Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,129 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Well, they do love the big house so they do.

What I mean is, they will point to the handout/subsistence as a 'benefit' of being in the UK.

It's pretty sad and pathetic. A soul destroyed people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

10-15 years
    Just right now announced our economy is fastest growing in Europe again. 5% on last years.

Strip away the multinational input and it’s 3%. Thats homegrown industry.

Wonder how NI stats currently look

• Registered Users Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Just read some of the posts on this page again.
    Patronising, nasty prejudice against anything unionist. I can’t wait to join youR new Ireland lol
    If ni is this terrible place why is everyone not moving to the beautiful panacea of Roi You guys are so lucky lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

10-15 years
    downcow wrote: »
    Just read some of the posts on this page again.
    Patronising, nasty prejudice against anything unionist. I can’t wait to join youR new Ireland lol
    If ni is this terrible place why is everyone not moving to the beautiful panacea of Roi You guys are so lucky lol

Victim complex won’t get you anywhere DC. Nobody here did patronising or nasty. Please point it out. 11% of the population are immigrants. So people are moving here.
    Stop railing against the tide and start engaging in reality or at least discussion. Nobody’s out to get you. Honestly

Just on bbc now. Poll shows Alliance party voters aspirations have jumped sharply in favour of the union(uk) Now 70:30 in favour of staying in uk.

That doesn’t fit with some of the fantasy be expressed on here

• Advertisement

They have now just said all voters all parties except don’t know 75% are pro union They are saying the many pro union are the most liberal in society and aren’t voting for current unionist parties. But they say any referendum on UI will bring those voters out. So bring it on If you wish. and put this to bed for a generation

And those on here who say staying in uk is not being well sold Maybe you should look at your own house cause very few seem to want out of uk.

It’s a substantial university of Liverpool study

• Registered Users Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

You clearly don't understand what I wrote. Splitting the country? What?

The incentive is reunification and the ending of an injustice. Simple as.

It also creates a more balanced State with Belfast and its environs as a proper rival for investment to Dublin which will benefit the new State.

How much are you willing to personally pay per month for a UI? And how long would you be willing to pay that?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

20-30 years
    Yeah_Right wrote: »
    How much are you willing to personally pay per month for a UI? And how long would you be willing to pay that?

A bajillion euro. And forever.

What is an acceptable answer?

The national exchequer isn't my personal account that I can decide where my portion goes or doesn't go.

It's mind-blowing that this is still a question that crops up from time to time.

maccored wrote: »
    subsidise? I dont think you get the general concept. a UI would be one country working as one. there wouldnt be two parts and no part would be subsidising the other.

Whats REALLY needed is a nationwide discussion so people can discuss the reality of a UI, and not this silly talk of one the south taking over the north and paying its bills.

that's not the way most people in the South will see it though.

What happens to the large majority of people in Northern Ireland in the public service? They won't all be employed in the public service in the republic.
    Do they go on the dole? The dole that is a lot higher in the republic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

You clearly don't understand what I wrote. Splitting the country? What?

The incentive is reunification and the ending of an injustice. Simple as.

It also creates a more balanced State with Belfast and its environs as a proper rival for investment to Dublin which will benefit the new State.

I don't know whether I am for or against, I don't think the point you made there would encourage people from Dublin to be in favour of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Runaways wrote: »
    How does unionism sell remaining in the union to the people of NI in a referendum scenario?

Cos as things stand they’re very much on a weak back foot looking at it from here

Worst performing NHS in the Uk massive unemployment and completely reliant on hand outs

That’s just a few of the problems.

What are the upsides?

NHS waiting lists in NI are just insane at present. Something our government here and Westminster really need to get on top off. Maybe the new tunnel will allow us to get a faster check up in Stranraer!

Massive unemployment... This is from 1 month ago. NI 2.4%... ROI 4.8%.

https://www.irishnews.com/business/2020/02/19/news/northern-ireland-ends-2019-with-near-record-low-unemployment-rate-despite-spike-in-redundancies-1846092/

In my experience in my local region, the only people not working are those that can't, or more usually, won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

bubblypop wrote: »

What happens to the large majority of people in Northern Ireland in the public service? They won't all be employed in the public service in the republic.

Think we're at something like 30% of jobs in the public service.
    What way do you think these people will vote when they hear there's potential for a decent lump of them to likely be out of a job?

20-30 years
    Sinbad_NI wrote: »
    Think we're at something like 30% of jobs in the public service.
    What way do you think these people will vote when they hear there's potential for a decent lump of them to likely be out of a job?

There won't be mass layoffs. It will all be done through natural wastage and redeployment. It won't be a major factor. Plus there's areas, like law enforcement where the South needs numbers to rise, so the addition of PSNI officers will be a boon.

Honestly, the public sector numbers aren't going to be an issue in the early days anyway, there will be a substantial uptick in requirements for admin staff to coordinate the merger.

20-30 years
    I don't know whether I am for or against, I don't think the point you made there would encourage people from Dublin to be in favour of it

What point was it?

Honestly, those who are so anti unification really need to get together and come up with a coordinated effort to sell the status quo on both sides of the border.

It's not for the rest of us to bat for all potential scenarios.

Oh No...Unionism rethoricing themselves into a cul de sac again. Will they never learn from history?
    https://twitter.com/newsoncool/status/1235909630343155717

20-30 years
    They have now just said all voters all parties except don’t know 75% are pro union They are saying the many pro union are the most liberal in society and aren’t voting for current unionist parties. But they say any referendum on UI will bring those voters out. So bring it on If you wish. and put this to bed for a generation

And those on here who say staying in uk is not being well sold Maybe you should look at your own house cause very few seem to want out of uk.

Looks like you've nothing to worry about so.

Funny how the alliance party are in favour of engaging in a potential citizens assembly now. What do you think of that?

20-30 years
    Oh No...Unionism rethoricing themselves into a cul de sac again. Will they never learn from history?
    https://twitter.com/newsoncool/status/1235909630343155717

Well, the mask slipped during the GE. The UUP are now finished. Why would you be bothered as a moderate unionist now voting for them?

I'd love to see Nesbitt resign and join the Alliance.

There won't be mass layoffs. It will all be done through natural wastage and redeployment. It won't be a major factor. Plus there's areas, like law enforcement where the South needs numbers to rise, so the addition of PSNI officers will be a boon.

Honestly, the public sector numbers aren't going to be an issue in the early days anyway, there will be a substantial uptick in requirements for admin staff to coordinate the merger.

are you suggesting members of the PSNI would just join up to AGS?

20-30 years

Are you suggesting there would be competing police forces in a unitary state?

• Advertisement

Are you suggesting there would be competing police forces in a unitary state?

no.
    what do you suggest?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

30-40 years

we need to DISCUSS THIS as a nation first and figure out those kinds of issues. personally, I would vouch that anyone employed in the public service that couldnt get a job in whatever new all Ireland public service there is, gets redundancy from their employer (the british government)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

30-40 years

there wouldnt be the PSNI or the AGS - there'd be a new police force altogether

I'd suggest that the AGS and PSNI do as they are instructed by whatever government is elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

What point was it?

Honestly, those who are so anti unification really need to get together and come up with a coordinated effort to sell the status quo on both sides of the border.

It's not for the rest of us to bat for all potential scenarios.

that Dublin would have a proper rival for investment in belfast, are you for or against unification, because Dublin with a similar population as northern Ireland might prefer not to have a proper rival for investment

maccored wrote: »
    there wouldnt be the PSNI or the AGS - there'd be a new police force altogether

Would the unification of the island mean that Northern Ireland would become part of the Republic?
    An Garda Siochana are the police force in the republic. so, if any of the PSNI actually wanted to, they would have to join AGS.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

A bajillion euro. And forever.

What is an acceptable answer?

The national exchequer isn't my personal account that I can decide where my portion goes or doesn't go.

It's mind-blowing that this is still a question that crops up from time to time.

Sorry I obviously wasn't clear in what I was asking. Would you be happy to see an increase on your income tax to fund unification? If yes, how much?
    Temporarily or permanently?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

30-40 years
    NI is an English dependency and that's one of the reasons why I believe the first border poll would be a relatively easy 'win' for unionists. Non-unionists in the civil service and dependent on the NHS would probably not bother voting for a UI.

The first border poll kicks off the 'match' but if there's a loss for a UI the match remains at 0 - 0. A united Ireland only requires that those in favour of a UI to score once and then the match is over. It doesn't matter if a border poll doesn't return a pro-UI vote the first time.

Meanwhile the so-called 'union' depends on how happy England is keeping the people of the north and particularly people of non-unionist heritage who will decide when the time is right. Sure that's grand like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Lord Fairlord

15-20 years
    Sinbad_NI wrote: »
    I'm not arguing about legitimacy. GFA had sorted that question for us all.

I'm talking about how it could affect everyone, myself included, when there's a decent chunk more outgoings than today.
    Wages in the private sector will not follow overnight.

It's true that wages in the private sector will not follow over night but one must think beyond the short term. Indeed one must think of the next generation and generations to come.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Lord Fairlord

15-20 years
    ....and vice versa from the republicans lol. Lesson is that the decision by the extreme s won’t be based on economics. Centre ground could be more interesting. Certainly polls currently would suggest centre ground feel they are better off in uk.
    You see your other problem Tom/Francie/etc is that you need an amazing amount of blue water because the old ‘devil you know’ will be the next factor you have to address should you ever be able to make any case for UI. But that’s down the road a few generations.

That's a fair point. What I would say to those in the centre to whom economics is important; Northern Ireland has been getting subsidised since the 1930s - economically the North, divided artificially from the rest of this island and remote from the rest of the UK, is unviable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement