Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,926 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Price's will probably be €549 or €599 here then I'd imagine?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,942 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Price's will probably be €549 or €599 here then I'd imagine?
    If there is a shortage the price will probably be high due to demand at release

• Registered Users Posts: 21,380 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I probably would go as high as €499, but I couldn’t justify any more than that even if it is a beast of a machine. Yeah seems pre-ordering will be essential alright, got my launch PS4 at Argos with a huge slice of luck since I didn’t plan ahead, no way I’m going to take such a gamble this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,873 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Well, that decides it. Once the shops are open again I'll throw down a pre-order. Not gonna chance it and suddenly have GameStop go under and take my deposit!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Just thinking the same recently, kinda worried since I put half the deposit down in gamestop already and not sure if they'll be around after all this :(

• Advertisement

To be honest, might be the first time I pre-order and purchase a console from Smyths. Whatever about GameStop, Smyths should stay open due to it being mainly a toy shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,603 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Smyths is a good shout but I'm looking to trade my pro against it and i think Gamestop will be the only shop to offer that. Either that or sell to cex first but hoping GS have some kind of deal with a minimum deposit on case they aren't around by launch.

Might actually do the same. Was going to hold onto it, but what's the point. Only thing is, I've an SSD in it, so I'd probably have to remove that, and they mightn't take it then because the seal is broke.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Might actually do the same. Was going to hold onto it, but what's the point. Only thing is, I've an SSD in it, so I'd probably have to remove that, and they mightn't take it then because the seal is broke.

That doesn't void your warranty.

F1ngers wrote: »
    That doesn't void your warranty.

Really? Interesting. They wouldn't take a controller because the barcode on the sticker on the back was faded (as it does when being held), but you can swap out the HDD and no problems? Baffling. Might swap it back so before trading in, keep my SSD for my PC!

• Advertisement

Really? Interesting. They wouldn't take a controller because the barcode on the sticker on the back was faded (as it does when being held), but you can swap out the HDD and no problems? Baffling. Might swap it back so before trading in, keep my SSD for my PC!

When I was trading in my ps4 for a ps4 pro Gamestop wouldn't take it due to the sticker missing as I had replaced hard drive. Just bought replacement sticker off Ebay and traded in at different store

• Registered Users Posts: 29,603 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I think it was the pro introduced the stickerless way of opening your console and not voiding the warranty. I had looked it up when i was trying to clean the inside.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I think it was the pro introduced the stickerless way of opening your console and not voiding the warranty. I had looked it up when i was trying to clean the inside.

There's a clear blue sticker going over the case and cover, might just get some glue and chance it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Varik

There's no sticker required to be removed to change either PS4s' drive.

Pretty sure you took off a sticker and unscrewed a screw you didn't need to.

Varik wrote: »
    There's no sticker required to be removed to change either PS4s' drive.

Pretty sure you took off a sticker and unscrewed a screw you didn't need to.

I remember now, you have to take off the sticker to clean the fan, it has nothing to do with changing the hard drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Ye reckon we should be just able to download our digital ps4 games onto the ps5? Hadnt considered trading the PS4 but if we can do this then makes sense to do so and save a few bob.

I don't know what to tell ye lads, but there was a clear blue sticker going over the cover for the HDD and case of the PS4. I still have it, and all I've ever done was change the drive, never went near the fans.

I don't know what to tell ye lads, but there was a clear blue sticker going over the cover for the HDD and case of the PS4. I still have it, and all I've ever done was change the drive, never went near the fans.

Can you snap a picture.

It definitely was over the cover and case, because I'm anal about things and I had it "stuck" back on where it was until the glue evaporated and won't stick anymore. There's no writing on it. You can still see the line where it was folder over.

(Sorry about the image size, S10 doesn't let you adjust image resolution, only video res)

Edit: You can just about see it on the console on the right in this pic:

main-qimg-aa4ab414d75d60e41e3899cb5a21ef83

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

It definitely was over the cover and case, because I'm anal about things and I had it "stuck" back on where it was until the glue evaporated and won't stick anymore. There's no writing on it. You can still see the line where it was folder over.

(Sorry about the image size, S10 doesn't let you adjust image resolution, only video res)

Edit: You can just about see it on the console on the right in this pic:

That's nowhere near the HD, to replace the HD you slide the top cover off, that's it, no stickers.
    If you did remove a sticker, you very well may have violated the warranty.

I looked at my OHs slim and my pro, there is no blue tape on the case/cover in the area as in your pic.

• Advertisement

That's just tape to hold the HDD bay on while being transported, quick google shows that some that you're not unique but it's rare enough.

That's nowhere near the HD, to replace the HD you slide the top cover off, that's it, no stickers.

I looked at my OHs slim and my pro, there is no blue tape on the case/cover in the area as in your pic.

I think that's only applicable to the base model, you only remove the HDD cover on the Pro:

hqdefault.jpg
    Varik wrote: »
    That's just tape to hold the HDD bay on while being transported, quick google shows that some that you're not unique but it's rare enough.

That's how anal I am about most my tech, wouldn't dare remove it before then just in case! And makes sense, there's no screw holding on the case, it just clicks out (then you need to unscrew the HDD iirc). Thanks!

Only the original PS4 had it on the top, the rest on on the bottom near the rear in 2 different places.

For the Pro it is where that blue tape is.
    That's how anal I am about most my tech, wouldn't dare remove it before then just in case! And makes sense, there's no screw holding on the case, it just clicks out (then you need to unscrew the HDD iirc). Thanks!

Ye it's just tape, same as some old disc drive having tape on them to stop them popping out if jostled around. I'd take it off if you don't want gamestop or whoever wondering if the drive slot is dodgy and the tape there to hold it together.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Sidford

Can anyone remember what sort of trade in offers were around for launch of the PS4? I could put up without having the PS4 for a few months if it meant getting an extra 100-150 for private sale rather than a trade in against the PS5. With games I have could get maybe 250 for what I have for private sale but if could get say 200+ against a trade in then not really worth selling privately in advance of ps5 launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Last of us 2 is the only reason I haven't availed of the mad second hand prices seemingly achieveable for my pro. Although I think that is going to end up being a PS5 launch title.

I've a pro and a launch console, I'll think I'll trade the pro into CEX as soon as the world reopens and keep the launch going until PS5. Get an extra ~10-15 for still having the box too.

PS4 is good enough for most games, and when the PS5 launches with BC it kinda makes the Pro redundant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Unreal Engine 5 has been announced with a real-time demo running on the PS5

A longer video detailing what is happening on screen and show more interactions was also released

It's pretty impressive, but we have seen these sort of tech demos before.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Vyse Remastered

Very impressive video. And this is what I would expect from next gen but I remember this real time video from the PS4 reveal. Blew me away at the time. Don't even think we will see this level of fidelity from next gen.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Thanks to a pet related accident my 500GB PS4 has unexpectedly been decommissioned. Doesn't look like it can be salvaged. I was going to use it as an excuse to pick up a pro. However, I have read that the PS5 could be with us as early as November. I have a PSVR as well and a backlog of VR games to get through. I also want to make sure I get to play Final Fantasy 7 remake and The Last of Us 2.

Would it be a waste of money buying a PS4 Pro at this stage? I'm not an early adopter by any means and wouldn't normally be picking up a PS5 on release, but don't want to invest money in a PS4 pro now if it is essentially end of life. Has it been confirmed the PS5 is backwards compatible? And will the current gen PSVR work with it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd probably hold off. PS4 meant to be backwards compatible with a majority of games. FF7 Remake is coming to PC in April so you can bet there is a PS5 version that will be coming as well that will fix some of the technical issues with that game.

Maybe try pick up a cheap PS4 standard to tide you over?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement