Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

I cannot see why you would need so much cooling for a power supply, typically they just pass the hot air off the heatsink through the power supply and that does a good enough job of keeping it from overheating. In this design they've gone to lengths to give the left and right side of the system their own dedicated cooling system and their own supply of cool air.

You could be forgiven for assuming there is something more than the power supply on the right hand side that's running hot enough to need it's own cooling, it's just not being shown. Or maybe the designer just liked symmetry :pac:

Interesting all the same. I doubt the retail system would have 6 fans, that would be nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I doubt the retail system would have 6 fans, that would be nuts.

maybe it's going to hover in the air. the future has arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,491 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Fans were meant to be run at a constant speed so hopefully they're 80mm rather than 60 as if they were they're going to be at a seriously high speed.

If all the air is being drawn through the V rather then they should have room to stick a filter in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I was completely unaware of the drama, but apparently Tim Sweeney and Linus had a to-do online over conflicting claims about the PS5's SSD. Seems Linus was off the mark and has had to eat crow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,491 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    I was completely unaware of the drama, but apparently Tim Sweeney and Linus had a to-do online over conflicting claims about the PS5's SSD. Seems Linus was off the mark and has had to eat crow.

It wasn't so much a to do but more a few dismissive and joke comments that then randoms on the Internet piled in each way.

But ye he was at faults as they've literally done projects themselves that proved the point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,257 ✭✭✭✭Penn

https://www.ign.com/articles/ps5-reveal-event-rescheduled-for-june-11

Sony's PS5 event seemingly rescheduled for this Thursday, June 11th

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Penn wrote:
    Sony's PS5 event seemingly rescheduled for this Thursday, June 11th

Excellent! Will be great to have some news on it.

Yeah, genuinely looking forward to it. I read on another forum that RE8 is strongly rumoured to be revealed in the event (by that guy who got the previous leaks mostly correct).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,897 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Redo91

I know there isn’t much lighting but does that controller not look all black? Would love it if that was the case!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Redo91 wrote: »
    I know there isn’t much lighting but does that controller not look all black? Would love it if that was the case!

It would be dirty if they revealed it to be a white controller in shade, getting people's hopes up. Looks really class in all black.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    It would be dirty if they revealed it to be a white controller in shade, getting people's hopes up. Looks really class in all black.

I'm sure within a few months there'll be different variations, including all black. So long as the battery lasts a lot longer than the PS4 one, the default white/black one could be a reserve you only need for emergencies.

Penn wrote: »
    I'm sure within a few months there'll be different variations, including all black. So long as the battery lasts a lot longer than the PS4 one, the default white/black one could be a reserve you only need for emergencies.

They can make it rainbow coloured if it had a good battery. Silly but my 2 biggest hopes for next gen are quiet fan noise and long lasting DS battery.

They can make it rainbow coloured if it had a good battery. Silly but my 2 biggest hopes for next gen are quiet fan noise and long lasting DS battery.

I'm with you on both. Neither is currently that big an issue for me (even the fan noise isn't that bad most of the time even though I'm waiting on tools to take a stab at fixing it), but they're still negatives that should definitely be addressed for the next console.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Yeah, same here. I have an aftermarket controller for the switch and the battery lasts weeks. Couldn't give a rats ass what colour it is. I think USB-c is already confirmed which is far more important than the colour too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

2 controllers, no battery problem.
    Fan noise has been an issue for me sporadically on certain games but I guess I got lucky in this regard.
    I'm just hoping my PS pro doesn't die before it launches but I have a backup standard PS4......ewwww

• Registered Users Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Are many of you trading in your PS4's for the new PS5?

Jordan 199 wrote: »

I'm counting on trading it to GS or selling it to CEX as a chunk towards the PS5, yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,897 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

They are advising people to watch Thursday's event with headphones
    It’s also best if you watch while wearing headphones, if you can — there’s some cool audio work in the show, and it might be harder to appreciate if it’s pumped through your phone or laptop speakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

That pic definitely looks like a white controller in shadow to me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭RedXIV

No, but then I have a problem with collecting consoles as it is. I'm sure my wife would prefer me to trade it in to reduce the number of "boxes" around the TV :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I'll look to sell for cash on Adverts in September or so to maybe get ahead of the flood that will come in the couple weeks before the launch

Now if trade in offers can leave me in much the same place as selling it then I'll do that but they surely can't do much of a trade in offer or else their warehouses wouldn't be able to hold all the PS4s

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Found it's always good to keep your old consoles and games. You can always go back in years to come and relive them.

Sure you could argue in 15 years time there will be a PS4 mini out there but still :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

RedXIV wrote: »
    No, but then I have a problem with collecting consoles as it is. I'm sure my wife would prefer me to trade it in to reduce the number of "boxes" around the TV :D
    I have five consoles (four Xbox's and one PlayStation) so there's a good chance a One X might be traded or sold to fund a new PS5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Akesh

Found it's always good to keep your old consoles and games. You can always go back in years to come and relive them.

Sure you could argue in 15 years time there will be a PS4 mini out there but still :p

I've every console I ever owned, some were sold and then re-purchased. One thing I never do is play old games on the original device yet I have boxes full of games, PS1, PS2, PS3, Xbox, 360, SNES etc.

The nostalgia of playing GTA III on PS2 or Super Mario Kart on the SNES is soon lost when you realise that there are better ways of playing older games in the modern era.

Recently, I just purchased Bioshock on the SNES instead of replaying it on the 360.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,109 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Akesh wrote: »
    Bioshock on the SNES

I must have missed that ambitious port :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Akesh wrote: »
    I've every console I ever owned, some were sold and then re-purchased. One thing I never do is play old games on the original device yet I have boxes full of games, PS1, PS2, PS3, Xbox, 360, SNES etc.

The nostalgia of playing GTA III on PS2 or Super Mario Kart on the SNES is soon lost when you realise that there are better ways of playing older games in the modern era.

Recently, I just purchased Bioshock on the SNES instead of replaying it on the 360.

I bought tons of retro consoles around 10 years ago and swore when i had the room I'd set them all up properly......then the next kid arrived :(

I'm thinking of selling mine now. Not playing it much at the moment, and it means I'll still have a few games left to play at the PS5's launch (if there aren't many launch titles that tickle my fancy).

They are advising people to watch Thursday's event with headphones

Nice one, thanks. Excited to hear (guffaw) what they have in store. I'm always banging on about how game audio needs to be improved. With VR becoming more popular, and ray tracing being introduced, now is the time!

• Advertisement

I must have missed that ambitious port :p

They had to take some small unnecessary features out of the game for that port. So now it's just the pipe-hacking puzzles.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement