Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Saracens vs Munster, Sat 20th April, 3pm

  • 19-04-2019 10:47am
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭ thomond2006


    Saracens:
    A. Goode, D. Strettle, A. Lozowski, B. Barritt, L. Williams, O. Farrell, B. Spencer
    M. Vunipola, J. George, T. Lamositele, M. Itoje, G. Kruis, M. Rhodes, J. Wray, B. Vunipola

    Replacements
    J. Gray, R. Barrington, V. Koch, W. Skelton, S. Burger, R. Wigglesworth, N. Tompkins, A. Lewington

    Munster:
    Mike Haley; Andrew Conway, Chris Farrell, Rory Scannell, Darren Sweetnam; Tyler Bleyendaal, Conor Murray;
    Dave Kilcoyne, Niall Scannell, John Ryan; Jean Kleyn, Tadhg Beirne; Peter O’Mahony (C), Jack O’Donoghue, CJ Stander.

    Replacements: Rhys Marshall, Jeremy Loughman, Stephen Archer, Billy Holland, Arno Botha, Alby Mathewson, JJ Hanrahan, Dan Goggin.

    Can Munster break what is becoming a tradition of a semi-final exit? The odds are against them as they travel to Coventry to face Saracens.

    Ref: Jérome Garcès (France) Assis Ref 1: Romain Poite (France) Assis Ref 2: Mathieu Raynal (France) TMO: Philippe Bonhoure (France)


«13456719

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 10,433 ✭✭✭✭ Cookiemunster


    KO is 3pm.


  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭ thomond2006


    KO is 3pm.

    Dang. I can't change on my mobile, if a mod could oblige?


  • Registered Users Posts: 19,228 ✭✭✭✭ Venjur


    Those are two really disappointing injuries, they've both been brilliant for Munster this season.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭ twinytwo


    Garces wont do this game any favours thats for sure.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭ Jewelers


    Munster: Mike Haley; Andrew Conway, Chris Farrell, Rory Scannell, Darren Sweetnam; Tyler Bleyendaal, Conor Murray; Dave Kilcoyne, Niall Scannell, John Ryan; Jean Kleyn, Tadhg Beirne; Peter O’Mahony (C), Jack O’Donoghue, CJ Stander.

    Replacements: Rhys Marshall, Jeremy Loughman, Stephen Archer, Billy Holland, Arno Botha, Alby Mathewson, JJ Hanrahan, Dan Goggin.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭ Rattlehead_ie


    Honestly after seeing what Bleyendaal did in the quarter, Im happy with that team except for missing Earls, Its a strong team and capable.


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,433 ✭✭✭✭ Cookiemunster


    Saracens

    A. Goode, S. Maitland, A. Lozowski, B. Barritt, L. Williams, O. Farrell, B. Spencer
    M. Vunipola, J. George, T. Lamositele, M. Itoje, G. Kruis, M. Rhodes, J. Wray, B. Vunipola

    Replacements
    J. Gray, R. Barrington, V. Koch, W. Skelton, S. Burger, R. Wigglesworth, N. Tompkins, D. Strettle


  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭ thomond2006


    Sweetnam is a good replacement but Munster lose a cutting edge in Earls' absence. He's been playing the best rugby of his career. On the positive side, Jean Kleyn starts despite reports he was injured. He's a vital part of that pack.


  • Registered Users Posts: 20,628 ✭✭✭✭ phog


    This is a contradiction in terms Earls is a huge loss but I'm very happy with Sweetnam and Goggin, both have cup experience but they're up against a very good team, a team who must have one eye on winning the Championship again this year.

    Nervous but excited.

    #SUAF


  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭ rooney30


    That’s a fiercesome looking Saracens pack on paper . Big ask


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭ Buer


    rooney30 wrote:
    That’s a fiercesome looking Saracens pack on paper . Big ask

    If they win, it will be the most impressive and unexpected result in this tournament since beating Leicester in 2003. Saracens are an absolutely formidable side.

    Carbery is a loss due to his goal kicking and ability to spark a break but on general play, I think TB is no worse. But Earls is a big game and a big moment player. I like Sweetnam but there's a gulf between Earls and any other Irish winger.

    Munster are going to need a huge performance and a little bit of luck today but stranger things have happened. If they get their discipline and tight play right, it could be a very tight game.


  • Registered Users Posts: 31 werenotthere


    Is this match being shown on virgin? Or is it only bt
    ?


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭ cython


    Is this match being shown on virgin? Or is it only bt
    ?

    Tournament site only mentions BT/BeIN. I think they get one each, and terrestrial got tomorrow's.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭ twinytwo


    Buer wrote: »
    If they win, it will be the most impressive and unexpected result in this tournament since beating Leicester in 2003. Saracens are an absolutely formidable side.

    Carbery is a loss due to his goal kicking and ability to spark a break but on general play, I think TB is no worse. But Earls is a big game and a big moment player. I like Sweetnam but there's a gulf between Earls and any other Irish winger.

    Munster are going to need a huge performance and a little bit of luck today but stranger things have happened. If they get their discipline and tight play right, it could be a very tight game.

    Serious team, but what happens if the alleged work around with wray to breach the salary cap is confirmed? And saracens go to win the final again?


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭ bobbyss


    The English side will win with at least twenty to spare.


  • Registered Users Posts: 780 Kirk Van Houten


    twinytwo wrote: »
    Buer wrote: »
    If they win, it will be the most impressive and unexpected result in this tournament since beating Leicester in 2003. Saracens are an absolutely formidable side.

    Carbery is a loss due to his goal kicking and ability to spark a break but on general play, I think TB is no worse. But Earls is a big game and a big moment player. I like Sweetnam but there's a gulf between Earls and any other Irish winger.

    Munster are going to need a huge performance and a little bit of luck today but stranger things have happened. If they get their discipline and tight play right, it could be a very tight game.

    Serious team, but what happens if the alleged work around with wray to breach the salary cap is confirmed? And saracens go to win the final again?
    It may not look good but there is no salary cap in the European competition.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 Former Former


    twinytwo wrote: »
    Serious team, but what happens if the alleged work around with wray to breach the salary cap is confirmed? And saracens go to win the final again?

    Does that matter for Europe?

    The salary cap in France is much higher than in England and there's none at all for the provinces so I don't think it would take away from a European win.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭ twinytwo


    Does that matter for Europe?

    The salary cap in France is much higher than in England and there's none at all for the provinces so I don't think it would take away from a European win.

    The provinces have their own restrictions. I think it would, they win with a team they should not have. The salary cap is there for a reason? Maybe they should remove it and watch the clubs spend themselves into collapse?


  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 irishbucsfan


    Does that matter for Europe?

    No


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 Squatter


    bobbyss wrote: »
    The English side will win with at least twenty to spare.

    So you're saying that Sarries' South African imports are better than Munster's South African imports?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 irishbucsfan


    Squatter wrote: »
    So you're saying that Sarries' South African imports are better than Munster's South African imports?

    The only South African import starting for Sarries is a capped England international?


  • Registered Users Posts: 32,975 ✭✭✭✭ PTH2009


    Come on Munster

    Tbh this is a massive ask but no pressure and give it everything


  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭ thomond2006


    Per Chris Foy, 8,000 Munster supporters are expected to attend versus 4,000 for Saracens.


  • Registered Users Posts: 19,228 ✭✭✭✭ Venjur


    Per Chris Foy, 8,000 Munster supporters are expected to attend versus 4,000 for Saracens.

    I wonder which dressing room this tweet will be pinned up in...!


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,593 ✭✭✭✭ stephen_n


    Can’t see past a Saracen’s win, their pack is too powerful for Munster to bully. With Earls gone and Carberry out, the Munster backline is going to require Farrell and Conway to have big games. I just see Saracens strangling them up front though, so there won’t be much to work with.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 kingofthekong


    Saracens by 20 but hope I'm wrong


  • Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭ Mister Gooey


    If Munster play like they did against Edinburgh, they will get thumped. The forwards need an exceptional day at the office!


  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭ thomond2006


    stephen_n wrote: »
    Can’t see past a Saracen’s win, their pack is too powerful for Munster to bully. With Earls gone and Carberry out, the Munster backline is going to require Farrell and Conway to have big games. I just see Saracens strangling them up front though, so there won’t be much to work with.

    The Munster pack is stronger than the 2017 game. Kleyn and Beirne is an upgrade from Ryan and Holland.


  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ selassie


    Munster are perennial bottlers in european semi finals, today will be no different.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 irishbucsfan


    selassie wrote: »
    Munster are perennial bottlers in european semi finals, today will be no different.

    Joint 2nd-most semi-final wins in competition history :pac:


Advertisement