Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Load of rubbish.

They know their marketing message would be lost in the current U.S media storm. So they delayed the stream.

They dont give a hoot about issues. Now they are just looking to score some woke points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Load of rubbish.

They know their marketing message would be lost in the current U.S media storm. So they delayed the stream.

They dont give a hoot about issues. Now they are just looking to score some woke points.

Thank you for stating the obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Would be interesting to see when they reschedule their event for.

I would wager the start of July at the earliest, as anything sooner would take a dump on TLoU2's release.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Hopefully this all doesnt lead to a delayed release. Seems to be vey little hype about the launch which I guess is only natural considering we know very little..

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

The only thing that will or could lead to a delay is factories in China shut down due to C19. The fact all of them have been opened now for a couple of weeks is good news.

TBH I can see why people are annoyed this got postponed but to me I actually couldn't care less. I'm 80% sure I'll be buying one of these but I don't see a day-one order perhaps a jan-feb purchase. Whilst that's the case I can wait for more information in the 7-8 months before then.

• Advertisement

I think there's a close to 50/50 chance that the system will be delayed (into 2021). It's not just about factories shutting down, it's about Western engineers not being able to get into China, it's about OS guys working from home for months, readiness of launch lineup ... there's so many factors that people tend to overlook or simplify.

I don't want to jinx it, I hope it releases in time. I expect the original target would have been mid Nov as per many previous launches. If it slips even a month (to mid Dec) it'll be a ****show in terms of availability for xmas.

We'll see. This cancelled event would have been a useful barometer of how things are progressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Load of rubbish.

Now isn't really the time man, but go on, get them Sony digs in, it's tiring at this stage...

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

I think there's a close to 50/50 chance that the system will be delayed (into 2021). It's not just about factories shutting down, it's about Western engineers not being able to get into China, it's about OS guys working from home for months, readiness of launch lineup ... there's so many factors that people tend to overlook or simplify.

I don't want to jinx it, I hope it releases in time. I expect the original target would have been mid Nov as per many previous launches. If it slips even a month (to mid Dec) it'll be a ****show in terms of availability for xmas.

We'll see. This cancelled event would have been a useful barometer of how things are progressing.

Apparently games in the later states of development are fairing fine, it’s games that require mocap and all this close contact stuff that this will delay. So the knock on effect will be next year.

MS says that they’re coping really well, and I don’t see how Sony or Nintendo could be any different.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,207 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Fieldog wrote: »
    Now isn't really the time man, but go on, get them Sony digs in, it's tiring at this stage...

:rolleyes:

Just leaving this here, without comment.

https://twitter.com/xbox/status/1267583493254475777?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

As little as four days ago, Jim Ryan said they were still on track to launch in 2020.

• Advertisement

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    As little as four days ago, Jim Ryan said they were still on track to launch in 2020.
    I'm aware of that. Sony and Microsoft have both affirmed that they intend to launch in 2020. It doesn't change my assessment.

I'm hopeful that their confidence is well placed but Covid has been a ****show and it's not behind us yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

At this late in the game the only people heading to China would be operational line to ensure QA. The design of the next-gen consoles have been locked down now for close to a year if not longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Just leaving this here, without comment.

https://twitter.com/xbox/status/1267583493254475777?s=21

Console hugs all around people, I'm weary and just sad watching what is going in the world at the moment.... :(

Can't we all just love one another and blow each other up on Warzone or something? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Fieldog wrote: »
    Can't we all just love one another and blow each other up on Warzone or something? ;)

Absoutely but no. We have to be virtue signalled by Playstation and Xbox. Playstation in particular.
    We have to listen to more important voices apparently. No PS5 reveal until then.

Seriously, what would you have had them do?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Seriously, what would you have had them do?

Continue as normal. Everything is jumping on board this again. There's no need for it. Yes, the incident was shocking and shouldn't have happened, but it shouldn't shut down the world. It's an America problem imo, and one that's well known and documented. But it's also up to America to sort it. More people get killed in Brazil by cops per capita, but no one stops what they're doing for that. All these protests are for America, a country which everyone but most Americans know is an actual backwards shytehole in a lot of places.

To me, it's bandwagoning and nothing more. Add into the dopes going to mass protests in the middle of a fcuking pandemic! I'm not against the movement, it is needed, I just don't believe the alleged sincerity, the faux empathy, it's the cool thing now to change your profile picture to just black.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Totally agree it's America's problem and half of them are on the wrong side of it. This won't change any gamers' view on the issue, though I did see a comment on Reddit along the lines of "this is all Black Lives Matter's fault". There's horrible injustice and inequality in the US and worldwide but this token gesture from game companies is just ludicrous.

I can wait for the PS reveal or Warzone updates I'm really not bothered, it's just I don't see the point of what they are doing.

Edit: In hindsight, I won't get into this. Hopefully things just get back to normal soon, for everyone's sake. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Continue as normal. Everything is jumping on board this again. There's no need for it. Yes, the incident was shocking and shouldn't have happened, but it shouldn't shut down the world. It's an America problem imo, and one that's well known and documented. But it's also up to America to sort it. More people get killed in Brazil by cops per capita, but no one stops what they're doing for that. All these protests are for America, a country which everyone but most Americans know is an actual backwards shytehole in a lot of places.

To me, it's bandwagoning and nothing more. Add into the dopes going to mass protests in the middle of a fcuking pandemic! I'm not against the movement, it is needed, I just don't believe the alleged sincerity, the faux empathy, it's the cool thing now to change your profile picture to just black.

It's simply a case of; there's a time and a place. Someone announcing they have cancer isn't the time to jump into the conversation and talk about how you just got a pay rise.

There is a significant historical civil rights event happening right now in America, and that does ripple out worldwide given the scale of protests and marches in other countries, even in the midst of an on-going pandemic. Yes, I have no doubt many individuals, companies, entities etc are doing things like this to give themselves the warm fuzzy feeling inside and not really care about whether or not any change actually happens or being part of that change, but regardless, now isn't the time for a company like Sony to say "And I don't know if you noticed, but the controller is both white.... and black...."

• Registered Users Posts: 29,576 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Penn wrote: »
    but regardless, now isn't the time for a company like Sony to say "And I don't know if you noticed, but the controller is both white.... and black...."

"Black Controllers Matter"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,207 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yes, the incident was shocking and shouldn't have happened, but it shouldn't shut down the world. It's an America problem imo, and one that's well known and documented. But it's also up to America to sort it.

It isn’t shutting down the entire world, though - it’s leading to things like this PS5 launch being postponed precisely because such events are being transmitted to an audience that is, in large part, American. It’s typically the first or second biggest region for console sales; most English-language media and video-makers are based there; many developers and people who design hardware live there; many of the stores that will sell PS5s are there (some of which are likely closed at the minute!). So given how important lots of that will be for video game PR, it’s not surprising they’ve opted to hold off for a bit. It’s no question a practical thing more than a moral thing (although I’m sure some staff are genuinely concerned and upset about the unfolding situation).

I’m not a fan of corporate statements of solidarity unless they’re extremely strongly worded (look up Ben & Jerry’s - the ice-cream kids aren’t ****ing around!) or matched with meaningful action (such as Humble launching a substantial fund to help support black developers). If anything, I think we need to be distrustful of corporations hijacking such events - see, for example, people blocking up Instagram with black squares and #BlackLivesMatter while drowning out the potentially vital information about the situation on the ground for street-level protesters. This is a fight that won’t be won by filling Instagram with blank spaces for a day, or by a video games company changing an avatar for 24 hours. I can see why some people feel they need to make some public display of solidarity, even a futile one - but a breakfast cereal twitter account tweeting about police brutality isn’t getting us anywhere. Instead, it’s the story on the streets of U.S. cities that matters right now. And yes, a PS5 reveal event will be a) drowned out or b) potentially seem tone-deaf in the particular circumstance given how American audiences will be one of the key target audiences for whatever’s going to be announced. Hell, we don’t know what games were going to be revealed - you *definitely* couldn’t show The Division 3 or Rainbow Six Siege 2 in the current circumstances :pac:

We’re an Irish audience, and life is ticking over here as it was (albeit in the context of the pandemic) despite events in the U.S. A PS5 event trailer reel being delayed for a little bit is very, very minor in the context of international unrest. Because, above all else, the event wasn’t just aimed at an Irish audience - it was also aimed at an audience that has far bigger concerns right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,251 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

mdwexford wrote: »

Is that the reason why actually, assumed it was because of the virus.

They announced it last week. They'd hardly cancel it a week later because of the virus.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Totally agree it's America's problem and half of them are on the wrong side of it. This won't change any gamers' view on the issue, though I did see a comment on Reddit along the lines of "this is all Black Lives Matter's fault". There's horrible injustice and inequality in the US and worldwide but this token gesture from game companies is just ludicrous.

I can wait for the PS reveal or Warzone updates I'm really not bothered, it's just I don't see the point of what they are doing.

Really? It's not that difficult. 2 reasons. Good marketing strategy, can jump on the back of massive support the protests in America have and also, the PS5 launch will do better in a slower news week. It makes no difference when they do it, it's just an advertisement for the PS5

No one is going to buy a PS5 because of this "marketing strategy". I also think the people actually interested in the launch trailer would still be interested if the world was going up in flames.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    No one is going to buy a PS5 because of this "marketing strategy". I also think the people actually interested in the launch trailer would still be interested if the world was going up in flames.

No one is going to buy a PS4 because it has their name beside the football pitch of a champions league game either, eh?
    This is how marketing works. Good publicity for their brand. They probably got lots for how they handled the protests over the weekend and decided to continue from there.

Cienciano wrote: »
    No one is going to buy a PS4 because it has their name beside the football pitch of a champions league game either, eh?
    This is how marketing works. Good publicity for their brand. They probably got lots for how they handled the protests over the weekend and decided to continue from there.

Yeah I'll admit I don't get marketing but I'm the guy who ends up with a fridge full of cuke.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Indeed, the cancellation of the reveal is just marketing 101. No marketing team worth their salt would allow a milestone announcement take place in an environment where it won't have maximum impact. They don't care about the people who would watch the reveal no matter what, they're the chumps who will buy anything they put a PS5 sticker on.

A patent reveals the layout of the devkit. One one side of the board is a large heatsink, angled. On the other side is the power supply, also angled. Each has a shroud with 3 fans, they pull air from the central "pizza slice" and exhaust it outwards and backwards.

515265.png

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

A patent reveals the layout of the devkit. One one side of the board is a large heatsink, angled. On the other side is the power supply, also angled. Each has a shroud with 3 fans, they pull air from the central "pizza slice" and exhaust it outwards and backwards.

515265.png

I said it when the dev kit first leaked how strange it was that they patented it, which led me to think the retail box will will incorporate some design elements like the v -although much more refined.

This just adds to that. They’re going to a lot of effort patenting a dev kit, which I’ve never heard of happening before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,881 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah, isn't the devkit usually just a box, since it doesn't need to look like anything. The only reason I can see devkits being like this is because they want to trial the design as well

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement