Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saracens vs Munster, Sat 20th April, 3pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

A Sarries fan wearing a Munster jersey.

The Munster press officer actually said that. That's awful.

Apparently Billy shouldnt have gone on the lap with the Sarries team according to quite a few Munster fans on Twitter. Some of the stuff is mega cringe. It's rugby. Fans tend to be mingled together.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,113 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I don’t agree, there were Munster players to his left and he took the second player out leaving the first player a big gap.
    Always should take the inside man and force the ball further out where there is support coming.
    Also looked like Ryan got it wrong by shooting up instead of holding the line, just poor defending whether he was a prop or not shouldn’t matter.

He tossed a coin and picked the wrong result.

The pass could easily have been a skip due to how close the attackers were to each other.

Not his fault in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Ref called it as Munster dropping the maul, same way he called against Saracens in first half.

The Beirne one was 50-50. Garces signalled it was already a ruck. Would need to see a replay.

Munsters try came off JOD kicking the ball and Murray knocked it on. Try should never have stood. Should have been a Sarries scrum or else a pen

In the build up to Billy Vs try Garces said it went backwards IIRC

Both sides were offside a lot and both sides didn't bother throwing straight at the lineout. Its the standard norm now.
    Yeah, Garces was selective in what he spotted! For a neutral it was a pulsating match but not really the best quality. Saracens were dropping the ball over the place and disjointed at times, but had the game plan and the players to implement it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Has there been any statement from Munster on the fan who jumped on the pitch and went after Vunipola? I assume he'll be banned, but don't see anything?

Rugby fans are quick to compare soccer fans and players when they misbehave, but if this was a soccer game/stadium, there would likely be a big fine and a stern warning from uefa for the encroachment onto the pitch to confront Billy. Sections of the munster support embarrassed themselves all day, booing Billy especially, and if anything riling and galvanising the saracen team. Best supporters eh....

On the game, huge gap between the sides. Saracen a seriously powerful outfit, forwards dominated and if anything should have won by more. Earls and Carbery were probably losses alright, but in truth the dominance of the saracen pack was enough to make their absences mostly moot.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Rugby fans are quick to compare soccer fans and players when they misbehave, but if this was a soccer game/stadium, there would likely be a big fine and a stern warning from uefa for the encroachment onto the pitch to confront Billy. Sections of the munster support embarrassed themselves all day, booing Billy especially, and if anything riling and galvanising the saracen team. Best supporters eh....

On the game, huge gap between the sides. Saracen a seriously powerful outfit, forwards dominated and if anything should have won by more. Earls and Carbery were probably losses alright, but in truth the dominance of the saracen pack was enough to make their absences mostly moot.

I’ve no real problem with booing Vunipola, unpopular players have been booed since the sport began. But that lad thinking it’s alright to run on the pitch at a player or yer man calling Farrell a prick when he was lining up his kick were both terrible moments that let the team down.

For all the moral superiority people have gotten from (rightfully) criticising the coverage of Vunipola, there was some shameful stuff from the Munster fans yesterday. Between that and sectarian abuse from Leinster fans I’d hope the teams start properly addressing shocking behavior from Irish rugby fans.

• Advertisement

Munster fans are perfectly entitled to boo Billy V.
    Confronting him is a big no go for me because it can potentially escalate into something more serious

Saracens are a team who don't care much for the stands during games. They just play the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I’ve no real problem with booing Vunipola, unpopular players have been booed since the sport began. But that lad thinking it’s alright to run on the pitch at a player or yer man calling Farrell a prick when he was lining up his kick were both terrible moments that let the team down.

For all the moral superiority people have gotten from (rightfully) criticising the coverage of Vunipola, there was some shameful stuff from the Munster fans yesterday. Between that and sectarian abuse from Leinster fans I’d hope the teams start properly addressing shocking behavior from Irish rugby fans.
    It's almost inevitable that this stuff would roll over from other sports as marketing continues to stoke the fires by classifying games as some form of gladiatorial combat. Some simpler types get sucked up into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

Faugheen wrote:
    One thing that did go against him though was Garces was having none of his bollock-acting. He got pinged earlier in the game trying to steal and after that Garces would not let him contest for the ball on the deck.

We needed him to play like more of a twat as you say, and the rest of them too. It was too cpean. Saracens rucking was very questionable throughout the match. Munster should have met them there and played dirtier. It wasn't being checked at all.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Munster fans are perfectly entitled to boo Billy V.
    Confronting him is a big no go for me because it can potentially escalate into something more serious

Saracens are a team who don't care much for the stands during games. They just play the game.

This for me. He was rightfully booed but stepping onto the pitch to confront him crosses the line for me.

Between that and sectarian abuse from Leinster fans I’d hope the teams start properly addressing shocking behavior from Irish rugby fans.

There was one clown removed from Aviva 3 weeks ago after he was reported to stewards/gardai

Was there any other incident.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

It's probably no worse, and maybe a lot better, than the vile abuse from the sidelines that teams from Leinster used to get when visiting Limerick teams back in the day

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Faugheen wrote: »
    This for me. He was rightfully booed but stepping onto the pitch to confront him crosses the line for me.

Agree completely, people are more than entitled to let vunipola know what they think of him and his beliefs but stepping into the pitch is just wrong.

Sarra elgan really let herself down yesterday
    BT as a whole were really poor too

Austin Healey is just a cnut.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

salmocab wrote: »
    Agree completely, people are more than entitled to let vunipola know what they think of him and his beliefs but stepping into the pitch is just wrong.

So, 'people' (ie the mob) can say what they think about vunipola, but he can't say what he thinks.... Got it.

Completely counterproductive in any case, the boos sounded hollow during the game as Billy bullied the Munster players and ran the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

So, 'people' (ie the mob) can say what they think about vunipola, but he can't say what he thinks.... Got it.

Completely counterproductive in any case, the boos sounded hollow during the game as Billy bullied the Munster players and ran the game.

Surely as he has the right to express his views as do the ‘mob’. Your argument suggests only one side can say what they think. I didn’t see the match but I’m thinking the boos aren’t the reason sarries won

Billy V made statement supporting Folau. Munster (any) fans are entitled to boo him if they disagree with his viewpoint. Billy V wasn't free speech. It was hate speech.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Erik Shun

Billy V has said what he wanted though...he got a formal warning...and then came out and stood over his post....he's bringing the game into disrepute and the RFU haven't the balls to bring him to book

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Erik Shun wrote: »
    Billy V has said what he wanted though...he got a formal warning...and then came out and stood over his post....he's bringing the game into disrepute and the RFU haven't the balls to bring him to book

If it were wigglesworth who did that he'd probably get a ban from the RFU because his not needed for the national team.

Find it amazing the Billy V is able to finish so many games with the amount he carries and big hits he takes...maybe he made a deal with "god".

Also someone calling Farrell a pr!ck while taking a kick, it's not so bizarre. His a player who in the last 18 months has gotten away with so many ridiculous no arm, high tackles it's beyond a joke. Especially when you look at the cipriani red card in Thomond before Xmas, it was predestion when compared to some of Farrell's no calls.

Commentary was very odd last night. Seemed to be a bit of tension between the varying commentators. Not sure what to make of the motm to be honest, seemed like Healy and the broadcasters were doing a bit of PR for the player and RFU.

Very disappointing result, thought Munster would have patches through the second half but Saracens were fitter and more structured in their play and it was a fairly one sided contest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

A Sarries fan wearing a Munster jersey.

The Munster press officer actually said that. That's awful.

It's very much in the traditions of the Munster Press Officer! Indeed I suspect that the late and much lamented Pat Geraghty would be very proud of his successor for uttering such words of quality, top-notch whataboutery!

• Advertisement

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    If it were wigglesworth who did that he'd probably get a ban from the RFU because his not needed for the national team.

Find it amazing the Billy V is able to finish so many games with the amount he carries and big hits he takes...maybe he made a deal with "god".

Also someone calling Farrell a pr!ck while taking a kick, it's not so bizarre. His a player who in the last 18 months has gotten away with so many ridiculous no arm, high tackles it's beyond a joke. Especially when you look at the cipriani red card in Thomond before Xmas, it was predestion when compared to some of Farrell's no calls.

Don't blame the next Irish Coach's boy for that, blame the referees with balls of candy floss.

There was one clown removed from Aviva 3 weeks ago after he was reported to stewards/gardai

Was there any other incident.?

And one clown jumped on the pitch yesterday. It needs sorted completely. If Munsters reaction is to try sweep it under the rug then we’re going down a very dodgy road.

Commentary was very odd last night. Seemed to be a bit of tension between the varying commentators. Not sure what to make of the motm to be honest, seemed like Healy and the broadcasters were doing a bit of PR for the player and RFU.

If they were, it wasn't a patch on the nauseating bowlfull of vintage Steve Jones hagiography in today's Sunday Times.

The slobbering Jones makes Eamon Dunphy look like a Pulitzer prize winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,698 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Which would you have given the man of the match to?
    If Vunipola isn't in the discussion then you are delusional.
    I think the try got him the award butbhec as brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Former Coach

Squatter wrote: »
    If they were, it wasn't a patch on the nauseating bowlfull of vintage Steve Jones hagiography in today's Sunday Times.

The slobbering Jones makes Eamon Dunphy look like a Pulitzer prize winner.

Link, or copy of piece?

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Glenomra

I thought the behaviour of the Munster fans yesterday was dire, a big blow to their wonderful reputation. Little point in being so respectful to kickers etc in Thomond Park and then ruining it all by yesterday's vile abuse. Pity

Very disappointing result, thought Munster would have patches through the second half but Saracens were fitter and more structured in their play and it was a fairly one sided contest.

I think it’s fairly telling that a lot of that commentary doesn’t seem to be up on social media any more...

A bizarre decision from them. Very little to gain and a lot to lose. Not the right hill to die on.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Which would you have given the man of the match to?
    If Vunipola isn't in the discussion then you are delusional.
    I think the try got him the award butbhec as brilliant.

I didn't say he didn't deserve it albeit I would have given it to Farrell personally.

What I did say was that the commentary was odd and the commentary specifically relating to the MOTM award took the tone of "oh hasn't he had a tough week, this will cheer him up".

And f**k that noise to be honest. Gay people have had a tough week. They get to see this hate go mainstream and then have to listen about poor Billy Vunipola and his views.

Wasn't impressed to be honest. Wasn't impressed with the supporter going after him either. A disappointing evening for sport.

Link, or copy of piece?

It’s behind a paywall isn’t it?

• Advertisement

It’s behind a paywall isn’t it?

Yep.

But here's an extract: "The occasion was diminished by constant abuse by Munster fans of Billy Vunipola. He had a tangential part in the Israel Folau affair last week, but gradually his reaction has been better understood. So whether the shocking abuse of a great player was just a reaction to Vunipola being way too good for them, or whether it was a stand by Munster people against homophobia — something of which Vunipola has never been guilty — then it was distasteful. So too shouts and general noise when Owen Farrell was preparing for kicks at goal, so too the idiot who ran on to the field after Vunipola did a TV interview, waving his hands in the face of the big man. The fool was later detained."

Advertisement