

Jesus, in your defence I am assuming (I hope) you are on a cheap troll. Could anyone live in a bubble that thick?

Folks, Francie can't give us a single date during the last 2,000 years when this island was united as one nation (except under the force of the Brits)
    Can anyone help him out?? Surely there must have been one day in the last 2,000 years that enough people thought it was a good idea to have one Nation on this wee island. No?

'Folks' can find the other threads were you tried this bull**** and see where they went.

As I said, I ain't going down that rabbit hole and if you think it is relevant or will be relevant then you have another huge disappointment coming.

How do they get very limited opportunities to try other sports? Surely it's down to choice? They choose to play GAA, it's not that they can't play rugby. I am guessing...

• Advertisement

So the British rolled in to save the day and create "one nation"? :confused::confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement