Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

30-40 years
    https://www.facebook.com/william.frazer.58/videos/3241233682562367/

'We've been there in the UDR friends whenever the t[h]ramps stirred up trouble with the oul GAA marches'

Imagine coming home from a GAA match and that UDR man pulling your car over with his rifle on a cold night.

Scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

20-30 years
    Granadino wrote: »
    None, but do names of GAA clubs in the 26 counties offend Protestants from the south? Or from NI for that matter?

Just for the record, Jack Boothman was a protestant who was 31st President of the GAA in 1994 and was President of his local GAA club in Blessington. He was the GAA President when the ban was lifted on British security forces membership of the GAA. He opposed the opening up of Croke Park to Rugby and Soccer.

In rural Ireland, the GAA club is the centre of parish activity, so its likely that if protestant kids are involved in its local community they will be playing GAA.

20-30 years
    Sinbad_NI wrote: »
    Naming clubs and competitions after INLA and Provos makes it sectarian.
    How many protestants do you think that would attract in NI?

I'm not sure that it was sectarian - from what I recall, they were usually named after former club members who happened to be in the Provos/INLA.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,291 ✭✭✭✭downcow

jm08 wrote: »
    I'm not sure that it was sectarian - from what I recall, they were usually named after former club members who happened to be in the Provos/INLA.

More of the type of hypocrisy unionists have faced from northern nationalists and a good resin to fear a UI. jm08 thinks it’s fine to name a gaa club after a provo murderer member. How is this any different to naming the ni supporters club after Jonny mad dog Adair just because he was a member. And more importantly, why would your membership think that was a good idea?
    I would honestly say if a club was named after Jonny Adair I would feel catholics would need to have taken leave of their senses to take anything to do with it.

Help me here. Am I wrong??? Or is it a case of nationalists were made on mars and unionists were made on Venus?

• Registered Users Posts: 67,285 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

downcow wrote: »
    More of the type of hypocrisy unionists have faced from northern nationalists and a good resin to fear a UI. jm08 thinks it’s fine to name a gaa club after a provo murderer member. How is this any different to naming the ni supporters club after Jonny mad dog Adair just because he was a member. And more importantly, why would your membership think that was a good idea?
    I would honestly say if a club was named after Jonny Adair I would feel catholics would need to have taken leave of their senses to take anything to do with it.

Help me here. Am I wrong??? Or is it a case of nationalists were made on mars and unionists were made on Venus?

:):)

Unionists have been bringing the north to a standstill for centuries in order to celebrate a victory over catholics in 1690 FFS.

Look around you at how much symbolism celebrates your history downcow...including the aforementioned statue to the man who brought the gun back into Irish politics - the original 'terrorist' of the piece.

Are you willing to discuss taking all that down?

Or do you want to finally drop the 'poor us' 'victimisation' stuff and discuss ways to respectfully remember the dead?

• Advertisement

When I say loyalists I also mean unionists. The same way they call us all republicans.

Same thing for me anyway. If you’re bred to hate all things Irish, including the GAA, then just stay away from it.

:):)

Unionists have been bringing the north to a standstill for centuries in order to celebrate a victory over catholics in 1690 FFS.

Look around you at how much symbolism celebrates your history downcow...including the aforementioned statue to the man who brought the gun back into Irish politics - the original 'terrorist' of the piece.

Are you willing to discuss taking all that down?

Or do you want to finally drop the 'poor us' 'victimisation' stuff and discuss ways to respectfully remember the dead?

I didn’t need to look at your name to know it was you Francie.
    Question never ever answered = Francie

Anyone else got an answer to my question. I am honestly interested are our two cultures so different with regard to how we see terrorists?

When I say loyalists I also mean unionists. The same way they call us all republicans.

Same thing for me anyway. If you’re bred to hate all things Irish, including the GAA, then just stay away from it.

Well at least we can’t accuse you of not being an open book. You wear your sectarianism with pride on your sleeve.

Well at least we can’t accuse you of not being an open book. You wear your sectarianism with pride on your sleeve.

I do, and far too many of us are leaving it behind far too easily. When you have an enemy you don’t make it your goal to appease that enemy at any cost. Loyalists do far too much talking out of both sides of their mouths.

I didn’t need to look at your name to know it was you Francie.
    Question never ever answered = Francie

Anyone else got an answer to my question. I am honestly interested are our two cultures so different with regard to how we see terrorists?

Maybe stop asking the 'have you stopped beating your wife' style questions downcow and face up to yourself and your own behaviours as a community?

Do you wish to have a conversation on remembrance with respect for others or not?

Using emotive terms like 'terrorists' for one side is not having a 'conversation'.

One person's terrorist is another's protector.

• Advertisement

20-30 years

Can you list the GAA club names that are offensive to unionists please?

For the record, Kevin Lynch wasn't guilty of murder, so maybe it might be better not to keep claiming that he is. He died on hunger strike in the Maze seeking political status for republican prisoners. He had been captain of an underage team that won a club all-Ireland.

Johnny Adair was a violent, drug dealing thug who treated his own community nearly as badly as catholics. No comparision between the two.

You might find this article interesting on how the GAA stood when it came to the Troubles and support for nationalists in Northern Ireland during the hunger strike.

https://www.the42.ie/gaa-1981-hunger-strike-3469080-Jun2017/

*Lynch was tried, convicted and sentenced to ten years for stealing shotguns, taking part in a punishment shooting and conspiring to take arms from the security forces. He was sent to the Maze Prison in December 1977. He became involved with the blanket protest, joined the 1981 hunger strike at the Maze on 23 May 1981 and died 71 days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

20-30 years
    RobMc59 wrote: »
    I have a GAA hat for the team in the area my family originates from but was shocked to discover their playing ground is named after a former IRA chief of staff-hardly likely to attract anyone who has a problem with the IRA.

Can I ask what team is this that you refer to?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

10-15 years
    Can I ask what team is this that you refer to?

Donegal,the ground is named after Sean McCool.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

10-15 years
    Goodie goodie. Very strange timing though. While the headlines are dominated by covid

RHI Inquiry: The report due this week will not be a 'comfortable read'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-northern-ireland-51795791?__twitter_impression=true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

This lists some.

https://politics.ie/threads/gaa-the-masks-slips-yet-again.272237/

Others like the mcgirr campbell cup aren't listed.

Take what you want from that. Maybe that makes you proud.

However to claim they're not a sectarian is incorrect.

10-15 years
    This lists some.

I know absolutely nothing about de GAA despite being schooled in a gaelscoil but aren’t the naming of clubs after people simply cos they were from that parish? So not sectarian exactly

Runaways wrote: »
    I know absolutely nothing about de GAA despite being schooled in a gaelscoil but aren’t the naming of clubs after people simply cos they were from that parish? So not sectarian exactly

I think it's the very definition of sectarian.

10-15 years

You should look at a map of Dublin sometime.

Majority of streets are named after some toff Brit from ye olden days.

So......

20-30 years
    This lists some.

Its nothing to do with my pride, but a quick glance in that list are generally people who died on hunger strike in the Maze or were shot dead by British Army/SAS when perhaps they should have been arrested and given a fair trial. I'm not surprised that people in the local community want to mourne their dead. Its not as if there were any question marks over British denial of basic human rights to catholics/nationalists in Northern Ireland at the time.

20-30 years

Perhaps in the case of a UI, it would be appropriate to call all GAA clubs after the United Islanders (Robert Emmets, Wolfe Tones), or Roger Casements as they were all protestants.

• Advertisement

So......

I haven't noticed that at all, majority are named after Irish people I would think

20-30 years
    Donegal,the ground is named after Sean McCool.

Do you know anything about the man?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

10-15 years
    Do you know anything about the man?

Only what I've read on the internet which didn't paint him in a bad light tbh.

20-30 years
    Only what I've read on the internet which didn't paint him in a bad light tbh.

Civil War politics - he was an anti-fascist (Fine Gael Blue Shirts). The club was named after him as he was secretary when he died suddenly and he had raised the funds to buy a field for the club.

20-30 years
    bubblypop wrote: »
    I haven't noticed that at all, majority are named after Irish people I would think

Grafton, Lansdowne, Nassau*, Sackville Place, George's Street, Royal Dublin Society, Royal College of Surgeons for starters. Henry Street, Moore Street, Earl Street, and Drogheda Street all called after Henry Moore, 1st Earl of Drogheda.

*Lord Nassau said that it was a pity that not more Irish people died in the famine!

Can you list the GAA club names that are offensive to unionists please?

For the record, Kevin Lynch wasn't guilty of murder, so maybe it might be better not to keep claiming that he is. He died on hunger strike in the Maze seeking political status for republican prisoners. He had been captain of an underage team that won a club all-Ireland.

Johnny Adair was a violent, drug dealing thug who treated his own community nearly as badly as catholics. No comparision between the two.

*Lynch was tried, convicted and sentenced to ten years for stealing shotguns, taking part in a punishment shooting and conspiring to take arms from the security forces. He was sent to the Maze Prison in December 1977. He became involved with the blanket protest, joined the 1981 hunger strike at the Maze on 23 May 1981 and died 71 days later.

Firstly I have never even heard of Kevin Lynch let alone accuse him of murder. Maybe you post the link to where I did this.
    That aside. By your own evidence he was convinced of being a thief and beating up members of his own community. Sounds like the sort of guy you’d want to name your club after.

As to you comment about why a chub shouldn’t be named after Jonny Adair, could you give me a sense where you draw the lines. Clearly theft is ok. Punishment beating own community is ok. Drug dealing is not ok. What about torture? Murder? Diesel laundering? Etc? I’d love to get my head around your moral compass

So......

I'm sure at the time it was seen as such, to some extent anyway, although maybe in a lesser way to other things that were renamed after independence, e.g. police, anything with Royal in the name, etc.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/sectarian

Firstly I have never even heard of Kevin Lynch let alone accuse him of murder. Maybe you post the link to where I did this.
    That aside. By your own evidence he was convinced of being a thief and beating up members of his own community. Sounds like the sort of guy you’d want to name your club after.

As to you comment about why a chub shouldn’t be named after Jonny Adair, could you give me a sense where you draw the lines. Clearly theft is ok. Punishment beating own community is ok. Drug dealing is not ok. What about torture? Murder? Diesel laundering? Etc? I’d love to get my head around your moral compass

What about raising a private army and threatening the state, not to mention your fellow Irishmen and women downcow?

You can witter on about individual clubs remembering their dead but if you are not going to discuss all symbols and statuery and remembrance then I am sorry to say, this will get nowhere.

There is nothing 'hypocritical' about it when your community do it too.

What about raising a private army and threatening the state, not to mention your fellow Irishmen and women downcow?

You can witter on about individual clubs remembering their dead but if you are not going to discuss all symbols and statuery and remembrance then I am sorry to say, this will get nowhere.

There is nothing 'hypocritical' about it when your community do it too.

So we are back around full circle Francie. Tolerance is the issue. I have said pages ago that I don’t think unionists could care less what you call your gaara clubs or anything else for that matter. If your community could just show the same tolerance then we’d be flying.
    Unless someone says or does something illegal then they should be left alone. If you enjoy what they are at, then go join in or watch , if you have no interest then look the other way. This is at the very core of Presbyterian individuality It’s why almost all top sports people from Ni are from the Protestant community. Our young people are not funnelled into what their last generation want but rather encouraged to forge new furrows and try new things.
    I guess that has something to do with why our community displays a reasonable level of tolerance and the nationalist community struggles with diversity

• Advertisement

So we are back around full circle Francie. Tolerance is the issue. I have said pages ago that I don’t think unionists could care less what you call your gaara clubs or anything else for that matter. If your community could just show the same tolerance then we’d be flying.
    Unless someone says or does something illegal then they should be left alone. If you enjoy what they are at, then go join in or watch , if you have no interest then look the other way. This is at the very core of Presbyterian individuality It’s why almost all top sports people from Ni are from the Protestant community. Our young people are not funnelled into what their last generation want but rather encouraged to forge new furrows and try new things.
    I guess that has something to do with why our community displays a reasonable level of tolerance and the nationalist community struggles with diversity

:D:D :) That's a classic downcow answer. Masquerading as being reasonable but full of the not so subtle little digs he wants to get in by pretending to be the 'earnest Unionist/Loyalist wondering why these Taigs are being so nasty'.

Up the yard lad, you might fool some. 'Reasonable level of tolerance'?? :):)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement