Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saracens vs Munster, Sat 20th April, 3pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Buer wrote: »
    As good as they were, I'm not sure there's a player that Irish rugby has ever produced that would dominate a collision with Vunipola.

Stephen Ferris knows where you live Buer...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,188 ✭✭✭✭Buer

mfceiling wrote: »
    Stephen Ferris knows where you live Buer...

I've seen Fez in action; I doubt the lad can read a map.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

This game cannot happen. Munster, if they win their QF, will travel to Leinster.

So you've already ruled out finishing top of your pool?

Because if you do, then the game can happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Squatter wrote: »
    So you've already ruled out finishing top of your pool?

Because if you do, then the game can happen.

Pretty much. I can't see Glasgow losing to Edinburgh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Billy V is better than Stander. A lot better.

And Billy V is better than Conan. A lot better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Bleyendaal got the hook quite early today. Was he especially poor? I don't recall any howlers tbh and Saracens had the majority of possession anyway.

Bleyendaal got the hook quite early today. Was he especially poor? I don't recall any howlers tbh and Saracens had the majority of possession anyway.

Nope. You can't do anything without the ball. Nailed his kicks, passed well. He gave away a penalty that happens about 20 times in any game; I was surprised it was spotted.

The only thing that Carbery has/had over him is the fact that Saracens could rush up hard and hit the Munster midfield knowing TB didn't have the step and acceleration to hurt them that Carbery does which would have kept them slightly deeper. But it would have made zero difference to the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Nope. You can't do anything without the ball. Nailed his kicks, passed well. He gave away a penalty that happens about 20 times in any game; I was surprised it was spotted.

The only thing that Carbery has/had over him is the fact that Saracens could rush up hard and hit the Munster midfield knowing TB didn't have the step and acceleration to hurt them that Carbery does which would have kept them slightly deeper. But it would have made zero difference to the result.

Tyler was taken off not because of poor performance but to bring JJH on and change from failed territory game to a running game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,938 ✭✭✭leakyboots

I thought JJ did well enough in the circumstances

• Registered Users Posts: 8,217 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Billy V is better than Stander. A lot better.

And Billy V is better than Conan. A lot better.
    Who mentioned Conan? Speaking about Stander

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,328 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Don't think there is any great shame for Munster. They are a consistently good side. Just not as good as the top 2 or 3 sides in Europe.

I think Leinster will very possibly struggle with Saracens too this year if they even get past Toulouse.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I didn't think POM played too badly yesterday? We know my thoughts on his limitations but he absolutely worked his bollocks off, especially in defence.

One thing that did go against him though was Garces was having none of his bollock-acting. He got pinged earlier in the game trying to steal and after that Garces would not let him contest for the ball on the deck.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

That was a tough day at the office. Munster are consistently making the last 4 in Europe but what do people think is missing to take that last step? I can't remember every SF to be honest but the recent ones haven't been particularly close.

I do think Saracens will win it this year, have been saying that since early in the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Erik Shun

That was a tough day at the office. Munster are consistently making the last 4 in Europe but what do people think is missing to take that last step? I can't remember every SF to be honest but the recent ones haven't been particularly close.

I do think Saracens will win it this year, have been saying that since early in the season.

We lack 1 or 2 players to push us over the edge...in recent years Leinster have had Isa and Lowe...players that can create something from nothing....
    It's been very quiet on the rumour mill here.. normally we'd have an inkling of whos coming in by now.. but so far, nothing...Taute is leaving.. Kleyn is becoming IQ ... Marshall will be just after the world cup...we need 1 or 2 players with spark and imagination to just take us up a level....as it is...you can count on one hand (and have some fingers left over) the teams that will beat Munster in a semi final... but as things stand..they will always beat us, unless we improve certain areas.

An attack coach is needed too, that's a given... but it won't solve our issues without fresh blood

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

“Quote: Squatter
    If next weekend's results go as expected, my money would be on Ulster to beat them in Thomond in the semi.”
    This game cannot happen. Munster, if they win their QF, will travel to Leinster.

If Munster beat Connacht and Edinburgh beat Glasgow then Munster would have a home semi-final against winner between Connacht and Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

IMO it's a Lack of ball carriers up front (carriers who are effective in traffic).

Kleyn and Beirne don't provide that. Kleyn had that 15-20m break up the left off loose ball but apart from that was ineffective
    POM and JOD don't carry effectively either

Sarries pack yesterday had 5 carriers in double figures. Billy V had 21 while Mako, Itoje, Kruis and Rhodes shared 45 carries fairly evenly between them. Mako and Kruis didnt have gainline success but it was quick ball for the next carrier (Billy or Itoje) to make yards.

Kilcoyne and Stander were the only Munster forwards to carry in double figures. Beirne and POM had 11 carries between them for 8 metres

Stander did What he always does but the ball Sarries had was on a plate for Spencer. They were prepared to run off quick ball as opposed to going over the gain line because 2 or 3 quick rucks will present a gap to make the yards. It's the opposite of what Stander tries to do.

I thought Munster were unlucky,
    Saracens collapsed the Munster maul going towards the try line and the ball was passed to Farrell who was tackled and held up and ref blew up. Why didn’t it go back for the penalty for collapsing the maul?

Saracens knocked the ball forward in a lineout and they gathered it on the ground which lead to one of their tries but the officials missed it.

Two turning points that could have changed the game.

Other than that I thought Beirne getting penalized for winning the ball in the ground was a terrible call.

I also thought Saracens were routinely offside.

People getting carried away saying it was one-sided when there were a few key moments that went against us, Munster would have taken more kicks at goal if it were closer on the scoreboard.

Beirne’s knock-on was a big momentum killer and John Ryan tackling the wrong player to leave the Saracens 6 jog over the line untouched was a sickener.

I thought Goggin should have started ahead of Scannell in the centre.

I’m not too worried about getting new signings for next season, we have enough good players, we just need a bit of luck and perhaps to try out a few players next season, Wycherley/Coombes/O’Shea could be getting more game-time and Holland could move to backrow.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Saracens collapsed the Munster maul going towards the try line and the ball was passed to Farrell who was tackled and held up and ref blew up. Why didn’t it go back for the penalty for collapsing the maul?

Saracens knocked the ball forward in a lineout and they gathered it on the ground which lead to one of their tries but the officials missed it.

Other than that I thought Beirne getting penalized for winning the ball in the ground was a terrible call.

People getting carried away saying it was one-sided when there were a few key moments that went against us, Munster would have taken more kicks at goal if it were closer on the scoreboard.

Beirne’s knock-on was a big momentum killer and John Ryan tackling the wrong player to leave the Saracens 6 jog over the line untouched was a sickener.

I’m not too worried about getting new signings for next season, we have enough good players, we just need a bit of luck and perhaps to try out a few players next season, Wycherley/Coombes/O’Shea could be getting more game-time and Holland could move to backrow.

Munster also won a penalty as Saracens were beating them down towards the tryline when Stander poached the ball from an offside position.

Don't get me started on that scrum that led to Munster's try, and Murray rolling the ball forward.

Munster had a couple of things go against them, but they also had a couple of potential game changers go for them which they didn't take any advantage of.

They were soundly beaten by the best team in the competition. Nothing more, nothing less.

Ref called it as Munster dropping the maul, same way he called against Saracens in first half.

The Beirne one was 50-50. Garces signalled it was already a ruck. Would need to see a replay.

Munsters try came off JOD kicking the ball and Murray knocked it on. Try should never have stood. Should have been a Sarries scrum or else a pen

In the build up to Billy Vs try Garces said it went backwards IIRC

Both sides were offside a lot and both sides didn't bother throwing straight at the lineout. Its the standard norm now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I think you need to watch the game again

• Advertisement

Ryan was out numbered. He had two men coming on a short ball line at him and picked one. Not his fault at all. If he had gone for Rhodes, they could have just tipped on a pass to score also.

Ryan was out numbered. He had two men coming on a short ball line at him and picked one. Not his fault at all. If he had gone for Rhodes, they could have just tipped on a pass to score also.

Better to force the pass than allow the simple try.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

“Quote: Squatter
    If next weekend's results go as expected, my money would be on Ulster to beat them in Thomond in the semi.”

If Munster beat Connacht and Edinburgh beat Glasgow then Munster would have a home semi-final against winner between Connacht and Ulster.

Much as I'd like to think you are correct, I simply can't. Ulster, with every one of this season's players fit and game ready might get close but really that has not happened for years. Next season's player intake might just bring Ulster up to a level which would allow them to be competitive.. As things stand Munster's forwards have too much oomph and despite talented backs, the whole seems to be less than the sum of the parts should produce.

Ulster have improved over the season but they are too inconsistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Has there been any statement from Munster on the fan who jumped on the pitch and went after Vunipola? I assume he'll be banned, but don't see anything?

Has there been any statement from Munster on the fan who jumped on the pitch and went after Vunipola? I assume he'll be banned, but don't see anything?

One quote from Munster saying it could be a sarries fan

https://twitter.com/IrishTimesSport/status/1119665169389498368?s=19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Burkie1203 wrote: »

A Sarries fan wearing a Munster jersey.

The Munster press officer actually said that. That's awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Burkie1203 wrote: »

https://twitter.com/IrishTimesSport/status/1119665169389498368?s=19

Whilst he was right not to answer the question saying it could be a Sarries fan in a Munster jersey is stupid. He should have just said we have to look into the incident but it’s not acceptable for supporters to enter the field and left it at that.

Better to force the pass than allow the simple try.

He's a prop defending three out from a ruck in a stretched defence with two open men running hard at him. It's incredibly harsh to blame him.

He's a prop defending three out from a ruck in a stretched defence with two open men running hard at him. It's incredibly harsh to blame him.

I don’t agree, there were Munster players to his left and he took the second player out leaving the first player a big gap.
    Always should take the inside man and force the ball further out where there is support coming.
    Also looked like Ryan got it wrong by shooting up instead of holding the line, just poor defending whether he was a prop or not shouldn’t matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

A Sarries fan wearing a Munster jersey.

The Munster press officer actually said that. That's awful.

Someone caught up believing their own ****e

Advertisement