Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saracens vs Munster, Sat 20th April, 3pm

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Caucau was a god!!!

He was indeed , but when he was in France he definitely looked more like Buddha..:-)

• Subscribers Posts: 41,107 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    He was indeed , but when he was in France he definitely looked more like Buddha..:-)

touche

:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Disappointing result but not unexpected
    Going into the match three things needed to happen for Munster to have any chance
    1. Munster give their best performance in years
    2. Ref decisions go their way
    3. Saracens have an off day

Unfortunately none of the above happened

I don’t think Munster were particularly poor or Saracens particularly great, but Saracens didn’t need to be and largely looked comfortable

Thought Saracens kicked really well and Haley had a tough time under the high ball

The Munster kick –chase was a bit off and gifted possession back too easily
    We didn’t really disrupt their lineout which is unusual for Munster

We missed the breaking ability of Carbery to keep the Saracens defense on their toes

I think if Cloete had been in better form he would have played at 7, JOD is not a natural 7 but Cloete has just been out of sorts for the most of this season.

Munster are easily in the top 6 in Europe but are still a good bit off competing with the likes of Saracens, Racing and Leinster

Munster just don’t have the $$$ that Saracens and Racing have nor do we have the conveyor belt of talent coming through that Leinster have.
    It will not be easy to bridge that gap.

I think Munster have a team of “good” Heineken cup standard players and not enough “fantastic” Heineken cup standard players.

Think EPCR will need to rethink the choosing of venues for Semi finals, maybe have a look at the attendance of the home team throughout the campaign and pick a suitable ground based on that.

Having a half full stadium doesn’t do anyone any favours.

The spectator who entered the field needs a ban from Munster games.

Between the Zebo incident in Belfast, the Sectarianism incident in the Aviva and now this, It’s not a good look for Irish rugby supporters in the last few months.

Anyway
    Come on Leinster in the final

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Detailed look at how Saracens dealt with the threat of Beirne at the weekend: https://www.the42.ie/tadhg-beirne-munster-saracens-analysis-4602847-Apr2019/

🤪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Detailed look at how Saracens dealt with the threat of Beirne at the weekend: https://www.the42.ie/tadhg-beirne-munster-saracens-analysis-4602847-Apr2019/

Every time Munster lose a big game this gets wheeled out.

Sorry but if the guy is that easily neutralised then is he really that good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

His technique and timing are excellent, he's just blown off the ball too easily sometimes by guys who are way bigger.

The way Garces reffed the breakdown did him no favours mind.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

What other games, just out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,376 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

aloooof wrote: »

Both Castres games.

And for my money, that's quite correct.

Both Castres games.

And for my money, that's quite correct.

Fair enough. The flip side is he's gotten man of the match in other big games. e.g. both Exeter and the Leinster games so he's obviously doing something right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I must admit I was also thinking about his time at Scarlets.

I just don't think he's able to really compete at the top level against a strong pack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

yerrahbah wrote: »
    Disappointing result but not unexpected
    Going into the match three things needed to happen for Munster to have any chance
    1. Munster give their best performance in years
    2. Ref decisions go their way
    3. Saracens have an off day

Unfortunately none of the above happened

I don’t think Munster were particularly poor or Saracens particularly great, but Saracens didn’t need to be and largely looked comfortable

Thought Saracens kicked really well and Haley had a tough time under the high ball

The Munster kick –chase was a bit off and gifted possession back too easily
    We didn’t really disrupt their lineout which is unusual for Munster

We missed the breaking ability of Carbery to keep the Saracens defense on their toes

I think if Cloete had been in better form he would have played at 7, JOD is not a natural 7 but Cloete has just been out of sorts for the most of this season.

Munster are easily in the top 6 in Europe but are still a good bit off competing with the likes of Saracens, Racing and Leinster

Munster just don’t have the $$$ that Saracens and Racing have nor do we have the conveyor belt of talent coming through that Leinster have.
    It will not be easy to bridge that gap.

I think Munster have a team of “good” Heineken cup standard players and not enough “fantastic” Heineken cup standard players.

Think EPCR will need to rethink the choosing of venues for Semi finals, maybe have a look at the attendance of the home team throughout the campaign and pick a suitable ground based on that.

Having a half full stadium doesn’t do anyone any favours.

The spectator who entered the field needs a ban from Munster games.

Between the Zebo incident in Belfast, the Sectarianism incident in the Aviva and now this, It’s not a good look for Irish rugby supporters in the last few months.

Anyway
    Come on Leinster in the final

Yeah can't disagree with any of that. I was at it and the half empty stadium was very disappointing. Felt more like a pre-season friendly with the sunshine.

Saracens were just the better side, too slick, little mistakes and Munster just never got up a head of steam- done to their own mistakes and Saracens not letting them. That 5-6 minute period after half time was a killer but that was all credit to Saracens.

I must admit I was also thinking about his time at Scarlets.

I just don't think he's able to really compete at the top level against a strong pack.

I agree to an extent but pedantic-me would say he's proven he can do it against a strong pack (e.g. Exeter) but hasn't against the absolute top tier (Saracens).

It was always gonna be a tough ask; 4 of their front 5 were Lions test starters. From the pack, Billy V might have been too if he didn't get injured.

I just think it's overly harsh saying he was "easily neutralised" given the calibre of opposition he was up against. I don't think too many beforehand would've claimed he was better than his opposite numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,376 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

I agree to an extent but pedantic-me would say he's proven he can do it against a strong pack (e.g. Exeter) but hasn't against the absolute top tier (Saracens).

It was always gonna be a tough ask; 4 of their front 5 were Lions test starters. From the pack, Billy V might have been too if he didn't get injured.

I just think it's overly harsh saying he was "easily neutralised" given the calibre of opposition he was up against. I don't think too many beforehand would've claimed he was better than his opposite numbers.

I think "easily neutralised" is unfair myself, but I do think he goes missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭shootermacg

He also scored a very legit turnover. But Garces made a terrible call.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Fardy is the player Beirne is sometimes compared with. The thing is that Fardy has played most of his European knock-out rugby at blindside, and has two phenomenal locks in Ryan and Toner to carry him. How would Beirne look if he played 6 with the Leinster second rows playing with him at lock?

Also, against a team as physical and technically-sound at the clearout as Saracens I think Munster needed to be getting another player into the ruck to anchor Beirne and make him more difficult to shift off the ball. Looking at that 42.ie analysis article there were a few times when a quick-thinking teammate could have jumped in to support Beirne.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Fardy is the player Beirne is sometimes compared with. The thing is that Fardy has played most of his European knock-out rugby at blindside, and has two phenomenal locks in Ryan and Toner to carry him. How would Beirne look if he played 6 with the Leinster second rows playing with him at lock?

Also, against a team as physical and technically-sound at the clearout as Saracens I think Munster needed to be getting another player into the ruck to anchor Beirne and make him more difficult to shift off the ball. Looking at that 42.ie analysis article there were a few times when a quick-thinking teammate could have jumped in to support Beirne.

I've never seen anyone compare Beirne to Fardy. They're completely different players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

First time I heard anyone compare Beirne and Fardy. Not a comparison that would have popped into my mind,.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Similar height, weight, and both play blindside and second row and are good on the deck.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    First time I heard anyone compare Beirne and Fardy. Not a comparison that would have popped into my mind,.......

I wasn't aware that Fardy needed carrying, then again as a non Irish player it stands to reason I suppose.

p.s. I'm quoting you cause you quoted him

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Fair enough. The flip side is he's gotten man of the match in other big games. e.g. both Exeter and the Leinster games so he's obviously doing something right.

Case in point of the saying "you're never as good as they say you are nor are as bad".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭IanOBo

Any links to watch the game back?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

IanOBo wrote: »
    Any links to watch the game back?

I echo this post. Just back in civilisation after a 7 day trek to Machu Picchu. Never expected us to win but I’d like to watch the game back.

PS: Machu Picchu is incredible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

The match isn’t

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Defo on my bucket list.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

stephen_n wrote: »
    Defo on my bucket list.

I would recommend it.I have done:-

1. Egypt with all the bells and whistles
    2. Ankor Wat
    3. Machu Picchu
    4. Even Chichen Itza

Machu Picchu was defo the most satisfying.

stephen_n wrote: »
    Defo on my bucket list.
    I would recommend it.I have done:-

1. Egypt with all the bells and whistles
    2. Ankor Wat
    3. Machu Picchu
    4. Even Chichen Itza

Machu Picchu was defo the most satisfying.

One for another thread perhaps, but a rugby bucket list??

I'd like to go see a game in the Rec at some stage.
    Munster v Clermont in the Marcel Michelin would be up there for me as well.
    And a Lions test in Wellington (sentimental reasons for that one).

Kinda different, but I'd also absolutely love to see Ireland hosting a RWC some day (still bitter).

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Munster Rugby Statement re Champions Cup semi-final spectator incident
    Following further investigation into the incident involving a spectator entering the field of play at the Ricoh Arena the province can confirm that a decision has been made to prohibit the supporter from attending matches at Irish Independent Park and Thomond Park, in addition to the ban from the Ricoh Arena.

The province wishes to reiterate it does not condone the entry of any spectator to the field of play.

While it was hugely disappointing to see a supporter breach the stadium regulations, the behaviour of this one individual is not reflective of our supporters.

https://munsterrugby.ie/2019/05/03/munster-rugby-statement/?_ga=2.198516264.641920175.1556531788-1841986196.1522064652

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Erik Shun

Kind of hard to enforce that ban if he's not a season ticket holder, or an mrsc member

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Erik Shun wrote: »
    Kind of hard to enforce that ban if he's not a season ticket holder, or an mrsc member

I've always wondered about these kind of bans and how on earth you actually enforce them.

Agree completely with him being banned , but beyond stopping a person from buying a ticket in their own name via official sources , how do you actually stop them getting a ticket elsewhere and walking in??

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,107 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

you mean it wasn't actually a Saracens supporter in a Munster jersey ?????

whoood 'ave thunk.....

Advertisement