Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saoradh dissident republican march in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭facehugger99

They had a fairly well expressed strategic interest in our ports during WW2.

Once again you show a fairly pathetic grasp of history.

Stop living in the past Francie-lad - embrace the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,170 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Stop living in the past Francie-lad - embrace the future.

What?

You stated something that was simply incorrect. The British had a very well expressed 'strategic interest' in Ireland.
    That is a fact.

They have relinquished that interest, and have tacitly withdrawn from Ireland in the GFA.
    They will not defend a majority decision by the Irish people for them to leave. They have even promised to be neutral on the subject.

Again, that is the reality of the achievement of the GFA.

Yet you paint it as a 'defeat'.

You don't need to support the IRA or even SF to see this reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Tomas81 wrote: »
    The IRA brought the Brits to a negotiations table where they said they'd never go with the IRA.

Never knew the IRA were the negotiating type.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Once again you show a fairly poor grasp of history.

Probably keeping an eye out for U boats..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

These assholes Twitter and Facebook page now gone. Twitter has been removed due to violation of Twitters terms, not sure what the story is with their Facebook page.

• Advertisement

RobMc59 wrote: »
    Probably keeping an eye out for U boats..

Absolutely.

Needs to be mentioned too that rather than the British altruistically defending our airspace, that by overflying us, they are actually defending themselves.

In the wrong hands (Germans in WW2 and the Russians today) Ireland represents a threat to their west. That is why they always had a 'strategic' interest here and were prepared to use military force to maintain it.

They couldn't do that militarily after 1916 and they couldn't maintain/defend it morally in northern Ireland after 1998.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tomas81

Berserker wrote: »
    Never knew the IRA were the negotiating type.

The mountainclimber?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Not really. 51% of those they killed during the war were innocent civilians, this doesn't include the innocents killed by their unionist allies using their bombs, guns and ammunition.

What percentage innocent people were murdered by the IRA / INLA / ANAL / $random IRA?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,023 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Apart from pointing out that these guys would see themselves at war with the shinners too, it must be pointed out that the British started a catastrophic war on the basis that somebody had arms and explosives of mass destruction.

What kinda logic would you call that? The natives of the place they started a war with would call it 'terrorist' logic.

What on gods name are you waffling about now? Incoherent rubbish this is.

I guess the security forces should have left the Provos reduce the north to dust at will, I suppose. It was the PIRA that brought the bombs to the North, which culminated in Omagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,679 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Not sure if mentioned but FB and Twitter have suspended there accounts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

markodaly wrote: »

I guess the security forces should have left the Provos reduce the north to dust at will, I suppose. It was the PIRA that brought the bombs to the North, which culminated in Omagh.

Mod

Markodaly, calm down on the hyperbole please. Final warning.

Simply making the point that on the pretext of 'security and defence' the British as well as the RUC, brutalised and damaged many innocent lives. As did the various paramilitaries. That is what happens in a war/conflict situation and enables either side to call the other the 'terrorist'.

Which is why that word is utterly useless as a 'definition'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Fusitive

What percentage innocent people were murdered by the IRA / INLA / ANAL / $random IRA?

Here are the numbers of all deaths in the troubles

Of those killed by British security forces:

187 (~51.5%) were civilians

145 (~39.9%) were members of republican paramilitaries

18 (~4.9%) were members of loyalist paramilitaries

13 (~3.5%) were fellow members of the British security forces

Of those killed by republican paramilitaries:

1080 (~52%) were members/former members of the British security forces

723 (~35%) were civilians

187(~9%) were members of republican paramilitaries

57 (~2.7%) were members of loyalist paramilitaries

11 (~0.5%) were members of the Irish security forces

Of those killed by loyalist paramilitaries:

878 (~85.4%) were civilians

94 (~9%) were members of loyalist paramilitaries

41 (~4%) were members of republican paramilitaries

14 (~1%) were members of the British security forces

How are the provisional movement responsible for Omagh?

So the IRA killed nearly 600 more civilians than the big bad Brits?

Absolute Scumbags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Fusitive

Absolute Scumbags.

I think you've forgot about the scale of collusion the British army/MI6 had with Loyalist paramilitaries and admittance of senior BA officials to setting off false flag IRA attacks in the North. The British Army was an inflammatory source in the North. They should never have been there under the guise of peacekeepers. How could BA ever be an impartial peacekeeper?

A protected British spy Freddie Scappaticci was head of the nutting squad ffs. Some peacekeeping

• Registered Users Posts: 14,023 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

How are the provisional movement responsible for Omagh?

The men who carried it out were trained under the Provo regime and the leadership of the Real IRA were also high ranking ex PIRA members.

The tactic of leaving a car bomb on a busy market street was Provo bombing tactic 101 for decades

The PIRA have to accept their share of responsibility to that slaughter.

The men who carried it out were trained under the Provo regime and the leadership of the Real IRA were also high ranking ex PIRA members.

The tactic of leaving a car bomb on a busy market street was Provo bombing tactic 101 for decades

Who do you deem to have the ultimate responsibility for there being a slaughter?

The men who you say we're ex members of the provisionals left 16 months previous due to the PIRA backing primacy of politics that Sinn Fein offered.

So if you have a family member who's a sex offender are you in turn responsible?

And they weren't high ranking members, 1 member was QM of the provos the rest were members

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

So if you have a family member who's a sex offender are you in turn responsible?

If I thought them how to be a sex offender and did some sex offending with them before I gave it up, yeah, kinda.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭forgottenhills

Once again you show a fairly poor grasp of history.

If you understood history you would realise that the "Brits" as you call them saved our asses in WW11. They were under enormous military pressure after Dunkirk and if they had signed a peace agreement with Hitler at that point (and they were under huge pressure to do so) then the Nazis could have just walked into Ireland any time they liked. But the so called Republicans will never give credit to Britain for anything.

And getting back to the point of this thread, why are there PIRA apologists on this thread, as you are in a roundabout way defending the actions of the Real IRA? It is also shameful that the PIRA obviously did not destroy all their weapons and explosives as they were supposed to do as part of the GFA, and claimed that they did, and that some of the PIRA's semtex has now turned up in the hands of their equally psychopathic offspring, the Real IRA.

If you're Gerry Adams, then yes, it turned out he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Tomas81 wrote:

If I thought them how to be a sex offender and did some sex offending with them before I gave it up, yeah, kinda.

If you're Gerry Adams, then yes, it turned out he was.

Mod

One more false equivelancy with sex offendering will be a thread ban for those who post, quote and or respond to it.

The man who set up the RIRA was a QM wasn't involved in bomb making. What would of fell to the EO

Pter wrote: »
    Mod

One more false equivelancy with sex offendering will be a thread ban for those who post, quote and or respond to it.

Sorry just seen this post as I responded.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Absolute Scumbags.

Must make the loyalist the worst of the lot as they killed more bit not a peep from you about that

Apart from pointing out that these guys would see themselves at war with the shinners too, it must be pointed out that the British started a catastrophic war on the basis that somebody had arms and explosives of mass destruction.

What kinda logic would you call that? The natives of the place they started a war with would call it 'terrorist' logic.

This is nearly as funny as the Irish IP address post.

If you understood history you would realise that the "Brits" as you call them saved our asses in WW11. They were under enormous military pressure after Dunkirk and if they had signed a peace agreement with Hitler at that point (and they were under huge pressure to do so) then the Nazis could have just walked into Ireland any time they liked. But the so called Republicans will never give credit to Britain for anything.

And getting back to the point of this thread, why are there PIRA apologists on this thread, as you are in a roundabout way defending the actions of the Real IRA? It is also shameful that the PIRA obviously did not destroy all their weapons and explosives as they were supposed to do as part of the GFA, and claimed that they did, and that some of the PIRA's semtex has now turned up in the hands of their equally psychopathic offspring, the Real IRA.

Point of order...I didn't call them the 'Brits'.

I didn't discredit them for what they did in ww2 either, I merely pointed out that their defence then and their continued defence of our airspace is not the altruistic gesture it is sometimes portrayed as - it is much more 'defence of themselves' due to the proximity of our island. That proximity and their continued presence here is currently buggering up their desires to leave the EU. And once again you can see that they don't so much care for NI as they do about themselves. Simple reality.

The IRA and the IMC both stated that armaments were stolen from caches before decommissioning. Something tells me the culprits would have been those that went dissident and refused to accept the GFA. So not sure what your point is.

• Advertisement

Point of order...I didn't call them the 'Brits'.

I didn't discredit them for what they did in ww2 either, I merely pointed out that their defence then and their continued defence of our airspace is not the altruistic gesture it is sometimes portrayed as - it is much more 'defence of themselves' due to the proximity of our island. That proximity and their continued presence here is currently buggering up their desires to leave the EU. And once again you can see that they don't so much care for NI as they do about themselves. Simple reality.

The IRA and the IMC both stated that armaments were stolen from caches before decommissioning. Something tells me the culprits would have been those that went dissident and refused to accept the GFA. So not sure what your point is.

NI suffered in the Belfast blitz in WW2 and stood shoulder to shoulder with the rest of the UK -do you think Britain will abandon such a valiant nation?-dream on.

Advertisement